Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

• 10-05-2009 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Don't know about you guys but i think his time has come to an end.

The football Arsenal are playing is complete rubbish, this team that he has is not going to win anything for the foreseeable future.Just watching Sky here and look at the fantastic stadium, loyal supporters and the dearest seats to any soccer domestic fixture worldwide.

If fabregas has half a brain he will be out of there this summer. Last trophy in 2005 is shocking for a team which considers itself one of the best in Europe. To me they are a average mid-table team going nowhere fast, under this French misfit.

Arsene Wenger should be sacked 151 votes

Yay
    0%
    Nay
    100%
    Ping Chow Chimike65beer enigmaRaskolnikovWashoutzAbboKoldweemcdilluminL5Ronan Raver77Robxxx7bassyBrian017PlayboyKeyzerBeekayDave147deisedevilRoyalMarine 151 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,390 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

you are wrong imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Dont be silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If he can keep his players then no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The football Arsenal are playing is complete rubbish, this team that he has is not going to win anything for the foreseeable future.Just watching Sky here and look at the fantastic stadium, loyal supporters and the dearest seats to any soccer domestic fixture worldwide.

If fabregas has half a brain he will be out of there this summer. Last trophy in 2005 is shocking for a team which considers itself one of the best in Europe. To me they are a average mid-table team going nowhere fast, under this French misfit.
    In all fairness, the record states that they are higher than "everage mid table".
    I dont really know what is going on behind the scenes at the club but money is a problem. Flamini was a huge loss, as was Hleb, not being able to retain big players is a major problem.
    Arshavin looks like a great buy but thats about all he has been able to buy that have turned out decent YET. The defensive spine of the team needs review and established players brought in.
    I do think Usmananov(SP) will put a significant amount of cash into the club after he takes control in the coming months. Whether Wenger makes good use of that money or not is to be seen.

I dont think firing Wenger would achive ANYTHING as yer chances of getting someone better in, who would be unsure of funds etc, would be slim.
    There are signs that this squad arent that far of being a quality team, injury has hit them hard this season as well, it has to be remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Needs to improve his squad with a few big buys...That 4th champions league spot is gonna be under threat next year..Everton,Tottenham and (maybe even Man City) the like will be having a real go at it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

kippy wrote: »
    I do think Usmananov(SP) will put a significant amount of cash into the club after he takes control in the coming months. Whether Wenger makes good use of that money or not is to be seen.

seeing as Fitzmann and Kroenke own 44% between them that wont be happening any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Arsenal would drop down the league table if another man was in charge using the same money Arsene has used. He is the only reason they have a chance at challenging each year despite spending less then even lower half teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

Froms Arsenal's point of view NO
    From Wenger's : He can do better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

To me they are a average mid-table team going nowhere fast, under this French misfit.
    Ah here, cop yourself on. Wenger is a top class coach, widely lauded by those in the know. His philosophy may be a little rigid and as seasons go by trophyless it's being exposed even more. If he abandons his thrifty philosophy and goes in to the market for three experienced players to complement the young talent that he has then he will have something great on his hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,625 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Question should be will Wenger stay?

He is 60 this year, does he have it in him to rebuild again and fight on?

Hopefully for the league he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay
    Kippy i see where your coming from, but they are nowhere close to Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea. The money is a massive factor but surely there must be something in the coffers for him to spend. And the players you mention that he has lost was a massive blow but the exodus will continue because a footballers career is short and they want to win trophys? Which Arsenal are failing to do big time.

Adebayor and Bentner on the bench against a big physical Chelsea defence does not make sense to me. Walcott is starting to lose his way, wouldn't even track Ashley Cole back today.

I think Wenger has done brilliant with development of younger talent but thats no gonna win you trophys either, 10 years ago when fergie done it maybe, but not today fans demand instant success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Nay
    No, but people need to realise that Arsenal don't have the financial resources to compete with the likes of Manchester United, Barcelona, Chelsea, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Reactionary much?

Critically, the Arsenal board would seem to disagree with you there.
    The football Arsenal are playing is complete rubbish, this team that he has is not going to win anything for the foreseeable future.

Did you even watch the game today? If Arsenal had anybody who could finish they'd have been 2-0 up at the very least after 20 minutes. When on form they play scintillating football and thats down to one thing and one thing only; Arsene Wengers propensity, perhaps stubbornly sometimes, for making the quality of football played of paramount importance. I will concede that without some astute additions of a defensive nature especially, you are right; that team as it is will struggle to win anything.

Just watching Sky here and look at the fantastic stadium, loyal supporters and the dearest seats to any soccer domestic fixture worldwide.

To be honest loyal supporters wouldn't have been leaving after 50 minutes last Tuesday. You stick with your team no matter what, in the **** or in the good times. If you're a Man City supporter you'll have witnessed them play in the old 2nd division (Now the Fizzy League 1) not so long ago to now where they're on the cusp of another European campaign and with serious financial backing. Exciting times. Some Arsenal fans, at least in my view are very laissez faire. The Emirates is pretty bland too, the atmosphere has been lacking imo over the last 2 years, not saying the Stadium isn't fantastic, it is, but the atmosphere struggles when the team do. By the way, Spurs have the dearest seats to any domestic fixture afaik.

If Fabregas has half a brain he'll get stuck in and try and give his all to the team and manager that gave him his big chance. Thankfully, the lad has the cop on to acknowledge this and while I accept he will eventually end up in Spain, he's not going anywhere for a while yet.

This 'French Misfit' is also part of a select group of four managers who have won the Premiership - Ferguson, Mourinho and Dalglish. Granted he's been desperately unlucky in the one competition he craves, the Champions League I have no doubt in my mind that but for Arsene Wenger, Arsenal would currently be scrapping it amongst Aston Villa, Everton and Fulham for 4th with the greatest respect to those teams.

Basically, Arsenal wouldn't be the club they are without Arsene Wenger. They would be as you said a "average mid table team going nowhere fast". The team he has is probably 4 signings from being capable of challenging for trophies on all fronts. I think he needs to realise the youth experiment isn't the solution and that a blend of youth and experience is needed. I do think he's coming around to this however after his comments following the Champions League Semi-Final. The summer will tell a lot to be fair but I'm not willing to write a great manager like Wenger off yet.

Soby wrote: »
    Needs to improve his squad with a few big buys...That 4th champions league spot is gonna be under threat next year..Everton,Tottenham and (maybe even Man City) the like will be having a real go at it

I actually think you guys are in the firing line too next year, theres going to be a lot of upheaval in the squad during the summer by the looks of things and if they don't bed down together well at the start of next season it could be interesting.

Nay
    Aidric wrote: »
    Ah here, cop yourself on. Wenger is a top class coach, widely lauded by those in the know. His philosophy may be a little rigid and as seasons go by trophyless it's being exposed even more. If he abandons his thrifty philosophy and goes in to the market for three experienced players to complement the young talent that he has then he will have something great on his hands.

Aidric i don't buy into this rubbish of not spending money, you want top quality players you have to pay for them.Why didn't they give Flamini the wages he wanted, he was a top player and was let walk out the door on a Bosman, if thats top class management well i don't know??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Aidric i don't buy into this rubbish of not spending money,

We have spent money.

Are you just rehashing the debate on RTE after last weeks champions league game?

Nay
    Cson i did watch the game today and yes they could have been 2 up, but they weren't they got thumped 4-1 at home man and Chelsea weren't exactly at the races today either. I'm not writing Wenger of but i just can't see him bringing the club on any further than he has.

And as for the supporters that left after 50minutes yes they were wrong but when you pay big money to watch that crap and win nothing since 2005 it must get frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Are you just rehashing the debate on RTE after last weeks champions league game?

so what if he is? who have you managed?

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cson i did watch the game today and yes they could have been 2 up, but they weren't they got thumped 4-1 at home man and Chelsea weren't exactly at the races today either. I'm not writing Wenger of but i just can't see him bringing the club on any further than he has.

And as for the supporters that left after 50minutes yes they were wrong but when you pay big money to watch that crap and win nothing since 2005 it must get frustrating.

