Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White House Correspondents Dinner

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

sceptre wrote: »
    Ignoring for a moment either the veracity of the statement or your annoyance over it, the title of Franken's book was an ironic dig at one of America's most famous ad hominem attackers. Limbaugh, after all, had taken particular glee in calling Chelsea Clinton a "dog" in public. American satire is sure getting personal.

Its gotten really ugly in the last few years thats for sure. Its gotten polarized for some reason. Election Day is like Super bowl Sunday. My team vs Your team which is a stupid idea. Growing up in a White Lower Middle Class family we expected to get screwed over regardless of who won.

One of my friends Father's used to say: "Regardless of who wins you still got to go to work the next day. Whoever wins is not going to have a huge impact on your life"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Whether its true or not is irrelevant. Making a personal insult of that nature is low. Especially when Frankin considers himself in Politics.

You think racism was the only thing driving the Tea Parties?

Who is also a pompous ass who thinks he knows everything.

Whos doesn't know when to shut up.

LOL @ this tripe. There goes your credibility.

Judgemental aren't you? People who believe in traditional marriage have nothing to be ashamed of.

You better watch his show before mouthing off about Beck and O'Reilly then.

Olberman is the only one of your list who claims to be a journalist, don't see much of his show maybe you have examples?

Comedians and actors can say what they like. Who cares what they say anyway they don't represent anyone.
    Frankin wrote that book years ago before he became a politician.
    Teabaggers racist? Yeah pretty much, sore losers to.
    Believe in "traditional Marriage" all you like just don't impose your beliefs on others. Live and let live I say. Unlike these guys who want to decide who can get married. Yes they should be ashamed.
    Chavez is not a dictator maybe check that out yourself.

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    Teabaggers racist? Yeah pretty much, sore losers to.

Your bias is showing through. Most of the protesters siad they VOTED for Obama and were disappointed in him growing the Govt even bigger and doubling the deficit in only a few months.
    Believe in "traditional Marriage" all you like just don't impose your beliefs on others. Live and let live I say. Unlike these guys who want to decide who can get married. Yes they should be ashamed.

LOL. Those Gay Marriage activists sure aren't trying to force their beliefs on anyone. :rolleyes:

Chavez is not a dictator maybe check that out yourself.

LOL again at this. He's had Political opponents killed and even came out with a law that he can stay in power indefinitely. And don't Penn that Chavez isn't a big fan of gays.

Your bias is showing through. Most of the protesters siad they VOTED for Obama and were disappointed in him growing the Govt even bigger and doubling the deficit in only a few months.

LOL. Those Gay Marriage activists sure aren't trying to force their beliefs on anyone. :rolleyes:

LOL again at this. He's had Political opponents killed and even came out with a law that he can stay in power indefinitely. And don't Penn that Chavez isn't a big fan of gays.

Most of the said they voted for Obama? Source?
    If they are protesting gov spending why weren't they out when Bush was spending like a lunatic?
    How is making gay marriage legal forcing their beliefs on anyone? Why should the Gov decide who can marry? thought you right wingers were for less gov intrusion.
    Chavez did not "come out with a law that he can stay in power indefinitely". Dunno his opinion on gay people.

Most of the said they voted for Obama? Source?
    Right from the Protestors themselves.
    If they are protesting gov spending why weren't they out when Bush was spending like a lunatic?

I gave a nice summary in your garafolo thread.
    How is making gay marriage legal forcing their beliefs on anyone? Why should the Gov decide who can marry? thought you right wingers were for less gov intrusion.

The People of California voted for it. Gay Marriage was shot down. End of. The Will of the People should prevail. The ridiculous Church Invasions aren't going to get them what they want.
    Chavez did not "come out with a law that he can stay in power indefinitely". Dunno his opinion on gay people.

He is allowed to stay in power indefinitely. That is a dictator.

• Advertisement

Right from the Protestors themselves.

I gave a nice summary in your garafolo thread.

The People of California voted for it. Gay Marriage was shot down. End of. The Will of the People should prevail. The ridiculous Church Invasions aren't going to get them what they want.

