Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Box

Options
  • 10-05-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I bought a satellite DREAM BOX DM500-S, it works fine, but all the channels or in alphabetical order. I would like to rearrange them. I need a cable to attach it to my computer. I tryed to get one, but can not find one that fits. I need RS232 on one end (DREAM BOX) and the other end to fit my Laptop. Can anyone tell me where i can buy one, if you have a spare one I will buy it from you. Any other help on DREAM BOX wellcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Hi Tony you can use the ethernet port on the receiver to connect with your laptop and edit channel lists. You can then use programs like DreamSet or Dreamboxedit to arrange your channels into the order you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TonyMiggs

Hi Claytonie Thanks foe your reply, I tryed this, but nothing happened. Should DREAM BOX power be on, should it be linked to TV, and TV on. Can you give me more advice. When i connected to ethernet a light came on in DREAMBOX. I tryed it with power on and off . I am new to this so i need all the help i can get

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

TonyMiggs wrote: »
    I bought a satellite DREAM BOX DM500-S, it works fine, but all the channels or in alphabetical order. I would like to rearrange them. I need a cable to attach it to my computer. I tryed to get one, but can not find one that fits. I need RS232 on one end (DREAM BOX) and the other end to fit my Laptop. Can anyone tell me where i can buy one, if you have a spare one I will buy it from you. Any other help on DREAM BOX wellcome.

You need an RS232-RS232 lead. It connects to your laptop's serial port. Unfortunately most new laptops don't have serial ports, only USB so if yours doesn't you'll need a USB-Serial adapter. You'll find it all easily on ebay for around €10 or €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Hi Tony the Dreambox should be on. Are you connecting the ethernet directly to your laptop or through a router or switch. If its through a router you must enable DHCP on your dreambox so that it can get an IP address from your router. Once it has obtained an IP address you can put this address into your Dreambox IP address setting in Dreamboxedit or Dreamset. Through a router is the easiest way of setting things up and if you are accessing the internet through your laptop i'd assume you would probably have it hooked up to the router.

If you are just using an ethernet crossover cable connected directly to your laptop, you will need to setup a static IP address on your laptop and on the Dreambox.

For example.

Laptop:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Dreambox:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (Put this IP address into Dreamset or Dreamboxedit)
    Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

Advertisement