Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

turntable MC on MM input

• 10-05-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

just reading through my amplifier manual (Onkyo TX-SR876) and it says that the phono input is only designed for Moving Magnet type carts. My turntable (project RPM5 SP) has a Moving Coil cart (Ortofon Tango). I only found out about the amp today that it only "likes" MM.. I've had the deck now for a few months and it sounds fine...

Am I doing any damage or anything to my amp by using this cart?? It says for MC carts to use an MC preamp... The sound is fine the current way but i'd rather get the MC preamp if it's safer/better??

Any opinions from the more knowledgeable hifi heads?!

cheers
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

ok... doing some reading here... my cart outputs 0.5mV and my amp wants an input of 2.5mV

currently, i have the amp up pretty much full whack to hear the phono at a decent level.. i take it should really get an MC premap for my set up (0.5mV to 2.5mV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Adam,
    You might want to ask that over on 'the other place'. I wouldn't know enough myself but the guys there will tell you in a second.
    Of course it might be cheaper to change the cart than buy a new phono stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As you have found out, a MC cartridge puts out a fraction of the output you get from a typical MM cartridge. Yes, you should get a MC pre-amp.

Personally I would seriously consider selling my existing preamp and buying a pre amp with a built in MC stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

cnocbui wrote: »
    Personally I would seriously consider selling my existing preamp and buying a pre amp with a built in MC stage.

i dont have a separate preamp yet, its built in to my current amp. so i've decided im going to get the CA 640p

thanks all

Advertisement