Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Don't know about you guys but i think his time has come to an end.

The football Arsenal are playing is complete rubbish, this team that he has is not going to win anything for the foreseeable future.Just watching Sky here and look at the fantastic stadium, loyal supporters and the dearest seats to any soccer domestic fixture worldwide.

If fabregas has half a brain he will be out of there this summer. Last trophy in 2005 is shocking for a team which considers itself one of the best in Europe. To me they are a average mid-table team going nowhere fast, under this French misfit.

yeah lets go for Big Phil or Rijkard or...a couple of other managers that are on the dole. We need luck wiht injurys and a stronger bench. The day we du,p wenger is the day were back to the bruce rioch days...a lot of yet lads here dont remember what i was like before he came. I think a big centre half, with pace, and a top class 26 year old centre midfielder of defenisive nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The football Arsenal are playing is complete rubbish, this team that he has is not going to win anything for the foreseeable future.Just watching Sky here and look at the fantastic stadium, loyal supporters and the dearest seats to any soccer domestic fixture worldwide.

If fabregas has half a brain he will be out of there this summer. Last trophy in 2005 is shocking for a team which considers itself one of the best in Europe. To me they are a average mid-table team going nowhere fast, under this French misfit.

There was one reason they will never get rid of Wenger. Fabregas wouldn't even be at the club if it wasn't for Wenger. Neither would Walcott, Clichy, Denilson and upcoming stars like Ramsey, Vela, Merida. These players came to Arsenal because of Wenger's reputation for developing and allowing young players a chance in the first team early on. Fabregas and Merida would not have left Barcelona for Arsenal if not for Wenger. For this alone, he is essential to Arsenal. Look how valuable these players are to Arsenal and they got them for free (or very little money)! Many Arsenal players have pretty much said they would leave if Wenger left.

Secondly, Arsenal have very little money to spend yet they have managed to consistently remain in the top of the premier league and regulary reach the quarter finals of the champions league. Incredible achievement.

This season Fabregas, Walcott, Eduardo and Rosicky missed all or nearly all of the whole season. Imagine Man United lost Ronaldo, Rooney, Carrick and Scholes. Any team would suffer with that bad luck. To get to the last four of three major competitions is a great achievement.

That said, our football as being terrible at points this season, and the team is vastly inexperienced. Unfortunately with the funds we have available it is going to be difficult to improve on this. Why we have so little funds is an issue for the board and chairman, not Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay
    yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Ah yes, it's a pity we replaced Monsieur Patrick Vieira and Monsieur Thierry Henry with, eh, foreigners.

Actually can we just sticky this thread? That way whenever someone new with no understanding of Arsenal's situation wants to put words in Arsenal fans' mouths*, they can add their 2c to the thread and the rest of us can just ignore it?

*probably when they lose a match, rather than when they beat Utd or Chelsea, say.

Moe we understand Arsenal's situation, but when you sit down look at their squad they should be in the mix, injuries ( something is not right here ) aggression is none existant, passion they don't understand the word, somebody gets tackled hard Wenger runs to the media saying people are kicking his players to hard. Look the buck stops with the manager and i can see the fans voting with there feet next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

smemon wrote: »
    Arsenal just lack aggression. There was once a time when wenger would send his men out breaking legs and getting red cards all over the place.

And you believe that was a good way to go? Red cards, breaking legs? That's not football!!!!

These days the players just don't have the same bite and aggression. No vieiras or keowns to lead by example.
    No they don't, they are not getting paid like other players in the top 4. Take Ashley Cole when he left Arsenal... At the end of the day these players need to make as much money while they can. If a club offers them more to money then of course they'd leave.

Utd had the same problem with keane leaving but they adapted. Giggs and Scholes were once pivotal players in utd's midfield, but they too have been replaced - utd do not really miss them when they don't play anymore.
    Keane, Giggs and Scholes were 'part of the furniture' stable players who delivered for their club. The players adapt quickly to change, not the same for the Gunners though and i don't think Arsene is to blame.

Arsenal have never replaced vieira and they've failed to replace henry too... too many big characters gone and replaced with cheap foreign imports who lack passion and understanding of how the english game works.
    This is where i am confused, foreign imports? What do you mean by that? Henry and Viera are all foreign-no? As of 2007, i believe Arsenal was the only top PL club who made profit of 25million.