This is the problem some people don't seem to realise. Yeah I'm struggling to see how Arsenal are gonna get anywhere near the title next season based on current evidence, but let Wenger go and the problem gets a whole lot worse.

Stop thinking of why Arsenal aren't challenging for the title anymore (serious lack of money seems to be the main problem), and start thinking how much worse it would be with somebody else in charge.

Wenger doesn't negotiate contracts with players, stop blaming him for Flamini being let go (somebody fúcked up royally there though, not the first time a decent player was let go on a free over wages).

Aidric i don't buy into this rubbish of not spending money, you want top quality players you have to pay for them.Why didn't they give Flamini the wages he wanted, he was a top player and was let walk out the door on a Bosman, if thats top class management well i don't know??

Our lesson today children;

1. Wenger does not equal the board.

2. The board decide wages policy

3. The board control money for wages and transfers.

4. The primary goal of any business is to make a profit.

Hence we see that by adding 2+3+4 we can categorically see where the control of Arsenals money rests with.

Nay

Aidric no i'm not sorry if it sounds like that, but i think its fact, you want top players you have to pay for them and if you want to keep your top players you must pay them the same rate as the other clubs are paying their top players.

As i said in my last post i can't see Wenger taking this team any further than he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

lol, no...

I'm not writing Wenger of but i just can't see him bringing the club on any further than he has.

Those two statements would seem to be extremely contradictory to each other tbh.

Edit: Especially when read in light of this;

Your team is your team frustration or delerium.

Aidric no i'm not sorry if it sounds like that, but i think its fact, you want top players you have to pay for them and if you want to keep your top players you must pay them the same rate as the other clubs are paying their top players.

And can other clubs really afford the money they are spending on transfers, have you seen the current financial state of clubs like Chelsea, man utd and liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The problem I have with people coming out with these kind of reactions is that they assume that Wenger leaving + New manager = Instant success.

No one even considers for a minute who that new manager could possibly be that will create a whole new winning team. Especially given the limited resources available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

no he shouldn't be sacked.not after what he's done for the club.

he has said he will buy a bit more experience for next season.something he admits the club needs.
    today's match was a team with nothing really to play for. so there is no point in really reading much into it.

some one posted a list of injuries suffered by the squad in the arsenal thread i'll dig it out. its insane how many injuries we've struggled with.not an excuse but an explanation though. we should have bought another player in summer/winter.

im still a 'in wenger we trust' fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I would welcome Arsenal getting rid of Wenger, as would fans of most other clubs i'd say.

Wenger will make a few shrewd signings in the summer that i have no doubt and everything will be ok again. Arsenal can't expect success every season unless they spend the kind of money Utd & Chelsea have done but they are always there or thereabouts and are due a shot at the title again soon enough.

A few reinforcements to complement Arshavin, keep Fabregas, get rid of Adebayor and they'll be looking unreal next season.

• Advertisement

To be honest the injuries thing is getting ridiculous at this stage. Every season we lose upwards of 5 first teamers to long-ish term injuries. Something is obviously going amiss either through physio's or player conditioning. That has to change.

Nay
    playa3 wrote: »
    The problem I have with people coming out with these kind of reactions is that they assume that Wenger leaving + New manager = Instant success.

No one even considers for a minute who that new manager could possibly be that will create a whole new winning team. Especially given the limited resources available.

Playa this is not a reaction to the last couple of games or months, i'm looking at the last season or 3, Arsenal have looked very very average this season. He has some quality players there and he is failing to get the best out of them.

Basically Arsenal need a top class manager who is capable of building a title winning squad with a very small budget.

Ask anybody in the world who the best person for that job would be and they'll all give you the same answer - Arsene Wenger.

Nay
    Basically Arsenal need a top class manager who is capable of building a title winning squad with a very small budget.

Ask anybody in the world who the best person for that job would be and they'll all give you the same answer - Arsene Wenger.

And he has failed miserably.

Massive massive lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As i said in my last post i can't see Wenger taking this team any further than he has.

what manager do you think would be able to turn the current Arsenal squad into title challengers? One's the realistically would go to arsenal in the summer if they did sack Wenger like you are suggesting.

As much better question would be: Is it time for Arsene Wenger to leave and find a club who are willing to match his ambition? I think he should unless Arsenal give him £30m+ this summer. Otherwise I'd love to see him at Real Madrid.

• Advertisement

Then so has Rafa, except he has spent big.Is it time he left, afterall Liverpool have not won a trophy since 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Then so has Rafa, except he has spent big.Is it time he left, afterall Liverpool have not won a trophy since 2006.
    Tottenham won a trophy only last year
    They must then be third best in the league :O

2007 ;)

Nay
    cson wrote: »
    To be honest the injuries thing is getting ridiculous at this stage. Every season we lose upwards of 5 first teamers to long-ish term injuries. Something is obviously going amiss either through physio's or player conditioning. That has to change.

I agree with you cson, you have had some unbelivable bad luck, but this is where your squad needs depth and quality e.g Man u, Liverpool and Chelsea. The amount of games that is played a season you need a strong squad, and you need players that can fill in for you and not be a liability. Gibbs looks a fantastic player for the future but at the moment the guy is a nervous wreck.

This instant success nonsense spouted by some 'fans', fuelled by the red tops, is a blight on the game.

• Advertisement

2007 ;)

:p

I agree with you cson, you have had some unbelivable bad luck, but this is where your squad needs depth and quality e.g Man u, Liverpool and Chelsea. The amount of games that is played a season you need a strong squad, and you need players that can fill in for you and not be a liability. Gibbs looks a fantastic player for the future but at the moment the guy is a nervous wreck.

I'm seriously wondering did you watch the game today? Kieren Gibbs had a decent match, Silvestre is the liability imo.

Nay
    what manager do you think would be able to turn the current Arsenal squad into title challengers? One's the realistically would go to arsenal in the summer if they did sack Wenger like you are suggesting.

As much better question would be: Is it time for Arsene Wenger to leave and find a club who are willing to match his ambition? I think he should unless Arsenal give him £30m+ this summer. Otherwise I'd love to see him at Real Madrid.

Chucky super post, i don't think he would be sacked but the ambition is not there you are dead right.

As for replacement, i think Mourinho would be back in the Premier League at the drop of a hat if a top job was available.

Chucky super post, i don't think he would be sacked but the ambition is not there you are dead right.

So now it's the boards fault for not having ambition, and nothing to do with Wenger refusing to buy experienced players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Playa this is not a reaction to the last couple of games or months, i'm looking at the last season or 3, Arsenal have looked very very average this season. He has some quality players there and he is failing to get the best out of them.

I was gonna go into a more detailed response but lets just say i agree completely that the team has been poor this season... who do you get in to replace Wenger?

Wenger has shown even in the past few seasons that when he does feel the need to sign players, he generally gets quality. Arshavin, Sagna, Eduardo, and Nasri have all been very shrewd purchases I'm sure you'd agree?

What's is clear I think is that the defence needs serious work in the summer, and I think Wenger will now be aware of this now more then ever. Added to this I think Gazidis will improve things in regard to dealing with transfers and wages this summer, making things a bit easier for Wenger.

Nay
    I'm seriously wondering did you watch the game today? Kieren Gibbs had a decent match, Silvestre is the liability imo.

I did see the game and gibbs was exposed more than once, and had a nightmare against Man Utd. Silvestre is a spent force thats why Man Utd offloaded him, if you wanna challenge for Premier League titles and European cups, has beens is not the way to go.

As for replacement, i think Mourinho would be back in the Premier League at the drop of a hat if a top job was available.

And he would do a better job with the financially astute way the club is run?

Nay
    And he would do a better job with the financially astute way the club is run?

Who knows?? Maybe he will maybe he won't.

My point here is the club isn't progressing anymore under Wenger its same ****e different day.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭steod

No getting rid of Wenger would be madness.

I could not see Mourinho swapping Inter for Arsenal. Managing a team with little money and a squad that needs improving is not an attractive prospect.

Even if Arsenal go on a 'spending spree' this summer, this net spend will amount to £25-30m maxmium. The same money United, Chelsea or Man City would spend on one player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement