Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thanks for that.:p

You line 'em up, I knock 'em down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I have more respect for Arsenal fans than I do for the likes of you.

As for the other forum why don't you concentrate on how you're making a tit of yourself and leave others to worry about how they are getting on on boards?

Finally, I've done more for spurs fans on this forum than you ever will, so go fcuk yourself.
    good lad

lulz:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bout time BERBA got put in his box tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

#15 wrote: »
    Dunno, the liverpool superthread might be a good one too. A few lads can't make up their minds on woy.
    given the way our season has gone, you can hardly blame us.

p.s. Arsene is a legend of a manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Nay
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    given the way our season has gone, you can hardly blame us.

p.s. Arsene is a legend of a manager.
    Very true, ye start off nearly beating Arsenal, play shít in a few matches, nearly rob a draw from United, play dodgy for a few matches, then pick up some confidence and beat Chelsea.

Very odd start to the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

wonder what Martin O' Neill is up to these days, he could get plenty more from this team that what Wenger is getting

implied_facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bout time BERBA got put in his box tbh.

You've not been pulling up trees either...

Nay
    You've not been pulling up trees either...
    Calm down oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is this (stupid) thread not about Wenger?

no he should not go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

it does read like a thread thats ran its course.

keep the arsene.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

71445321.jpg

Thats a line in the sand,no more abuse in this thread or its a instant ban.Only chat about Mr Wendger for here on in.

I am going to go through this thread now and may take further action.

Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

No. But if I was an arsenal fan I'd be frustrated that Wenger doesn't take more calculated risks in the transfer market.
    They always have that look of a team which with a couple of quality experienced additions could become an amazing team.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Can this thread not just be locked? I'm sick of it's idiotic appearance every time Arsenal lose a match!!

We are not hear to stifle debate,LFC fans had to put up with the same on the Rafa thread.
    DH2K9 wrote: »
    Pure and simple the greatest manager of all time.

Surely you mean the best Arsenal manager of all time and not just the best...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Sack Wenger, sell Cesc, hire Gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dub13 wrote: »
    We are not hear to stifle debate,LFC fans had to put up with the same on the Rafa thread.

In fairness though, there's debate and then there's one or two posters against the rest of the forum. The Rafa thread doesn't even compare in that sense as there were a large number (I think it was a majority) of posters that felt that it was time for Benitez to go. Keep the thread open by all means, but it's an absolute farce, not a debate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Don't know what to think to be honest of Wenger tbh. He will stay, no matter what. So its a pointless debate.

L'prof wrote: »
    In fairness though, there's debate and then there's one or two posters against the rest of the forum. The Rafa thread doesn't even compare in that sense as there were a large number (I think it was a majority) of posters that felt that it was time for Benitez to go. Keep the thread open by all means, but it's an absolute farce, not a debate!

We will keep in under review,at the moment I am trying to control it if that does not work it will be closed.I just don't like letting one of two posters ruin a thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

SuperEagle wrote: »
    This thread is embarrassing
    The opposite actually. Every time this thread comes up I take a look, almost everyone disagrees with the OP and anyone that thinks that wenger should be sacked us made look a fool. This thread restores my faith in the soccer forum

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Anyone who thinks wenger should be sacked sums up what is wrong with football these days

Hey Mods, can we not just change the title instead? :)

'COs he aint going nowhere.

• Advertisement

Nay
    Papa Smut wrote: »
    Hey Mods, can we not just change the title instead? :)

'COs he aint going nowhere.

The title doesn't say he is? :confused:

Ah yeah, but it deserves to have some fun pointed at it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Nay
    I think Arsenal are a very unique team. Great to watch when they get their game going, just great pass after great pass and then a goal from it. Attractive football that Wenger has created. Couldnt imagine Arsenal without Arsènel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay
    Well just wondering have any of you who voted no he should stay on changed your mind.

Out of 3 competitions in 2 weeks and season falling apart. Barcelona were fantastic to watch and when they play the way they did, its hard to see how anyone would beat them. Very unlucky to have RVP sent off but live goes on. An injury hit Man Utd team made short work of the Gunners yesterday too, Van de Sar played out of his skin, but thats what he is paid to do.

With Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd not firing on all cylinders this year it really was Arsene Wengers year for silverware, but he seems to have blown it, unless somehow they win the league which i don't think they will do, it really is time for some fresh faces around the Emirates. Also think Cesc will depart this summer and going to have a fight on their hands to keep Jack at the club.

Top World class players want to win trophys, they want the best and want to be the best, nobody ever remembers the team that nearly won it. I think if they fail to win the league Wenger must go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any Arsenal fan who wants rid of Wenger needs their head looking at.

You never know what you've got 'till it's gone. Keep that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nay
    rinse, repeat for the foreseeable future unless Wenger finally stops fannying about
    and addresses the flaws in his sides. Buy a goalkeeper and few defenders and a midfield enforcer - might win something.

Pretty football is just pretty football, its not winning anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The manager doesn't need to be changed, however his philosophy on spending money does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mike65 wrote: »
    rinse, repeat for the foreseeable future unless Wenger finally stops fannying about
    and addresses the flaws in his sides. Buy a goalkeeper and few defenders and a midfield enforcer - might win something.

Pretty football is just pretty football, its not winning anything.

1st choice midfielder out all year, Djourou missed a load at the start of the year. He signed 2 central defenders, kos has been excellent next to Djourou while Squillachi does look like a dud. With Djourou out for the season we're going to be missing our two main central defenders, not sure how many more he should buy. Also we're missing our 1st and 2nd choice keepers.

All I'd like to see Wenger do is get rid of van Persie and Fabregas and build again. Van Persie can't be relied on to play more than half the matches in a season and Fab will be going soon enough so it's time to look ahead. Hopefully Chamakh can get back on form, almost unfair how well he did to just get muscled out as soon as RVP was fir again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

amacachi wrote: »
    1st choice midfielder out all year, Djourou missed a load at the start of the year. He signed 2 central defenders, kos has been excellent next to Djourou while Squillachi does look like a dud. With Djourou out for the season we're going to be missing our two main central defenders, not sure how many more he should buy. Also we're missing our 1st and 2nd choice keepers.

All I'd like to see Wenger do is get rid of van Persie and Fabregas and build again. Van Persie can't be relied on to play more than half the matches in a season and Fab will be going soon enough so it's time to look ahead. Hopefully Chamakh can get back on form, almost unfair how well he did to just get muscled out as soon as RVP was fir again.

If ye did get rid of Fab ye should give his place in the middle to Nasri. He's wasted out on the wing. Make him the main main in midfield and he could be really phenomenal IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

flahavaj wrote: »
    If ye did get rid of Fab ye should give his place in the middle to Nasri. He's wasted out on the wing. Make him the main main in midfield and he could be really phenomenal IMO.

Depends how Ramsey gets back up to speed as well. Though I agree he's wasted on the wing, at least that's what I'm assuming his dip in form is down do since Fab came back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

easiest job in football that guy has, hes obviously a very good manager but so overrated. he gives youth players a chance and plays passing football which to the masses seems to make him like a god. i dunno what arsenals finances are like so dunno if anyone could do better, but i doubt they'd do much worse tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Well just wondering have any of you who voted no he should stay on changed your mind.

Out of 3 competitions in 2 weeks and season falling apart. Barcelona were fantastic to watch and when they play the way they did, its hard to see how anyone would beat them. Very unlucky to have RVP sent off but live goes on. An injury hit Man Utd team made short work of the Gunners yesterday too, Van de Sar played out of his skin, but thats what he is paid to do.

With Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd not firing on all cylinders this year it really was Arsene Wengers year for silverware, but he seems to have blown it, unless somehow they win the league which i don't think they will do, it really is time for some fresh faces around the Emirates. Also think Cesc will depart this summer and going to have a fight on their hands to keep Jack at the club.

Top World class players want to win trophys, they want the best and want to be the best, nobody ever remembers the team that nearly won it. I think if they fail to win the league Wenger must go.

You truly, truly are pathetic. It was only a matter of time before you bumped this sh!thole of a thread.

Jog on, you contribute nothing to this forum!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Arsenal find it very hard to function without Fabregas and Van Persie. Unluckily for Wenger they are both crocked and they will both be extremely injury prone for the rest of their careers. It wont magically change. Wenger needs to realise that he cant rely on these two and either replace them or bring in players equally as good as them. Until then Arsenal wont win the league and wont win the Champs League unless Fabregas and Van Persie's injuries conveniently occur around champions leagues games. Although it wouldnt matter if they draw Barca again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Frisbee wrote: »
    The manager doesn't need to be changed, however his philosophy on spending money does.

I also think there has to be major changes in personnel too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How do you know wenger has the money? Utd have over 150m in the bank but any right minded utd fan knows we won't spend any where near that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Nay
    As big a fan as I am of Wengers footballing philosophy his recent outbursts in the media(however hard done by he feels) and touchline twitchyness(pacing relentlessly arms folded in dugout as he rocks back and forth) speak to a man under intense pressure and not hiding it well , this is of course understandable given the trophy drought arsenal have experianced. The thing is I believe he is tranfering those nerves onto his players now , when they see him pacing the touchline biting his fingers like a nervous parent at Soccer practice it's gotta plant seeds of doubt in their mind about their ability to fulfill their potential doesn't it .

Fergie on the other hand the only thing that changes in his demeanor when United aren't playing well is the pace he chews his gum ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I might be dismissed but I believe Wenger plays a part in the injuries his players get.
    It must be something to do with the training regime, it can't be coincidence after coincidence, bad luck after bad luck.

Since you started this thread TWO YEARS AGO(!) and are bringing it now back as some twisted turn at justification? Yes. Unfortunately.
    partyndbs wrote: »
    easiest job in football that guy has, hes obviously a very good manager but so overrated. he gives youth players a chance and plays passing football which to the masses seems to make him like a god. i dunno what arsenals finances are like so dunno if anyone could do better, but i doubt they'd do much worse tbh
    Easiest job in football? <repeats to self> Will not rise to the troll</repeats to self>
    I would love to know what manager could have kept us in the top 4 since 1996 when he joined the club with a pretty meagre transfer purse, developing our youth academy and building a state of the art stadium...
    As big a fan as I am of Wengers footballing philosophy his recent outbursts in the media(however hard done by he feels) and touchline twitchyness(pacing relentlessly arms folded in dugout as he rocks back and forth) speak to a man under intense pressure and not hiding it well , this is of course understandable given the trophy drought arsenal have experianced. The thing is I believe he is tranfering those nerves onto his players now , when they see him pacing the touchline biting his fingers like a nervous parent at Soccer practice it's gotta plant seeds of doubt in their mind about their ability to fulfill their potential doesn't it .

I agree and said so much on the Arsenal thread:
    I think I joined the dark side today...

I have stood behind Wenger and defended him to the hilt, but with the club in a good financial place, a you th system that is great and the future looking solid, I think it's time for him to move on. We need a winning mentality in the club and the fact that this is the third cup exit in two weeks, the fact that we haven't taken advantage of Man Utd's slip up over recent weeks, leads me to believe that he just doesn't possess it anymore.

I thank him for everything he's done which has improved the club, but after getting everything else in order, it's now time to get the first team in order and back to winning ways.

Who? I'd be happy with Wengers recommendation, Dragan Stojković

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The answer's still no. We went out of 2 competitions in a week in '04 and went on to win the league and are in a fantastic position to do so again this season.

Keown said the other night that this is the last season Wenger will go with this group of players if they are unsuccessful, so new faces will be brought in. I reckon Fabregas will stay another season at least because Barcelona won't offer enough money for him if at all. As for Wilshere, he's been at the club for 10 years already and has only just broken into the first team, he won't be going anywhere for quite some time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Getting rid of Wenger now = shooting yourself in the foot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Mental thread. Arsenal are the only ones still competing with United for the league!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

markesmith wrote: »
    Mental thread. Arsenal are the only ones still competing with United for the league!

But its the same every season. This is the time we fade and all the signs are its happening again. The fault for this lies with Wenger. He cant motivate this bunch of players. I said in the Arsenal thread that I think its time for him to move aside and I stick by that. We've been lacking this season, and in seasons past, every time the pressure has been on. When Utd have slipped up in the league, we've bottled the chance to close the gap. One of the weakest PL seasons is going to be won by a United team that have been pretty average at best. On Saturday they could have rested another couple of first teamers and still won the match. They know how to play against us and for some bizarre reason Wenger has never even tried to alter his tactics against them. His stubborness is his downfall.

Come the end of the season he will have been in charge for 15 years and nearly half of them have been trophyless. He's left the club on a sound financial platform but the time has come to give someone with new ideas a chance. Just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Yea Arsenal should get rid of Arsene and bring back George Graham.

UTD should sack Fergie and bring in Hodgson

City sack Mancini and bring back Joe Royle

Chelsea sack Ancelotti and bring back Hoddle .

Then I can sit back and enjoy Liverpool win all the spoils .

What a ridiculous thread but .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

keano_afc wrote: »
    Come the end of the season he will have been in charge for 15 years and nearly half of them have been trophyless.

You could rephrase that and say he's the most successful manager in the clubs history and has spent his entire tenure at Arsenal competing against arguably the best manager of all time who also has more resources at his disposal. He's also had to compete with a Russian oligarch throwing money at a club in a manner previously unheard of.

Arsenal were not a very successful club prior to Wenger taking over. Its only because of him that people now expect them to win every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Sunday Supplement podcast was quite interesting this week. They were discussing Wenger on it.

Saying that the players are never really criticised as such due to Wenger blaming ref decisions and not taking his players into account after poor performances.

Personally I'd give him one more season and I was the chairman I'd say, "here's some money, now spend that wisely and get us a trophy"

EDIT: That is, if they don't win the league this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

That_Guy wrote: »
    The Sunday Supplement podcast was quite interesting this week. They were discussing Wenger on it.

Saying that the players are never really criticised as such due to Wenger blaming ref decisions and not taking his players into account after poor performances.

Personally I'd give him one more season and I was the chairman I'd say, "here's some money, now spend that wisely and get us a trophy"

EDIT: That is, if they don't win the league this season.

Wenger has done this before though, it's simply to take the spotlight off the players. Often it is a younger player who would make poor deicisons or mistakes. What's going to effect them more, Wenger saying no don't worry it wasn't your fault privately and then blaming the ref publicly, so the xenophobic media can slaughter him for blaming refs, or the media crucify one of Arsenals young tippy tappy footballers who has no steel or muscle.

Same way Wenger often lies about injuries for players to save them the public debacle of being dropped.

I'm not sure myself if it's the right thing to do, i can see why he does it. Different folks different strokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

One thing to consider is that if Wenger goes he will be quickly followed by Cesc (like it or not) and there are quite a few others as well who would be more inclined to leave, we don't need to lose what little experience we have right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

people like always like big up how good arsenal are to watch but i have to say id never be like omg wanna watch the arsenal match tonight, there an unappealing team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

partyndbs wrote: »
    people like always like big up how good arsenal are to watch but i have to say id never be like omg wanna watch the arsenal match tonight, there an unappealing team.

OMG, I was like I dont even like Arsenal like. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Nay
    I dont think he should go but something has to change in order for them to step up and actually win the champions league or even the PL.
    There not strong enough mentally in my opinion and we are badly in need of a decent GK.Look at van der sar last saturday he kept utd in the game for the amount of saves he made.Even vidic played fantastically.

• Advertisement
Advertisement