Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shopping

• 10-05-2009 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

hi heading to Waterford to do a bit of shopping i know that there is a city square shopping center but is there any others in and around Waterford

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

to be honest,your better off going to dublin or cork if your going clothes shopping,more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

Agree with the above poster, better off to skip Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

:(
    anplaya wrote: »
    to be honest,your better off going to dublin or cork if your going clothes shopping,more choice.
    sfmonet wrote: »
    Agree with the above poster, better off to skip Waterford.
    Hi There!!!
    Thank you for writing off our city :rolleyes:

Hi OP
    Anything in particular youre shopping for?

EDIT: I didnt put that sad face there :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What a pair of wanker trolls, go to Dublin or Cork. ****ing cheek!
    Yeah OP if you let us know what youre looking for, some of the shopping areas are more suited for individual tastes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭happyfeet22

i want to do some clothes shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Asmodean banned for a week.

By all means, feel free to disagree with anyone who tells the OP to go somewhere else to shop but abuse is not tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 deise girlie

If you willing to go as far as Tramore there is a nice shop called Red Lane. Stocks nice occasion wear as well as Firetrap, great Plains and some other really nice stuff (haven't been in for a while due to financial situation so can't remember other brands :() as well as Exit kids clothes (roches used to stock it). Not very big but I always hit there first if I am shopping.

Asmodean wrote: »
    Yeah OP if you let us know what youre looking for, some of the shopping areas are more suited for individual tastes.

ye so says the man who doesnt even live here anymore.i just gave my honest opinion,plenty more choice in dublin or cork.for every 1 shop here theres 5 or more in cork or dublin its that obvious.enjoy your ban.

:(

Hi There!!!
    Thank you for writing off our city :rolleyes:

Hi OP
    Anything in particular youre shopping for?

EDIT: I didnt put that sad face there :confused:

hi there,:rolleyes:,not writing off our city:rolleyes:,just better choice outside,lol ,simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

ye so says the man who doesnt even live here anymore.i just gave my honest opinion,plenty more choice in dublin or cork.for every 1 shop here theres 5 or more in cork or dublin its that obvious.enjoy your ban.

sure why not got to London or New York then, for every one in Dublin or Cork there's 5 or more there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

there is as much choice in Waterford as anywhere ---

its a bit more spread out with the outer ring road -
    but most people enjoy shopping in Waterford -

exsp people from wex, kilkenny, & tipp

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Waterford is only "Okay" for shopping. We all know it, but are afraid to admit it. Its probably the only decent place in the South East though. Id prefer Cork or Dublin myself.

Lets not forget - we do have some decent stores here and I think with the new shopping center it will improve.

foxylad; I know your on the Chamber of Commerce but seriously, Cork and Dublin have MUCH more choice. Lets not get into a fairyland imagination. We all want Waterford to do well, but by making us appear to be great will drive people away. Being honest and saying "Its not the best, but we do have a good selection so its worth checking out - it will improve over time" is the right way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

hi there,:rolleyes:,not writing off our city:rolleyes:,just better choice outside,lol ,simple as that.

The OP asked about places to shop inside Waterford so your reply is not helpful in the least. Your last 2 replies weren't helpful in any way either. Quit trolling.

This thread is not to debate whether someone would benefit more from shopping outside of Waterford. The OP asked for places to shop in Waterford. Please keep it on topic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

hi heading to Waterford to do a bit of shopping i know that there is a city square shopping center but is there any others in and around Waterford

City Square could be a lot better, but it does offer a few decent shops. Debenhams, Dunnes, River Island, Golden Discs etc. Then outside of that you have Jack & Jones, Book Center, BBs, Subway, Shaws, etc. I cant think of all the stores names, but there are a good few other decent stores in the City Center. Plenty for the women! Redlane in Tramore, bit out of the way maybe.

TKMaxx and Pennys are outside of the city center (Pennys isnt that far away). Harvey Norman, Halfords, and other big retail units are in the retail park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

by making us appear to be great will drive people away. Being honest and saying "Its not the best, but we do have a good selection so its worth checking out - it will improve over time" is the right way to go.

558685_lg.jpg

???????????

Surely you don't actually mean a word of what you posted there??

AdMMM wrote: »
    <snip>
    ???????????

Surely you don't actually mean a word of what you posted there??

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Sully wrote: »
    Waterford is only "Okay" for shopping. We all know it, but are afraid to admit it. Its probably the only decent place in the South East though. Id prefer Cork or Dublin myself.

Okay is a bit optimistic imo. Outside of TK Maxx I honestly don't think theres anywhere really to go in Waterford that has a great selection. Only ever really found random bits in the city centre
    Asmodean wrote: »

Being honest he's right this is especially true for mens clothes there's very little selection imo. Can't remember the last time I went shopping for clothes in the city centre :confused::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

What are you on about?

Your post came across as a level.

