Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay
    And to think i got hammered on here for suggesting Wenger should walk. Everything ive said has come true, now its just embarrassing, Wenger is completely to blame for the way this squad looks today, for all his brilliance he just doesn't produce the goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Nay
    And to think i got hammered on here for suggesting Wenger should walk. Everything ive said has come true, now its just embarrassing, Wenger is completely to blame for the way this squad looks today, for all his brilliance he just doesn't produce the goods.

He has to be on thin ice now. Even his starting line up looked shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

The suits at Arsenal should just ask Wenger who is top 5 targets are and just go out and buy them. No need for Wenger to be at the negotiating table. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

The suits at Arsenal should just ask Wenger who is top 5 targets are and just go out and buy them. No need for Wenger to be at the negotiating table. :pac:

Probably 5 teenage wingers.

I dont know what the situation is regarding the board but given the inability to spend money, is it possible the board are not giving him the money being raised and trying to clear all the stadium debt?

hoping he will be able to keep them competitive on a shoestring budget and then sell them off when they have paid off most of the debt?

Nay
    7-2 now, this is beyond embarrassing for a club like Arsenal.

I dont know what the situation is regarding the board but given the inability to spend money, is it possible the board are not giving him the money being raised and trying to clear all the stadium debt?

hoping he will be able to keep them competitive on a shoestring budget and then sell them off when they have paid off most of the debt?

Doubt it, people on the board have said before that there is plenty of money to spend. Now they have the cash from the Nasri and Fabregas sales.

I'd be stunned if they were lying, and Wenger would just stand by and let it happen while he's taking all the flack and being presented as some kind of deluded Scrooge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I think this is finally it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

He will be sacked in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Nay
    I think this is finally it!
    It's the board that has to go not Wenger

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

NickDrake wrote: »

I don;t think he will be sacked, if anything, he would probably resign, although I really don;t think that will happen.

Soups123 wrote: »

He will resign, not be sacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nay
    WengersPiano.jpg

With the way the squad is looking, it'd be pretty bad form just to walk away. If he's not pushed, then he needs to stay and sort out this mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There are bigger problems at Arsenal than just Wenger, but he's not helping. If he doesn't address the glaring flaws in his management, he should go. And he hasn't really shown that he is ready to address them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

NickDrake wrote: »

Not a hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I honestly cannot comprehend why an arsenal fan could possibly call for him to be sacked.

With the way the squad is looking, it'd be pretty bad form just to walk away. If he's not pushed, then he needs to stay and sort out this mess.

He had a few months in the summer to do it - don't think the motivation is there with him either,at this stage. Better to walk now, for the sake of his legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He is still an outstanding manager and this result doesn't change that any more than the 6-1 result did a decade ago. It's a harsh lesson though for a proud man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

if wenger walks or is sacked tomorrow, arsenal are screwed

3 days to bring in a manager and the 5 players or so that they need to compete again? theyre as well holding on to him til the window is closed then sacking him

• Advertisement

Nay

He's had his time now. I think Arsenal badly need new ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Christ lads remember Bruce Rioch
    Beidh lá eile ar an bPaorach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Nay
    Soups123 wrote: »

He ain't the problem, too many people making too much money out of club

Who would you replace him with?

The same manager would have to deal with all the injuries and suspensions too you know.

Arsenal would be in even worse shape if they sack Wenger.

Merse wasnt even a decent alco (T Adams)

Key players missing context people!

We were playing the second best team in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Should've gone in the summer. Should go next summer.

Now is not the time.

Nay
    efb wrote: »
    Christ lads remember Bruce Rioch

He left Wenger with a decent defence and a brilliant Dutchman. Whoever came in now would have to chuck much of the squad and start again. Obviously he won't get sacked this season and he'll probably walk early next summer before the board moves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Merse wasnt even a decent alco (T Adams)

Key players missing context people!

a 3-0 defeat and that would be a reasonable excuse

theres no excuse for a professional football team from the top flight to concede 8 goals in a match. ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

rarnes1 wrote: »

The same manager would have to deal with all the injuries and suspensions too you know.

But isn't the problem that Wenger hasn't built/maintained a squad capable of dealing with injuries and suspensions? What use is spending so much on the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain if you don't have decent cover for key positions?

Arsenal need some experienced utility men to pick up the slack when their incredibly fragile first XI is either injured or suspended, as is a frequent occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

didn't look like madrid out there :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The transfer policy of the club has to be changed, either Wenger does it of his own accord or the board makes him change it.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    didn't look like madrid out there :p

Second, not Seventh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Second, not Seventh

if you think there are 6 teams better than real atm i don't know what to say

But isn't the problem that Wenger hasn't built/maintained a squad capable of dealing with injuries and suspensions? What use is spending so much on the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain if you don't have decent cover for key positions?

Arsenal need some experienced utility men to pick up the slack when their incredibly fragile first XI is either injured or suspended, as is a frequent occurrence.

Wenger's problem is that since the old guard retired, he never put a value in defenders with steel, who just do their job in a solid fashion. Instead he goes for cheap, error prone wastes of space like Squillaci, Cygan, Koscienly, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay

Wenger created these problems with having no depth in his squad, every other team in the world has these problems too ya know.

Wenger created these problems, every other team in the world has these problems too ya know.

who would you replace him with then?

TBH I was more pissed off with Ireland's performance yesterday. And I don't think Kidney should go either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

who would you replace him with then?
    I'd put it as a toss up between Roy Hodgson and Martin O'Neill.

Liam O wrote: »

Hodgson can't cut it at a big club obviously. :pac:

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Second, not Seventh

if you think there are 6 teams better than real atm i don't know what to say

Consonance darling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

One disaster game should not equal the sack. They've a few games ahead they should be winning. If they fail miserably at that then it's obvious what would have to happen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

dsmythy wrote: »
    One disaster game should not equal the sack. They've a few games ahead they should be winning. If they fail miserably at that then it's obvious what would have to happen.
    Not quite one game.
    Arsenal's league form since the Carling Cup final - DDDWDDWDDLWLLDDLL

Liam O wrote: »

Jesus you just beat us 8-2! No need to leave the boot in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Technique

wenger1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Yes, 3 games into a season is the perfect time for your opinion to be proven . . !:rolleyes:

After one game, some Pool fans were already writing off their chances of even a CL place . .

I could write insults, but will reserve them for later in the season when this kind of stupid post is proven . . Well stupid and ill conceived . . I need only see the amount of people who thanked you to see that I am prob outnumbered by those who are still in school!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Second, not Seventh

huh? 6-0 today Real won convincingly, they were 4-4 with Barca over 2 legs up till 3 minutes left. Champions League semi-final last season.

No way are they 7th!!!

See above

Nay
    Always a bad sign when health "concerns" are suddenly raised.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/29/arsene-wenger-arsenal-health
    There continues to be concern at the club for the Frenchman's health, given the levels of stress that he is under, while he also faces the question about whether he has anything more to give.

Highly speculative no doubt but possibly part of a media briefing against Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Nay
    dsmythy wrote: »
    Not quite one game.
    Arsenal's league form since the Carling Cup final - DDDWDDWDDLWLLDDLL
    Very similar to ramos' reign after we won the carling cup.

Nay
    Well flahavaja is he still the right man for the job?

4 points from 5 with 14 goals conceded ain't great now. Also was fortunate to get into the CL. No trophy since '05 but he's got some good youngsters :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement