Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ill advised bannings, get 'em while they're hot

• 07-05-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭

Before I begin my post i would like to stress that I donk give a frank what any of you high-horse benders have to say about the ins and outs of this.........

Any cunning foxes been in the tunnels of late?

I remember last year there were a few unsealed entrances but they got fixed during the chrstmas break of 07/08.

Anyone know of any openings? Its been on my to do list for a while and my time in UCD is coming to a close rapidly.

Yours etc,

What an amazing co-incidence, we don't care what you think about anything either. Why don't you come back later. Or not. Meh either way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Raphael wrote: »
    What an amazing co-incidence, we don't care what you think about anything either. Why don't you come back later. Or not. Meh either way.

Did you ban him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Did you ban him?
    Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Why does everything on the UCD boards forum have to be a pc issue? It's a thread regarding access to the tunnels, it's one of those 'let's not take it seriously, it might be funny' type of threads. The opening post was with regards to people with posts regarding 'Accessing the tunnels is wrong and is in violation of section III, paragraph IV etc...', i.e. it's not meant to be take serious and people with serious posts regarding the negative aspects of access to the tunnels were not welcome (i.e. wet blanket posts). This is just an observation, but appearing to post anything ridiculous, or apathetic, or simply 'mad' appears to be disregarded on this forum. Seriously, who hasn't thought, 'wouldn't it be a laugh if we got 40 cans of bavaria, a few tunes and go for a wander around the tunnels?' Have a sense of humour folks, don't take it so seriously, and if you do have a post regarding the legality, consequences etc... of tunnel access, then keep them to yourself, the OP just wanted to hear positive, possibly wishful thinking posts!;)

Yes

Bit heavy handed. I think he has a point. A lot of the posters in here like to present themeselves (and Im not saying falsely) as rule abiding, perfect student. Its ridiculous really.

Just read el Siglo's post he pretty much has it spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Bit heavy handed. I think he has a point. A lot of the posters in here like to present themeselves (and Im not saying falsely) as rule abiding, perfect student. Its ridiculous really.

But what was the point in making the point other than to add a sense of trouble to a perfectly valid thread. Insulting one poster in a thread isnt tolerated why should a poster who wishes to discuss a topic by insulting all of the users of the forum from the get go be treated any differently.

I also dont think its about presenting oneself as a rule abiding, perfect student. Its more about people on this forum actually being tolerant mature people who respect college propety and their fellow students right to study. Perhaps the soultion to this is a subforum "people who dont really want an education because they hit the age of 18 and are rebels who think its cool to flood apartments and have the money to fit the five figure repair bill in some fantasy world where they watch too much Friends & Skins on TV and think thats life ......... forum"

:) Lighten Up thereisalwaysone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Raphael is an embarrassment & one truly bad moderator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Grimes wrote: »
    But what was the point in making the point other than to add a sense of trouble to a perfectly valid thread. Insulting one poster in a thread isnt tolerated why should a poster who wishes to discuss a topic by insulting all of the users of the forum from the get go be treated any differently.

I also dont think its about presenting oneself as a rule abiding, perfect student. Its more about people on this forum actually being tolerant mature people who respect college propety and their fellow students right to study. Perhaps the soultion to this is a subforum "people who dont really want an education because they hit the age of 18 and are rebels who think its cool to flood apartments and have the money to fit the five figure repair bill in some fantasy world where they watch too much Friends & Skins on TV and think thats life ......... forum"

So how's the weather up on that high horse?;) Listen, I agree damage to property etc... is terrible and I refer back to the thread regarding the roebuck pool incident. However, there's nothing wrong or illicit about what the OP was discussing, it's a bit of fun for God's sake! Granted there are fools whom take this to another level, but the more you pride yourself on the esoteric, 'ivory tower' aspects of the college, the more inclined you are to distance yourself from the real world, and in a sense real problems. In the same light, I can say the same thing about fools whom flood their apartment, essentially 'all work and no play and all play and no work' applies to this. People, at the back of it do stupid things, students personify this, it's a simple fact going back to the foundation of Cambridge University, it's part of growing up whether you like it or not! And not ever student whom wants to partake in such activities should be described by starting a forum:
    "people who dont really want an education because they hit the age of 18 and are rebels who think its cool to flood apartments and have the money to fit the five figure repair bill in some fantasy world where they watch too much Friends & Skins on TV and think thats life ......... forum"

It doesn't have to be a dicothomy, you can go out and get gee eyed but once you do your work etc... then there shouldn't be any problem.

However, I do feel that there is an air arrogance etc... exhibited in the UCD forum, there's no real fun in it all, people just use this forum as an excuse to exhibit pseudo-intellectualism and personify their role as the 'intelligentsia'. Folks, get off your high horses, accept the fact that people like to partake in what might be called 'ill-advised' activities as well as discuss academic related issues. This forum is sounding more like the university every day, chillax! If you don't like the thread, then don't read it, there's plenty of other things you can do on the forum. And at the end of the day, we're all going to end up on the dole or emigrating, so does it really matter if someone wants to have a gander around the tunnels?

Grimes wrote: »

Maybe because he knows what to expect from some users? He knows that some people are going to look down their noses at these kinds of posts "the tunnels? grow up :rolleyes:" and it is what happens.

I dont condone any sort of destruction of college property but going into the tunnels is completely different, if anything all you are doing is being inquisitive. Its no different to going for a walk through a farmers field in the country.

Also, I dont for one second believe and I dont think you do either that wanting to have a bit of craic means not wanting an education. There is no need for a subforum.

Banning him was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Em not sure but slagging mods in the open forum is probably not the wisest course of action...

Farmers fields are more interesting, there's sunshine and grass and stuff... but if you really must, there should be a thread here somewhere on boards with the tunnels mapped onto an attachment, it had the old entrances shown too.

Woah, this blew up. In retrospect, and with more consideration, banning him was excessive. I apologise, I'm having exams from hell at the moment, and haven't been able to read everything that gets posted like I normally do, so I'm relying more on reports - that post had been reported, and I came in and saw someone with bugger all posts insulting the general populace, and just banned him, something I'll normally only jump to with brand new posts and people who should know better by now.

I've lifted the ban, apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you bastardable.
    elgriff wrote: »
    Raphael is an embarrassment & one truly bad moderator.

elgriff banned for personal abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

elgriff banned for personal abuse.

That's not really personal abuse though for critiquing your moderating skills in an area you've admitted you're wrong though.

Maybe an infraction at worse but certainly not an out and out ban. Exams are tough for everyone, they're not the end of the world though so chill. They'll be over soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

Man, what's the world coming too when a mod claims to have banned someone for an absolutely ridiculous reason, and people's first response is to assume they're serious. elgriff was never banned.

Oh, and for future reference, the correct palce to discuss moderating decisions is Help Desk, not in the forum in question, and certainly not in the thread.

Man, what's the world coming too when a mod claims to have banned someone for an absolutely ridiculous reason, and people's first response is to assume they're serious.

Wait. Wut?

Glad that you've seen the error of your ways though. Thats commendable. I believe he will get himself banned somehow tbh, but in this instance it prob wasnt fair.

I edited that post to clarify that I was referring to elgriffs "banning" on the back of my apology. And with that, thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement