Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C section option if unable to have epidural

Options
  • 10-05-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone was in a similar situation. I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to have an epidural or not due to a medical condition. I'm due to discuss it with the consultant and anesathist at my next hospital appointment but that's not for another few weeks.

I was just wondering if I can't have an epidural does anyone know if the consultant will offer the option of having a section instead of a natural birth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm not really sure gowayouttadat... he'll probably try to push the other options of pain relief like gas and air and pethidine...
    I know when I was having my c section I was given the epidural first which didn't take, then a spinal block (which went in exact same way as epidural except they didn't need to use a little tube) and THEN finally general anesthetic was considered after 45 minutes of trying the other two options!!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I'm not really sure gowayouttadat... he'll probably try to push the other options of pain relief like gas and air and pethidine...
    I know when I was having my c section I was given the epidural first which didn't take, then a spinal block (which went in exact same way as epidural except they didn't need to use a little tube) and THEN finally general anesthetic was considered after 45 minutes of trying the other two options!!

Thanks adrieanne, that's exactly what I'm afraid of! Since I'll probably know in advance whether an epidural will work or not I'd really prefer to avoid an emergency section. I'd prefer just to choose to have one beforehand so as to avoid all the unnecessary hassle.
    I suppose we'll see how it goes. I'm so useless at sticking to my guns on these things!! I'm terrified of a natural birth with no epidural though. I'm a big chicken!

If you don't mind me asking how did the general anesthetic section go? How long was it before you woke up and were able to see the baby??

Eh... to be honest it was all a bit of a blur for me... I know I Addison was born at 8.42pm in the evening (and I was brought for the c section at around 7.30... all the faffing about with epidurals and spinal blocks!). I've just been informed by my boyfriend that I woke up about 15/20 minutes after Addison was born and they showed me baby before taking me to recovery which was another 45 minutes before I was brought to the ward, then I got to hold her.

To be honest I was really groggy after wards and couldn't really do much except hold her (feeding her or changing her was not an option I was that spaced)... The midwife looked after baby and woke me up early to change me out of my gown and sponge bath me (oh how fun...).

Thanks for all the info adrieanne! It's good to know when you're trying to make a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Eh... to be honest it was all a bit of a blur for me... I know I Addison was born at 8.42pm in the evening (and I was brought for the c section at around 7.30... all the faffing about with epidurals and spinal blocks!). I've just been informed by my boyfriend that I woke up about 15/20 minutes after Addison was born

Lucky you Adrienne, I was under from 4.45am to 6.40am and I didn't get to see Aidan until 4.30pm! But at 10am I was up and about walking around (although I had to carry my cathetar bag with me the whole time!)

I think it was Grawns that had a elective c-section. I have to say though that I found the gas and air only made me nauseous and dizzy. And I remember I was given an injection into the back as a painkiller and it was useless!!!!!!! I was in agony after it - Not nice:(

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Lucky you Adrienne, I was under from 4.45am to 6.40am and I didn't get to see Aidan until 4.30pm! But at 10am I was up and about walking around (although I had to carry my cathetar bag with me the whole time!)

I think it was Grawns that had a elective c-section. I have to say though that I found the gas and air only made me nauseous and dizzy. And I remember I was given an injection into the back as a painkiller and it was useless!!!!!!! I was in agony after it - Not nice:(

Ah wolf that must have been a disaster!

I think my bf would have heart failure if I was under for that long after the baby was born. He's so nervous about the baby I don't think he'd know what to do :D

Suppose we'll see how it goes.

Ah wolf that must have been a disaster!

I think my bf would have heart failure if I was under for that long after the baby was born. He's so nervous about the baby I don't think he'd know what to do :D

Suppose we'll see how it goes.

My boyfriend was like that!! The midwives are great though apparently... dressed baby and helped him feed baby and all!!

My boyfriend was like that!! The midwives are great though apparently... dressed baby and helped him feed baby and all!!

Aw that's so helpful of them!!

I know my boyfriend inside out and even though he hasn't said anything I know he's ****ting it of having a new baby in his arms. He's never held a baby in his life, knows nothing about them. Obviously he'll pick it all up and it's not a problem but the nerves could be rattling for the first few hours :D

I presume your bf was grand in the end?

I'm biased but seriously best daddy in the world... he works long hours but still finds time to be with her, looks after her so well!! Is a bit over protective (she cries for more than five minutes and he wants to get the car ready for the hospital in case something is wrong with her... ), goes up and kisses her goodnight when he comes in from work... he's hopeless at changing nappies but at least he tries!! He can get smiles out of her whenever, whereas I have to sing and dance before I'd get them!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks adrieanne, that's exactly what I'm afraid of! Since I'll probably know in advance whether an epidural will work or not I'd really prefer to avoid an emergency section. I'd prefer just to choose to have one beforehand so as to avoid all the unnecessary hassle.
    I suppose we'll see how it goes. I'm so useless at sticking to my guns on these things!! I'm terrified of a natural birth with no epidural though. I'm a big chicken!

If you don't mind me asking how did the general anesthetic section go? How long was it before you woke up and were able to see the baby??

The whole natural birth with no epidural isn't that bad.
    It is also normally quicker,yes it is painful but it is bareable and you can be up walking around a few minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 leisurelady

Hi,

I agree with moonbeam on the natural birth....it is not that bad (for some of us lucky ones) and recovery time both in hospital and at home is much quicker.

I had a natural birth myself and no pain relief on my 1st and hopefully will do the same on my 2nd (due in 10days) but will have pain relief if necessary but from my experience v's friends/family who had c-sections, I would prefer natural way simply because of the recovery time.

Each to their own and remember it is your decision and to be honest once the little one arrives all the pain if any will soon disappear.

Good luck,

Leisure lady.

wolfpawnat wrote: »

Another thing, whereas wolfpawnat was up and about a couple of hours after baby was born, I couldn't get out of the bed until the Sunday morning (gave birth on Friday night). The midwives didn't really seem pushed to get me up and about either... it made looking after baby really hard. They kept putting the baby too far away from me and I couldn't reach her when she cried, the also lowered my bed down too low so that I couldn't lift her in and out of her crib. I was close to tears one night because she was crying and I couldn't reach her, had pressed my alarm twice and about ten minutes later no midwife, so the girl in the next bed helped me to get her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I know my boyfriend inside out and even though he hasn't said anything I know he's ****ting it of having a new baby in his arms. He's never held a baby in his life, knows nothing about them. Obviously he'll pick it all up and it's not a problem but the nerves could be rattling for the first few hours :D

I think we can safely say all the lads are fit to have kittens especially when labour comes!:L:L:L
    I'm biased but seriously best daddy in the world... he works long hours but still finds time to be with her, looks after her so well!! Is a bit over protective (she cries for more than five minutes and he wants to get the car ready for the hospital in case something is wrong with her... ), goes up and kisses her goodnight when he comes in from work... he's hopeless at changing nappies but at least he tries!! He can get smiles out of her whenever, whereas I have to sing and dance before I'd get them!!

I think I'll have to contend with you on that one Adrienne;):D My fella is the same, studying long hours, Monday to Friday in Dublin while i am in West Clare. But the moment he arrives in the door on a Friday he is nothing but doting to the little man. And like you I do all the hard work but he gets all the smiles:rolleyes: go figure!!!!!:)
    Another thing, whereas wolfpawnat was up and about a couple of hours after baby was born, I couldn't get out of the bed until the Sunday morning (gave birth on Friday night). The midwives didn't really seem pushed to get me up and about either... it made looking after baby really hard. They kept putting the baby too far away from me and I couldn't reach her when she cried, the also lowered my bed down too low so that I couldn't lift her in and out of her crib. I was close to tears one night because she was crying and I couldn't reach her, had pressed my alarm twice and about ten minutes later no midwife, so the girl in the next bed helped me to get her out.

Yes, We are all different like that:) The nurses could not believe I was up out of bed so quickly. Most of the nurses in my ward were good, except one of the night ones! If Aidan was hungry and I was asleep she'd give you a hard poke, inform you he was awake and feck off before checking did I need any assistance! All the rest would help me up in the bed, wait til I was completely awake or just not poke me really hard! I have to say though I really loved that hospital. I was half sad to leave!:(

Advertisement