Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck in the System

• 10-05-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that the forum has gone very quiet recently, mainly I think because nothing is really happening at the moment, and the lack of information is making me, for one, deflated about my prospects of starting the new career that I want so badly.
    Like alot of other people who post on here, it is now one year since I applied to join AGS. Other people have applied before I did, and it must be particularly heartbreaking to be seemingly wasting your life waiting for something that is still nowhere in sight.
    Granted, this situation could change at any stage. Maybe they will open the doors again in August. Maybe they wont.

Special mention for those who are waiting to apply. Who knows when they will get a chance. Not a nice situation to be in either.
    But now, I'm starting to wonder if I am ever going to get there. If I have wasted the last year of my life on a dream that is never going to be a reality. The waiting would not be so bad if I had some concrete information.

*cue blaming the government for all that is wrong with this process.

But not so, because before the recruitment moratorium we never got much concrete information from HR either.

I know that if I do finally get in that undoubtedly the waiting will have been completely worthwhile and I will forget about the almost torturous process to get there. And of course there is the school of thought that the process is part of the training, to teach (or perhaps test) your patience.

So in honour of it being one year on since the last round of applications, this thread is for those of us who are stuck in the system.

Vent, rant, shout, cry whatever. But at least we are in it together. :o

Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

Nice thread to start.

Still I wouldn't say it was a waste, you're going to get in regardless, it's just going to take that bit longer.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if people get called for:
    August
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Good Thread to see exactly how many of us are in limbo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

+1 for limbo.
    73%20Limbo%20Cop.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Blue Belle wrote: »
    I know that if I do finally get in that undoubtedly the waiting will have been completely worthwhile and I will forget about the almost torturous process to get there. And of course there is the school of thought that the process is part of the training, to teach (or perhaps test) your patience.

I am waiting to apply, but I think this is one of the most important posts I have seen in a long time. You will get there.. I will get there. Believe!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

yes we can, and all that..;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 caz123

Do we want it? yes we do !!! so we will get in .just got keep positive.:):).rumours on street 1,400 due to retire this year from sept onwards so they will seriously have to re-consider recuitment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

waiting to apply and praying :pac::D yes rumours out there that 1400 are going in sept so lets hope for a recuritment drive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

ill drink to that,but i wouldnt worry about not getting in its really just a matter of waiting which wouldnt be as long as we thought it might,for anyone waiing to apply i wouldnt put your life on hold for it.

happy anniversary btw:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pr43

shakin wrote: »
    ill drink to that,but i wouldnt worry about not getting in its really just a matter of waiting which wouldnt be as long as we thought it might,for anyone waiing to apply i wouldnt put your life on hold for it.

happy anniversary btw:D

+ one more for limbo.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Paudie223

+ another

• Advertisement

Paudie223 wrote: »
    + another

Hey Paudie,

What stage are you at?

Yo. Hows the form? I am from May Batch 1, I had my interview August 11th. Got a letter the following week saying i was successful. Hadnt heard anything for a few months so I rang HR in Jan and again in Feb. They said my checks were complete and my form was waiting to be approved, nothing since :( Very annoying not knowing where u stand, I cant plan to go travelling or anything! The whole system needs to be made more transparent. What about you I'm listening?

Paudie223 wrote: »
    Yo. Hows the form? I am from May Batch 1, I had my interview August 11th. Got a letter the following week saying i was successful. Hadnt heard anything for a few months so I rang HR in Jan and again in Feb. They said my checks were complete and my form was waiting to be approved, nothing since :( Very annoying not knowing where u stand, I cant plan to go travelling or anything! The whole system needs to be made more transparent. What about you I'm listening?

From May batch 1 also, finished everything back in October. It's been a long wait!!
    I know! Everything is put on hold, you can't plan anything. Finished college in 2 weeks, not sure what to do then, just hoping I hear something in June.

I applied in May 2008 and I was in the middle of sitting my final exams, i thought that after i passed the interview it would only be a couple of months. Im lucky i got a good job only a couple of months after finishing college but its not what i want to do. I wouldnt ind doing a spot or travelling before i go into the Gardai (thats if i pass everything else) but can't because i could be called while im away! Bummer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anydaynow

From what i heard there is a batch ready to be signed off on by the minister. The college have been notified for an intake in august providing the minister signs off on it. recruitment are hoping All will be medicaled and will do physicals. The go ahead for this might not happen till mid july but its expected to go through. Its a matter of when not if. As for the other board set up by some moron saying that this group will be scrapped on june 1st is utter nonsense to get people worried.

anydaynow wrote: »
    From what i heard there is a batch ready to be signed off on by the minister. The college have been notified for an intake in august providing the minister signs off on it. recruitment are hoping All will be medicaled and will do physicals. The go ahead for this might not happen till mid july but its expected to go through. Its a matter of when not if. As for the other board set up by some moron saying that this group will be scrapped on june 1st is utter nonsense to get people worried.

Finally another optimist ;)

Agreed that thread is very weird, especially because the person who set it up was on their first post, obviously a boards regular who decided to create a new account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Any chance of a clue as to where you heard this? ;)

I can only tell you what i heard. But i an not talking crap like some. Chins up people. It will happen. For the first time in a long time i'm optimistic and excited about this news. Ps don't believe what you read in papers. Its all speculation and not fact. Recruitment where told last september me the moratorium and have had 3 intakes since.

Hi Andy, do you mind me asking how you know this? Is it a reliable source? thanks ;)

As i said its not definate for august. Has to be signed off first but it is a reliable source. Put it this way. I was going to move to oz with my bro and am staying put now. Most optimistic i've been in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jmne08

I have been told much the same by a retired member who still keeps in touch, he told me that there will be at least another 100 going down this year.

As for the rumour that anyone stuck in the system will have to start all over again, this is rubbish, there was a similar rumour just before the may group went down, saying that the may intake was scrapped. I don't know how long we will be waiting, i am waiting on med and physical, but I would think it will be no longer a year, there are estimated to be 1400 retirements this year, roughly 10% of the force, this is massive, they are going to need new recruits, so why would they scrap people that are nearly there and that money has already been spent on, won't happen

your obviously very confident so Andy if you put off Oz. You do hear alot on this website. Wouldnt know what to believe. Has anyone else heard of an august intake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 den-joe

hey all, great thread, its great to hear some good news for once. am new to this but like to rest of ye here i have been waitin for the last year! so a big hello to all in limbo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bettyboo1

Well Anydaynow, its great 2 hear something positive, I hope u are right :)
    A year in the system now now & it gets frustrating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

Was talking a friend of mine, his mum works in the budgeting depatmeny for AGS, he was telling me that with no NEW RECRUITMENT drive till 2011 that they hope yo use all of those in the system to fill any vacncies over the coming years. the moratorium exists for new drives only. Hopefully this means good news for us still waitng. He, hiomself is hoping to apply in 2011 and has to wait but says things are very positive for the rest of us here. Fingers crossed people but its looking positive. :D:D:D

itsallgood wrote: »
    Was talking a friend of mine, his mum works in the budgeting depatmeny for AGS, he was telling me that with no NEW RECRUITMENT drive till 2011 that they hope yo use all of those in the system to fill any vacncies over the coming years. the moratorium exists for new drives only. Hopefully this means good news for us still waitng. He, hiomself is hoping to apply in 2011 and has to wait but says things are very positive for the rest of us here. Fingers crossed people but its looking positive. :D:D:D

A little bit 'hear say' but thanks itsallgood.
    Positive news makes a welcome change here :)

itsallgood wrote: »

Thats more like it..;)

Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

Hi Im in Limbo too. Its nice to know Im not the only one! Still waiting on medical and physical! Also nice to hear good rumours for a change instead of depressing ones! August would be great but I wont get my hopes up too high! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lolacherrycola!

Hi Guys,
    Iv been looking at theses forums for ages just registered today though! So many people waiting!:( Really liking the positive posts on this thread!!!! Keep it up!!:)

• Advertisement

Welcome aboard lolacherrycola! Unfortunately there are alot of us here stuck in limbo, but at least we have a place to share our frustrations and glimmers of hope :) Are you stuck in limbo too? Have you everything complete or waiting on medical etc?

Advertisement