Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Will voting change after today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nay
    zerks wrote: »
    Will voting change after today?
    doubt it. we won 6-1 against a team who'd struggle in the championship.
    not getting my hopes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

smilerf wrote: »
    not getting my hopes up

7-1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nay
    Des wrote: »
    not getting my hopes up

7-1 :)
    I stand corrected ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nay
    Nothing was changed by today except that the next home game might be a real sell out rather than an "official" sell out

I viewed this poll via my phone and...
    20120204145928.png
    Something is wrong...

Edit: I figured out what it was, I had a missed call from my Aunt.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Think it's time to dig this thread out again. A few random quotes from the last few pages :D
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    At least that team competed for the league title and got into the CL. A completely different level now.
    Yeah, Arsenal aren't at CL level at all.
    Unfortunately that's bang on. It's extremely difficult for Wenger to fix the issue as it was mainly caused by not spending when he should have about 3 years ago. Unless he has a time machine I don't see things improving.
    Arsene got in touch with Professor Frink apparently!
    he's lost the plot. he. needs to go. if he spends big and goes back to 4 4 2 it might save him.
    we need top class replacements for song and walcott we need wilshere back to replace Mr flick Ramsey and we need a great striker

I remember Dunphy said a similar thing about Fergie about 6 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What Arsene feels about things now.

http://fuldans.se/?v=tpoljgeecn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nay
    Still going to end the season empty handed and 4th place isn't nailed on just yet. I'd wait until mid May before blowing any trumpets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Exactly especially after last years collapse, alot of peope were accused of jumping the gun for the wenger out cries. don't count our chickens yet. Spuds have decent run in, we still got chelsea and city and going by the way we play recently, 1 loss or bad draw is usually followed by another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i think, regardless of the rest of the season, unless there's a collapse of really epic proportions, the "Wenger Out" brigade have proven to more than a little silly.

and that's quite the understatement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Football isnt about trophies these days its all about business!

And as long as Wenger keeps spending minumally and gets champo league football then he's doing a job he's being hired to do.

As an Arsenal fan its very fustrating knowing a few signing and we could have challeged over the past three years -

Also every year people say Arsenal will struggle and every year they get top four so we'll have to see this season - For the first time im not optimistc - the only world class player we have is RVP and he only plays 13 games a season -

Ha, some funny replies from gooners, lucky I didnt make too much of a fool of myself.

Replace the words "Arsene Wenger" with "Alex Ferguson", "Roberto Mancini" or "Kenny Dalgleish" and there is no way this thread would be resurrected again and again and again.

This forum really is going to the f*cking dogs.

mike65 wrote: »
    Still going to end the season empty handed and 4th place isn't nailed on just yet. I'd wait until mid May before blowing any trumpets.

I think winning a trophy for the sake of it is over rated and masks a lot of problems. For instance, the champions league and the league are the 2 big ones. Winning either of them isn't a given for any club, and your season isn't a disaster if you don't win them.
    League and FA cup don't really matter too much. Look at Kenny at liverpool, trying to pretent everything is rosie at anfield because they won a league cup and are still in the FA cup.

No,No, NO [/closethread]

• Advertisement

RVP 11 wrote: »
    No,No, NO [/closethread]

It's always opened after an arsenal loss. I think it should always be bumped up when they're on a run of form so all the wenger doubters have to constantly see the thread title and realise how wrong they are :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think winning a trophy for the sake of it is over rated and masks a lot of problems. For instance, the champions league and the league are the 2 big ones. Winning either of them isn't a given for any club, and your season isn't a disaster if you don't win them.
    League and FA cup don't really matter too much. Look at Kenny at liverpool, trying to pretent everything is rosie at anfield because they won a league cup and are still in the FA cup.

Exactly, would any Arsenal fan want to swap position with Liverpool? Heck no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Losing Nasri and Fabregas, yet still being in with a strong shout of a place in the top four; played Monsieur Wenger, played.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's always opened after an arsenal loss. I think it should always be bumped up when they're on a run of form so all the wenger doubters have to constantly see the thread title and realise how wrong they are :D

:D
    I doubted Wenger myself, but only that he was losing the dressing room and motivating the players.
    But he has quashed any concerns i had, losing a game is another thing.....this happens to every team.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

mike65 wrote: »

crybaby.png

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

You have to remember that Arsenal have lost 3 of their best midfielders for the entire season and are still in pole position in 3rd place for a CL spot.

Could any other club or manager do that while also posting a profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

jank wrote: »
    You have to remember that Arsenal have lost 3 of their best midfielders for the entire season and are still in pole position in 3rd place for a CL spot.

Could any other club or manager do that while also posting a profit?

Well two of those midfielders leaving were the reason for the profit in fairness :pac:

KeithAFC wrote: »
    I think a lot of people seem to miss the vital point when it comes to Arsene Wenger and the club at the moment. If you look at the current team, it is a team which will struggle to make the Europa League, never mind Champions League.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    We're not going to make the CL spots this year. Not with the squad we currently have, it's just not good enough.

Amazing the difference 7 straight wins can make eh? :pac: Still not nailed on but I assume you're both feeling a little more optimistic now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I think he should leave. The club haven't won a title for many seasons. Regardless if he does "good" this season, ie gets 3rd/4th in the league, I think he should still leave.

He seems to lack the winning formula, ATM and for a while now, he hasn't been able to take the club to the top and get titles. The line about the youth players getting better as they age, well that was 4/5 years ago now when Fabregas, etc were young. They are 24/25 now and approaching their prime.

I think Wenger showed what he can do, which is manage well. But IMO he shouldn't stay. Well isn't good enough to get the titles. The club seems to just about get into 3rd/4th and get in the Champions League, but not do very well. The same with the FA Cup/Carling, get very far but never win. Maybe a new manager can up a gear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

amacachi wrote: »
    Amazing the difference 7 straight wins can make eh? :pac: Still not nailed on but I assume you're both feeling a little more optimistic now?

I'm more optimistic but not convinced of it tbh. We've seen twice already this season we're capable of putting together a shockingly bad run of games. We still have to play Chelsea, City and Stoke, three very tough games.

I think our fate is in our own hands, but if any team is capable of throwing away a decent position in the closing stages of the season it's Arsenal, as we've seen every year for the last 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm more optimistic but not convinced of it tbh. We've seen twice already this season we're capable of putting together a shockingly bad run of games. We still have to play Chelsea, City and Stoke, three very tough games.

I think our fate is in our own hands, but if any team is capable of throwing away a decent position in the closing stages of the season it's Arsenal, as we've seen every year for the last 5.
    I think Spurs would like to throw their name into that hat :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

I think he should leave. The club haven't won a title for many seasons. Regardless if he does "good" this season, ie gets 3rd/4th in the league, I think he should still leave.

He seems to lack the winning formula, ATM and for a while now, he hasn't been able to take the club to the top and get titles. The line about the youth players getting better as they age, well that was 4/5 years ago now when Fabregas, etc were young. They are 24/25 now and approaching their prime.

I think Wenger showed what he can do, which is manage well. But IMO he shouldn't stay. Well isn't good enough to get the titles. The club seems to just about get into 3rd/4th and get in the Champions League, but not do very well. The same with the FA Cup/Carling, get very far but never win. Maybe a new manager can up a gear?
    The problem would be him going and then us falling out of the CL places. If we do replace him, we need to appoint an experienced top class manager. I have always said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

When will it end? For anyone who wants him to leave, who do they replace him with? Who is more likely to achieve 3rd or 4th consistently while making a profit in the transfer market while all around are ploughing millions into trying to do exactly that and failing?

Anyone who answers that question with Mourinho/Guardiola is deluded and quite frenkly insane. It's ironic that if it wasn't for Wenger's success over the past 15 years and what he has built the club into we wouldn't feel so entitled, no pun intended.

Anyone who answers with Moyes/Rogers is just as nuts because Wenger is the master of the sort of over-achievement they are lauded for.

Anyone who answers Stojkovic, if you want Wenger out, why go with his chosen replacement before Wenger chooses? Personally, if Pat Rice does retire as expected this season, I'd hope to see Stojkovic appointed as assistant manager in his place, so that when the time really does come for Wenger to go he's used to the runnings of the club and the players. If Wenger wants him to replace him, then he deserves that choice to be seen through after all he's done for the club.

For all the above and any other there's a vibe I get off the the W.O.B. types that if we get a new manager in and spend a fortune on players everything will be better. If we had a fortune to spend on players don't you think we would just give that money to Wenger. He's said if he had £40m to spend he would buy Neymar. Therefore we don't have £40m to spend on one player, it's that simple! Liverpool spent £70m on a bunch of players Wenger wouldn't pay a tenner for and made zero progress out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It's tough to know what the story is at Arsenal. If he genuinely has millions and millions to spend and just won't spend it like because he's stubborn like some say, then time to go IMO. If it's case that he's working on tight budgets, then they'd be mad to get rid of him. The only other person that could even come close to Wenger atm is Klopp at Dortmund. And they're not going to get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

token101 wrote: »
    It's tough to know what the story is at Arsenal. If he genuinely has millions and millions to spend and just won't spend it like because he's stubborn like some say, then time to go IMO. If it's case that he's working on tight budgets, then they'd be mad to get rid of him. The only other person that could even come close to Wenger atm is Klopp at Dortmund. And they're not going to get him!

I reckon that the summer transfer window showed he doesn't have the cash to spread around. He spent in a panic (whether the panic was his or the boards) late when it became obvious that he was losing his top players, and he didn't spend much on replacements. I like Arteta, and think he's done really well, but no one looking at it before he came on board would think that he's a suitable replacement for what they lost. He was way cheaper, and he he is relatively speaking, older than an average Wenger signing. He can't be developed like a younger player, what you see is what you get.

Whatever else Wenger is, he's not stupid. He signed a cheaper serviceable but not excellent replacement because that's what he had the cash for. He didn't gamble on cheap but with potential. He bought the best player he could afford.*

*I may of course, be totally wrong.

• Advertisement

As far as I can tell there's no "need" for the pursestrings to be as tight as they seem but they're keeping it that way til the debt is paid down further. Just one of those choices, they could spend without making a loss but one bad season and suddenly they're broke for 3 or 4 years.

Who do you think Arsenal can replace him with? Someone that can get arsenal to finish above the 2 Manchester clubs on a fraction of the budget. I'm all ears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I reckon that the summer transfer window showed he doesn't have the cash to spread around. He spent in a panic (whether the panic was his or the boards) late when it became obvious that he was losing his top players, and he didn't spend much on replacements. I like Arteta, and think he's done really well, but no one looking at it before he came on board would think that he's a suitable replacement for what they lost. He was way cheaper, and he he is relatively speaking, older than an average Wenger signing. He can't be developed like a younger player, what you see is what you get.

Whatever else Wenger is, he's not stupid. He signed a cheaper serviceable but not excellent replacement because that's what he had the cash for. He didn't gamble on cheap but with potential. He bought the best player he could afford.*

*I may of course, be totally wrong.

Yep, I think a very assessment. Wenger did spend an estimate 80million but a lot of that money came from selling Cesc, Clichy and Nasri(est. 70 million).

He did buy more experienced players at a cheap price too.

mertesacker, Gervinho, Santos and Arteta.

Wenger did take a gamble on a young player Chamberlain and others from all over the world.

Us Gooners probably dont know how lucky we are with Wenger and constantly getting us top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Wenger out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Nay
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Wenger out.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

the question is worded in a way that the ''reasoned' posters will be out in force saying 'NO WAY CAN'T SACK Wenger' but he prob has run his course at Arsenal! Prob should just leave from his perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I just like to say my post was a joke at how everybody overreacts on this forum and in no way agree with that hazard fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Nay
    niallo27 wrote: »
    I just like to say my post was a joke at how everybody overreacts on this forum and in no way agree with that hazard fella.

I thought so, I just wanted to see if you would say cause they lost to QPR, and I was going to ask how you feel about Kenny. But it doesn't matter. You are beautiful.

It is time for Arsenal to show some commitment in the next transfer window.
    We still need a backup Defender, DMC &/or AMC and a Striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Only kidding :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

amiable wrote: »

:-)

Not an Arsenal fan, but when I saw this updated my instant reaction was; "Oh f*ck off".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

amiable wrote: »

Seen this thread bumped and was about to cause murder :pac:
    That put a tiny smile on my face though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

:-)

Not an Arsenal fan, but when I saw this updated my instant reaction was; "Oh f*ck off".

That was the plan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Looooooooooool. :pac:

How many more years are left in this thread I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What are Arsenal/the general conesus on where and how high Arsenal can/should be aiming for? If everyone of the opinion that they have no chance at winning a title and 3rd or 4th is the maximum they should be aiming for?

• Advertisement

Keep ticking over until our sponsorship deals are up [2014]; we should then at least have a decent wedge to build around the existing squad and hopefully get 11 solid players together for sustained challenge on all fronts. We haven't been a million miles away in recent years, combination of lack of quality cover and lack of bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

cson wrote: »
    Keep ticking over until our sponsorship deals are up [2014]; we should then at least have a decent wedge to build around the existing squad and hopefully get 11 solid players together for sustained challenge on all fronts. We haven't been a million miles away in recent years, combination of lack of quality cover and lack of bottle.

Confident Wenger will be able to make solid transfer to get 11 solid players, decent cover and instill some bottle into his team?

Confident Wenger will be able to make solid transfer to get 11 solid players, decent cover and instill some bottle into his team?

He deserves his chance once we finally get a decent financial platform to attempt to put that together. We've been a selling club for the last 5/6 years so hopefully a corner can be turned in that regard. I don't think its a coincidence that our most successful period of recent times - 2002-2005 came as a result of keeping the squad together and adding quality here and there. He owes the club nothing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Probably time this thread gets bumped.

I think tonight has turned A LOT of Wengers' supporters (the ones he had left) against him. A bit of a watershed moment when you lose to a league 2 team with a near full strength side, especially considering the run they've been on lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A defeat in the League Cup should not be the proverbial straw.

Plus, it's all well and good to be reactionary and want him to go but how many actually have well thought out points on who could come in the replace him and do a better job?

Wenger in for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement