Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If he's not going then he needs to have his ideas and plans challenged, at board level and by a strong 2nd hand man with his own opinions. Not sure how much of a counterpoint Rice provides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Nay
    greendom wrote: »
    If he's not going then he needs to have his ideas and plans challenged, at board level and by a strong 2nd hand man with his own opinions. Not sure how much of a counterpoint Rice provides.

I don't see what Rice has to do with it. If Wenger wasn't happy with his contribution then he should have replaced him. The results are down to Wenger, the buck stops with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

As pers usual the arsenal defence is still poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I don't see what Rice has to do with it. If Wenger wasn't happy with his contribution then he should have replaced him. The results are down to Wenger, the buck stops with him.

In terms of his assistant I am blaming Wenger. Look at the number of right-hand men Ferguson has had over the years. They come in with their ideas, which enables Man Utd to develop and progress as a club. That hasn't happened at Arsenal and the results speak for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Keep the faith I say, who would you replace him with? See if he can rectify things this season, give him a mountain of cash in Jan and the summer then judge him on next season imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Nay
    Looks like Arteta took a step down to a big club......

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The players aren't playing for him anymore, it's obvious they don't believe in him. He needs to be replaced ASAP or things could get a whole lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Nay
    no way , please stay Mr Wenger;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Nay
    If Wenger goes I wonder who you could actually get to replace him? I also don't believe there are piles of cash to be spent last year didnt Arsenal make a small loss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nay
    get rid. I don't get a sense of desire off him anymore. he seems happy just to pick up he's pay cheque

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Hell to the no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Nay
    smilerf wrote: »
    get rid. I don't get a sense of desire off him anymore. he seems happy just to pick up he's pay cheque

Too true , 6 barren years with no trophy and its getting worse!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I think he should, but then again who else can Arsenal get that'd do as good a job? Never mind a better job, which is what fans realistically want from a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Nobody I can see who can replace him, he needs to realise that his team isn't strong enough. Feck all that "mental strength" craic, he needs to take stock, see what he needs, and buy them. None of this looking for young lads who make an impact for 2/3+ years. I feel sorry for Arsenal, they have been dealing with the 8-2 score wordplay jokes 4-3 weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Surely now, it's time for a real football man, a man with 37 years experience, a man like Roy Hodgson to save Arsenal. SURELY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Surely now, it's time for a real football man, a man with 37 years experience, a man like Roy Hodgson to save Arsenal. SURELY.

English and a master of the press....surely...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Who can replace him? I could name two dozen managers who'd have more than 4 points from 5 games. Today's Arsene Wenger is clearly not the same man as the manager who built the Petit/Viera/Henry side, and yet it's those successes that's keeping him in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Fresh new poll needed perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Classic example that if you give a quality manager more time, even if your club is at a very low ebb, things can turn around.

Wenger has done brilliantly with Arsenal over the last couple of months.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    Classic example that if you give a quality manager more time, even if your club is at a very low ebb, things can turn around.

Wenger has done brilliantly with Arsenal over the last couple of months.

What has he won?

This thread is 3 years old, and you have to wonder how Arsenal would be today if they'd given him the old heave-ho back then. Don't think they'd necessarily be worse off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What has he won?

A good few matches and qualification for the knock out stages of the champions league.

It's kind of hard to win trophies between August and December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Originally Posted by pokerface_me viewpost.gif
    And to think i got hammered on here for suggesting Wenger should walk. Everything ive said has come true, now its just embarrassing, Wenger is completely to blame for the way this squad looks today, for all his brilliance he just doesn't produce the goods.
    My Reply
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Yes, 3 games into a season is the perfect time for your opinion to be proven . . !:rolleyes:

After one game, some Pool fans were already writing off their chances of even a CL place . .

I could write insults, but will reserve them for later in the season when this kind of stupid post is proven . . Well stupid and ill conceived . . I need only see the amount of people who thanked you to see that I am prob outnumbered by those who are still in school!

And some people think football is fickle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

It's a 2.5yr old thread and guess who's still the incumbent?

That should answer the question tbqh.

gosplan wrote: »
    A good few matches and qualification for the knock out stages of the champions league.

It's kind of hard to win trophies between August and December.

The thread was started 3 years ago. What has he won since then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

A few Emirates cups..

Arsenal will win something sooner or later. Don't worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

In comparison to what other club who have had a similar nett spend??

Try comparing like with like and Wenger maintaing Arsenal as a Top 4 club and reaching the knockout stages of the Champions league annually is damn impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yes, because trophies are the only way to judge a manager.
    I'd rather Alex McLesh become manager of my club instead of Wenger, at least McLesh has won a trophy in the last 4 years.

Ffs. Can we just f*cking kill this thread with fire already?

If Arsenal go through a bad patch again by all means, start another. But this is a polled thread from nearly 3 years ago! Small chance some people have their mind since then.

Absolute bullsh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

A better question than "what has he won" in the last few years, is "with someone else in charge for those years, where would they be?"

With the net spend Arsenal have had, they should be mid table strugglers. They only reason they have any expectation of winning things is Wenger. As it is, their finishing positions are way above the curve versus what they spend.

To be honest, unless they decide to support a new manager with huge amounts of cash over a period of a few seasons, there's no point changing. Arsene is the perfect man for that job as it stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Stupid thread. The only PL manager I'd consider even half good enough to take over from Fergie.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Nay
    Why is it stupid?

He hasnt won a trophy in 7 years and wont do this season either. The side is filled with average players all over with a couple like Van Persie, Vermaelen and the keeper carrying the team.

We will probably not get CL this season.

Nay
    Why is it stupid?

He hasnt won a trophy in 7 years and wont do this season either. The side is filled with average players all over with a couple like Van Persie, Vermaelen and the keeper carrying the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DB10 wrote: »

How about a wager from one gooner to another? We finish top 4, you delete your account. We don't, I delete mine?

L'prof wrote: »
    How about a wager from one gooner to another? We finish top 4, you delete your account. We don't, I delete mine?

Ah lets not start with these shenanigans again....besides, the stakes are kinda uneven. One has 26 times the others total of Arsenal thread posts.

Competition for 4th is tighter than ever this year; Really between Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Nay
    Why, do you just not like reading opinions you dont agree with?

I dont not want us to get top 4, but I dont think we will. Even so, top 4 isnt a trophy so no cause for celebration.

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Ah lets not start with these shenanigans again....besides, the stakes are kinda uneven. One has 26 times the others total of Arsenal thread posts.

Competition for 4th is tighter than ever this year; Really between Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

No shenanigans whatsoever and if anything, I have more "to lose". I'm not suggesting the loser should never post on boards again, but that they simply reregister. Either he accepts my terms or not, just fed up of reactionary rubbish being posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why is it stupid?

Given the financial might they're competing withArsenal can't really claimk to have a right to trophies anymore. Sure, 7 years without slverware is a letdown in terms of the standards that Wenger himself set at the club, but calling for his head is so so retarded. An amazing manager, who ye'll miss sorely when he's gone.

Why, do you just not like reading opinions you dont agree with?

I dont not want us to get top 4, but I dont think we will. Even so, top 4 isnt a trophy so no cause for celebration.

Believe me I'm all for differing opinions, but when I hear one that I so vehemently oppose, I like a wager. You're either in or out, less of the sidestepping please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Nay
    Why is it stupid?

How can you make a judgment about arsenal not getting CL football this season when we are not even half way through the season :rolleyes:
    After a very bad start to the season we are sitting in anice position and have won 11 of the LAST 13 games in all competitions.We also were the first english team to qualify for the last 16 of the CL having won our group so we are not looking too bad at all at this present moment in time.
    Maybe some of ye guys should turn yer attention to the Man utd and Man city threads and talk about Europa league football instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nails-And-Hammers.jpg

If he keeps us competitive, qualifying for the Champions League, good runs in the cups then I'm happy to wait it out until such a time as FFP rules kick in/the oil dollars dry up/loans start being called in.

In a perverse way dropping down the table a bit might be good for the club; we're probably too expensive for the Oil Sheikh's who are in vogue at the moment and dropping down the table a bit with the effect that would have on our valuation would probably make us an attractive takeover target.

But fuck that, I'm happy for us to compete on our own merits which we've more or less done since AW came to the club.

• Advertisement

A better question than "what has he won" in the last few years, is "with someone else in charge for those years, where would they be?"

With the net spend Arsenal have had, they should be mid table strugglers. They only reason they have any expectation of winning things is Wenger. As it is, their finishing positions are way above the curve versus what they spend.

To be honest, unless they decide to support a new manager with huge amounts of cash over a period of a few seasons, there's no point changing. Arsene is the perfect man for that job as it stands.
    Arsenal have been spending huge amounts of cash the past couple of years; it's been going on wages.

The club has tended to spend about the 4th most in the league; and that is generally where it has finished.

Arsenal have been spending huge amounts of cash the past couple of years; it's been going on wages.

The club has tended to spend about the 4th most in the league; and that is generally where it has finished.

Who is in control of wages at Arsenal? It's always an area I've found odd with the club, as some of the wages given to some players (the second tier of players) seem more like what a club like Bolton would have to offer to secure a name as they dont have competitiveness to offer.

Arsenal have a world class stadium, world class manager, and some work class players to work as well as being based in the most desirable city to live in in England. I just get the impression they should be able to get much more from their wages as the other draws are so good, particularly for this second tier of players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Arsenal were 17th at one stage this season. They could be 4th by the end of the weekends games. Not many managers could turn a team around in the manner that Wenger has.

Trophies are more or less bought now and its pretty clear to see that Arsenal can't afford one.

I'm dreading the day he decides to retire. I'm pretty sure whoever takes over from him will be unable to maintain the clubs stature using the same resources.

Paleface wrote: »
    Arsenal were 17th at one stage this season. They could be 4th by the end of the weekends games. Not many managers could turn a team around in the manner that Wenger has.

Trophies are more or less bought now and its pretty clear to see that Arsenal can't afford one.

I'm dreading the day he decides to retire. I'm pretty sure whoever takes over from him will be unable to maintain the clubs stature using the same resources.
    Only City, Chelsea and United have more resources than us tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Spurs,Pool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Nay
    nuxxx wrote: »

Spurs,Pool?
    Hardly the emirates give Arsenal one of the best sources of income in the premier league without new stadiums and consistently qualifying for the CL neither club can match them for resources.

Nay
    Paleface wrote: »

Turned things around? I wouldnt say that, Van Persie has turned things around. Wenger was the one who got us into this mess in the first place, selling our best players and replacing them with ****e overpriced French and Africans players for the last 5 years.

Its alot like what he done when he relegated Monaco!

Miracles with his resources? The man spent 60 million pounds this season alone ffs!

And even then the team has been a complete disgrace bar lately. Conceding 8 goals to United, humilating the club club at Blackburn the worst side in the PL in years and at Spurs who walked over us.

We've done well in the Champions League, but its time to deliver some trophies, dozens of **** signings in the last few years are inexcusable.

I'm not saying he should be sacked now, but I'm deluded like others in thinking a couple of wins in a row makes the last 7 years good enough. It isnt good enough. I'm also not deluded enough to believe the Fair Play rules being brought in by UEFA and Platini will help Arsenal rise back to where the were.

If you believe those rules will make any difference, you arent living in the real world, where football is run by FIFA,UEFA and money.

Nay
    Hardly the emirates give Arsenal one of the best sources of income in the premier league without new stadiums and consistently qualifying for the CL neither club can match them for resources.

Yeah but Wenger would rather spend that money giving his buddy Diaby 60,000 pounds a week for **** all, then actually improve the side.

Our money is spent on poor players and massive wages on mediocrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

at Spurs who walked over us.

You mean the match that was 0-0 and we were probably the better side til VDV handled in the build-up to a goal which we managed to recover somewhat from before conceding again. Not what I would call a walkover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

amacachi wrote: »
    You mean the match that was 0-0 and we were probably the better side til VDV handled in the build-up to a goal which we managed to recover somewhat from before conceding again. Not what I would call a walkover.

It was more of a Walkerover

Sorry:p

Advertisement