Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with my sage

Options
  • 10-05-2009 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Well, I've got my pots of herbs going, thanks Minesajackdaniels, however it looks as if my sage might have greenfly .. I've seen a couple of the blighters on it or something else .. some of the leaves have white spots on them, almost like tiny dry patches.

What are my options for treating against greenfly - do I need to choose a specific pesticide as I aim to consume the leaves ?

Does the spotty leaf thing sound like trouble ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Put a pair of rubber gloves on and squash the greenfly with your fingers.

Where is the plant located? You might need to up the water levels somewhat if it's in a pot that's drying out a lot. Every so often, give the plant a good soaking. A lot of the moisture will run through and collect in a saucer under the pot. Leave it to stand in that water for no more than about 15-20 minute, then pour off the excess. A good soaking every so often and good sunlight, plus squashing the greenfly, should help.

Also, if you can find a liquid seaweed fertiliser, apply a dilute solution to the plant - pour over using a watering can, so you feed both the foliage and the plant itself (water the plant first - never fertilise a moisture-stressed plant).

Finally, remove the leaves with the white spots if you can (assuming that won't denude the whole plant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

agree with Majd on the greenfly thing. I find just squishing them off is a good way, or washing then off. Just be careful that you actually get them off altogether or they'll just regroup and come back

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

THanks guys, will do as you suggest re-flis and spots - it is in a pot pot rather than plastic so I'll bear the watering in mind altho' the las few days have given it a good soak !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a large container 3/4 filled with water, add a liberal supply of tomato food or whatever you like, place your pots, window boxes, hanging baskets etc in this weekly, change the fertilizer every week, ie tomato food, prostegen, anti potato blight mixture, etc, sage does not have longivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭See Ye

old boy wrote: »
    sage does not have longivity.
    Ture but I was hoping for more than a few weeks. I usually fertilize once summer comes along and I'm having to water more regularly but this sounds like a plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement