Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texting on touchscreen?

• 10-05-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Lads, i've never used a touchscreen phone. Was just wondering how they are for texting?
    Is it a case of just getting used to them or what

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Everything is a case of "getting used to them" in my experience. I hated the XDA Exec + XDA Mini touch screens back when I used to have them and dislike the iPhone ones too.

What I'd suggest is finding a mate with a similiar phone or else popping into a phone shopping and trying it out before purchasing.

Some people love em, some hate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

I have an iPhone and as they say it's just a matter of getting used to it, pesonally I think its quicker than normal predictive texting!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i have the iphone.

it's a pain in the butt in that i have to look down whilst typing. with other non-touchscreen phones i could text whilst watching tv etc.

but that being said since my job involves using a QWERTY keyboard and i would describe myself as quite a good typer i find using a touchscreen 100 times better. some of my recipients make remarks at how fast i reply with long messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i have the tocco and it breaks my heart to text with it and i have it since christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I went from a Htc touch with a predicative text program installed to a normal n95. Lets just say i'm never going back to a touch screen or windows mobile phone again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I have an LG Renoir, you can text with a QWERTY or normal style on screen keypad, I can pretty easily text without looking at the screen when it's like a keypad. It does seem to be a personal thing though, but try and get used to it and see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres different types of touch screens. The 5800 uses a resistive touch panel, you need to press on it, The iPhone one is capacitive panel which you touch not press. Something like the Blackberry bold, while its a capacitive screenm aslo requires you to press the screen which all moves, its a mechanic switch.

The only one I get on with is the Apple one. I think I'm faster on it now than I was with buttons. But I think it needs two hands, whereas with a T9 and buttons you can get away with one hand. Some of the other touch screens like the Samsung Tocco I just can't use at all. Takes loads of presses to register a click. Couldn't use it at all. I wonder if some types of skin is better then others. The Nokia 5800 takes more effort once your used to the apple screen. But you'd have to try each one and see. Pick one up in phone shop and try and write a text message on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I got a tocco last july/august and i have never been able to use it for texting like my old phones..

I dont know if everyone will agree with me but heres my problems with texting on a touchscreen;
    • you cant "feel" what button your on or slide your finger across buttons to know where you are because then you have hit half the keys.. if that makes sense?
    • maybe its just me and i have fat fingers but its too easy to hit off other keys and make mistakes
    • all of this means you have to constantly watch the screen to avoid mistakes and i find it a very slow process
    However, this is on a numeric keypad so maybe a touchscreen qwerty keyboard is a lot easier.. but im going back to using physical buttons

But as was said, try a few out and see what you think.. everything will have its pros and cons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I find the Apple software auto corrects far better than any phone I've ever had. So maybe thats why I find it so usuable. That said I still think there are times when buttons are better. Music controls etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement