Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 3rd Pro-CT Mod For CT Forum

Options
  • 10-05-2009 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Hi. I appreciate I am now probably putting a target in my own back here but here goes...

Sure it won't be taken serious, such as when the users were taken the piss out of on the move to Soc when the Economist was loudly proclaimed as the new Mod in town and all the drastic changes he was taking with him.

The recent banning of Mysterious highlighted a few fundamental issues with the CT forum at the moment.

For me he was at least he was partly the victim of the everpresent under-current of hostility and antagonism directed constantly towards the pro-CT members and their views. He reacted, predictably probably, but as far as I can make out he does not logon to argue but to express his views. For example, the comment that actually got him banned was in response to an admitted skeptic posting a video that he mocked.

This is not about Mysterious though.

I am sure many of you do not frequent the CT forum so this is the best way it can be described in my view.

A gay guy goes to a visit a gay club. He wants to meet & talk with likeminded people free from discrimination and ridicule he faces daily due to his situation.

Once he gets in its not what he expected at all. Rather that just fellow homo-sexuals what he encounters is a majority of straight men. Strangely some of these straight men are regulars, despite there being a straight (skeptic) club across the road. Whats worse is that these straight men are actually virulent homophobes and view any gay visitors with contempt and make no secret about it.

Some of these gay men can handle the sometimes concealed sometimes not but always constant taunts and jibes and the eternal condescending attitude. Unfortunately others (e.g. Mysterious) respond.

So this attacked minority of gay men look to the bouncers for some help and support.

Unfortunately, the 2 bouncers are straight men too. In fact one has no interest in the subject at all according to himself, so the pattern continues.

Any passing gay trade is immediately put off entering/staying due to the hostile environment against their kind. So numbers dwindle, eventually the club has to close, even the straight men no longer frequent as they have no interest in each other it is far more entertaining shooting fish in a barrel.

So. I'd reccomend a third pro-CT mod to add some balance.

As you are you have 1. Bonkey - A sceptic, but is the epitomy of moderation IMO.

and 2. 6th - Who finds CT posters more interesting the CT's themselves.

And due to the current nature of the forum unfortunately there are 2 distinct sides. So I feel some balance would be beneficial.

I cannot imagine it would be accepted in any other forum. To have 100% of the mod's who would actually argue against the subject matter of the topics or have apparently no interest, and I would say therefore little understanding of the topics.

It is worth pointing out that without posters like Mysterious there would be no Forum. It would be as active as the skeptics forum.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

Just to add -

I have no problems to people being punished for breaking the rules. But I would prefer some consistency.

Water off a ducks back but I personally have been on the recieving end of far worse abuse than Mysterious has ever given out.

Sometimes checked others not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

So, people who believe in conspiracy theories are gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why of course. Everyone knows that NASA disperses vials of the gay virus anytime it does a launch.

/Sofa King can you discuss the problem Plainly?

If we're talking Pro Conspiracy theorists I can't think of anyone with a shinier tin hat than Run To Da Hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

To avoid the inevitable harping (which has started already), it might be an idea OP, to provide a few examples of where you feel that the moderation there is unfair, or where you feel there has been a bias in favour of skeptics (of which I am one, unashamedly).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

To avoid the inevitable harping (which has started already), it might be an idea OP, to provide a few examples of where you feel that the moderation there is unfair, or where you feel there has been a bias in favour of skeptics (of which I am one, unashamedly).
    if theres going to be linking and discussion/complaints on modding it should happen in the helpdesk, (located here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is there really a need? A mod is there to keep the peace. What they believe should have nothing to do with how they do this job. If you feel they're not doing a good job, or that their beliefs are interfering with their decisions, then make a complaint on the Helpdesk.

A pro-CT mod isn't going to get rid of the hostility on the forum. In fact, a pro-CT mod should have no effect at all. As I said above, what they believe should have no effect on their job.

okay then. how many anti-gambling mods on Poker.?

How many straight mods on the lesbian/gay forum?

How many alco's on the non drinkers group?

and the list goes on and on

okay then. how many anti-gambling mods on Poker.?

How many straight mods on the lesbian/gay forum?

How many alco's on the non drinkers group?

and the list goes on and on

There is a male mod in the Ladies Lounge (the second one there has been there now I believe), a female mod in Beer Guts & Receding Hair, and I personally mod the MMA forum despite it being well known that I have a very limited knowledge of the subject.

That list goes on and on too. :)

orestes wrote: »
    There is a male mod in the Ladies Lounge (the second one there has been there now I believe), a female mod in Beer Guts & Receding Hair, and I personally mod the MMA forum despite it being well known that I have a very limited knowledge of the subject.

I wasn't aware, thanks. However I'd have to assume that you have some interest in MMA and that any points you make aren't counter-points to the subject matter of the forum's title.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I wasn't aware, thanks. However I'd have to assume that you have some interest in MMA and that any points you make aren't counter-points to the subject matter of the forum's title.

I mod Giving Up Smoking and have pretty much no interest in the subject. Nobody close to me smokes any more and I never have. Mods don't have to have an interest in their area or be active in it to do the job. In fact it often helps the mod be impartial when moderating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I have to say, I feel 6th has been doing an excellent job. I don't see why people cannot realise that mysterious, who was just back from a month long ban, then broke the charter several times, argued with mods in-thread, was not respecting other posters, making the natives restless..... personally I would have banned him sooner than they did.

As a user of boards, 6th might side with the skeptics moreso than the CT'ers. I don't know. But as a mod, I have never found him to be anything other than fair.

Question is this, if there was to be a CT'er as a mod, how can you be sure that they would be fair?

humanji wrote: »
    Is there really a need? A mod is there to keep the peace. What they believe should have nothing to do with how they do this job. If you feel they're not doing a good job, or that their beliefs are interfering with their decisions, then make a complaint on the Helpdesk.

A pro-CT mod isn't going to get rid of the hostility on the forum. In fact, a pro-CT mod should have no effect at all. As I said above, what they believe should have no effect on their job.

Is total objectivity possible? I don't think so. The problem is not neccessarily always on a case-by-case basis.

It shouldn't even be called a CT forum IMO.

There are more skeptics than CT'ers. Who have no interest in discussing CT's or anything with each other for that matter. Except for the occassional backslap.

I'm guessing here but I assume this is not the case in other forums on boards.ie. Especially the ones that would tend to get a little more heated.

I watch the occasional UFC event, that's about the extent of my interest on the subject, and I very rarely post in the forum except when I am performing my duties as moderator there.

javaboy wrote: »
    I mod Giving Up Smoking and have pretty much no interest in the subject. Nobody close to me smokes any more and I never have. Mods don't have to have an interest in their area or be active in it to do the job. In fact it often helps the mod be impartial when moderating.

I'd agree with this and Bonkey to be fair lets the game flow so to speak.

However, surely it is preferential to hold an interest in the subject and in a give up smoking forum all are on the same side ultimately.

There are not posters there diametrically opposed to the subject matter ready willing and able to drag any thread down into tit-for-tat nonsense trying to get a response.

I watch the occasional UFC event, that's about the extent of my interest on the subject, and I very rarely post in the forum except when I am performing my duties as moderator there.

Fair enough and I am sure you do a good job. However, I am sure that all posters there are actually there to discuss or simply observe the discussion on MMA topics.

Again I am assuming but chances are that people there saying in as many words MMA is sh!t, can you prove it's not? Your a fool if you don't think so etc.. and if there were I can't see them lasting too long.

I'd have more respect for people and their preferences but I could go into the WWF forum and start with its all fake blah blah blah and see how long I last.

It's allowed in CT for reasons never explained.

Ok, only one way to solve this.

Gender reassignment treatment for Wibbs and Thaedydal, and I'm gonnna go get my ass whooped in a bjj gym.

Oh, and someone is gonna have to teach Beruthial how to surf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is total objectivity possible? I don't think so. The problem is not neccessarily always on a case-by-case basis.

It shouldn't even be called a CT forum IMO.

There are more skeptics than CT'ers. Who have no interest in discussing CT's or anything with each other for that matter. Except for the occassional backslap.

I'm guessing here but I assume this is not the case in other forums on boards.ie. Especially the ones that would tend to get a little more heated.
    Well, point out where the mods have let their opinions on the matter dictate their mod actions.

I have to say, I feel 6th has been doing an excellent job. I don't see why people cannot realise that mysterious, who was just back from a month long ban, then broke the charter several times, argued with mods in-thread, was not respecting other posters, making the natives restless..... personally I would have banned him sooner than they did.

As a user of boards, 6th might side with the skeptics moreso than the CT'ers. I don't know. But as a mod, I have never found him to be anything other than fair.

Question is this, if there was to be a CT'er as a mod, how can you be sure that they would be fair?

Its not about 6th or Mysterious. They have their own thing together. Maybe you could reread the charter and tell me where 6th has broken his own charter?

This is about looking into the possibility of adding a third mod to the team. I think in the interests of fairness.

And why wouldn't they (edit: pro CT Mod) be fair may I ask.

This is from a recent thread
    Seriously, this guy is your champion? Is this the best you have?

The man sounds like a raving loony...

This was the only text of a recent OP in a thread that still is open.

Clearly the OP see's himself as different from the would-be posters on a CT forum, yet it remained open. Swiftly followed by the expected smart-arse comments.

A pro-CT Mod would see the intended offence in the post. Close the thread as a troll thread no opprtunity for anyone to get offended, less hostility.

What is the problem with that?

Fair enough and I am sure you do a good job. However, I am sure that all posters there are actually there to discuss or simply observe the discussion on MMA topics.

Again I am assuming but chances are that people there saying in as many words MMA is sh!t, can you prove it's not? Your a fool if you don't think so etc.. and if there were I can't see them lasting too long.

I'd have more respect for people and their preferences but I could go into the WWF forum and start with its all fake blah blah blah and see how long I last.

It's allowed in CT for reasons never explained.

But we are there to discuss the possibility of CTs. If a CT'er presents a piece of evidence, and a skeptic has another piece of evidence which contradicts the CT'ers, would you rather we kept it to ourselves? There have been a few CTs posted which I have enjoyed reading and thinking about, but didn't post in because I don't know enough about the subject material. But some other threads, particularly about 9/11, I do post in because I used to believe there was a conspiracy. But after looking at more and more evidence, I now don't. So I choose to post that evidence in order to perhaps give the CT'er information they didn't know about, in order to discuss it.

Would you really rather a CT forum where only CT'ers posted? What would be the point?

You mention the WWE forum, and how if you posted saying wrestling is fake you'd be kicked out. That would be because you are deliberately antagonising the users of that forum. We are not trying to antagonise CT'ers, we are trying to have a discussion.

Its not about 6th or Mysterious. They have their own thing together. Maybe you could reread the charter and tell me where 6th has broken his own charter?

This is about looking into the possibility of adding a third mod to the team. I think in the interests of fairness.

Clearly the OP see's himself as different from the would-be posters on a CT forum, yet it remained open. Swiftly followed by the expected smart-arse comments.

A pro-CT Mod would see the intended offence in the post. Close the thread as a troll thread no opprtunity for anyone to get offended, less hostility.

This is a discussion site, people are going to disagree with other peoples opinions. Mods are there to facilitate discussion by keeping forums running smoothly, our personal opinions and thoughts on the subject matter is irrelevant, and if a mod were to be brought on purely because of their personal biases I believe they would inherently, based on the very criteria of their selection, be an unfit choice to moderate a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No more rasher sambos in the bar for you.

I'm not sure what you mean. I never said 6th broke the CT forum charter. Mysterious however, did.

But this is my point, you are saying we need a pro-CT mod. 6th wasn't chosen because he is anti-CT, he was chosen (presumably) because he is a good mod on the other forums he moderates. Choosing a mod because they are more likely to side with one group would be wrong. Choosing them because of their reputation as a good and fair moderator regardless of their personal beliefs is the only fair way.

Was this on the CT forum? Could you provide a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No more rasher sambos in the bar for you.

This is a discussion site, people are going to disagree with other peoples opinions. Mods are there to facilitate discussion by keeping forums running smoothly, our personal opinions and thoughts on the subject matter is irrelevant, and if a mod were to be brought on purely because of their personal biases I believe they would inherently, based on the very criteria of their selection, be an unfit choice to moderate a forum.

I am not advocating a mod being brought on because of their personal biases.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me or anyone else. It is the disrespectful manner which is all too common on the CT forum.
    What I am suggesting is that a mod who would tend see these veiled insults for what they are - people stretching the charter to its limits to put people down in their own back yard.

And have you reported such posts?

humanji wrote: »
    Well, point out where the mods have let their opinions on the matter dictate their mod actions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520293

Okay note here that in post 5 the OP is referred to as "stupid".

No action taken.

No idea what that other chap got banned for

Edit: I can only assume that the "stupid" remark slipped by unconsciously due the the moderators agreement with the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Was this on the CT forum? Could you provide a link?

I think he means the Alex Jones thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055552054

In which 6th posted this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60043582&postcount=5

Seems fair to me.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    And have you reported such posts?

I'd be reprorting every 2nd post in that case unfortunately.

And?

If it takes such a thing to highlight issue why aren't you?

• Advertisement

Yet you can only provide a link to one? Not trying to sound like a smart-arse or anything, but you're gonna have to back up your claims with a little bit more substantial evidence if your suggestion is gonna be taken seriously imo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement