Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C. Ronaldo discussion thread.

• 10-05-2009 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭

I just saw yet another example of Ronaldo acting like a spoiled brat.

When Ferguson took him off he complained, snatched a training top from an assistant and flung it on the ground.
    Then he stormed over to his seat in a strop and proceeded to complain some more.

As excellent a player as he is I think that United would be better off without him.
    His attitude and arrogance can only have a negative effect on the dressing room and lead to upheaval from the other players.
    I know he's one of the best players in the world but he's not that far ahaed of everyone that he's irreplaceable

His dispicable attitude is made look all the worst when contrasted to the likes of Rooney and others.

I know that this is far from an isolated incident but it's the most explicit that I've seen.

Man U would probably be better off concentrating on keeping Tevez than humouring this prima donna.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've given permission for this as a Ronaldo 'go-to' thread as no doubt there will be the usual stories emerging as we approach silly season.

Please keep all posts, news articles, gifs etc in here nice and tidy.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The_Coon wrote: »
    Man U would probably be better off concentrating on keeping Tevez than humouring this prima donna.

lol. lol. lol. lol.

Some people just can't see this rationally. Fergie said it best, he was un happy about being taken off, blah. Who cares? I care about the goal he scored, or that he propelled us to the Cl final. If him being upset he gets subbed off is the price of that, I'll gradly play it.

Also the idea that its messing up the dressing room is such a joke. It clearly hasn't, there is no basis for this idea, just an assumption, which is shown to be untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think Fergie will be having a few private words with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Ronaldo-Corinthians_1956936.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'd say he's without a doubt joint best right winger who scores a heap of goals with Messi in the world.

I'd say both of them are undoubtedly the best in the world (deciding whose better is fairly tough.)

That means United have one of the world's best two players - why the fúck would we let him go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I'd say he's without a doubt joint best right winger who scores a heap of goals with Messi in the world.

I'd say both of them are undoubtedly the best in the world (deciding whose better is fairly tough.)

That means United have one of the world's best two players - why the fúck would we let him go?

^ this tbh! (spot on mate)

so he is really angry when he is taken off? GOOD! i dont want someone who wants to come off any chance he gets, he wants to contantly play and as a utd fan i like that in a player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Nobody can deny how great he is, it's his attitude that stinks.
    Not being happy about coming off is one thing but behaving like that
    and flinging the top on the ground is too much.

I find it hard to see how other United players wouldn't take issue with his behaviour, nobody likes a prima donna.
    Asides from that there are isssues of giving example to kids, etc, similar to the Drogba incident.
    Nobody wants to see kids flying into a rage when they get subbed off in matches.

Re Messi, hypothetically if United could sell Ronaldo and buy Messi.
    Would you find this acceptable?
    You would have a player of somewhat equal ability without having
    to put up with all the nonsense that comes with Ronaldo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Any gifs from today's tantrum yet?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Any gifs from today's tantrum yet?

For your viewing pleaseure.
    Cristiano-Ronaldo-unhappy_2292201.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

My 'Ronaldo needs a slap' thread was closed.
    Sorry if the title was viewed as inflammatory by anyone, I only wished to promote some discussion on the matter.
    Here's a more sensible attempt.

When Ferguson took him off he complained, snatched a training top from an assistant and flung it on the ground.
    Then he stormed over to his seat in a strop and proceeded to complain some more.

As excellent a player as he is I think that United would be better off without him.
    His attitude and arrogance can only have a negative effect on the dressing room and lead to upheaval from the other players.
    I know he's one of the best players in the world but he's not that far ahaed of everyone that he's irreplaceable

His dispicable attitude is made look all the worst when contrasted to the likes of Rooney and others.

I know that this is far from an isolated incident but it's the most explicit that I've seen.

Right more of this bollox.

He is obviously frustrated he is being subbed. Most players are. Him showing that does not make him a brat. He did no one any harm.

His attitude does NOT have any adverse effect on the dressing room. If it did someone in the club would have leaked something by now. He has been there since 2003. To emphasise even more that his attitude has no effect on the dressing room is that, if it did, Fergie would have given him the boot like he did with other players who had a bad effect on the dressing room. Keane, Ince, Becks, Sharpe etc all given the boot.

Fergie most importantly, and the team obviously see absolutely nothing wrong with this attitude.

The last part of your post is tripe. Ronaldo is both quick and clinical. Something Tevez isnt. He is a much more important player to the team and always will be. Ronaldo has.....18 goals in a "bad" season.

Please wise up. Your talking utter utter bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Ronaldo 68 goals now in nearly 2 full seasons.

I think us United fans can put up with a few tantrums, especially when its just epitomizing his desire to play all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,804 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The guys talent is a obvious.
    He is a CRITICAL player for united. Far more critical than any other player they've had in their history.
    It is NO coincidence that his "coming of age" as a player is corresponding with an EXTREMELY successful two seasons for United. Going for three in a row PL's, on the verge of retaining the CL trophy.....and all the other mini trophys that come with it.
    He is BY FAR the most creative player in the united squad. He scores and sets up goals. Who else do you see stepping up to the mark should he move on?
    Theres NO player in the world that could replace him.

Hes as tad on the ignorant/in your face side at times, but all players have their flaws. He give it his all on the pitch and loves playing football, of course he is not happy to come off. He does lack a small bit of maturity but so too do many PL players.
    Fergie will do EVERYTHING in his power to hold onto this guy as he will help bring success to the club any seasons he is there.
    ANY club in the land would LOVE him in their squad.

I personally think he was almost a Real player last summer however the chances of him moveing there have dropped significantly this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Ridiuclous tbf, he was disappointed to be subbed, big deal, good players want to play, its good to see imo.

Rooney was very angry at being subbed a couple of years ago in europe if I remember, punching the subs stand and throwing his boots down, I dont remember any sell Rooney outcrys though or Rooney is upsetting the team morale. Blown out of proportion because its Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Great pic, looks like a kid on christmas morning when santa brings him the wrong present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

So what? I've seen Micah Richards, Robbie Keane, Shane Long and Wayne Rooney react the exact same way in the past year or two.

My point? Players don't like getting substituted. Deal with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

ronaldo is lovely

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Waste of a thread, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

He is world class. Im not a united supporter however it obvious that anyone disrespecting him is simply suffering form cain and able syndrome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was delighted to see ronaldos reaction today,I'd be worried if he didn't care viva ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

As a United fan, I obviously love him for what he brings to my team. He is an exceptional, exceptional talent. However, this kind of behaviour is beginning to wear thin. He loves being in the spotlight so much. You can just tell he's playing up to it.

On the flip side - out of the list of the all-time great players to play the game, invariably they have this streak in them. For that reason, I can learn to tolerate his petulance. As irritating it is, he threw the toys out because he wanted to stay on the pitch and play for the club. Not because someone didn't pass to him etc. For this reason, I can continue to love him for the player he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

He looks like my son when I tell him he can't stay over at a friends house for the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I know of Ferguson in the past, he does not take that sort of primadonna bulls**t from any of his players.

He had Beckham and Keane out of there as soon as they got a bit big for their boots, nobody casts a shadow over Fergie....

Be interesting to see how he handles this

IMHO, he wants out of there and maybe this is his way of going about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Verge of European and Domestic Double Double?

You have more chance of convincing me Ronaldo causes cancer.

Jog on FFS. :rolleyes:
    to put up with all the nonsense that comes with Ronaldo

Messi threw a strop before Christmas because he was taken off by Guardiola in the Valencia game, even going as far as not training with his team the next day and instead spent the time in the locker room watching telly.

So by your high standards of how a footballer should behave, that rules out 2 of the best players in the world in your opinion, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

They are fully grown men I'm sure they can cope with it. I doubt there is anyone who wants him to leave. I can't think of anyone they would be able to buy who would replace him.

They are winning everything right now - they don't need to change anything or take a risk with the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Nobody can deny how great he is, it's his attitude that stinks.
    Not being happy about coming off is one thing but behaving like that
    and flinging the top on the ground is too much.

I find it hard to see how other United players wouldn't take issue with his behaviour, nobody likes a prima donna.
    Asides from that there are isssues of giving example to kids, etc, similar to the Drogba incident.
    Nobody wants to see kids flying into a rage when they get subbed off in matches.

to put up with all the nonsense that comes with Ronaldo.

Messi is amazing but he hasn't proven himself against English defenses yet - it would be a risk.

As for his attitude - nobody cares his football ability is the only thing that matters.

Can't believe there's a thread on this.

Who cares if he threw a strop when he was subbed? All top players hate coming off.

If anything it shows his desire to play.

If I was a united fan I'd actually be happy with his reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

He looks like my son when I tell him he can't stay over at a friends house for the weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From what I know of Ferguson in the past, he does not take that sort of primadonna bulls**t from any of his players.

He had Beckham and Keane out of there as soon as they got a bit big for their boots, nobody casts a shadow over Fergie....

Be interesting to see how he handles this

IMHO, he wants out of there and maybe this is his way of going about it

Man do you honstly believe that sh1t your shovelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ye might as well enjoy him now while ye can as he only has 4 games left for Utd before ola Bernabeu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

IMO Ronaldo was the best player in the world last season and is close this season.

I don't see evidence that he is having a negative impact on the squad - considering the season we are having, again! He may have caused some negative influence over this season but there hasn't been any clear evidence of this.

BUT As a United fan his behaviour today was embarrassing. He was acting like a total prima dona. United fans who say that they are happy he acted the way he did today disappoint me. I can understand that we all want the players to be hungry to play but this was different. We were 2-0 up and cruising and he acted like a spoilt brat. No excuse. I'm sure Fergie will have a harsh word with him.

Now I don't think that this is typical of his behaviour. I don't think that he dives too much - he gets fouled a shed load and he draws fouls in good areas. He goes down, gets the free kick, picks himself up and takes the free kick. He doesn't role around for 5mins like some do. I like that about him - he's a really driven competitive player.

But sometimes, like today or last summer, he acts like a spoilt brat and that p!sses me off no end. Cop yourself on Ronaldo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Warper wrote: »
    Ye might as well enjoy him now while ye can as he only has 4 games left for Utd before ola Bernabeu.

LOL

Is this thread a non-United supporter saying that we should sell our best player? If so, double LOL. I don't like him as a man but the guy sh*ts ice cream when he plays so I don't really give a cr*ap. If I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn't like Gerrard with all the diving, wanting to leave etc. but would that mean the team would be better without him in it? Hell no!

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't like him as a man but the guy sh*ts ice cream when he plays

Typical United fan - exaggerating Ronaldo's abilities. :pac:

Typical United fan - exaggerating Ronaldo's abilities. :pac:

Is that meant to be a joke or do I need to pull out the stats?

on second view looks to be a joke. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

His goalscoring abilities will outweigh his attitude up to a certain line I feel, and when and if he crosses that line Fergie will get rid, but until then I doubt he's going anywhere, and rightfully not.

LOL

Is this thread a non-United supporter saying that we should sell our best player? If so, double LOL. I don't like him as a man but the guy sh*ts ice cream when he plays so I don't really give a cr*ap. If I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn't like Gerrard with all the diving, wanting to leave etc. but would that mean the team would be better without him in it? Hell no!
    ?

?????? I never said ye should sell him but if he wants to go - what can ye do? Obviously he is Utd's best player as he practically won the League and CL last year on his own. If I was a Utd fan i would hope that they keep him - these little strops are worth 30 goals a season but Ronaldo is the type that loves acclaim and attention which a move to Madrid would provide in spades. I believe that he will go this summer - like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Being annoyed at coming off - acceptable.

Being a whiny little *****, and putting on a show when you know the cameras are on you - Unacceptable.

x0nshu.jpg

33as3v5.jpg

29d6z9u.jpg

TBF, that kitman/other member of staff should have put him in his place and made him pick that top. I think the last time I acted in such fashion was when I was 10, and my mam refused to get me a pair of predators.

?

?????? I never said ye should sell him but if he wants to go - what can ye do? Obviously he is Utd's best player as 1. he practically won the League and CL last year on his own. If I was a Utd fan i would hope that they keep him - these little strops are worth 30 goals a season but Ronaldo is the type that loves acclaim and attention which a move to Madrid would provide in spades. 2. I believe that he will go this summer - like it or not.

1. right so the best defence in the league and a pair of strikers who got over 30 goals and 20 odd assists were no help at all?

2. Well I don't believe he'd take going to a sub-standard team over a team that may have just retained the CL. His ego couldn't take it-like it or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Come on lads, make an effort with those gifs! I wanna see bees buzzing around and trophies being thrown! :D

1. right so the best defence in the league and a pair of strikers who got over 30 goals and 20 odd assists were no help at all?

2. Well I don't believe he'd take going to a sub-standard team over a team that may have just retained the CL. His ego couldn't take it-like it or not

1. What did Ronaldo get last - around 40 and how many assists? Those 20 assists you talk about - at least half were scored by Ronaldo. I am not having a go at Utd but without him last year - of course there is a question if ye would have won the League and CL as he was top-scorer in both.

2. You under-estimate the drawing power of the biggest club in the world - Real Madrid. Ronaldo would have grown up dreaming of one day playing for Madrid, he came close last year - he will jump at the chance this year. It will be interesting to hear what Utd fans have to say about Ronaldo next year when he lines out in all-white.

Oh and by the way it might be a bit premature talking about retaining the CL just yet. Actually there is another reason he will go - he will playing in the same League as the world's best club with the world's best player:D

Seeing the thing with the Kitman and the top he threw away, thats highly disrespectful. I wont try and defend that.

1. What did Ronaldo get last - around 40 and how many assists? Those 20 assists you talk about - at least half were scored by Ronaldo. I am not having a go at Utd but without him last year - of course there is a question if ye would have won the League and CL as he was top-scorer in both.

2. You under-estimate the drawing power of the biggest club in the world - Real Madrid. Ronaldo would have grown up dreaming of one day playing for Madrid, he came close last year - he will jump at the chance this year. It will be interesting to hear what Utd fans have to say about Ronaldo next year when he lines out in all-white.

Oh and by the way it might be a bit premature talking about retaining the CL just yet. Actually there is another reason he will go - he will playing in the same League as the world's best club with the world's best player:D
    eh, United are in the final, when are we supposed to talk about it? That's why I said he may have just retained it :rolleyes:

Also he already plays for the worlds best club and is also the world's best player so I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Madrid were interested in Jermaine Pennant earlier in the season, that's how desperate they are, not even Benitez would buy...oh wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Also he already plays for the worlds best club and is also the world's best player .

Dude, that's just your opinion, don't state it as fact.

As regards the OP, daft idea for a thread, but said it before and will one more time for the masses:

Cristiano is an astonishing talent. No question. But, in my opinion, is unfit to share the pitch with, for one, well, Ronaldo. Cristiano, is petulant, childish, cheating etc. Great player but no class. None. Not any. Talent, yes, class no.

He would be an asset at any club, but he is not an asset to football.

• Advertisement

nipplenuts wrote: »

As regards the OP, daft idea for a thread, but said it before and will one more time for the masses:

Cristiano is an astonishing talent. No question. But, in my opinion, is unfit to share the pitch with, for one, well, Ronaldo. Cristiano, is petulant, childish, cheating etc. Great player but no class. None. Not any. Talent, yes, class no.

Spot on.

Seeing the thing with the Kitman and the top he threw away, thats highly disrespectful. I wont try and defend that.

But you did defend that.
    Right more of this bollox.
    He is obviously frustrated he is being subbed. Most players are. Him showing that does not make him a brat. He did no one any harm.

Right before you told me.
    Please wise up. Your talking utter utter bollox.

I wasn't 'talking bollox', merely commentating on his poor attitude
    and prima donna antics.

Ronaldo is an unbelievably talented player and is an incredible asset to United.
    That doesn't excuse behaviour like that and it's far from the first time he's carried on like that.
    I don't buy into the consensus that Ronaldo is commited to the team.
    Ronaldo is commited to Ronaldo.
    Why else would he all but move to Real at the end of last season.

I don't believe everything that I read in the press but there was one article which I read last year that sounded credible.

It claimed that Ronaldo desperately wanted to move to Real but his agent was appalled and wanted him to remain at United.
    Apparantly a deal was worked out whereby Ronaldo would remain at United for the 08/09 season and
    Ferguson would save face after publicly stating several times that Ronaldo wouldn't be sold.
    In return for this compromise Ferguson would release Ronaldo at the end of the season if he still wanted a move to Real.
    Alot could have changed since then or perhaps this will still happen, only time will tell.

I for one would hate to see Ronaldo leaving the Premiership albeit for his dismal attitude and childish carrying on.
    It's just a pity he can't mature and conduct himself more like Giggs, etc.
    Perhaps he will with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

You under-estimate the drawing power of the biggest club in the world - Real Madrid

You over-estimate Madrid.

Around January I'd have been one of the first to say he was off to the Bernabeau (sp) next season, right now I can't think of one reason he would leave Manchester United to go there

nipplenuts wrote: »

Oh ffs who are the WORLD CHAMPIONS and who is the current WORLD PLAYER OF THE YEAR. Not stating opinions, just facts

As for having no class, only Kaka comes to mind when I think of a top player with class, care to name any more?

As for having no class, only Kaka comes to mind when I think of a top player with class, care to name any more?

Joey Barton?

But you did defend that.

Right before you told me.

I wasn't 'talking bollox', merely commentating on his poor attitude
    and prima donna antics.

Ronaldo is an unbelievably talented player and is an incredible asset to United.
    That doesn't excuse behaviour like that and it's far from the first time he's carried on like that.
    I don't buy into the consensus that Ronaldo is commited to the team.
    Ronaldo is commited to Ronaldo.
    Why else would he all but move to Real at the end of last season.

I don't believe everything that I read in the press but there was one article which I read last year that sounded credible.

It claimed that Ronaldo desperately wanted to move to Real but his agent was appalled and wanted him to remain at United.
    Apparantly a deal was worked out whereby Ronaldo would remain at United for the 08/09 season and
    Ferguson would save face after publicly stating several times that Ronaldo wouldn't be sold.
    In return for this compromise Ferguson would release Ronaldo at the end of the season if he still wanted a move to Real.
    Alot could have changed since then or perhaps this will still happen, only time will tell.

I for one would hate to see Ronaldo leaving the Premiership albeit for his dismal attitude and childish carrying on.
    It's just a pity he can't mature and conduct himself more like Giggs, etc.
    Perhaps he will with age.

I didnt see the incident with grabbing the tracky top. Only the shaking his head.

Im not going to defend the disrespect shown to the kitman. It was childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It doesn't bother me when players do this for any team. It just shows that they really want to play. If it was a case that United were chasing the game or it was still 0-0 then Ferguson would've kept him on. The fact that they were 2-0 up and extremely comfortable it seemed sensible enough.

Better to have him complaining about being taken off rather than have him complaining on the pitch for free kicks that were never awarded.

Frank Lampard has class, is a top player.

I didnt see the incident with grabbing the tracky top. Only the shaking his head.

Im not going to defend the disrespect shown to the kitman. It was childish.

Saying that. I still think that united should concentrate on tevez instead of ronaldo and that he causes upset in the dressing room is bollox.

I apologise for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Frank Lampard has class, is a top player.

Correction:
    "he's a top, top player"
    Has to be said in a Jamie Redknapp voice

• Advertisement
Advertisement