He is allowed to stay in power indefinitely. That is a dictator.

Sorry when I say source I mean like a newspaper or something. If you spoke individually to every protester or did your own survey my apologies.

Gay marriage you didn't answer any of my questions like how is it imposing on others rights?

Chavez can run for election more than twice. Big difference than "stay in power indefinitely". Same as in the UK, Ireland and most countries. They all dictatorships too?

Sorry when I say source I mean like a newspaper or something. If you spoke individually to every protester or did your own survey my apologies.

Watch some news or read papers from something other than the Obama buttkissers. You'll actually learn something.
    Gay marriage you didn't answer any of my questions like how is it imposing on others rights?
    What part of The People voted on it and they decided against it don't you understand?
    Chavez can run for election more than twice. Big difference than "stay in power indefinitely". Same as in the UK, Ireland and most countries. They all dictatorships too?

Nice try. :rolleyes:

Watch some news or read papers from something other than the Obama buttkissers. You'll actually learn something.

What part of The People voted on it and they decided against it don't you understand?

Nice try. :rolleyes:

Why don't you link to one of these newspapers and educate me?
    Still no answer to the question.
    Whatever!!!!

Why don't you link to one of these newspapers and educate me?
    Why you're so fun to play with as you are.
    Still no answer to the question.

Ask the Great and Wise Obama what he thinks....Oh wait a minute. He's for traditional marriage as well. My Bad as the kids say. :D
    Whatever!!!!

Its ok. If you want to believe an idiot like Penn that Chavez is a nice guy that's your opinion. A low one but still one nonetheless.

Why you're so fun to play with as you are.

Ask the Great and Wise Obama what he thinks....Oh wait a minute. He's for traditional marriage as well. My Bad as the kids say. :D

Its ok. If you want to believe an idiot like Penn that Chavez is a nice guy that's your opinion. A low one but still one nonetheless.

So you have no links?
    You still can't say how gay marriage imposes on others rights.
    Never said Chavez was a nice guy, just that he's not a dictator. Don't really care what Sean Penn thinks about anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I posted this in the garofolo thread but it applies here too....

Can't defend her racism alegation. The vast majority of the protests were not racially motivated.
    Although I would imagine that the genuine fiscally conservative, of the Ron Paul mould, were greatly outnumbered by the Anti-Obama/Democrat posse that i feel Fox News is aimed at.

The latter group weren't heard during the excessive expendature during the Bush years. High spending and low taxes is not fiscally prudent so to get so worked up about fiscal prudence now is a bit unusual. Its no surprise that people would question their motives.
    It looks like that they are social conservatives who never had a problem with big government with the republicans in charge, but when its the democrats, headed by Barack Obama of all people, out comes the placards and claims of socialsim.
    They remind me of the 'took our jobs' crowd from South Park.

Also, an executive and legislative branch controlled by the Democrats is always going to react to a financial crises with stimulus spending, so I don't know where you coming from with this... "He ofcourse wins and soon after there talks of the Dems planning more bailouts [now called stimulus plans] ofcourse those were signed soon after Obama was sworn into office" ...as if those that elected obama into office did not expect further spending.
    MOST of the protestors voted for obama?
    If thats true then Its fair to ask if they even knew why they were voting for him and if they understand why they are protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Overheal wrote: »
    Its asinine to sit here and markup a scorecard to see which side of the aisle is scoring a bogey. Theres fault on all sides. Shock and/or Ghasp.

Asinine?

Overheal, I think there's a substantive difference between wishing for someone to suffer a painful death -- whether you're joking about it or not -- and calling someone an idiot, racist, or dictator. To me, the former is over the line, and JohnMc1 seemed to agree when he wrote
    I think when a person says they want another person to die is just a low life piece of ****. I didn't agree with Clinton, I didn't always agree with Bush [both] and I don't agree with most of Obama's policies thus far but I never wished death on any of them. I was brought up better than that.

If you don't agree that there's any real difference, fine.

More generally, I think it's worth discussing whether we should expect a minimal level of civility in political discourse -- drawing the line at calling for the violent deaths of our enemies, for example -- and also whether over-the-top rhetoric could be damaging to society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Sean Penn current gay activist and said Americans should be ashamed of themselves for being for traditional marriage

Could we have the quote itself please...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Nodin wrote: »

But he heard it himself?

1. Chavez can indeed stay in power indefinitely, if he is voted in by the people, similar to a few other countries I know.

2. Allowing gay marriage isn't imposing your views on anyone else. How is your marriage affected by the gay couple's marriage down the street? and how is it their problem?

3. Racist or not (imo not), you cannot deny it is a touch hypocritical of the Teabaggers to protest about Government Spending now, when its required, compared to a few years ago, when it was to fuel a war no-one supported.

Otacon wrote: »
    But he heard it himself?

Given the way he phrased it, I'd say he heard it off O'Reilly on Fox, or some similar hack.

The full speech
    Thank you. Thank you. You commie, homo-loving sons-of-guns. I did not expect this, but I, and I want it to be very clear, that I do know how hard I make it to appreciate me often. But I am touched by the appreciation and I hoped for it enough that I did want to scribble down, so I had the names in case you were commie, homo-loving sons-of-guns, and so I want to thank my best friend, Sata Matsuzawa. My circle of long-time support, Mara, Brian, Barry and Bob. The great Cleve Jones. Our wonderful writer, Lance Black. Producers Bruce Cohen and Dan Jinks.
    And particularly, as all, as actors know, our director either has the patience, talent and restraint to grant us a voice or they don't, and it goes from the beginning of the meeting, through the cutting room. And there is no finer hands to be in than Gus Van Sant. And finally, for those, two last finallies, for those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support.
    We've got to have equal rights for everyone. And there are, and there are, these last two things. I'm very, very proud to live in a country that is willing to elect an elegant man president and a country who, for all its toughness, creates courageous artists. And this is in great due respect to all the nominees, but courageous artists, who despite a sensitivity that sometimes has brought enormous challenge, Mickey Rourke rises again and he is my brother. Thank you all very much."—
    (my bold)
    http://www.mahalo.com/Sean_Penn_Oscar_Speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Otacon wrote: »
    3. Racist or not (imo not), you cannot deny it is a touch hypocritical of the Teabaggers to protest about Government Spending now, when its required, compared to a few years ago, when it was to fuel a war no-one supported.

In fairness, I remember there being alot of support for the war at the time. It was the height of the post-911 patriotism. Questioning the motive for going to war and the potential length/cost of it would lead to being branded as 'Un-American'.

I do see the hypocracy that you're talking about though. Alot of the war's supporters still defended the administration even after it was clear that it was a complete **** up, and i'm sure that alot of that crowd were present at the protests. Its just another divisive issue for the anti-'liberal' brigade to blindly adopt. I don't think they care, or can even see the hypocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

I think he is referring to Penn's Oscar acceptance speech, in which he referred to demonstrators outside the theater who were protesting against gay marriage and attacking the late Heath Ledger (who was straight, but a target because of his role in Brokeback Mountain) with signs that read "Heath in Hell." (classy, huh?)

Here is a link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/oscars/4786931/Oscars-2009-Sean-Penn-defends-gay-rights-as-protesters-abuse-Heath-Ledger.html

If you can't see the video, this is what he said:
    For those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that
    of support. We've got to have equal rights for everyone.

He didn't say that people who support traditional marriage should be ashamed; he said that people who voted to deny gays equal marriage rights should be ashamed. (that is, you are free to hold your own beliefs about traditional marriage, but you shouldn't impose those beliefs on others, restricting their civil rights)

He said during his Oscar speech [or whatever stupid award he go to for Milk] Surely if look hard enough you'll be able to find the video. :rolleyes:

He said during his Oscar speech [or whatever stupid award he go to for Milk] Surely if look hard enough you'll be able to find the video. :rolleyes:

If you'd bothered to see the responses since, you'll see its been posted. Rather unsurprisingly, its not as you or whoever you heard it off portrayed it.

Advertisement