Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing Lights above the City.

Options
  • 10-05-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

I saw a red flashing light in the sky last night over Limerick city. I'm not sure what they were, being Saturday night I thought maybe lasers lights from a city centre night club or something. Anyone any ideas? Strange, they traveled across the sky and stayed stationery for at least 10 minutes, this was between 11:30 and 11:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Someone, somewhere posted yesterday about launching some box laterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

HELICOPTER! Always around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You mean the Halloween type box lanterns? These were far too high in the sky and stayed for 10 mins plus. I thought it might be a helicopter, I don't think so because it moved too fast and too smoothly, straight across the sky. Also can a helicopter stay in exactly the same place for 10+ mins? and do they use flashing lights?

Initially I thought it was an aircraft - it had 3 lights (1 red, 1 yellow, possibly another red/yellow) as it moved. Then when it stopped I could see just one red one, that flashed like an ambulance flashing siren light. Steady, then bright, steady, then bright again, in about 5 second intervals. It stayed doing this for at least 10 minutes. I went off to bed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Maybe the moving lights were from a passing aircraft going towards Shannon, and it passed over Gallows Hill where the red lights from this thread don't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Spacemen

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Maybe the moving lights were from a passing aircraft going towards Shannon, and it passed over Gallows Hill where the red lights from this thread don't move.

Great, thanks for the link An File. Whats described in the first post is the same thing I saw, and I've never seen that post or thread until now: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58088995&postcount=1 I'm not sure of the location of the lights. I'm in Castletroy and with UL in front, the lights appeared in a north-westerly direction, between the hills and Castletroy. I thought maybe 5 miles away, but could've been further.

These couldn't have been aircraft flying into Shannon though, well none with current technology we know of anyway. They need to keep moving to stay in the air. This was stationary for at least 10 minutes. Also there was a barely audible sound, like an aircraft engine cruising in high altitude, a constant humming.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oracle wrote: »
    These couldn't have been aircraft flying into Shannon though, well none with current technology we know of anyway. They need to keep moving to stay in the air. This was stationary for at least 10 minutes. Also there was a barely audible sound, like an aircraft engine cruising in high altitude, a constant humming.

You say you heard that out on Castletroy?
    I heard a similar humming noise out in Ardnacrusha. At first I thought it was a phone vibrating somewhere else in the house, but the noise lasted for about 15 minutes.

Maybe there was something strange going on after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Airwolf in schooper schilent mode?

I dont think choppers are allowed fly over the city at night are they??

Helicopters, yeah maybe an advanced one. Also might have been over a relative country area, being far away from me. But do they have 3 flashing lights at night?

My guess would be the Ardnacrusha sound is the generators. I can't be sure the humming sound I heard was coming from the flashing lights. Just that I've never heard it before. Although I'd say the lights were about 5 miles away, it was a low frequency drone sound. So could well carry for miles, and I've good hearing.

I'm surprised no one else has posted who seen this, other people must have seen these lights. They were miles away from me and I could clearly see them. They would've appeared very bright to anyone nearer to them.

P.S. Just looking through the other thread, I noticed this post [my emphasis]:
    At the moment I can see 8 at different locations. They aren't planets because they sometimes move or disappear completely. And I'm very familiar with the Clare hills vista and can tell when something is a plane or not. My Friend living in Meelick has a good view of them right now.

Meelick would be consistent with the direction and distance of the lights I seen.

I've plotted the location of Meelick, Co. Clare and Castletroy using Google maps. The map says Meelick is about 5 miles from Castletroy, as the crow flies, in a north-westerly direction. The lights were between Castletroy and the hills, you can see the hills in the satellite view. So looks like what I saw was in the same area.

• Advertisement
Advertisement