Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to improve energy levels in pregnancy

Options
  • 10-05-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

hi everyone,
    I'm a 32 yr old lady, who just found out she's pregnant. 1st pregnancy, abt 9 wks gone. Problems are 1) extreme nausea - always nauseous except for when i am asleep, fortunately of unfortunately i've vomited only once but felt so relieved after. so difficult to find something to eat that doesnt make me want to throw up, infact havnt found anything 2) always, always tired, can barely get out of bed, right now trying to summon up enough energy to sit through mass today and failing misreably 3) always bloated / seemingly constipated not relieved by going to the little girls room.
    Please Help!! does anyone have any advice for me on the nausea, bloating and improving my energy levels cos i really dont want to go on like this much longer :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

shesalady wrote: »
    hi everyone,
    I'm a 32 yr old lady, who just found out she's pregnant. 1st pregnancy, abt 9 wks gone. Problems are 1) extreme nausea - always nauseous except for when i am asleep, fortunately of unfortunately i've vomited only once but felt so relieved after. so difficult to find something to eat that doesnt make me want to throw up, infact havnt found anything 2) always, always tired, can barely get out of bed, right now trying to summon up enough energy to sit through mass today and failing misreably 3) always bloated / seemingly constipated not relieved by going to the little girls room.
    Please Help!! does anyone have any advice for me on the nausea, bloating and improving my energy levels cos i really dont want to go on like this much longer :confused::confused::confused:

Hey shesalady... congrats first of all :)

On the nausea have you tried ginger biscuits? I was lucky in that I didn't suffer with sickness but I have heard that they're really good for it.

The energy thing is a pain. I was shattered from about 8 weeks to 12/13 weeks. I can't give you any advice really only maybe trying taking some pregnancy vitimans? Get your iron checked to make sure that's not causing it. And it does improve after the first three months. At least it did for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I was exhausted the first 12 weeks too but it has eased off a lot. You shouldn't have to put up with it for much longer hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭shesalady

thanks for the advice, will put ur suggestions to the test and hope i get over this exhaustion phase soooooooooooon:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

I would definitely give the ginger biscuits a try they worked a treat for me keep some beside your bed and have a little nibble before you get up :P My sickness wasn't actually vomiting it was the strangest feeling like sea sickness uuggghhh getting shiver's even thinking about it now :(

The exhaustion is something that dosen't seem to have a quick fix unless you need iron tabs the new one's don't cause constipation. The nure's insisted in the hospital that i take iron as i was very pale i tried to explain that it was my natural colouring and when i had my blood's taken turns out i didn't need the tabs!
    I was constipated one day and had diarrhoea the next! It will pass i felt great between 4-5months i got my energy levels back and felt more like myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Best thing for sickness is to eat little and often, thats why its usually worst in the mornings having gone all night without food. Try to eat every two hours or so, so have a snack of some crackers maybe and don't eat big meals at mealtimes. That will go some way to helping, but there really isn't any way to get rid of it.........its part of being pregnant.

Same with the tiredness, you should be flying around by about 14 weeks, thats just how it is. Your body is doing a huge amount of work at the moment and diverting a lot of resources to your baby. Take it easy and rest when you need to.

Congrats :D

• Advertisement

A question on the energy. At what stage did people go back to feeling really tired? I'm 6 months this week and yesterday I felt the type of exhaustion I had for the first three months. Went to bed early and had a good enough night sleep and I'm still shattered this morning. Am I done with the energy buzz and back to a complete lack of energy again?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭fiona stephanie

hi! the morning sickness is killing me at the mo girls, im 6 weeks and its gotten considerably worse with every week that goes by! the ginger biscuits dont seem to be working but i do carry a snack pack of TUC with me wherever i go, they seem to help me a little bit! :)

the tiredness doesnt seem to be that bad this time around, maybe its because i have my other 2 to look after, they dont give me a chance to feel tired! i do however fall asleep at nite nearly the min my head hits the pillow!!:p

the only time in the third trimester that i felt really wacked was when i was too big and awkward to sleep at nite the i was exhausted the next day! but that didnt happen till probably end of the 7th, 8ish month! maybe you were just having a bad day gowayouttadat:D good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

I feel exactly the same goawayouttadat... just six months this week and, as if perfectly timed I'm shattered again... suffered really badly with tiredness in first tri, eveyone in work must have thought I was on something i was so out of it!! But then felt great, and like I said, this week I'm zapped!! Eating well and taking supps so maybe its just a blip... but I know its gonna get worse as we get bigger like fiona said so I just hope this doesn't continue unitl the end and I get another couple of 'normal' weeks before then :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

The tiredness should lift after week 12. As others have said eating little and often was the best thing at keeping the sickness somewhat at bay. As far as feeling bloated, try to drink plenty of water, this can also help greatly with the tiredness. But most of all, put your feet whenever possible.

As far as the tiredness returning, I'm 32 weeks now and today is the first day that I have felt absolutely shattered. Couldn't sleep last night as my hips kept getting sore so I had to keep moving and baby had what felt like its bum sticking out as far as it could into my belly. And I had the madest dreams in between waking and dozing off. I was at a Pink Flyod concert in Barcelona, watching them from a boxing ring. Bizarre!!! Anyways, I think this is the start of that time when you really get fed up. Up to this point I have been feeling great. Roll on July.

Thank God it's not just me Chuchu. I thought I was losing it yesterday. I looked like death warmed up by about 8pm. My eyes were hanging out of my head. Like you I suffered with tiredness in the 1st trimester but it's been fine for the last two months or so. I really hope it goes away for a while! I'm 6 months this week too and it's like right on queue it's back with a bang.

Beth-lou, i'm not looking forward to the final countdown. The waiting and uncomfortable feeling must be awful! Hope it goes alright for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement