Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Galway

Options
  • 10-05-2009 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Quick one - Doughiska area. Got UPC 10Mb line about 6 weeks ago. Was very very solid 9.7 for the first 4-5 weeks but in the last week or so is struggling to hit 5.

You'd nearly be supicious they give u it fast first and wittle the speed back!

Anyway anyone else the east side of the city seen their speed go off the last week or so

Ran a couple of iso's from heanet to confirm what the speedtests were reporting and its struggling to reach over 600kbs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Update...

Installed dd-wrt micro on my wrt-54g router (v5, can only take micro) last week and its ruined the wireless speed.

Ran a cable to the laptop and its full speed 10 meg. Used to get close to 10 off wireless when the router was running the original firmware.

Like the features of dd-wrt, especially the in built bandwidth monitors but its halved the wifi speed :mad:

Any dd-wrt users got any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

What speed is your laptop connecting at though? That could be the true bottle-neck more than firmware.

Thought about that, but made no changes to the laptop, plus im getting the same results in vista as windows 7... slow down coincides with changing firmware - was fine up to that.

Thought it might be the mixed mode, in case dd-wrt might be dropping back to b mode, so ive switched that off. Will try again once im off the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

No harm to do a few tests very close to router to see.

Do keep it G only if you don't need backwards compatibility with B hardware.

Running DD-WRT but the router is a bridge so haven't really experienced such an issue.

Solyad wrote: »
    Update...

Installed dd-wrt micro on my wrt-54g router (v5, can only take micro) last week and its ruined the wireless speed.

Ran a cable to the laptop and its full speed 10 meg. Used to get close to 10 off wireless when the router was running the original firmware.

Like the features of dd-wrt, especially the in built bandwidth monitors but its halved the wifi speed :mad:

Any dd-wrt users got any tips?

Im running dd-wrt. Get 2.3Mb/s on the 20Mbit package. I had issues too though when i first strated using. Make sure your laptop wireless is set to maximum power output. Is anyone else using te router in mixed mode? If not set to g only(or n only). I had to change wireless channels because multiple neighbours with wi-fi. I changed to channel 10 on both router and laptop and gained about 6-7Mbit over the default channel 6. If no luck after that try changing encryption, it can have significant spped impact especially on a resource starved router. I use wpa(tkip) but it is definitely a little slower than wep. Hope that helps ya

• Advertisement

Thanks guys

Will play around with the channels. Have knocked off b wireless. Fair few wifi networks active in the area - could be various reaons i guess.

Advertisement