Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

long range 3g wireless router?

• 10-05-2009 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I am in a 3g no coverage pocket due to trees and a building .My parents house 300 mtrs away can get full speed O2 3g coverage as they can see the mast.
    Is thier any way I can put a long range wireless router in thier house which will give me coverage( or is there such a thing as a re-router)?I can see thier house although it is lower than mine and a few trees are in the way? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Happy news for you : it's well do-able and easy enough .

You can get a router that takes a 3g card ( i'll post links for all this in a while )

It has ordinary wifi to hose it around the house and an ethernet socket or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

This sort of thing :

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=899

Vodafone (used ) to do one , don't know about 02

Instead of the type of modem above you can use little boards/old laptop etc to hold the 3g card and relay it on using loonixology.

You MIGHT pick up the wifi signal from it anyway ( lock it down or you might have half the countryside using it )

If not , you have a few options :

With the 3g card/router combo in your parents house :

Bury outdoor ethernet ( might need repeater , no big deal )

Run your own "telephone type " cable and use a VDSL pair to get data across

Run ethernet to a spot just beyond the trees and use a cheap outdoor link

Advantages : You'd have a data link between the two houses , handy for outdoor camera , swapping files, photos etc.

Just need one 3g link for both houses really .

Disadvantages : Running the cable might not be easy , is nice though if it works out speedwise for sharing files though.

Putting the 3g card/router combo near your parents house to take advantage of strong 3g signal

Put the 3g modem setup in a weatherproof box near your parents house where it will get full 3g signal and you will be able to hook to its wifi signal

You can get 3g cards that have a semi-hidden connector for an antenna . Would allow you to put the whole lot at your house .

Advantages : You still could have a data link between the two houses , both could share the same 3g card if needed.

Disadvantages : Might not be easy to find a tidy spot on "your " side of trees that can still see the 3g tower

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭killer007

thanks for that it gives me some hope anyway cause by the time we get dialup broadband ,George Lee will be running the country.:)

Advertisement