Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is better - BMW F650 or Honda Deauville?

• 10-05-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Which do you guys think would be a better bike for commuting. I have a F650 but I'm thinking about getting a Deauville, would it be worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

stick with what ya got boy. Ya be bored on the other one after coming of your one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

+1

Anyways the BMW comes with a built in cappucino maker and the deuville dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Depends really on what you want, better fuel economy on the BMW, or better weather protection on the Deauville?

Shaft is good on the Honda as little or no maintenance ( gear oil change every so often), but how much hassle is it to oil a chain every few hundred miles on the BMW? not much i'd say.

I'd be inclined to stick with the F650 unless your itching for a change or need the extra storage capacity on the honda. F650 is probably slimmer also for filtering in traffic and probably a bit lighter to flick around.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Deauville = Dull-Ville

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Despite the racism against the Deaville (:p) its a good bike. But if you already have a 650 then its pretty pointless switching. That being said the new Deauville is 700cc and has fuel injection so its well nippier.

Is the BMW expensive to maintain?

Pluses for the Deaville are its comfort, reliability, paniers/storage space, shaft driven, low maintenance.
    Negatives are some people find them boring.

Ive only driven the BMW 650 Dakar a few times so I cant really comment to much on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I've driven the Deauville also and wouldn't call it too dull, depends on what your used to really.

Four years ago one of my mates rode one down to spain on a Deauville, held a good pace all the ways down, and kept reasonable pace with FJR's, blackbirds,bm's etc..

Only down point was there was no temperature gauge on them (only a red light), and it overheated when the fan fuse blew down in Barcellona (wiring problem). Saying that once the fan was sorted there was no engine damage.

Any thoughts on an 1100 Pan Euro? they don't work out that more expensive and a good step up on the power.. just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

DivX wrote: »
    I've driven the Deauville also and wouldn't call it too dull, depends on what your used to really.

Four years ago one of my mates rode one down to spain on a Deauville, held a good pace all the ways down, and kept reasonable pace with FJR's, blackbirds,bm's etc..

Only down point was there was no temperature gauge on them (only a red light), and it overheated when the fan fuse blew down in Barcellona (wiring problem). Saying that once the fan was sorted there was no engine damage.

Any thoughts on an 1100 Pan Euro? they don't work out that more expensive and a good step up on the power.. just a thought.

The Deauville was targeted at car drivers who got had got sick of waiting in traffic and wanted to try out a bike, they wanted to encourage lads to stay biking then once they had them , so it was designed to be bland/non-scary/whatever.

If you're going to go for a Pan Euro , try and go for the 1300 , years of progress between them ( another way of looking at it : they should've built the 1300 years ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

forget the deauville but if you wanna change the bmw go up in size
    try one of 1100 or 1150 bmw's forget about the newer 1200's
    or try a pan euro or varadero 1000
    wat do you use the bike for

slapper wrote: »
    forget the deauville but if you wanna change the bmw go up in size
    try one of 1100 or 1150 bmw's forget about the newer 1200's
    or try a pan euro or varadero 1000
    wat do you use the bike for
    +1
    Vardero 1000 would be savage.
    A pan would be grand also. Ya can pick a pan up cheap enough there days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Pan is pointless for city driving. Its too big, too heavy and awful for meandering through traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yeah if you're happy with Beamers then try out the GS1150. Had one a while back and its an excellent bike.
    I paid ridiculous money for mine but I see the prices have dropped somewhat in the past year or two.
    Its a lot heavier than the 650 but I managed to commute in town no problem.

Advertisement