Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X-men n00b help.

Options
  • 10-05-2009 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

After seeing xmen origins the other day in the cinema I can't get enough of deadpool lately, any suggestions on where i should start reading from/the best arcs to check out in the deadpool series?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Deadpool has always been one of my fav characters and have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the film version. He's a character whose best bits tend to be story arcs where he isn't the main character but just turns up to annoy the **** out of everyone else. Any appearance in X-Force was always pure gold, some really good stuff from just after the AOA storyline till just before the whole Onslaught arc [mid 90's Nicieza's, who created Deadpool, later stuff on it and Moore's run], great issue where him and Siryn are trapped in a mental hospital. No clue if there's trades for that period as I picked up the single issues when they came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

ztoical wrote: »
    Deadpool has always been one of my fav characters and have to say I wasn't overly impressed with the film version. He's a character whose best bits tend to be story arcs where he isn't the main character but just turns up to annoy the **** out of everyone else. Any appearance in X-Force was always pure gold, some really good stuff from just after the AOA storyline till just before the whole Onslaught arc [mid 90's Nicieza's, who created Deadpool, later stuff on it and Moore's run], great issue where him and Siryn are trapped in a mental hospital. No clue if there's trades for that period as I picked up the single issues when they came out.

I know there is a trade of a Deadpool limited series which features Banshee and Syren, Which is a good read.

I have not read much of the stuff Ztocial has mentioned but I think if you're new to the whole thing the easiest place for you to start would be the Cable/Deadpool trades. They should be easily available and are a good read. As Ztocial said Deadpool tends to be better when he has another character to work with and Cable fills that role.

Also his solo series from the late 90's was good but will be harder to find because I don't think it was collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

All the above mentions are great, especially cable+deadpool. Also if you're interested there is a "wolverine and deadpool" collectors edition out once a month in most newsagents. I've been collecting it for a while now. That's pretty nice to pick up for a bit for something to just hop into.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

Deadpool is in the current Mesiah war crossover of cable and xforce, he pure class in it. Comics are great anyway, great art as well from Crain and Olivetti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bmthlove

Asmodean wrote: »
    All the above mentions are great, especially cable+deadpool. Also if you're interested there is a "wolverine and deadpool" collectors edition out once a month in most newsagents. I've been collecting it for a while now. That's pretty nice to pick up for a bit for something to just hop into.

Might check out Eason's on O Connell St. tommorow, see if they have it, thanks for all yer help!

Im determined to bone up on my deadpool trivia in time for the origins movie fox have just announced, ridic excited :)

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool? Good/Bad or just plain ugly? Any opinions?

• Advertisement

bmthlove wrote: »

Im determined to bone up on my deadpool trivia in time for the origins movie fox have just announced, ridic excited :)

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool? Good/Bad or just plain ugly? Any opinions?

Which origins movie is this? Magneto?

I actually quite liked Ryan Reynolds as deadpool, tho pity the sowed up his mouth at the end.

subedei wrote: »
    Which origins movie is this? Magneto?

I actually quite liked Ryan Reynolds as deadpool, tho pity the sowed up his mouth at the end.

Nah, fox have now announced that not only will they be making a magneto origins, but also a sequel to wolverine origins, a deadpool origins movie and also the green light has been given to a movie called
    X-Men: First Class too. apparently it is intended to be about the young Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Storm, and others who attended Xavier's school with them.

And possibly an as of yet untitled gambit movie.
    What with Star Trek out at the minute and all these to look forward to it's a good time to be a nerd! :D

bmthlove wrote: »
    Nah, fox have now announced that not only will they be making a magneto origins, but also a sequel to wolverine origins, a deadpool origins movie and also the green light has been given to a movie called
    X-Men: First Class too. apparently it is intended to be about the young Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Storm, and others who attended Xavier's school with them.

And possibly an as of yet untitled gambit movie.
    What with Star Trek out at the minute and all these to look forward to it's a good time to be a nerd! :D

Cool, gambit, deadpool would be cool, tho would be a bit fearful of a young xmen movie, might be too orientated to kids

subedei wrote: »
    Cool, gambit, deadpool would be cool, tho would be a bit fearful of a young xmen movie, might be too orientated to kids

Yeah im not too gone on the idea either, i'm having visions of the cringey x-babies saga all over again...the horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RAMAN

The new Deadpool ongoing is good fun. Also started reading the Deadpool Cable trades and they are top class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 thomasmi

having sold my 1960s comics out about ,to search!

thomasmi wrote: »
    having sold my 1960s comics out about ,to search!

:confused:

RAMAN wrote: »
    The new Deadpool ongoing is good fun. Also started reading the Deadpool Cable trades and they are top class.

Really enjoying Deadpool atm. Regards the film, well I had some hopes for it but every piece of news I read regarding it kills some of it.

RobLiefeld is one of the writers rumoured to be working on it and if that's the case well we can only hope to see it in the next decade.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wait, wait, wait...are you telling me that you'd actually pay to watch a film, knowing that it was written by Rob Liefeld? I mean, dude. No. It's bad enough people made his artwork sell as well as it did in the 90s, but don't encourage him to write as well!

Fysh wrote: »
    Wait, wait, wait...are you telling me that you'd actually pay to watch a film, knowing that it was written by Rob Liefeld? I mean, dude. No. It's bad enough people made his artwork sell as well as it did in the 90s, but don't encourage him to write as well!

Not at all, I may pirate it though. Initially I thought that a Deadpool could be really good if done properly but ever piece of news about it since then has killed a bit of that hope. Liefeld's involvement kinda killed the last of it.

I don't think I ever recovered from his infamous Captain America picture. It makes me throw up a little in my mouth everytime I see it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Heh, what little I've seen of Deadpool does have a lot of potential for a decent action comedy (I'm thinking along the lines of Crank in terms of tone and humour) but there's no way someone like Liefeld would produce a film worth watching unless he's secretly been hiding his ability to write for all these years...

Fysh wrote: »
    Heh, what little I've seen of Deadpool does have a lot of potential for a decent action comedy (I'm thinking along the lines of Crank in terms of tone and humour) but there's no way someone like Liefeld would produce a film worth watching unless he's secretly been hiding his ability to write for all these years...

I had to laugh at the last part of your post. I don't think someone as shallow as Liefeld has anywhere to hide talent.

Doen right it could be fantastic, but I seriously doubt that Marvel are going to let it be anything above a PG13 in the States so any hope of a Crankesque epic are out the door. Then again the Punisher was anythign but PG13, shame though that the studio didn't like the dark route Jane and Henslaigh wanted to take the sequel, but that's a discussion for another thread.

Reynolds seems to be a genuine fan of the character and comics in general and with his rep on the up with every role perhaps he could use it to try and get a film which is true to the character. I think there is one thing that we can all agree on, even if Liefeld is involved at least they managed to keep Nic Cage away.

Can you imagine, Deadpool in his costume with a sequenced Elvis jacket over it, while Cage adopts his best Elvis impression talking to the audience.

Reynolds seems to be a genuine fan of the character and comics in general and with his rep on the up with every role perhaps he could use it to try and get a film which is true to the character.

There were moments [very blink and you'll miss it mind you] in Wolverine were I thought Reynolds could do Deadpool. I think given the right script and direction he could do a great take on the character but chances are it will be a hack script and some two bit director. They'll aim for the pg-13 rating to get more butts in seats and that will kill it. I understand the economics behind the move but it would be nice to let the writers do a script without any restrictions. They'll also prob drag in random X-characters aiming to give them their own movies off the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

It's also guaranteed that he is going to spend the majority of the movie running around with no mask on and just Ryan Reynolds normal face....which automatically changes the character.

I have said it before but anyone setting to make the Deadpool movie needs to sit down and watch Hulk Vs....that nailed the character and if anyone from the comic world is to be consulted it should be Fabian Niceza or Kyle and Yost (they seem more and more like one person these days):D.

ztoical wrote: »
    There were moments [very blink and you'll miss it mind you] in Wolverine were I thought Reynolds could do Deadpool. I think given the right script and direction he could do a great take on the character but chances are it will be a hack script and some two bit director. They'll aim for the pg-13 rating to get more butts in seats and that will kill it. I understand the economics behind the move but it would be nice to let the writers do a script without any restrictions. They'll also prob drag in random X-characters aiming to give them their own movies off the back of it.

I still have yet to grasp how the economics behind some studios work though. Remember the hugh mess over The Punisher 2 with Henslaigh and Jane walking as the studio didn't want a film as dark and violent as they intended, even at one stage talking about making it PG13. They lose their star and a great director only to go back a year later with the director of Green Street and make an R rated film with far more violence than the original.

For Deadpool you know that an R rating is the way forward but lets be honest here. Marvel are going to realize that once they have Reynolds the film can possibly appeal to the noncomic reading female audience. Throw in a romantic subplot for the girls, add some big effects scenes for the boys and piss all over both male and female comic book fans dreams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

I still have yet to grasp how the economics behind some studios work though. Remember the hugh mess over The Punisher 2 with Henslaigh and Jane walking as the studio didn't want a film as dark and violent as they intended, even at one stage talking about making it PG13. They lose their star and a great director only to go back a year later with the director of Green Street and make an R rated film with far more violence than the original.

For Deadpool you know that an R rating is the way forward but lets be honest here. Marvel are going to realize that once they have Reynolds the film can possibly appeal to the noncomic reading female audience. Throw in a romantic subplot for the girls, add some big effects scenes for the boys and piss all over both male and female comic book fans dreams.

good 1 mate

Advertisement