Maybe if we wanted even more people to gloss over Waterford as a place to shop AND gift places like Dublin and Cork with tourism and extra business AND further tarnish the reputation of our own City then we should indeed publicise ourselves as a bad place to shop with the exception of a few shops dotted in various places around the place.

But we don't want to do that.

ec18 wrote: »
    Okay is a bit optimistic imo. Outside of TK Maxx I honestly don't think theres anywhere really to go in Waterford that has a great selection. Only ever really found random bits in the city centre

Its not any worse then "Okay" though. Its probably better for women, clothes wise.

AdMMM wrote: »
    Your post came across as a level.

Maybe if we wanted even more people to gloss over Waterford as a place to shop AND gift places like Dublin and Cork with tourism and extra business AND further tarnish the reputation of our own City then we should indeed publicise ourselves as a bad place to shop with the exception of a few shops dotted in various places around the place.

But we don't want to do that.

See the problem is, if we go on about how great Waterford is and say "Come down, lets of places to shop in" and they arrive and find it a damp squid they will let people know how poor Waterford is. Word of mouth etc. There is no point liying to the public as we will get bad reviews.

Waterford does not have a great selection of stores in comparsement to other locations. It will improve with the new shopping center, hopefully. No point liying about it. We need to make sure work continues on that and try offer retailers some space in our city at decent rates.

• Advertisement

takola wrote: »
    The OP asked about places to shop inside Waterford so your reply is not helpful in the least. Your last 2 replies weren't helpful in any way either. Quit trolling.

This thread is not to debate whether someone would benefit more from shopping outside of Waterford. The OP asked for places to shop in Waterford. Please keep it on topic.

im not trolling,just said theres better choice elsewhere ,hows that trolling.im all for waterford but theres a lot of things waterford doesnt have and it shows.i gave my opinion and people are like ooh anti waterford etc.far from it.i just said to be honest more bang for your buck elsewhere.and yeah im from here,born and bred ,waterford was always bad for shopping

Bards wrote: »
    sure why not got to London or New York then, for every one in Dublin or Cork there's 5 or more there!!!

hmm.ye.right.cant believe people get riled up when ya all know its true,waterford is not great for shopping.and thats what i told the op and everyones getting annoyed with me about it.get off your high horses eh,were all entitled to our opinion,only person who seems to know the same thing is sully.he just listed a few places which anyone can see is admittedly not many.ya know why?cause their isnt many decent clothes shops here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

im only new to waterford but have to say its feckin crap for shops and malls etc. no big record store , nothing.
    limerick is a good place to go also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

hmm.ye.right.cant believe people get riled up when ya all know its true,waterford is not great for shopping.and thats what i told the op and everyones getting annoyed with me about it.get off your high horses eh,were all entitled to our opinion,only person who seems to know the same thing is sully.he just listed a few places which anyone can see is admittedly not many.ya know why?cause their isnt many decent clothes shops here.

The OP asked where to go in Waterford, they did not ask abouit Cork or Dublin.

This is typical Irish attitude, just like someone asking for directions, they are often met with "I wouldn;t start form here if I were you....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Hedone

i agree with people who say that waterford is not a very good place for shopping. shops are all spread around in town & it takes ages to get from one to another but if you have time & patience guess it's alright. my wotkmates & friends agree that you can get a better shopping experience in dublin, cork etc. the square is boring, no choice at all

Bards wrote: »
    The OP asked where to go in Waterford, they did not ask abouit Cork or Dublin.

This is typical Irish attitude, just like someone asking for directions, they are often met with "I wouldn;t start form here if I were you....."

ye and i,living in waterford said to them not to waste their time,better shopping in cork or dublin.whether they listen to me or not,doesnt make any difference.

love the way people bring up typical irish attitude ,lol,what is the typical irish attitude?i just told the op as someone living in waterford better off shopping elsewhere.trying to help them out.people always seem to use that 'typical irish attitude'", "typical waterford ättitude' etc .what do ya care anyway,if ya think the shopping is good fair enough,just think personally its better in dub or cork,get over it.

Can we get back on topic please and just answer the OPs question? I think the whole "anti-waterford" for shopping has been done, so lets just tell the OP what Waterford has to offer.

Thanks.

Can we get back on topic please and just answer the OPs question? I think the whole "anti-waterford" for shopping has been done, so lets just tell the OP what Waterford has to offer.

Thanks.

ye no prob ,only thing is i think ya basically covered all of the shops in one of your earlier posts so i dont think people can really add any more.that says it all really.

that says it all really.

That's the clearest indication to me your trolling. You have been asked once already by another moderator to stop, so please do. I see your point, no need to keep re-iterating it. If you have no further suggestions, fair enough, leave it. Any issues with this, including a "No problem" reply, PM me. Anything else will be considered off topic.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Was in Shaws yesterday and they have a voucher promotion on. If you spend over €30 you get €10 off. They have the vouchers at all the till. OP might be worth checking out as they have a good selection of clothes upstairs. Every litttle helps during these times aye?

Advertisement