Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three NAT

Options
  • 10-05-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Even if Three could provide a half way decent service to their suffering customers, there is still another problem with their network which should have been taken into account before they were given the NBS constract.

They insist on using NAT. (Network Address Translation) - probably better known to many as shared IP address.
    Basically, while this allows outward surfing, initiated from within the network, it prevents the reverse.
    Two practical examples:
    I customer asked me to set up a web cam for him for home monitoring - but it is impossible to access this from outside the network - due to the NAT limitation.
    Similarly, I would like to be able to access the NAS in my home network while out on the road or in the office - but once again can't due to Three's NAT.
    I would also like to set up my own email server- but until Three stop using NAT, or I can actually access a real broadband product, this is impossible.

In the early days, I also had the problem of being refused connection to my bank website because my ip address was already in use. Thankfully the bank in question became aware of the problem that three were causing and changed their system to cater for their customer who were being locked out ...
    Now that I think about it, an Irish bank, providing better customer care to their customers, due to a problem that wasn't even their fault. In this day and age it says it all about Three.ie !!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Imagine do the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also Permanet I think one Public IP per mast.

maybe IoffL could compile a list of all Irish ISPs and satellite systems sold here with true/false on each point:
    1. Every customer gets a separate Public IPV4
    2. IP is Irish Geo or not (non Irish will Block RTE player etc)
    3. Customers can request a Static IPV4 (may be charge)
    4. IPV6 is available (may be a charge)
    5. People share IP (one or a few per network), NAT or Proxy
    6. People share IP (one per mast), NAT or Proxy.
    7. ISP NAT does not let you have any "server" service such as VPN (access your home PC, use hotspots to email/internet securely via home or office PC on the ISP), VLC (stream your own video or audio to a remote site/ mobile client), VNC (Remote desktop). I don't mean a client to these, which will work via NAT/Proxy

We don't care about 1:1 transparent Proxy or NAT as these automatically forward all ports and it looks as if you have a unique Public IP for your Modem.

Also
    If there is throttling, an "unlimited" which is really a discretionary Cap (BT, UPC, Smart, UTV).
    What happens if you go over cap (eircom = usually Nothing, Mobile = huge bill, Digiweb = 100kbps speed etc)
    How Cap calculated.
    What the likely peak time up and down speeds on each package are.

Also features:
    * Free Web space
    * How is Web space accessed? (impossible for free eircom space if not connected via eircom)
    * Free email account
    * SMTP (able to sensibly send mail)
    * POP/IMAP/WEB (able to use email client or Web client on any network)
    * Any news Server (Limited, most text or Text + Binaries)
    * Is service good enough for VOIP?
    * Is service good enough for decent Web TV (RTE, YouTube, DailyMotion)?
    * Does it maintain session if there is a disconnect (long time upload/downloads, web shopping, eBay bidding etc)

Due to feebleness of Consumer regulation enforcement and Comreg these comparisons and info are hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭IrelandOffline_

watty wrote: »
    Also Permanet I think one Public IP per mast.

maybe IoffL could compile a list of all Irish ISPs and satellite systems sold here with true/false on each point:
    1. Every customer gets a separate Public IPV4
    2. IP is Irish Geo or not (non Irish will Block RTE player etc)
    3. Customers can request a Static IPV4 (may be charge)
    4. IPV6 is available (may be a charge)
    5. People share IP (one or a few per network), NAT or Proxy
    6. People share IP (one per mast), NAT or Proxy.
    7. ISP NAT does not let you have any "server" service such as VPN (access your home PC, use hotspots to email/internet securely via home or office PC on the ISP), VLC (stream your own video or audio to a remote site/ mobile client), VNC (Remote desktop). I don't mean a client to these, which will work via NAT/Proxy

We don't care about 1:1 transparent Proxy or NAT as these automatically forward all ports and it looks as if you have a unique Public IP for your Modem.

Also
    If there is throttling, an "unlimited" which is really a discretionary Cap (BT, UPC, Smart, UTV).
    What happens if you go over cap (eircom = usually Nothing, Mobile = huge bill, Digiweb = 100kbps speed etc)
    How Cap calculated.
    What the likely peak time up and down speeds on each package are.

Also features:
    * Free Web space
    * How is Web space accessed? (impossible for free eircom space if not connected via eircom)
    * Free email account
    * SMTP (able to sensibly send mail)
    * POP/IMAP/WEB (able to use email client or Web client on any network)
    * Any news Server (Limited, most text or Text + Binaries)
    * Does it maintain session if there is a disconnect (long time upload/downloads, web shopping, eBay bidding etc)

Due to feebleness of Consumer regulation enforcement and Comreg these comparisons and info are hard to do.

Great idea.

Anybody want to make a start on it?

I'm sure most of the Telcos /ISPs read this site. Nothing is stopping them posting the Info? ;)

Don't be shy lads.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

watty wrote: »
    Those are very subjective questions. How many ISPs do you think will reply "no, sorry" to those - including VSAT and midband operators?

There's some chance of getting responses to a strictly factual questionnaire, but even then, if the responses to factual questions would come across as unflattering, you simply won't get a response.

• Advertisement

I know.

We need to come up with definitive internationally recognised set of metrics and do most of the footwork ourselves.

The list as you guess was off the top of my head.
    The numbered items easier to pin down?

We could have two options for VOIP
    G711 needs near 100kbps each way (depending on frame size) but tolerates a certain degree of jitter & packet loss (<1% for Modem/Fax useage though).

G729 only needs maybe 12kbps (depends on frame size etc) but not tolerant of packet loss and jitter as well as G711

Skype and some others cope badly with rapid drops in bandwidth even though they are speed adaptive codecs. They would profit in such apps on some ISPs by having a checkbox with a "use maximum" setting. i.e. set it to 40k on 3G (the uplink is often only that even if downlink is 300k)

UDP streaming video. Minimum of 512k CBR UDP for "better quality" and minimum 180kbps for basic video?

Thoughts?

Advertisement