Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White House Correspondents Dinner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Watched them earlier on today and Obama was fantastic. Cheney and Limbaugh really get pwned by Wanda Sykes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Nightwish wrote: »
    Cheney and Limbaugh really get pwned by Wanda Sykes!
    Could have been the Republican Three Stooges if she had added Sarah Palin (Curly).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,406 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

thanks for posting , it wasnt exactly in the style of Bush and Colbert but amusing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

wandy sykes is awful, obama jokes are hit and misses as usual. but mostly hits

just watched caraig fergusons one for bush a few years back awful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

They were raising the point on Fox that if comments were made by a conservative calling a democrat a terrorist and wishing them to die of liver failure their would be huge outrage.

Still trying to make up my mind whether it was just Fox being Fox or wheter they have a point.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

They were raising the point on Fox that if comments were made by a conservative calling a democrat a terrorist and wishing them to die of liver failure their would be huge outrage.

Still trying to make up my mind whether it was just Fox being Fox or wheter they have a point.:confused:

Um...many right wingers have called Obama a terrorist, and Glenn Beck has his little list of liberals to kill, which I think is a bit more extreme. At least Sykes was joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Glenn Beck has his little list of liberals to kill

That is a blatant lie and you know it. He may call people like Pelosi, Reid and Fran dirtbags but he has NEVER called for their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,303 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive listened to enough of Glenny Poo to know hes as harmless as anyone. If he joked he had a Liberal Death List, thats all it was.

Overheal wrote: »
    Ive listened to enough of Glenny Poo to know hes as harmless as anyone. If he joked he had a Liberal Death List, thats all it was.

Fair enough. Withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Obama's speech was excellent. Loved the bit at the start with the prompters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Um...many right wingers have called Obama a terrorist
    Now, now The Mad Hatter, that was just a "subtle hint" proclaimed on the stump (and blasted over the airwaves) by McCain-Palin during the 2008 campaign... Recalling when Ayers was a terrorist and Obama was 8 years old? Only Big Brother scare tactic Republicans of the McCarty Era would ever see Obama as a terrorist sympathizer?

After all, McCain-Palin didn't intend to run a dirty smear campaign by attacking Obama's character in order to distract the voters from the real issues of going to war over non-existent weapons of mass destruction, or the Republican Bush-Cheney administration failing to mitigate and adequately address the biggest economic meltdown since the Great Depression during their 8 years in office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

At least Sykes was joking.

TBH, it wasn't a good one. More shocking than funny. The one about Palin pulling out at the last minute and abstinence programs was both though:).

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Glenn Beck did say he wants to kill Michael Moore. And that he gets down and his knees and prays that Dennis Kucinich will burst into flames.

Just sayin.

We all wanted Bush to get shot too.

I guess we're all terrorists then.

:rolleyes:

You do have to appreciate the Double Standard. I could say I hoped someone would shoot Bush all day in my family. Then when Obama was winning the election and I commented "Wow, what if he was shot?" people turn on you and say HOW DARE YOU THINK THAT.

I guess we're all terrorists then.

:rolleyes:

You do have to appreciate the Double Standard. I could say I hoped someone would shoot Bush all day in my family. Then when Obama was winning the election and I commented "Wow, what if he was shot?" people turn on you and say HOW DARE YOU THINK THAT.

:eek: If Bush had been shot, Cheney would have been actual president!

LostinKildare: thanks, I knew I'd heard something like that...

Bush had a lot of "shots," both as a student at Yale, and later in the Air National Guard, when he heroically defended the State of Texas against the State of Oklahoma during the Vietnam War.

I think when a person says they want another person to die is just a low life piece of ****. I didn't agree with Clinton, I didn't always agree with Bush [both] and I don't agree with most of Obama's policies thus far but I never wished death on any of them. I was brought up better than that.

Anybody who laughed at Sykes comments are low class themselves.

I agree. The thing about wishing his kidneys would fail was really ugly. The rhetoric on both sides goes too far.

I agree. The thing about wishing his kidneys would fail was really ugly. The rhetoric on both sides goes too far.

Most of the uglyness comes from the left anymore. Sykes is a nobody but Obama laughing at the remark was worse. I expect stupidity from "comedians" but from "Intelligent" people like Obama I expect more.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Most of the uglyness comes from the left anymore.

That I don't agree with. The right-wing professional hatemongers like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter have no parallel on the Left. Neither does Michele Bachmann.

• Advertisement

That I don't agree with. The right-wing professional hatemongers like Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter have no parallel on the Left. Neither does Michele Bachmann.

Al Frankin, Janeane Garafolo, Matt Maher, Sean Penn and most Hollywood "stars" and Keith Olbermann and the MSNBC, CNBC, CBS, NBC and CNN would like a word with you.

so give me an example. I live outside the U.S., maybe I just haven't heard these egregious things.

Most of the uglyness comes from the left anymore.
    What is this "left" you speak of? Is there a clear and accepted definition of this term "left" that is not filled with bias and hurtful feelings?

Can you define the "left" vis-a-vis the position of the post-2008 presidential election year Republican party, if in fact the Republican party has a position that most Republicans agree with?

Are there "left" Republicans too, or are there just Republicans that "left" the party like Specter?

so give me an example. I live outside the U.S., maybe I just haven't heard these egregious things.

Al Frankin released a book called Rush is a big, fat idiot and was also a talk show host on the failed liberal radio network Air America. Garafolo also a former host of said network also recently referred to the tea Party protestors as teabagging rednecks and racists. Bill Maher turned Bush jokes into toilet humor level [a joke told for a cheap pop, where only an idiot would laugh] Sean Penn current gay activist and said Americans should be ashamed of themselves for being for traditional marriage and has called Bush a dictator for years but was a frequent guest of Hugo Chavez and the Castro Bros. Those are real dictators he's manloving on. Olberman is a host of an MSNBC show that's clearly in the tank for Obama. Its owned by GE [General Electric] and is kissing up to Obama ust to get Federal Money and Contracts for the "Green Initiative" He hosted the show where Garafolo said her disgusting remarks against the Tea Party protestors.

Other than that its too numerous to list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Al Frankin released a book called Rush is a big, fat idiot and was also a talk show host on the failed liberal radio network Air America. Garafolo also a former host of said network also recently referred to the tea Party protestors as teabagging rednecks and racists. Bill Maher turned Bush jokes into toilet humor level [a joke told for a cheap pop, where only an idiot would laugh] Sean Penn current gay activist and said Americans should be ashamed of themselves for being for traditional marriage and has called Bush a dictator for years but was a frequent guest of Hugo Chavez and the Castro Bros. Those are real dictators he's manloving on. Olberman is a host of an MSNBC show that's clearly in the tank for Obama. Its owned by GE [General Electric] and is kissing up to Obama ust to get Federal Money and Contracts for the "Green Initiative" He hosted the show where Garafolo said her disgusting remarks against the Tea Party protestors.

Other than that its too numerous to list.

Frankin was a comedian at the time. Plus Rush is a big fat idiot.
    Garafolo, thats her opinion I'd be inclined to agree with her.
    Bill Maher: Is a comedian
    Penn is a actor: plus Chavez is not a dictator. Americans who want to stop the rights of others should be ashamed of themselves.

Olberman you have a point with he goes over the top a bit but never heard him talk about hurting others.

Nothing there that's over the top. Nobody wishing harm to others.

Give me a quote that rivals this:
    “My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times building.” (Coulter)

or this
    "I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, 'Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore,' and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, 'Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death.' And you know, well, I'm not sure." (Beck)

or this
    "I think there should be no mercy shown to these sub-humans. I believe that a thousand of them should be killed tomorrow. I think a thousand of them held in the Iraqi prison should be given 24 hour -- a trial and executed. I think they need to be shown that we are not going to roll over to them ... Instead of putting joysticks, I would have liked to have seen dynamite put in their orifices and they should be dropped from airplanes ... They should put dynamite in their behinds and drop them from 35,000 feet, the whole pack of scum out of that jail."
    (Savage, about Abu Ghraib prisoners)

Its asinine to sit here and markup a scorecard to see which side of the aisle is scoring a bogey. Theres fault on all sides. Shock and/or Ghasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

overall I was disapointed at Wanda Sykes,had never seen her before but she seemed to be dying a death on-stage and knew it!
    the parts that were funny she could have fitted into two minuates!

obama i thought done just ok,even the funny bits lacked good delivery.

Leaving politics out of it, the link below is humour wise the best I have found.
    I think its hilarious:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPAUi3VPSo

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    Frankin was a comedian at the time. Plus Rush is a big fat idiot.

Whether its true or not is irrelevant. Making a personal insult of that nature is low. Especially when Frankin considers himself in Politics.
    Garafolo, thats her opinion I'd be inclined to agree with her.

You think racism was the only thing driving the Tea Parties?
    Bill Maher: Is a comedian
    Who is also a pompous ass who thinks he knows everything.
    Penn is a actor:
    Whos doesn't know when to shut up.
    plus Chavez is not a dictator.

LOL @ this tripe. There goes your credibility.
    Americans who want to stop the rights of others should be ashamed of themselves.

Judgemental aren't you? People who believe in traditional marriage have nothing to be ashamed of.
    Olberman you have a point with he goes over the top a bit but never heard him talk about hurting others.

You better watch his show before mouthing off about Beck and O'Reilly then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Al Frankin released a book called Rush is a big, fat idiot
    Ignoring for a moment either the veracity of the statement or your annoyance over it, the title of Franken's book was an ironic dig at one of America's most famous ad hominem attackers. Limbaugh, after all, had taken particular glee in calling Chelsea Clinton a "dog" in public. American satire is sure getting personal.

Advertisement