Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

timing chain

• 10-05-2009 10:45am

just bought an e30 a few weeks ago and had a look through the service history.. there's a receipt in there for a timing chain in 2007.

how many miles would these be expected to last? the car has done 120k miles since 1990..

i just want to keep on top of it before anything goes wrong

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

On the E28 M5 they recommend renewing the timing chain every 100k miles, yours should be good for the same. I'd assume yours was done in or around that mileage, maybe think about it again at 200k miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

I'm open to correction, but i didn't think any model of the E30 came with a timing chain. Do you mean timing belt?

If it is a timing belt, it should be good for 50K or 4 years, but best check the manual for your car. Also it wouldn't do any harm to inspect it to make sure all is in order.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The E30 316/316i/318/318i/318is/320is/M3 had chains. The others (320i/323i/325i) were M20 engined and had belts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Technically a chain is good for life in a car but your generally good for 100,000 or so.

it's a 318is so definately a chain..

good to hear :D nothin to worry about for a long while so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

nothin to worry about for a long while so

Not just that, but you can hear when a chain is on the way out, giving you plenty of time to have it replaced. I wish all cars just had chains :(

on the face of it, they seem more logical..

what's the advantage of belts?

they are cheap from a manufacturing perspective!

fek that..

well i'm glad now that i've a chain since it's a 19yr old car.. the less things to worry about, the better

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

unkel wrote: »
    Not just that, but you can hear when a chain is on the way out, giving you plenty of time to have it replaced. I wish all cars just had chains :(

How can you tell. Both our cars are chains and I was basically going with the view that it was maintenace free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

kbannon wrote: »
    The E30 316/316i/318/318i/318is/320is/M3 had chains. The others (320i/323i/325i) were M20 engined and had belts.

Not sure this is correct. I think the 316 Had an M10 or an M40 Engine and from what I recall offhand the M40 has a belt.

E30i wrote: »
    Not sure this is correct. I think the 316 Had an M10 or an M40 Engine and from what I recall offhand the M40 has a belt.
    Yeah - you are indeed correct. The M40 engined 316i and 318i had a belt. The earlier M10 versions of these had a chain. The 318is (M42 engine) also has a chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

MaxFlower wrote: »
    How can you tell. Both our cars are chains and I was basically going with the view that it was maintenace free.

They can stretch over time and will get pretty rattly. Certain engines had problems with chains not lasting as long as expected, I forget which engines in particular except for the old Skoda 1.3 OHV motors. I'm sure there's others...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Certain engines had problems with chains not lasting as long as expected, I forget which engines in particular except for the old Skoda 1.3 OHV motors. I'm sure there's others...

I've heard a lot of issues with chains in recent enough Nissan Almeras not even lasting 50k miles. I don't think they affected other Nissans like the Micra and the Primera though, although I could very well be wrong there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I've heard a lot of issues with chains in recent enough Nissan Almeras not even lasting 50k miles. I don't think they affected other Nissans like the Micra and the Primera though, although I could very well be wrong there...

There was a problem with the latest mark almeras up to 05 if I recall correctly. I know someone who's 02 almeras chain stretched.

My Primera P10 has 196,000 miles on it and the chain hasn't been touched. I reckon it would cost more than the cars worth if I needed to change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Ballpark, how much could one expect for a chain change? Is it as expensive as a belt change? Figure I should be getting it done soonish with 110k on the clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

They can stretch over time and will get pretty rattly. Certain engines had problems with chains not lasting as long as expected, I forget which engines in particular except for the old Skoda 1.3 OHV motors. I'm sure there's others...

Diesel Vectra with 260K and no rattle as of yet. Needs a clutch though so I don't think the chain is going to see any more use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

There was a problem with the latest mark almeras up to 05 if I recall correctly. I know someone who's 02 almeras chain stretched.

My Primera P10 has 196,000 miles on it and the chain hasn't been touched. I reckon it would cost more than the cars worth if I needed to change it

From what I heard, the problem with the chain in Almeras were mainly confined to low mileage engines. This suggests a problem with the oil change intervals for time basis and not mileage basis.

On that note, both my parents & I have Nissans which are serviced every 6 or 9K miles or six months and have 160k miles, 100k miles, 89k miles & 100k Km. Despite been driven like they have been stolen all the time, they have never given any trouble at all, except for my 05 Almera blowing heater motor controllers & resistors and the '00 Primera wearing front tyres (under 20K miles for front tyres)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

on the face of it, they seem more logical..

what's the advantage of belts?

Its was mainly to suit the ever quieter engines that they brought out belts and they can also drive water pumps etc with the timing belt. They are probably slightly more accurate or precise
    as well than a chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I found out that on toyota engines that on interference types ones there fitted with timing chains and on non interference engines they use belts.

• Advertisement

landyman wrote: »
    I found out that on toyota engines that on interference types ones there fitted with timing chains and on non interference engines they use belts.[/quote

non interference engines are not as good or as efficient. Or as simple in design, or else all engines would be non interference, or maybe im wrong completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

AFAIK the last model Corsa had a chain, and they went fairly early. I've seen loads over the last two years, and the whole car would shake like mad and the engine was awful noisey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Schumacher1

Hi guys.

I drive an 02 320d Auto, just done over 140,000 miles now, I change the coolant every 70k, oil and filters every 15k.

The engine is running really smooth with no noises. Just gone thru NCT with no issues.

Should I be considering a new chain yet?

I get it serviced locally by a mate. Is there anything else that needs to be done to these cars when they hit this mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There was a recall campaign covering affected models. A lot of people ignored or didn't get the letter (the wife was the former) to their peril. Fortunately Nissan still paid for work after the damage was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Hi guys.

I drive an 02 320d Auto, just done over 140,000 miles now, I change the coolant every 70k, oil and filters every 15k.

The engine is running really smooth with no noises. Just gone thru NCT with no issues.

Should I be considering a new chain yet?

I get it serviced locally by a mate. Is there anything else that needs to be done to these cars when they hit this mileage.

I've a '01 320d with over 150k miles...still on it's original chain. Afaik, it doesn't need changing unless it becomes noisy. I tend to change the oil and filter every 5k with the air filter,fuel filter and pollen filter every 10k. I clean out the EGR every 10k too.
    Is your car running on it's original suspension? I've just had the wishbones,bushings,springs and shocks replaced on my car.

Nforce wrote: »
    I've a '01 320d with over 150k miles...still on it's original chain. Afaik, it doesn't need changing unless it becomes noisy. I tend to change the oil and filter every 5k with the air filter,fuel filter and pollen filter every 10k. I clean out the EGR every 10k too.
    Is your car running on it's original suspension? I've just had the wishbones,bushings,springs and shocks replaced on my car.

i change the oil every 50k i think, id say 5k is a bit overkill, no harm though

My car is mainly used for short journey's now. It may be a bit overkill...but oil is cheap and turbo's aren't ;):D

My car is mainly used for short journey's now. It may be a bit overkill...but oil is cheap and turbo's aren't ;):D

true and also i dont care about my cars, which has to be considered also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Schumacher1

Hiya

I think mine is an 01 car reg'd in 02. I got the car 4 years ago.

I had wishbones, bushes, and anti roll stab done last NCT (€390 the lot). NCT arseholes said balljoints were gone but when i ahd alook they were all fooked, replaced front shocks in 07 and rears in 06 (or other way around).

Dont think I ever did any ERG cleaning, got a link to it.

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    true and also i dont care about my cars, which has to be considered also

Obviously not if your neglecting your oil changes to every 50k :eek:

You might consider caring about your car when your left stranded at the side of the road and add a huge repair bill to boot.

Dont think I ever did any ERG cleaning, got a link to it.

here ya go... link

Edit: diy is for a different model, but it's essentially the same procedure

Obviously not if your neglecting your oil changes to every 50k :eek:

You might consider caring about your car when your left stranded at the side of the road and add a huge repair bill to boot.

well i have been before, timing belt slipped funny enough, but i survived, no one died because of it, and oil change every 50k was a little exageration, plenty of people spend fortunes caring for their cars and still end up stranded at side of road,

I take your point though

well i have been before, timing belt slipped funny enough, but i survived, no one died because of it, and oil change every 50k was a little exageration, plenty of people spend fortunes caring for their cars and still end up stranded at side of road,

I take your point though

Maybe so but thats motoring for you! Can't hurt to keep the essentials intact whatever else you decide to neglect ;)

Also try adding sarcasm smilies to your exagerations LOL :p
    i change the oil every 50k i think, id say 5k is a bit overkill, no harm though

Maybe so but thats motoring for you! Can't hurt to keep the essentials intact whatever else you decide to neglect ;)

Also try adding sarcasm smilies to your exagerations LOL :p

well its probalby a fair few miles since i changed oil, i cant remember, but does anyone no what will happen if we never change it, sludge, viscosity,?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

increased wear, increase emissions, failure

• Advertisement

Driving causes all those things

I don't see what the big deal is?? Its the cheapest preventitive measure you can do on your car.

I do my oil in an hour and it costs me €30 all in!

mynrma wrote:

So what exactly does the oil do?

Oil lubricates your car's engine and helps protect the moving parts, especially when you first start-up the engine. As you drive, water vapour, un-burnt petrol and gases from the engine's combustion process all end up contaminating your oil. If you don't change your oil at the recommended intervals, it can thicken, and lose its protective ability, as it can't reach and protect the moving parts. When this happens your oil has lost its protective qualities and it's time for an oil change.

What does the oil filter do?

The oil filter strains dirt and other particles out of the oil as it circulates. When changing oil, it's best to replace the filter as well, as you don't want a dirty filter contaminating new oil.

How often should I change my oil?

NRMA advocates oil changes should be carried out in accordance with the service schedule set by the vehicle manufacturer. Often this recommends an oil change every 10,000km or 6 months.

However, motorist's should take care. Most manufacturers say that the frequency of an oil change is largely dependant on your driving habits. When you travel over 20km the oil in your engine has time to fully heat up, allowing it to flow freely and vaporise the water and unburned fuel that build up in the oil. However if you rarely travel more than 20km after each cold start, your oil can become saturated with contaminants, failing to lubricate the engine properly and, over time, lose its protective abilities. This applies no matter what quality of oil you are using. If this sounds like you, most manufacturers recommend an oil change every 5,000km or every three months.

It's also worth remembering that simply topping up an engine that's low on oil is not the same as giving it an oil change. Contaminants left behind increase in concentration each time the oil levels drops which accelerates engine wear. In addition to this, the mixing of oil brands and viscosities can harm you engine, and is not recommended.

a there`s no big deal at all, just passing the time on this lovely day,

a there`s no big deal at all, just passing the time on this lovely day,

No problem its a forum after all ;)

Seriously speaking grab yourself a haynes manual and get under the car if your anyways half decent at DIY its a piece of cake. An oil change is very easy.

Volvoboy done a write up on it the link is in his signature

No problem its a forum after all ;)

Seriously speaking grab yourself a haynes manual and get under the car if your anyways half decent at DIY its a piece of cake. An oil change is very easy.

Volvoboy done a write up on it the link is in his signature

A sure its simple enough for any diy fella, or girl.

Its gettin around to it is the problem, only after fixing a brake problem so not in mood of goin near it for a week or 2 at least

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Indeed it does, but wether you have spent a lot or a little on a car, a sure way of prolonging it's life and value is, oil and air filter and oil, maybe even do the brakes yourself and change the other fluids too. Even if you only do the oil,its filter & air filter you will save yourself a fortune and limit potential expensive repair bills.

Advertisement