They need more quality english players and more experienced players at the top level.
    Biased a little bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

as a man united supporter i thought ud have more cop on...a couple of years ago the dogs were out for ferguson as well...look where ye are now.....
    lets hope ye dont have to start looking for a new keeper!!!..i think it took him a good few before he settled on pensioner van der sar..

Nay
    cson wrote: »
    God forbid it'd ever be the players that haven't performed. ;)

And whats the managers job??

Nay
    tred wrote: »
    as a man united supporter i thought ud have more cop on...a couple of years ago the dogs were out for ferguson as well...look where ye are now.....
    lets hope ye dont have to start looking for a new keeper!!!..i think it took him a good few before he settled on pensioner van der sar..

Yeah we went through a few dodgy keepers alright, but the trophy cabinet was kept full and healthy.

Yeah the dogs were out for Fergie but hey we progressed from that, we went forward not backwards, and try to blame everyone and its Granny along the way like the Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I made my mind up about Wenger when Flamini walked for free, any Manager worth his salt would have fought tooth and nail to keep him, do you think he would have been let walk out the door at Old Trafford?? I think not!!

As has been explained to you before on this thread Wenger's hands were tied in that situation. The board handle contract negotiations and wouldn't cough up the dough.
    I too doubt he would have been allowed leave Old Trafford. The United board would have paid him more.
    As i said before nobody fears Arsenal anymore and its Wenger that has done that nobody else.

And it was Wenger who made Arsenal a force in th Premier League to begin with. Wenger did that. Nobody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Moe we understand Arsenal's situation, but when you sit down look at their squad they should be in the mix, injuries ( something is not right here ) aggression is none existant, passion they don't understand the word, somebody gets tackled hard Wenger runs to the media saying people are kicking his players to hard. Look the buck stops with the manager and i can see the fans voting with there feet next year.

Pop quiz! Who said this?

“The systematic fouling on ____ is what is happening now,” ____ said. “It’s a tactic. One player fouls him, then another, then someone else. Eventually the referee thinks he’s diving all the time. He has got stud marks above his knee. It could have been serious, but fortunately it’s not.

p.s. the diving part may give it away:p

Nay
    As i said earlier the general consensus is that Wenger should stay, hopefully a few quid will come along and yes super sunday 4pm in the Emirates will be something to relish again. It would be nice to see Arsenal with a bit more aggression in games and it would be nice to see a fit squad for the best part of the season and really see has this current squad got what it takes.

Just hope we don't have the same conversation next May.

• Advertisement

Nay
    playa3 wrote: »
    Pop quiz! Who said this?

“The systematic fouling on ____ is what is happening now,” ____ said. “It’s a tactic. One player fouls him, then another, then someone else. Eventually the referee thinks he’s diving all the time. He has got stud marks above his knee. It could have been serious, but fortunately it’s not.

p.s. the diving part may give it away:p

Fergie about Ronaldo, and the day the cheating Portuguese number 7 leaves can not come soon enough. Off topic butjust answering your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Wenger is one of the top managers in the world - let him go - who would ye get? Keep Wenger and give him cash ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

what manager do you think would be able to turn the current Arsenal squad into title challengers? One's the realistically would go to arsenal in the summer if they did sack Wenger like you are suggesting.

As much better question would be: Is it time for Arsene Wenger to leave and find a club who are willing to match his ambition? I think he should unless Arsenal give him £30m+ this summer. Otherwise I'd love to see him at Real Madrid.

I would hate to see him at Real Madrid - no choice of what players to buy, trying to cram random players into a team, I think we would hate to be at Real Madrid. He likes having full control which he has because he was appointed in an era when that was common; he wouldn't get it at any other team right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

MIN2511 wrote: »
    And you believe that was a good way to go? Red cards, breaking legs? That's not football!!!!

Every great side has a nasty streak, with one or two explosive players at least. Not saying these sides are 'great' but chelsea have terry and ballack... drogba can explode... a bit like an herny or vieira could.

Liverpool have mascherano and gerrard. Utd have rooney. Arsenal have the footballing brains but don't have the muscle and passion which is what you need in england. That's why they can roll over continental sides with ease (because they are allowed play football).

Not only do they lack that english mentality when it's needed, but they don't have the quality to play like a barcelona do and expect to outscore opponents (which is the way wenger has them playing).
    This is where i am confused, foreign imports? What do you mean by that? Henry and Viera are all foreign-no? As of 2007, i believe Arsenal was the only top PL club who made profit of 25million.

Cheap foreign imports refers to players that are gambles and aren't tried and tested in england who wenger has gotten on the cheap. People will argue vieira and henry were unheard of when they came - true, but wenger could afford to blood them at that stage because they learned their trade from the bergkamps, adams, keowns of this world..

Who do the likes of walcott & gibbs have to look up to and learn from?
    Biased a little bit?

Not biased - arsenal need english players or at the very least players who can scrap and fight when required to (protecting leads / breaking up play).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Aidric i don't buy into this rubbish of not spending money, you want top quality players you have to pay for them.Why didn't they give Flamini the wages he wanted, he was a top player and was let walk out the door on a Bosman, if thats top class management well i don't know??

In fairness Flamini wasn't offered the money he wanted. The wage cap has been a problem with Arsenal but with that said his whole family lives in Milan and he has supported the team since he was a child as well...no doubt the extra wages was just an added bonus ;)
    And he has failed miserably.

Lol...eh it may seem like a while ago now but Arsenal have wont the premiership a couple of times!
    Chucky super post, i don't think he would be sacked but the ambition is not there you are dead right.

As for replacement, i think Mourinho would be back in the Premier League at the drop of a hat if a top job was available.

With the funds that Aresnal have? When he's used to Inter and Chelsea money...I doubt it somehow.

I just think it will be very interesting to see what Wenger does this summer. He seems to be giving his clearest indication yet that he is willing to bring in a couple of new experienced players. Lets hope he does, as even I can admit the last few matches have been very depressing to watch as an Arsenal fan. With that said he has been an amazing servant to Arsenal between himself and Pat :D two Arsenal legends!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If Wenger sticks his head in the sand again this summer and refuses to address the squad's obvious issues then I would be in favour of him getting the sack, yes.

It is true Arsenal are not flush with cash but the club is not poor either. There is money available to spend, this has been stated and restated countless times by the board and the annual figures released by the club also show this. Wenger refuses to spend it. Now this can be understandable given the debt hanging over the club but there is a balancing act - money saved by being tight on transfers can easily translate into money lost if the team isn't competitive enough, and for the most part the team has not been at the required level for quite some time now.

It seems popular amongst the Wenger apologists to shift blame onto 'the board' and to paint Wenger as a poor victim, struggling against all odds, but this is disingenuous. Wenger has vast power at the club - more than any other manager in Europe, even Ferguson. He has a big say in everything including, as suggested otherwise, wages... and the wage bill is enormous. If the club didn't pay such huge wages to unproven young players (brought in by Wenger) who aren't good enough, it might have more to spend on proven players. Anyone who says that isn't Wenger's policy is kidding themselves. Christ, when the club was hiring for a new CEO, PHW was talking about how Wenger would effectively have the key say on who the new man would be. ffs, the manager choosing the CEO? And you really think Wenger's hands were tied behind his back over the Flamini fiasco? What about the decision to sell Diarra for £5m at the same time, when he knew he'd be getting rid of Gilberto?

Wenger has huge ability as a manager but he's displaying some pretty huge faults too. The issues with the squad are not new ones but it seems like he's more interested in treating the club as his own vanity project than in actually sorting it out and winning things. Not only that but some of the decisions he's made in the run-in this season have been absolutely baffling and have back-fired horrifically. Fabregas a withdrawn striker, Nasri as a DM, Diaby back to the wing... and the timing to try out these things couldn't have been worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

This is just a knee jerk reaction. The loss of Clichy and Gallas as the season reached its climax was pivotal. The defence has fallen apart without them and this does point to the problem of lack of depth to the squad;the defence had looked very strong until their respective injuries.

He may actually buy English this close season the way the pound has dropped against the Euro, English based players will look better value than previously.

The provlem with the squad as a whole has nothing to do with its nationality though. it just needs a couple of strong characters who the younger lads can look up to, respect and learn from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Nay
    paul150 wrote: »
    erm new 60,000 seater stadium maybe?

A much larger revenue stream :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just home from work but I knew there would be a thread like this because everyone loves a good knee jerk reaction.

No, it is not time to go, when his contract is up in 2011 I expect those fans calling for his head now will be begging him to stay.

In Arsene we Trust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'm not exactly sure how much money Arsenal have to spend on transfers but it seems like it's been very limited and to build such a young and talented squad with seems to be very little money is remarkable.

I don't know why Arsenal fans are complaining. Wenger has been a breath of fresh air for English football. Two horrendous performances this week yes but on their day Arsenal are an absolutely unstoppable force.

Their squad is very short in numbers but season after season he's still giving Arsenal fans Champions League football year after year with what seems like the youngest squad in Europe.

If the money is there to buy top class players then he should definitely consider some new central defenders for a start.

I think he's a great manager and Arsenal won't ever find anyone like him again. He has to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Kippy i'm a Man Utd and 30 years old. The gap between Utd and yourselfs is ever growing its very simple to see that you are going nowhere. I used to like the Arsenal of old but this team doesn't look like a team of winners, they lack drive and don't seem to give a damn when they get thumped.

Don't forget Fergie built a winning team from kids back in the 90's and a few quid, it wasn't instant success or anything like it, but he has mantained the success and kept the ball rolling. With Wenger its the same season after season and i just don't see it changing, sometimes you have to be brave to be successful and he is just not the man to take the club forward. He has done as much as he is going to do and i don't see that changing.

Why would you be so scared of a change at the top, it would be nice to see Arsenal back in the mix in the next year or 2 don't you think so?
    Hi,
    I dont support ANY team in the premierleague, I just watch the matches, so lets get that out of the way.
    Fergies "Kids" were support by a number of players who at the time broke the british transfer fees as far as I remember (Keane being at least one, but I recall Cole and Yorke werent exactly cheap either, there were definetly more as well).
    Fergie has had his rough seasons as well and as of late has had cash heaped upon him to help him extend and maintain his current squad. Berba, Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves have cost more between them that Arsene has spent in a number of seasons, and two of those are squad players....
    Money talks at any level in soccer nowadays, Arsenal dont have as much as the teams above them yet pushed United last season for a time and have been injury ravaged this season.

You suggest that changing manager would have them back up there competing within two years. Not a chance. Remember when Fergie went to United, how long did it take him to start competing, or Rafa? The only one who started competing straight away in the recent past was Wenger (who I believe won a league and cup double in his first season) and Mourinho who had wads of cash to burn.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure how much money Arsenal have to spend on transfers but it seems like it's been very limited and to build such a young and talented squad with seems to be very little money is remarkable.
    There are more costs in running a football club than just transfers...
    I don't know why Arsenal fans are complaining. Wenger has been a breath of fresh air for English football. Two horrendous performances this week yes but on their day Arsenal are an absolutely unstoppable force.
    I suspect Arsenal fans are more concerned with what he does for Arsenal as opposed to English football. The stuff about Arsenal being an unstoppable force is rubbish. You can apply that sort of talk to Barca or United perhaps, but not Arsenal. We're generally pretty crap to watch these days and rarely blow anyone away.

Also, there have been a lot more than just two terrible performances this season. Even recently, there's been a lot more.
    Their squad is very short in numbers but season after season he's still giving Arsenal fans Champions League football year after year with what seems like the youngest squad in Europe.

If the money is there to buy top class players then he should definitely consider some new central defenders for a start.
    Hopefully, but his track record suggests he probably won't. Therein is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Nay
    To be fair Wenger inherited a great defence, since they've all retired there hasn't been a single world class defender at the club save for Gallas but he's coming to the end of his carer. With that squad he won't win anything and he seems to believe they will. I reckon Arsenal could struggle for 4th next year once Man City flex their financial muscles, not forgetting spurs and everton whom are looking strong too.
    Time to move on I think, He's a truly wonderful manager but I fear he has placed too much faith in this young side,plenty of skill but they lack that winning mentality

There are more costs in running a football club than just transfers...

