Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XENICAL

• 10-05-2009 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering if any of you have ever been on Xenical. My doc put me on them the otherday. Just looking to see what other people thought about them?

Thanks,
    Lenni

From the charter rules
    Bear in mind we are not professional nutritionists and we are not doctors, so don't look for medical advice. Please seek advice from your Dr. or a Nutritionist before embarking on any major overhaul of your eating habits.
    Afraid I am going to have to lock this thread. Please consult your GP if thinking of undertaking any drugs- rubadub

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you google Alli, just double the results. My sister was on them for a couple of years. She didn't much enjoy them, and still shudders when she remembers the time she ate a Chinese takeaway after taking one.

Basically, they work by stopping your body absorbing all the fat in a meal. The excess is excrete in your poo. It may also result in "Anal Slippage". Hence warnings to carry spare underwear and dark trousers.

In trials, people who take Xenical lost an average of 6lb more than the group on the placebo.

The main advantage is that it makes you stick to your diet. The trouble is guaging how much fat to eat. Too little and the tablet will have no effect and be wasted. Too much and you need a sudden toilet break and a strong air-freshener.

There is also a real danger that because you have to eat low fat and then some of that is not absorbed, you are missing out on fat soluble vitamins, like A, D, E and K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I was on it, went off after a few days due to the side effects. Wouldn't reccomend it to my worst enemy tbh, but everyone's different I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭~Trixiebelle~

taram wrote: »
    I was on it, went off after a few days due to the side effects. Wouldn't reccomend it to my worst enemy tbh, but everyone's different I guess.

+1

Lol!! Im still cringing!!!

I tried those tablets about 2 years ago and ate really well but while i was at work my collegue pointed out that i must have sat on something.... to my horror i found an orange stain on the back of my trousers!!! i was mortified!! all i could mubble out and say was "damn those kids!! they cant seem to eat a cool-pop without leaving something for me to either sit on or put it in my shoes"! hmmm, i dont know if she believed me or not but even if she did, what kind of mother gives her kids icepops for breakfast!!

never ever ever again!!!

Try them when you dont have to go anywhere..... just in case!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lenni

hey,

Well im already on them, but only since last Thursday. They are horrible, feel like sh1t since been on them. Any of you who have tried them, did you find that you lost weight, not only r they rotten to b on but they are soooo expensive, but if i do loose from them ill stick to it.
    Im just gonna pop upstairs and iron some black trousers, he he not gonna take any chances...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

They dont absorb all the fat so dont eat too much fatty foods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Lenni

Im finding it difficult to no what to eat, when looking it up its says you do need to eat a certain amount of fat for it to work but not too much. I just dont no if i should be on a strict diet with them, if i am will i get the full effect u no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The official advice is to eat no more than 15g of fat per meal. There is a book available for people on Alli, which is half the strength of xenical, but it recommends a very high carb diet, heavy on the rice, pasta, spuds and bread. Personally, I don't believe that anyone is who is very overweight can afford to eat that many carbs. Insulin problems is one of the classic ways of piling on the pounds in the first place.

I would base a xenical diet on lean protiens and lots of green veg, with a smaller amount of root veg and fruit, no sugar or white carbs. And obviously, no processed foods, junk food or takeaways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Hi.
    XENICAL

Have taken these, and all the advice and stories here replicate mine, even to the ice pop story. Now one added thing is, I did watch what I ate but did get dehydrated at one stage which kinda lead to constipation, after a couple of days I literally exploded in the loo, Ended up having to bleach the walls and repaint the room!!!!!!!!!!!!! I kid you not. Now gonna try it again, but adding to a lower fat diet am gonna add an xtra lit of water, =3.5l/daily, and if things start to slow down in the toilet department am gonna stop taking caps. Now, I wasn't taking them at every meal, it would vary between once or twice a day as a friend had told me horror stories also, I think its like anything else, you got to try it yourself and see how you can control it . The other thing as was already mentioned I think, if I knew I was heading away to friends/family to stay overnight I would stop taking the caps.

Would love to hear how you got on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This is terrible. Don't do this to yourselves people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Agreed, nothing can be worth this guys.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement