Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pursuing another course after this one?

Options
  • 09-05-2009 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently out in DIT doing Business Management and am coming to the end of my penultimate year. Not really sure if this course is for me though if I'm honest. I'll probably see it out, but I was just curious as to what my options would be after I graduate?

Could I go on and do another completely different degree in a different college? (random example, engineering in UCD or something?)

If so, how do I go about doing this? When I finish up in DIT I will have just turned 21 so I wouldnt be considered a mature student (>23) yet. Do I apply through the CAO with leaving cert results? How does it work?

And also do I get hit for the full fees of a couple of thousand? or would I still be paying the bog standard 1500 fees?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moved from Graduate forum to Postgraduate forum.

Check out: http://www.studentfinance.ie/

Fees: AFAIK, If you received a standard Co co/VEC grant while going to college, if you want to pursue another undergraduate degree, you will not be eligible for funding again. Funding for courses will not be available until you are a mature student, unless you're going to go for a Masters/Conversion Higher Diploma. However, please check out the above website because this is just AFAIK and individual circumstances change a lot of things.

Applying: it depends on the college and the course. As you are not mature you could be looking at CAO, however, if you were looking for exemptions on to a 2nd or 3rd year of a degree on the basis of what you've completed I think then you apply directly to the college.

My personal recommendation would be to consider a Masters or Conversion style higher Diploma onto a course such as a hDip in Psychology or in Arts or something random as you mentioned. Once you've completed your degree that is.

Additionally, go to the careers office in your school and see what they can advise you.

G'luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Jesjes wrote: »
    Moved from Graduate forum to Postgraduate forum.

Check out: http://www.studentfinance.ie/

Fees: AFAIK, If you received a standard Co co/VEC grant while going to college, if you want to pursue another undergraduate degree, you will not be eligible for funding again. Funding for courses will not be available until you are a mature student, unless you're going to go for a Masters/Conversion Higher Diploma. However, please check out the above website because this is just AFAIK and individual circumstances change a lot of things.

Applying: it depends on the college and the course. As you are not mature you could be looking at CAO, however, if you were looking for exemptions on to a 2nd or 3rd year of a degree on the basis of what you've completed I think then you apply directly to the college.

My personal recommendation would be to consider a Masters or Conversion style higher Diploma onto a course such as a hDip in Psychology or in Arts or something random as you mentioned. Once you've completed your degree that is.

Additionally, go to the careers office in your school and see what they can advise you.

G'luck.

So let me get this straight, once you're 23, you can do another degree as a mature student even if you have a degree? That's pretty decent!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I did a Business Degree and i feel the same way ,I used the CAO form and applied for new degree courses and im under 23 also. Not sure if i would do a new course all over again but I thought i mite aswell keep my options open, first year partying would be tempting again! By the way there is no limit to the amount of degrees you want to do!!! , but remember you only get the grant for the first degree lol

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭maninblack

Pangea wrote: »
    I did a Business Degree and i feel the same way ,I used the CAO form and applied for new degree courses and im under 23 also. Not sure if i would do a new course all over again but I thought i mite aswell keep my options open, first year partying would be tempting again! By the way there is no limit to the amount of degrees you want to do!!! , but remember you only get the grant for the first degree lol

and how do ye apply to the cao? do I use my leaving cert results?

And yeah 1st year partying again would be quality :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

maninblack wrote: »
    and how do ye apply to the cao? do I use my leaving cert results?

And yeah 1st year partying again would be quality :D:D:D
    Yeah just go on www.cao.ie and do the same as u do before,enter ur LC results and u have to send a copy of ur degree aswell if u have it finished.
    Also send 50 euro to Pangea aswell while ur at it. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement