Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Nay
    Sack Wenger and bring in Charlie Sheen, he knows all about winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Colinboy wrote: »
    Even vidic played fantastically.

This is surprising? Vidic is a super player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If he went who would replace him and still play the game way that most Arsenal fans would expect their football to be played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

This ridiculous thread.

Some think that Arsenal ahve this divine right to win things based upon what's gone before; when you examine the reality of the situation we have neither the brand of Manchester United nor the oil dollars of Chelsea and Manchester City so we are competing well when viewed within that context. We're probably only the third biggest club in England when you count Liverpool in. So all in all I think Arsenal have punched well above their weight the last decade or so.

Arsene Wenger has his faults but its becuase of him Arsenal are the club they are. The most frustrating thing for Arsenal fans is that the faults have been apparent with the team for the last few years but relatively little has been done to rectify them; maybe its under the guise of trusting the players/giving youth a chance but the reality is we aren't that far away from being winners.

So OP; bump this whenever things don't go Arsenal's way, whenever you like but to be quite honest all you do is show yourself to be a short minded, ignorant and ill informed poster when it comes to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nay
    cson wrote: »
    This ridiculous thread.

Some think that Arsenal ahve this divine right to win things based upon what's gone before; when you examine the reality of the situation we have neither the brand of Manchester United nor the oil dollars of Chelsea and Manchester City so we are competing well when viewed within that context. We're probably only the third biggest club in England when you count Liverpool in. So all in all I think Arsenal have punched well above their weight the last decade or so.

Arsene Wenger has his faults but its becuase of him Arsenal are the club they are. The most frustrating thing for Arsenal fans is that the faults have been apparent with the team for the last few years but relatively little has been done to rectify them; maybe its under the guise of trusting the players/giving youth a chance but the reality is we aren't that far away from being winners.

So OP; bump this whenever things don't go Arsenal's way, whenever you like but to be quite honest all you do is show yourself to be a short minded, ignorant and ill informed poster when it comes to Arsenal.
    how dare you call someone ignorant for voicing their OPINION . No wonder i don't post more with people like you around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

I really think we should wait until the last day of the season before judging.let's get behind the team lads still great chance for the league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

No way should he go . Well in there for the league and ROBBED by farcical refeeing in the CL last 16.
    Would have gone a different way had VP not been sent off for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

jcf wrote: »
    No way should he go . Well in there for the league and ROBBED by farcical refeeing in the CL last 16.

:pac:

Don't remember Messi getting fouled in the box or Barca having a goal disallowed in the first leg?

Yes the Van Persie red card was a joke but it's not as if yous didn't getting any dodgy refereeing decisions in your favour.

smilerf wrote: »
    how dare you call someone ignorant for voicing their OPINION . No wonder i don't post more with people like you around

Educate yourself as to the words meaning; http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignorant

"Lacking in knowledge of a particular subject"

Which the OP is. He knows f-all about Arsenal if he's calling for Wengers head tbqh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

ONE ARSENE WENGER.

I defiantly do fear for us as a club when Wenger eventually leaves probably in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

DH2K9 wrote: »
    ONE ARSENE WENGER.

I defiantly do fear for us as a club when Wenger eventually leaves probably in 2014.

I don't fear for us at all. However the main reason why I feel this way is because of the way that Wenger has done his job.

He has his deficiencies no doubt but there is no queston that when he leaves the club, it will be in a better position than when he took the reigns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

i think wengers taken arsenal as far as he can. if ever there was a case of a time to move on its wenger and arsenal. hell go down as a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

To those saying they think it's time for a change of manager at Arsenal - who would you like to see brought in to replace Wenger?

There's not many better and realistic options, if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

id love to see what he would do with a 100 million euro transfer budget...imagine he replaced mancini ;)

Paully D wrote: »
    To those saying they think it's time for a change of manager at Arsenal - who would you like to see brought in to replace Wenger?

There's not many better and realistic options, if any.

look at the post ten posts behind yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

partyndbs wrote: »
    id love to see what he would do with a 100 million euro transfer budget...imagine he replaced mancini ;)

would prefer £ ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I hear Rafa is available!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay
    cson wrote: »

Why ignorant and short minded.

If you care to read any of my posts through out this thread you will see everything i've said has happenend. Arsenal are in no better position than they were 2-3 years ago. Still same old things happening towards end of the season, replusive amount of injuries, still no keeper but full of excuses. The league is there for the taking this year with the way everyone else is playing, yet once again you are falling asounder, the buck stops with the manager.

Its amazing that some posters are starting to agree to a poll from 2 years ago when everyone called for my head. And he has done nothing in these 2 years, but i'm the one thats wrong.

Call me mad but if Arsenal fail to win the league, can't see the boardroom been to impressed, and if the sounds coming out of Madrid are true Mourinho could well be in the hotseat come the start of next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Complete change of how to run a football club if Mourinho takes over. Is that what the board wants ? A good manager, but one who requires major signings at virtually every transfer window. Anyway if these new UEFA rules are enforced it is a model that will no longer be allowed. It will be a real shame if Wenger is let go now when he has put the club in such a great position to benefit from these rule changes.

Personally he's still a hero in my book despite the major disappointments over the last couple of weeks for what he continues to achieve with the club, the players he finds and cultivates . He has blind spots but the club is in a supremely good position. I really wouldn't like to see that ruined by a couple of years of recklessness from Mourinho, even if that meant winning a few trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

If you care to read any of my posts through out this thread you will see everything i've said has happenend. Arsenal are in no better position than they were 2-3 years ago. Still same old things happening towards end of the season, replusive amount of injuries, still no keeper but full of excuses. The league is there for the taking this year with the way everyone else is playing, yet once again you are falling asounder, the buck stops with the manager.

Its amazing that some posters are starting to agree to a poll from 2 years ago when everyone called for my head. And he has done nothing in these 2 years, but i'm the one thats wrong.

Call me mad but if Arsenal fail to win the league, can't see the boardroom been to impressed, and if the sounds coming out of Madrid are true Mourinho could well be in the hotseat come the start of next season.

You say that Arsenal arent in a better position than the last 2-3 Years, but If Arsenal win the league then they are in a better position. We are only three points behind the leaders with a game in hand. Thats a pretty good position in anyones books with ten games left. So its too early for you to say that we arent in a better position than a couple of seasons to go. Bump this thread at the end of the season, you may have a point then.

For the record I dont want Wenger sacked, its been a frustrating couple of weeks alright and luck hasnt been there either with some injuries and poor decisions going against us. But when I step back and see the comparitive budgets that other competing clubs have then I can see the difficulty in winning the top competitions, somebody every season has to end up being disappointed. Hopefully its not the Gunners this season. The last ten matches will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

jcf wrote: »

Have ye a source for this?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There's a decent discussion to be had here. Let's not derail it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There's a decent discussion to be had here. Let's not derail it.

I was just nitpicking.

You seem to be working on the basis that we have some divine right to win things, and we don't. I've said it before but we neither have the brand of Manchester United nor the oil dollars of Chelsea or Manchester City so on a transfer front we can't compete. They'll blow us out of the water for any big names. The only way we can compete is by proceeding the way Wenger has - pay top dollar for good youth talent and try and develop them into world class players. There is no other top team in Europe [Barcelona, Real, Chelsea, United, City, Inter etc] that you will get your chance relatively straight away - and that's our USP, that's how we've managed to continue to dine at the top table of the Premiership. I know you'll point to the Henry and Vieira days but remember that it was pretty much only ourselves and United in the hunt for about 6 years until Chelsea came along - we could compete to a certain extent in signing players but even then; Vieira was a £4m Milan flop and Henry a £10m unwanted Juventus winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay
    A 2 year old thread in which i predicted everything that has happened Arsenal, actually quite amazed how many people are starting to agree with me now, i got hammered here for calling for his head.

So my question still stands...........is it time for Wenger to go?? I felt it was 2 years ago and have be proven very correct.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Nay
    He really should go now tbh, and most Arsenal fans I talk to agree, many giving up their STs, others don't seem too bothered because its all to predictable and embarrassing.

I'm sure United fans, and the vocal AKB will shout me down though. But they never learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

wenger isnt gonna walk away from a 6 million a year job and the board isnt gonna sack him so i think this thread is null and void to be honest. the only thing the fans can hope for is that wenger opens his eyes and tries to fix the glaring weaknessess in the squad.

today was pitiful really but it wasnt a surprising result. its never a surprise these days when arsenal are beaten no matter who we play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

ha this thread always pops up when Arsenal lose,

cracks me up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Who would you all get to replace him though? Realistic targets only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

You'd be stone mad to ditch Wenger. Spent very little money and kept you compeditive. He will spend this summer on a good center half and a dominant midfielder and you'll be good to go. Maybe add something up front if he gets rid of a few attackers. I'd expect Arsenal to have a big season in 11/12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

He has one more year for me. We don't necessarily have to win something but at least he has to show willingness to enter the transfer market for players older than 15 and instill some sense of stability into that squad. Our performances over the last two months when they really mattered have been pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

A 2 year old thread in which i predicted everything that has happened Arsenal, actually quite amazed how many people are starting to agree with me now, i got hammered here for calling for his head.

So my question still stands...........is it time for Wenger to go?? I felt it was 2 years ago and have be proven very correct.

Crawl back under your rock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Paully D wrote: »
    Who would you all get to replace him though? Realistic targets only.

I don't want him gone but if we were to get rid I'd want Pelligrini.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Nay
    Woody_FX wrote: »
    He will spend this summer on a good center half and a dominant midfielder and you'll be good to go. Maybe add something up front if he gets rid of a few attackers. I'd expect Arsenal to have a big season in 11/12.
    Where are you getting this repated crap from?

He's already said we wont be spending big, and certainly not on a CB, we bought two last summer. Look how they turned out.

Sometimes I think United fans just dominate this discussion. If Ferguson was at the same they would all want his head like a few years ago, when it wasnt near as bad as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Wenger has lost his ability to motivate the team. There will be no more trophies until there is a regime change. I'm an Arsenal fan for 25 years and really respect the man for what he has done...but it's all gone stale and sour now and I can't see it changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

whats does a realistic choice for manager mean exactly? bar ferguson and possibly pep every manager in world football would be available if arsenal were willing to pay the right wages - wenger is getting 6 million pounds a year roundabouts i think theres not many managers who would turn that down.

id prefer to see him stay but operate differently but if he did go i want hiddink. hes a class act as a manager i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

Nay
    Is this Wenger's last stand?
    With a make or break CL second leg tomorrow night against Udinese looming and a trip to Old Trafford on Sunday, could this be Wenger's last stand. Getting knocked out of the CL is unthinkable for a club of Arsenal's stature at this stage. The loss of income reported to be in the region of £25m is the equivalent of Nasri's reported fee to City, both could happen in the space of 24 hrs.

Wenger's squad is now threadbare with no real leaders. His continual belief in buying youth has now failed and they look like dropping out of the Top 4 this season. Even this season, he spends £13m on Chamberlain, a 17 year-old when the dogs on the street know they need experienced pros to gel the team together. His demeanour on the sidelines is now farcical and Arsenal have become a laughing stock. This week could be the final nail in his coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mont wrote: »
    Is this Wenger's last stand?
    With a make or break CL second leg tomorrow night against Udinese looming and a trip to Old Trafford on Sunday, could this be Wenger's last stand. Getting knocked out of the CL is unthinkable for a club of Arsenal's stature at this stage. The loss of income reported to be in the region of £25m is the equivalent of Nasri's reported fee to City, both could happen in the space of 24 hrs.

Wenger's squad is now threadbare with no real leaders. His continual belief in buying youth has now failed and they look like dropping out of the Top 4 this season. Even this season, he spends £13m on Chamberlain, a 17 year-old when the dogs on the street know they need experienced pros to gel the team together. His demeanour on the sidelines is now farcical and Arsenal have become a laughing stock. This week could be the final nail in his coffin.

It won't come to a head this week at all. We have van Persie back, so I'm extremely confident that we'll score in Italy, meaning that they'll need to score 3. I'm not sure they're up to that. It's a very important game, but I'm still very confident that we'll progress.

As for signings, of course we're all very disappointed that there haven't been more, but the window is still open for over a week. I'd be shocked if we didn't sign at least 2 decent players. If we don't however, then I'd seriously start to worry for Wenger's position as the current squad isn't capable of a top 4 finish imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

the only place wenger should go to is the bank and get the cash out.....i am not a arsenal fan but i admire the way he wants his teams to play and what he has done there over the years. He does need new players though or they could struggle to make top 4 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

It depends on who is lying, the board who say there's money to spend or Wenger who says that he has to sell one player every summer to balance the books. If Wenger has the money but refuses to spend it then he should definitely go.

His squad is depleted by injuries and suspensions - not his fault.

Fabregas and Nasri wanted/wants to go - not his fault.

Failure to get correct players in during the window - This is either his fault or the boards fault or a combination of the two? Not sure tbh.

If they sign a few players and get players back from injury & suspension they'll be fine.

Simple answer - no, it's far from his last stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Wenger should have went to PSG during the summer, especially if they were offering him a blank cheque in terms of salary and transfer funds. He's got nothing left to prove at Arsenal, in fact his legacy is being sullied the longer he stays there trophyless.

To draw a parallel we should look at old big head himself Brian Clough, did amazing things at Forest but just stayed too long in the job and it all ended in tears by the end of his reign. Of course it's highly unlikely Arsenal are going to struggle like Forest did, but it's probably going to take Arsenal dropping out of the CL at the qualifying stage, or failing to make the top 4 this season on next to bring home the point that Wengers time is almost up at Ashburton Grove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think he is a great manager who has helped Arsenal punch above their weight for a long time.

Finishing 4th last season was considered a failure for him, but when you look at the money City spent to just get into the top 4, and the money Liverpool have spent since January and they would be delighted to get into the top 4 this season, it's not exactly the end of the world is it?

I just feel when he is long gone, Arsenal fans will be looking back at this era, and saying to themselves it was pretty damn good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think its a bit unfair to start talking about this so early in the season. He has lost two big names from his midfield only in the last week or so and thats obviously going to upset things for a short while, he will bring in replacements and the likleyhood is that they will work out.

And even with them losses he has had a nightmare with his current midfielders with Wilshere and Diaby out injured and Song and Gervinho both out suspended too. When a club like Arsenal is depending on you Aaron Ramsey to do big things on his own its never going to end well. After ten games though when everybody is fit and the new signings(I presume there will be big signings) come in I expect they will be flying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

eagle eye wrote: »
    When a club like Arsenal is depending on you Aaron Ramsey to do big things on his own its never going to end well. After ten games though when everybody is fit and the new signings(I presume there will be big signings) come in I expect they will be flying again.

Thing is, while I agree that they have had a share of bad luck, it's up to Wenger to ensure they're prepared for that. Absolutely everybody knew Fabregas was going, and Arsenal themselves will have known for weeks now that Nasri was on the way out. Even before Song's stupid suspension, they would have needed to strengthen. Yes, he has until the end of the window, but they've already dropped 5 points from their first 2 games, they're already playing catch up. Better late than never and all that, but when you look at the bad luck United have had - injuries to Vidic and Ferdinand on the opening weekend - we already had our back up plan in place when we signed Jones. Wenger hasn't prepared his squad for this season at all, especially where it needed to be prepared most. Unless there's something going on behind the scenes that prevents him from doing so as others have suggested, he really has no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Thing is, while I agree that they have had a share of bad luck, it's up to Wenger to ensure they're prepared for that. Absolutely everybody knew Fabregas was going, and Arsenal themselves will have known for weeks now that Nasri was on the way out. Even before Song's stupid suspension, they would have needed to strengthen. Yes, he has until the end of the window, but they've already dropped 5 points from their first 2 games, they're already playing catch up. Better late than never and all that, but when you look at the bad luck United have had - injuries to Vidic and Ferdinand on the opening weekend - we already had our back up plan in place when we signed Jones. Wenger hasn't prepared his squad for this season at all, especially where it needed to be prepared most. Unless there's something going on behind the scenes that prevents him from doing so as others have suggested, he really has no excuses.

In fairness to Wenger he did try to sign Jones and Smalling but was beaten to their signatures by Fergie. I also dont believe its all rosey at the moment between Wenger and the board. Its the least prepared Arsenal squad for the opening of a season that ive ever seen. I knew that we would drop points early on in the season as there is so much uncertainty at the moment and the number of injuries already is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think its a bit unfair to start talking about this so early in the season. He has lost two big names from his midfield only in the last week or so and thats obviously going to upset things for a short while, he will bring in replacements and the likleyhood is that they will work out.

And even with them losses he has had a nightmare with his current midfielders with Wilshere and Diaby out injured and Song and Gervinho both out suspended too.
    When a club like Arsenal is depending on you Aaron Ramsey to do big things on his own its never going to end well. After ten games though when everybody is fit and the new signings(I presume there will be big signings) come in I expect they will be flying again.

Agreed.

They will be flying in a few weeks time, no doubt about it. When Rooney said he wanted to leave Utd last year, a rake of Utd fans and the majority of opposition fans were claiming terminal decline. They've shut up now and most of them have come full circle.

Things change all the time in football. Fans will always be fickle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

1. wait until the end of the season; he deserves that.

2. it depends on what the board want from their manager.

if it's to continue to be a top 4 club, keeping the club on a sound financial footing, while playing good football, then they aren't going to get better than Wenger.

if it's to win trophies, then his time should maybe come at the end of the season, because his attitude towards a defence that is supposed to be trying to challenge for the title is deplorable at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Football isnt about trophies these days its all about business!

And as long as Wenger keeps spending minumally and gets champo league football then he's doing a job he's being hired to do.

As an Arsenal fan its very fustrating knowing a few signing and we could have challeged over the past three years -

Also every year people say Arsenal will struggle and every year they get top four so we'll have to see this season - For the first time im not optimistc - the only world class player we have is RVP and he only plays 13 games a season -

Advertisement