Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaming chairs

Options
  • 10-05-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,
    I'm looking for some advice on buying a gaming chair.. I am planning on buying one for my 11 year old son who is addicted to his ps3..
    So is there anybody that can recommend a good gaming chair and also where to get one.. i'm in cork but if i could order one online from a uk company that would deliver here that would be great also...
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I saw Hanleys in Dundrum sell them, no use to you though unless theres a Hanleys in Cork ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I never really seen much of a point in gaming chairs, getting new games, better speakers etc would always win out for me. Also if he uses a living room for his gaming then one of these would look a bit out of place.

But on where to find one -- Argos had one in stock a while ago, but I don't know if they still do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

yeah argos had them. I can see a use for them if you are playing games on a smaller tv screen. I used to sit right in front of my 15" TV in my bedroom when I was 11, playing on my Sega, would of loved a gaming chair back then.

Now though, an armchair, a big ass tv and a nice surround setup suffices. Would never buy one of those chairs now. I think they are mainly for young gamers who have their consoles set up in their bedrooms and don't want to be sitting on the floor or on the corner of their bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. Gruff

I presume you've tried Smyth's? I know they were stocking gaming chairs last time i was in there. That was a few months ago though.

All the same, it couldn't hurt to take a peek and maybe ask inside...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Screw the gaming chairs, get him one of those giant bean bag type things. They are pretty damn cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Mr. Gruff

Screw the gaming chairs, get him one of those giant bean bag type things. They are pretty damn cool.

Even better, My friend has something called a sofabag in his front room. It's the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on, I can believe he doesn't spend more time playing videogames on it but he's more of a sporty type -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Decent headphones/speakers + one of those cheap, soft "egg chair"-types.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

I don't think an 11 year old addicted to Playstation is healthy

(Hell I'm a 14 year old PSfanboy what am I saying!)

+1 to a bean bag... infinitely better than a gaming chair. Although don't cheap out on one, the cheap ones go flat and lumpy very quickly.

Try Buddabag OP, closest to you is in galway: http://www.buddabag.com/find_budda.php?page=galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sud

Thanks everybody for yere responses
    I myself think the beanbag option is the better one as I think the gaming chairs in argos etc look uncomfortable but there was one I saw online which I thought was a good mix between them both its the pyramat 2.1 game bag...
    Anybody have any experience of this one...
    Thanks again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It looks ok, but as said, whether the speakers are up to scratch is an unknown.

sud wrote: »
    pyramat 2.1 game bag...Anybody have any experience of this one...Thanks again...

2.1? That means it has a sub built in. Could be cool I guess (for the ladies ;)), the chair would act the same as the rumble function on the controller providing feedback.

Thing is, at that price, like Kiki said, the speakers and sub can't be up to scratch. It should really be a case of try before buying with something like this.

Personally, if I had the choice of a good quality set of cans or a cheap 2.1 speaker setup, I'd go for the cans.

Sennheiser HD555's
    are excellent. If I can't use my 5.1 setup I use these and find them just as immersive.

Advertisement