Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Nay
    scruff321 wrote: »
    glad to see the vast majority of people know something about football, what wenger is doing for arsenal is completely different to any team in the premiership, he may be critised for lacking a bit of strength and depth aswell as lack of trophies for the last few years but when he makes one or two signings while the rest of the squad matures arsenal will be leathal.
    Thats true and i think that arsenal should keep him but don't ya say that every year this year they'll mature. I think you would of been challanging if it wasn't for your terrible injury list tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's actually hilarious how quickly people forget his performance at Old Trafford in the first leg, where he made some unreal stops to keep his team in the tie.

Yep. He's been excellent this season. Yes, he made a mistake last week but when you take into account his season overall it's been very, very good. Some people have hang up's about him from from a few seasons ago. He's improved dramatically since then. Improved a lot this year from last year even.

Probably Arsenal's player of the season.

There are positions in need of attention far more than goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well if you only watch the occasional match highlights you probably would think Almunia was a bad goalkeeper. 'Dur.. I only ever see him letting goals in'.
    Kind of reminds me of those people ho think Vidic is a bad defender because he had one bad game against Liverpool.
    Anyone who has been watching Arsenal matches in full this season can tell you that Almunia makes many terrific saves, while his blunder ratio is fairly low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The time to judge almunia is when he has a bould\adams\keown or campbell\toure\keown in front of him. Seaman and Jens were fantastic but theyd a pretty solid back 4 and vieira\petit\bert in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Kirnsy wrote: »

id like to know how many times arsenal have had a full squad to choose from minus rosicky?

This is all down to the manager, far too many injuries to be a coincidence over the years, their conditioning is not right.

And as i said earlier i put any money we will have this same conversation next year, Wenger has done what he can there its all getting a bit stale and boring, time to freshen things up and some new ideas.

Just reading back through the posts and Arsenal supporters seem to give him full support. Why are you so scared of a change??

That's bullsh!t and you know it. It's hardly Wenger's fault that Rosicky tore the muscle from his bone and that Taylor broke Eduardo's leg. Also plenty of injuries (esp RVP's) seem to happen on the international front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

But they have no money according to every supporter here?

Look guys keep Wenger keep your 4th place keep losing your stars year after year....all this is fact, keep paying huge money to watch rubbish, keep believing the board that there is no money, guys just keep believing because thats all you have.......i'm off now to plan a Premier league party a Champions League Final night out look at my pictures of the world club championship, European Cup, Premier league Trophy and yes all for half the price of a ticket to the Emirates to watch the nearly men and the maestro Wenger and an empty Trophy cabinet.

As you're clearly looking for someone to bite, I guess I should. How do you figure Man U is half the price of the Emirates? Or are you saying your celebration costs half the price of going to the Emirates ... or what?

Anyway, you're very clearly trolling at this point.
    But they have no money according to every supporter here?

I mean who's saying that Arsenal have no money? Seriously, you're either slightly retarded or just winding people up.
    keep believing the board that there is no money,

Again, when did the board say there's no money. You follow football so you know that's not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I can't believe this thread is still going - DON'T FEED THE TROLLS :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I'd love to give you an answer to that question but i can't, but what i do know is that Wenger has done all he can ( why can't you admit this ) its same crap different day with him.

Whats the worst that would happen with a new manager next year, 4th again with no trophies which will happen with Wenger.

A fresh approach, look to get more from some pretty special players, turf out all the dead weight and money sucking wasters 1 or 4 come to mind.

Arsenal with 1 or 2 signings have a Premiership winning team no doubt about it, but with Wengers tunnel vision its not gonna happen.

SO sack tha manger, bring in anybody, throw money at the situation and watch success follow.

Have you not paid attention to what keeps happening at the likes of Spurs, Newcastle and the like year in year out.

The worst that can happen is that if the board follow you example it will bankrupt the club! Under Wenger that will NEVER happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I personally believe that there isn't any money for Wenger to spend their at all. I think he just goes along with the boards lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

PHB wrote: »
    I personally believe that there isn't any money for Wenger to spend their at all. I think he just goes along with the boards lies.

Possibly but we have spare cash of approx £30m.

And if their is no money, what is the story with Arshavin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Possibly but we have spare cash of approx £30m.

And if their is no money, what is the story with Arshavin.
    Are you on the board or have you access to financial information of that level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm staying neutral but Wenger could stay their for another 10 years and he wouldn't be sacked. If he does leave it will be a mutual decision and he will work to bring in the next manager and then possibly stay there in some capacity.

kippy wrote: »
    Are you on the board or have you access to financial information of that level?

The accounts are freely available, you can google online, very detailed information available and gives a very good overall view of the club as a whole i.e. Arsenal Holdings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oh and one other thing, personally I believe that Arsenal are one DM and one CB away from challenging next year. They'll need Fabregas and Van Persie to stay injury free, and If they made those improvements, I'd probably put them on a par with Liverpool

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

People are also forgetting that the era of easy money for football clubs is over. Man City might be the exception for now.

Roman A wants out of Chelsea if media reports are to be believed. A clear out of players is almost inevitable.

The Glaziers judging by the rumors going around in the City of London want out of Man U as well. Loans with AIG will have to be re-negotiated and the elephant in the corner (huge interest payments) will come home to roost.

We don't even have to go on about the debacle of the hicks & co. fiasco at Liverpool. If they don't sell (which I believe they will) then the club is in very serious financial difficulties.

I don't have a clue whats going on in Arsenal but as far as i know Stan Kroenke will have a lot more say in the running of the club in the near future. Debts are there but it appears to be well managed... for now anyway.

Look at what is after happening to Setanta. Big TV money for the short to medium term wont be there after the current deal expires.

West Ham owner's is 300 million in debt.
    Newcastle relegated or not are fcuked.

Never mind the worst recession in Britain for 80 years, tax going up, unemployment to go up, sterling being weak, look at all the players leaving the English Rugby Premiership for France....

The list goes on.....

It would not be inconceivable to see that start of the new season beginning with the big 4 clubs having all new owners. You will definitely have one maybe 2.

Whats my point?

Football and sport in general is fickle.

One day your the champ, the next day you are the chump!

You never know when your time at the top is coming to an end. We all thought Arsenal would go on to dominate this decade after their unbeaten season but along came a certain Russian with bags of gold that changed everything.

Then we all thought that the Chelski reign would last forever and ever. Now it looks like the sun has set on this chapter. Will the sun rise to a new and glorious chapter or will Chelsea close the book and what has been its most successful and exciting period in its history and consolidate.

United are the indisputable top dogs now but Fergies days are numbered. I personally think that next season will be his last. He wants to beat Liverpool's title haul and get that 4 in a row to make history as no other club has done it.

What a way to bow out!! A legend for the ages.

When he goes it will be a shock decision not like the long and protracted version of 2001/2002.
    Enter Jose??

Who knows whats around the corner... thats why we love this curious game of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

great post jank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

yep, great post jank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay
    Well lads its about 7 months since i first posted this thread and so far everything i have said is correct. Thought it might be time to raise this thread again, after yesterdays drubbing by Chelski. Although according to Mr Wenger and his analisyis i must have been watching a different game.

There is no defending the indefendable he is starting to talk utter horses***e. Question should be is Wenger losing his marbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Well lads its about 7 months since i first posted this thread and so far everything i have said is correct. Thought it might be time to raise this thread again, after yesterdays drubbing by Chelski. Although according to Mr Wenger and his analisyis i must have been watching a different game.

There is no defending the indefendable he is starting to talk utter horses***e. Question should be is Wenger losing his marbles.

If there is one thing i truely detest on Boards, it is posters quoting their own posts to prove some prediction. A stopped clock is correct twice a day an all that!!
    As a Liverpool fan, yes i agree with you. I hope Wenger goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he's still your best bet.

easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They lost 3-0, not really a fair reflection as two of the goals were fortunate in my opinion. What about '01? 6-1 away to United? Should he have went then? Clearly not!

With all that Wenger has achieved, he's not going to (nor should he) lose/leave his job because Chelsea beat us. He has been immense for Arsenal and has made them the club they are today. I suppose in a way, people like you calling for his head because he hasn't won a trophy since '05 is a testament to what he has achieved.

There are some fantastic young players at the club who have very big futures ahead of them. Maybe a few big/established signings is all they need to start winning trophies again but, if the money isn't there (and I don't believe it is) to bring those players in, then he is the only man for the job.

Cop yourself on tbh. Kick him while he's down and all of that.

i agree that yesterday was indeed a drubbing and maybe a reality check. Wenger was obviously upset and pissed off after a very poor performance. I didnt see you question rafa's sanity when he unveiled his list of grievances at fergie? nor fergies when he lost the plot at wiley after the sunderland match?
    The point is in the heat of the moment especially after a crushing (and that is what it was) loss its incredible how managers keep their cool. i couldn't talk to anyone for hours after i was so low.

as for the resurrection of the thread. its november. yes chelsea are indeed the form team in the premiership and head and shoulders above everyone else. however all is not lost yet. Arsenal came into this match with confidence and there's a reason behind that. overall we've been decent this season. not great but brilliant in bursts. the dip in form is coincidental with the loss of Rvp, who is as crucial as Drogba is to Chelsea to the system at arsenal. Clearly eddie hasn't got the fitness/ability at the moment to spearhead the attack and the team is struggling to adapt to a different striker up front with a very different style.

Im not sure you are an arsenal supporter but i definitely am. and i even more definitely wont be calling for wenger's head. there are some excellent posts regarding wenger's legacy throughout this thread. that legacy still stands. yes things must change. an attitude shift, perhaps reinforcements in january. possibly a change in tactics to suit the strikers who we do have available, who cannot currently measure up to RvP. But to say right now that Wenger should be sacked is laughable. If we had won the match he would have been crowned a genius. while in all fairness we were beaten well, it'll be a measure of the team as to how they react.

Nay
    monkey9 wrote: »
    If there is one thing i truely detest on Boards, it is posters quoting their own posts to prove some prediction. A stopped clock is correct twice a day an all that!!
    As a Liverpool fan, yes i agree with you. I hope Wenger goes.

Aplogies Monkey i know where your coming from. When i first started the thread i got lashed out of it here, i don't know if you have read the previous 15 pages, everything from i don't know what i'm on about, to been reported for trolling.

It is sticking out a country mile that Arsenal are going nowhere under Wenger, they are not remotely close to winning anything yet again. Yeah they lost Van Persie and thats a massive blow, Walcott another massive blow but if he is the superb manager we are all led to believe wheres plan b.

Its all getting very stale and predictable with Arsenal, i wouldn't even put 50cent on them beating stoke the weekend. I think a pretty average manager could manage this pretty average team and still get the same results as Mr Wenger.

Cesc will leave next summer if they win nothing yet again, i would put my house on it. Money bags Madrid or Barca leading the way. Where will this leave Wenger.... i tell you where, with a massive headache and some very disgruntled Gunner Fans that will be with out a trophy in 5 years. Can also see Van Persie packing his bags if Cesc goes if he recovers from that horrendous injury he suffered with Holland.

Its all getting very stale and predictable with Arsenal, i wouldn't even put 50cent on them beating stoke the weekend. I think a pretty average manager could manage this pretty average team and still get the same results as Mr Wenger.

You obviously don't watch Arsenal much.

Nay
    Cop yourself on tbh. Kick him while he's down and all of that.

Original Post was the guts of 7 months ago, so nothing to do with kicking anyone when they are down.

Original Post was the guts of 7 months ago, so nothing to do with kicking anyone when they are down.

i know that.

i was referring to your quote "losing his marbles" etc.

:confused:

Original post was after United knocked us out of the champions league, this post is after Chelsea beat us 3-0 at home. Am I missing something?

i love knee-jerk reactions to every defeat.

it's awesome.

Nay
    You obviously don't watch Arsenal much.

Watched them yesterday and the last time before that was Sunderland and the time before that Man u.....maybe i should stop watching them, might actually win a game

Nay
    jasonorr wrote: »
    :confused:

Original post was after United knocked us out of the champions league, this post is after Chelsea beat us 3-0 at home. Am I missing something?

You missed 15 pages of me predicting exactly what is happening.

• Advertisement

i know that.

funny you didn't refer to any of the rest of my quote. did you read past the first sentence? or are you just looking to wind people up.

In fairness its a very debatable topic but if you are merely trying to bad mouth wenger and throw out ridiculous comments you are going to end up looking trollish.

Watched them yesterday and the last time before that was Sunderland and the time before that Man u.....maybe i should stop watching them, might actually win a game

A fan who's watched them 3 times in 18 games, or is that the United game last May???

Nay
    i know that.

Sorry Kirnsy you obviously didn't hear the tripe that was spewing from his gob after yesterdays drubbing......drogba and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I couldn't be arsed reading the previous 15 page but I've probably said this before,

Who would you replace him with?

There are thousands of you.There is only one Arsene Wenger.Sing it.

Nay
    jasonorr wrote: »
    A fan who's watched them 3 times in 18 games, or is that the United game last May???

Far from an Arsenal fan my good man, i wouldn't be foolish enough to pay that sort of money to watch that sort of football. Last time i checked they were the most expensive tickets in the World for a Domestic soccer match.

Aplogies Monkey i know where your coming from. When i first started the thread i got lashed out of it here, i don't know if you have read the previous 15 pages, everything from i don't know what i'm on about, to been reported for trolling.

It is sticking out a country mile that Arsenal are going nowhere under Wenger, they are not remotely close to winning anything yet again. Yeah they lost Van Persie and thats a massive blow, Walcott another massive blow but if he is the superb manager we are all led to believe wheres plan b.

Cesc will leave next summer if they win nothing yet again, i would put my house on it. Money bags Madrid or Barca leading the way. Where will this leave Wenger.... i tell you where, with a massive headache and some very disgruntled Gunner Fans that will be with out a trophy in 5 years. Can also see Van Persie packing his bags if Cesc goes if he recovers from that horrendous injury he suffered with Holland.

No, i haven't read the previous posts and have only seen this thread for the first time tonight!!!

My opinion is thus (and i know Wenger has won more than Rafa)...only when Wenger and Benitez leave their respective clubs will it come apparent of how f*cking brilliant they did there!!!

Nay
    I couldn't be arsed reading the previous 15 page but I've probably said this before,

Who would you replace him with?

There are thousands of you.There is only one Arsene Wenger.Sing it.

Million Dollar question isn't it...i feel there is plenty of Managers out there that would get more from that group of players than what he is. Thing that worrys me everytime when i see Arsenal get thumped is the players don't seem that bothered, with the exception of Gallas up at Brummie last year, where he made a complete tit of himself.

And when players don't give a monkeys it is worrying. But as i said 100 times before, if you as Arsenal fans are happy with 4th or 5th then i'm delighted for you, if you want to raise your hopes a bit i think a change would do you wonders.

As a Man u fan as long as Wenger stays i will be happy, 1 less team to worry about.

Far from an Arsenal fan my good man, i wouldn't be foolish enough to pay that sort of money to watch that sort of football. Last time i checked they were the most expensive tickets in the World for a Domestic soccer match.

Ah here, you have to be taking be p!ss!

Honestly, what's your point here?? That Wenger should go? Explain why? Then suggest someone else to take over and again, explain why?

Nay
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah here, you have to be taking be p!ss!

Honestly, what's your point here?? That Wenger should go? Explain why? Then suggest someone else to take over and again, explain why?

No Monkey thats fact man.

Monkey assuming your an Arsenal fan a question for you...Do you feel Arsenal are making any progress with Wenger? If so can you show me some evidence of this progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Million Dollar question isn't it...i feel there is plenty of Managers out there that would get more from that group of players than what he is. Thing that worrys me everytime when i see Arsenal get thumped is the players don't seem that bothered, with the exception of Gallas up at Brummie last year, where he made a complete tit of himself.

And when players don't give a monkeys it is worrying. But as i said 100 times before, if you as Arsenal fans are happy with 4th or 5th then i'm delighted for you, if you want to raise your hopes a bit i think a change would do you wonders.

As a Man u fan as long as Wenger stays i will be happy, 1 less team to worry about.

You are simply wishful and wrong.Stretch them neck muscles.You are going to spend a long time looking up.

And worth every single penny.

Fair enough.

I certainly enjoy watching them play, I have no problems paying ~€60 to see them play either. It's rare that they don't play good football, so I don't know what you're getting at and I'd much rather be watching us than what I've seen of United this season regardless of what it wins either teams.

Nay
    funny you didn't refer to any of the rest of my quote. did you read past the first sentence? or are you just looking to wind people up.

In fairness its a very debatable topic but if you are merely trying to bad mouth wenger and throw out ridiculous comments you are going to end up looking trollish.

Kirnsy if its a debatable topic then debate it, i'm not trying to be trollish or slander Wenger.

My points may not come across on a computer screen as good as in person but i'm trying my best.

What i'm trying to get at is......Progress?? If Arsenal win nothing this year will Cesc and Robin walk?? 5 Years without a trophy is a long time in present day football, how long is it going to be allowed to continue?? Why are Arsenal fans happy with 2nd best constantly??

Million Dollar question isn't it...i feel there is plenty of Managers out there that would get more from that group of players than what he is.

ha. you're having a laugh?

i love these throwaway statements.

who?

and who were half those players before Wenger?

'plenty of managers can get more from that group of players' my hole. he made the majority of them into what they are today ffs.

double ha.

Fergie himself, correct me if i'm wrong, is on record as saying Wenger is his greatest ever adversary in the PL. i think the only worldwide manager he holds in higher regard is Lippi.

as long as Wenger's there, Fergie will count Arsenal as one of their great rivals.

Kirnsy if its a debatable topic then debate it, i'm not trying to be trollish or slander Wenger.

My points may not come across on a computer screen as good as in person but i'm trying my best.

What i'm trying to get at is......Progress?? If Arsenal win nothing this year will Cesc and Robin walk?? 5 Years without a trophy is a long time in present day football, how long is it going to be allowed to continue?? Why are Arsenal fans happy with 2nd best constantly??

How can you debate something when you don't even watch the team play :confused:

• Advertisement

Nay
    How can you debate something when you don't even watch the team play :confused:

Ahh i give up, sorry i don't have the prvilage of watching them live every week unlike yourself, i watch them when they are live on the box and MOTD. Very very clanish around here isn't it.

Do you know whats even more suprising....Not 1 of my questions Answered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It is nowhere near time for Wenger to go.

There is no manager out there that can do what he does.

If it wasn't for him where would Arsenal be today? Fighting for a Europa league spot, maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The fact that this question is even being asked is a sad indictment on the 'modern' football fan.

No Monkey thats fact man.

Monkey assuming your an Arsenal fan a question for you...Do you feel Arsenal are making any progress with Wenger? If so can you show me some evidence of this progress?

Nope, i'm not an Arsenal fan!!! But if they did get rid of Wenger, i think they would drop down the league!!

Who do you support out of interest?

Ahh i give up, sorry i don't have the prvilage of watching them live every week unlike yourself, i watch them when they are live on the box and MOTD. Very very clanish around here isn't it.

Not clanish at all, but how can you have a proper debate when you don't see a team play.

• Advertisement
Advertisement