Well I know that. I was talking specifically about how much he will be allowed to spend solely on bringing players in.
    I suspect Arsenal fans are more concerned with what he does for Arsenal as opposed to English football. The stuff about Arsenal being an unstoppable force is rubbish. You can apply that sort of talk to Barca or United perhaps, but not Arsenal. We're generally pretty crap to watch these days and rarely blow anyone away.

To be fair Arsenal on their day are up there with the best of them. That performance in the CL last season against AC Milan was breathtaking. It's just the lack of consistency is Arsenal's problem. Even though Barca and United sometimes play unattractive football they can still win ugly. It's not a reflection on Wenger. It's a reflection on the players who obviously are content with playing mediocre football at times especially now that they're in the qualifying for the CL next year.
    Also, there have been a lot more than just two terrible performances this season. Even recently, there's been a lot more.

I know there's been a couple of bad performances this entire season but the two this week in particular were bad.
    Hopefully, but his track record suggests he probably won't. Therein is the problem.

He knows the sort of criticism he gets so I think it's time to answer those critics and do what the fans want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsenal just lack aggression. There was once a time when wenger would send his men out breaking legs and getting red cards all over the place. .

We we all know how this board turned out when these things can happened. Cant please everyone........
    They need more quality english players and more experienced players at the top level.

They won the league in 2004 with one English player in Cashley Cole. It can be done.

• Advertisement

Jank and Mweelrea: Uh, Sol Campbell.

A balance needs to be addressed here.

The buck stops with Wenger. It has to. However, who would you replace him with. I said Jose but that is the only manager I would swap Wenger for and that is a big if as he would more than likely piss all over the board and want about 200 million to spend.

Nobody else could run a team on a shoe string and reach the last 4 of the CL and the top 4 of the league. Nobody else in the world can do that.

The squad has major flaws but they can be addressed. Now if Wenger addresses them I think it will make Arsenal into a force next year. If not then Wengers position has to be questioned.

Thing is the board is fine and happy with Wenger spending nothing, finishing in the top 4 and the club turns a healthy profit. Why would they sack him? Too many fans love him so there will never be a major push for him to go unless they do finish outside the CL places.

Groundhog day!!

It is like Arsenal are waiting for all other clubs to go bankrupt and then win the league on that virtue. It might work!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Sacking Wenger would be like killing Jesus. You'd never hear the end of it for a couple of thousand years ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Time for the Arsenal keeper to go ,he's terrible .

Latchy wrote: »

Yeah you should never get a professional wrestler to do your goalkeeping duties for you.

scotty.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Nay
    touche, But with the current defense winning any trophy's will be impossible

Jose would never go to Arsenal, tbh I'd like to see what David Moyes would do

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just 1 question, why is there no money??
    And where did i mention instant success?? i said the club is not progressing which is true.

People just don't seem to get it, Arsenal are rightly being prudent. At the moment the tv money is still flooding in but who is to say that this will continue. We have just had what people are describing as the worst recession since the 1930's and while we are certainly seeing signs of green shoots who know what lies ahead. The property market in the UK and particular London seems to be finding itself again but the money to be generated from the Highbury redevelopment will take a bit longer to come in due to the recession.

Arsenal have a philosophy of spending within their means i.e money generated from the footballing side of the business. Unlike other top clubs Arsenal debt relates to the stadium, the club have been lucky in that the move to The Emirates went so well they were in a position to extend the period of the loan meaning that less has to be paid back per year. Has anyone actually looked at our latest set of accounts? The club is in a healthy financial state and has spare cash sitting on their balance sheets which it will use for transfers if required by Arsene, the figure which I can't remember exactly is in the region of £30M, it could be more.

Arsenal signed Arshavin in Jan who has been a great signing, and we got him at an excellent price imo. I believe last summer we were very close to signing Alonso but when the Barry Liverpool transfer fell through so did the Alonso deal. We signed Nasri who will be a top top player imo, it is only his first season in England.

People don't seem to want to take into account the injuries we have had this season and yes we have been very unlucky, people will say well that is what your squad is for, but we have had several injuries at a time, not just a case of having one injury which you can live with, we finally get all our forward players back, what happens, we lose all our defenders.

Arsenal this season have secured yet another top four spot have reached the semi final of The FA Cup and the champions league now while that is not good enough for a side like Arsenal, I will take that.

Looking at the state of some of the big clubs debts, I'm more than happy at how Arsenal are being run and believe Arsene is the best man for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

There's so much wrong with this

My bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Time for the Arsenal keeper to go

Go where? The England national team? :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

This needs a poll.

60/40 in favour of Sir Arsene Wenger staying id say though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

FearDark wrote: »
    This needs a poll.

And a public poll at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Think Wenger is a fantastic manager but he also seems to have an aversion to spending big money.Did i once hear a quote from him in france saying he viewed coming 2nd to Marseille as some kind of moral victory?

Arsenals wage bill is higher than liverpools and equal with uniteds so attracting players shouldnt be a problem.

Wenger continually stresses that he does a good job for arsenal by making sure there is a profit for the club.But is that or should that be his main worry.

For all the talk of the exciting football and great kids and argument could be made that the football is barca lite and the kids arent that great.Which arsenal kid would you take over Rafael at united?

Why cant Wenger seem to buy a great Keeper or centre half.Players like Skertl,Vidic,Macherano etc were players Arsenal could have done with,yet they bought attacking players or Silvestre.

Maybe the money isnt there but where did the Arshavin and Walcott money come from.

Its unfair on the other managers to say that Arsenal play this amazing football and are so attacking.Liverpool have scored more and both they and United are far more pragmatic.

its all well and good people from other clubs commenting on Him but the fans at Arsenal seem to be putting more pressure than ever before on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

raven136 wrote: »
    Think Wenger is a fantastic manager but he also seems to have an aversion to spending big money.Did i once hear a quote from him in france saying he viewed coming 2nd to Marseille as some kind of moral victory?

That'd be the Marseille that cheated their way to a couple of leagues and a European Cup, so he's right in a way ;)

Galvasean wrote: »
    Go where? The England national team? :cool:
    How about the school for young wannabe goalkeepers ?

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    There's so much wrong with this
    I couldn't tell you what wrong with this but hang on ......yes maybe you look to deep into things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

FearDark wrote: »
    This needs a poll.

60/40 in favour of Sir Arsene Wenger staying id say though.
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    And a public poll at that.

boom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Thread should be - Should Wenger cop on and spend money and stop relying on kids?

No way he should be sacked, they have money, he must spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wenger's been one of the best managers Arsenal's ever had and one of the best top flight managers the Premiership has seen. Under Wenger, Arsenal have won the Premiership twice and have rarely been out of the top two.

The team may have been on a bad run of form in the last couple of seasons, this one being the worst, but there is a period of transition at play in the club.

The losses in midfield have been harsh and the defence could do with some strengthening (in mind and body). A new goalkeeper is essential too, as Almunia and Fabianski are simply not up to the job.

Arsenal's attack is fine, but their defence is awful.

In short, getting rid of Wenger would only compound Arsenal's problems, not solve them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Nay
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Wenger's been one of the best managers Arsenal's ever had and one of the best top flight managers the Premiership has seen. Under Wenger, Arsenal have won the Premiership twice and have rarely been out of the top two.

The team may have been on a bad run of form in the last couple of seasons, this one being the worst, but there is a period of transition at play in the club.

The losses in midfield have been harsh and the defence could do with some strengthening (in mind and body). A new goalkeeper is essential too, as Almunia and Fabianski are simply not up to the job.

Arsenal's attack is fine, but their defence is awful.

In short, getting rid of Wenger would only compound Arsenal's problems, not solve them.
    Which is why i hope he goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No

He should make a few quality acquisitions this summer. Arshavin has only showed a glimmer of what he can do, and he'll be in the Champs League next season too, so depending on what happens this summer (Adebayor leaving, etc), next year could be good for L'Arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Highsider wrote: »
    Which is why i hope he goes.

Utd fan, eh? :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely not. He is a couple of buys away from Arsenal being a top top side again. The summer is near, they have nothing to play for now. They just need to get this season over them and then start fresh next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Completely reactionary, as is always the case these days when you suffer back-to-back defeats. It's been a bad week, but before yesterday they were unbeaten in what, 22? Sometime in November?

Last season they took everyone by surprise and made a bit of a contest of the title. Losing Hleb and Flamini was big, and they need to be replaced. Signings like Nasri and Arshavin are steps in the right direction, he needs a few more. But leave? No.

Advertisement