Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why the change to the Catalunya circuit?

• 10-05-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

A quick question for you all: As I have only back into F1 this year, I don't know why the final corner at the Circuit de Catalunya is now a slow "acceleration zone" and not the 150mph sweeper it used to be.

Why did they put that chicane thing in front of it?

Very annoying!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Safety first perhaps.

Or maybe the Spanish crowds complained that the cars were going too fast to get a good photo op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

A bigger question is why do they insist on going to a track which produces dull uninteresting races year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

F1 bosses have made horrific decisions regarding tracks in the last few years. I'll never forgive them for allowing the refit of hokenheim to go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can't understand why they choose the tracks they do. Like how come the Hungarian Grand Prix seems to be safe always?

As far as I remember the modification was made partly to keep lap times up, and partly to try and close the cars up before the main straight so as to give a possibility of overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

cooker3 wrote: »
    A bigger question is why do they insist on going to a track which produces dull uninteresting races year after year.

money, alonso attracts the crowds there still going to come to see him and dont care if the race is good or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

As far as i remember it was to try and increase the chance of overtaking at the end of the main straight by bunching up the cars before the last corner so they could slipstream down the main straight.
    Obviously it doesn't work!
    It also increased the short lap time for the circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Ah right...makes some sense I suppose but what if a car was to go full throttle through that corner unlike the car in front of them and then overtaking could occur...

Now if they ever touch Eau Rouge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Fabio wrote: »

Now if they ever touch Eau Rouge...

didn't they make some small changes in 2002 ? (no idea what they were though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

didn't they make some small changes in 2002 ? (no idea what they were though)
    They made changes to the back of the circuit, reversed the chicane at the end(bus stop?) and a couple of other minor changes maybe changed the pits nothing major they didn't touch Eau Rouge

Advertisement