Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Ahh i give up, sorry i don't have the prvilage of watching them live every week unlike yourself, i watch them when they are live on the box and MOTD. Very very clanish around here isn't it.

i'm no arsenal fan.

you're putting out random statements, people are challenging them. that's what these boards are for.

you may think wenger has take the team as far as it can go. fine. but give a viable alternative. because if you don't, it looks a bit of a foolish statement on your part. because then why would you get rid of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

5 Years without a trophy is a long time in present day football, how long is it going to be allowed to continue?? Why are Arsenal fans happy with 2nd best constantly??

Because there are a thousand teams that wish they coud be second best maybe?

Hard to believe a Man U fan would sh*t stir so much.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Out of interest pokerface who do you think could replace Wenger?

I honestly can't think of any manager I'd like to see at the helm instead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nay
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Not clanish at all, but how can you have a proper debate when you don't see a team play.

Already answered your question openroad, i don't have the prevlidge you have of watching every game live as i assume you do considering you've asked me the same question twice

Already answered your question

could you then answer the other one that's been asked several times?

who would you replace wenger with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

What manager would do a better job, given the obvious financial limitations at Arsenal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Already answered your question openroad, i don't have the prevlidge you have of watching every game live as i assume you do considering you've asked me the same question twice

Then I think you should rephrase your points, you can't come out with stuff like " average team"

Arsenal on there day are playing some of the best football I have ever seen, I would settle for that and no trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pokerface, who do you support?

If you believe Wenger should go, fair enough. But c'mon, back it up with suggestions and why. Cos i think, if Wenger walks, then Arsenal are screwed!!!

Then I think you should rephrase your points, you can't come out with stuff like " average team"

Arsenal on there day are playing some of the best football I have ever seen, I would settle for that and no trophy.

I'd prefer trophies...but having lived through the 80s when Brian Talbot was our star player...I'd live with hope and enjoy the football with relish...........better than supporting Spurs any day...who wants to give up in November?

Nay
    No probs guys drop the subject delete the thread even lock it. Sorry i'm not as PC as the rest of you and comments just don't look right on a computer screen. As i said no questions answered and extremely unfreindly forum, you can't have a debate about something because you haven't seen every minute of everygame. Always thought boards was a very usefull resource, but will give the Soccer section a miss from now on.

As said sorry for not been PC friendly but i did try.

MODS please delete thread.

• Advertisement

monkey9 wrote: »
    Pokerface, who do you support?

If you believe Wenger should go, fair enough. But c'mon, back it up with suggestions and why. Cos i think, if Wenger walks, then Arsenal are screwed!!!

he's already said he's a united fan.

i'm saying nothing...

No probs guys drop the subject delete the thread even lock it. Sorry i'm not as PC as the rest of you and comments just don't look right on a computer screen. As i said no questions answered and extremely unfreindly forum, you can't have a debate about something because you haven't seen every minute of everygame. Always thought boards was a very usefull resource, but will give the Soccer section a miss from now on.

don't act the victim.

people have engaged and you won't answer the questions that come from your statement.

you're the one that won't debate.

you're picking on one comment that openroad made, and ignored the predominant question that's being asked by everyone else.

You still haven't bothered to answer the one question that's been asked of you several times.

Who would you replace Wenger with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

You have seen Arsenal play 3 times and then say that they are an average team who don't play good football, this is what people are taking issue with!!! You're making sweeping statements that don't make any sense!

Frisbee wrote: »
    You still haven't bothered to answer the one question that's been asked of you several times.

Who would you replace Wenger with?

It's Fergie.....because he so desperately wants to support Arsenal.Poor ba*tard.

Nay
    SlickRic wrote: »
    don't act the victim.

people have engaged and you won't answer the questions that come from your statement.

Sorry Ric not acting the victim man i've answered questions.....questions i've asked remain unanswered and told i couldn't engage in a debate because i haven't seen every game. Its no skin of my back just shocked at how un friendly it is for someone with limited computer experience( suppose you will want evidence of that to). Suppose just check the spelling.

MODS please delete thread

Kirnsy if its a debatable topic then debate it, i'm not trying to be trollish or slander Wenger.

My points may not come across on a computer screen as good as in person but i'm trying my best.

What i'm trying to get at is......Progress?? If Arsenal win nothing this year will Cesc and Robin walk?? 5 Years without a trophy is a long time in present day football, how long is it going to be allowed to continue?? Why are Arsenal fans happy with 2nd best constantly??

Fair enough :)

But you are wrong imo.

Firstly Arsenal have only lost three games this season. Secondly they are playing probably the best football on their day in the premiership. Thirdly the club from the very top down are being realistic when it comes to to the financial situation, we have moved to a fantastic new stadium, which Arsene played a huge part in and the club are being run in a very prudent manner hence why the club will not engage in stupid transfer fess for players.

Yet still Arsenal are able to consistently qualify for the CL and the later rounds of the compeition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

questions i've asked remain unanswered and told i couldn't engage in a debate because i haven't seen every game.

Ah, this thread has given me a good laugh.

what do you want answered?

then we can both answer together, with you answering who you'll replace wenger with.

then we'll all be happy.

• Advertisement

Firstly Arsenal have only lost three games this season.

Four

United, City, Sunderland, Chelsea

Ah for f*ck sake, debate the point you're trying to make!!

If you think Wenger should go, fair enough! Just say why and we'll take it from there!!

Four

United, City, Sunderland, Chelsea

Forgot Sunderland

Forgot Sunderland

I wish I could too

I wish I could too

At least you's weren't playing a fecking beachball as well!!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    At least you's weren't playing a fecking beachball as well!!!

That's true, we still lost to a terrible goal (because we can't defend set-pieces).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Arsenal on a good day are a delight to watch, this season, no exclusion - I'd rather watch them play than Man Utd - having said that, they don't have the same ability to grind out a result on a wet Wednesday up north, unlike United have, which is their downfall. It's not losing against the likes of Chelsea that kills off a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

Arsenal on a good day are a delight to watch, this season, no exclusion - I'd rather watch them play than Man Utd - having said that, they don't have the same ability to grind out a result on a wet Wednesday up north, unlike United have, which is their downfall. It's not losing against the likes of Chelsea that kills off a season.

u took the words outa my mouth! thats what i hate about united, they always seem to win when they play shit.. but i agree that arsenal are still a great team to watch. wenger hasnt won anything since 2005 and rafa benitez hasnt won nethin since 2006.

It doesnt seem right that rafa is under greater pressure than wenger to win trophies, well it seems that way to me anyway. its probly time for arsenal to change things up a bit, but i would wait till summer

u took the words outa my mouth! thats what i hate about united, they always seem to win when they play shit.. but i agree that arsenal are still a great team to watch. wenger hasnt won anything since 2005 and rafa benitez hasnt won nethin since 2006.

It doesnt seem right that rafa is under greater pressure than wenger to win trophies, well it seems that way to me anyway. its probly time for arsenal to change things up a bit, but i would wait till summer

Too tired to make my argument but, I'll make it brief: sexy football, first double in 27 years, first league in 7 years, sexy football, another double 4 years later, sexy football, unbeaten season, sexy football, new stadium, sexy football, first champions league final, sexy football, longest serving manager, sexy football, most successful manager, sexy football, minimal spending, did I say sexy football? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

jasonorr wrote: »
    Too tired to make my argument but, I'll make it brief: sexy football, first double in 27 years, first league in 7 years, sexy football, another double 4 years later, sexy football, unbeaten season, sexy football, new stadium, sexy football, first champions league final, sexy football, longest serving manager, sexy football, most successful manager, sexy football, minimal spending, did I say sexy football? :D

Could have been briefer! Anyhow - there's threads on should Rafa / Wenger go & Chelsea don't even give you time to answer.. "Should Abramovic go?".. "Ehm... I think" - TOO LATE, he's gone!

I think the real question is - should Fergie retire?!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

I think this is a bumped thread, not bothered checking, but no and lol what a moany fecker he is, legendary manager kinda though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Don't know about you guys but i think his time has come to an end.

The football Arsenal are playing is complete rubbish, this team that he has is not going to win anything for the foreseeable future.Just watching Sky here and look at the fantastic stadium, loyal supporters and the dearest seats to any soccer domestic fixture worldwide.

If fabregas has half a brain he will be out of there this summer. Last trophy in 2005 is shocking for a team which considers itself one of the best in Europe. To me they are a average mid-table team going nowhere fast, under this French misfit.
    Two threads now devoted to managers of "top four" teams. You have to wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Nah, you cant get rid of Arsene, sure he hasnt won any trophies in the last 4 years and looking at his players you should think they should have won something, kind of reminds me of Dave O'Leary and him going on about how his kids would come good, well they did come good but O'Leary was gone and they were all sold.

Dont expect Wenger to get the chop, he will walk or retire before that, I can imagine the Arsenal fans want some success to go with there brand of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cant believe how many people have taken the bait on this thread, also really there should be some sort of IQ screening for owning a computer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

i don't think he should go. i do think he should be under the same pressure as rafa if not more tho. that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He went up in my estimation given what he said after the WC Play-Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Two threads now devoted to managers of "top four" teams. You have to wonder.

I only see one. :)

I only see one. :)
    Pool are a top four team in terms of their co-efficient. And i expect them to finish in top four this year as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nay
    If Rafa is living off 2005/06 (with some goodwill banked from last seasons tally) then Wenger is clearly doing likewise. As with Rafa at some point someone will say "you know this fella is treading water" and Arsenal can afford to sack Arsene.

mike65 wrote: »
    If Rafa is living off 2005/06 (with some goodwill banked from last seasons tally) then Wenger is clearly doing likewise. As with Rafa at some point someone will say "you know this fella is treading water" and Arsenal can afford to sack Arsene.
    I think Arsene will go when it is time for him to go. Great managers should never be sacked. He has done so much for that club and he was unlucky with the Van Persie situation which he is still very annoyed about.

Pool are a top four team in terms of their co-efficient. And i expect them to finish in top four this year as well

:o

mate, he's just having a joke.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

In what way? No other manager could keep us in the champions league on his budget. We came close to the league and the champions league since 2005 but, were just very unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Nay
    Maybe those Evertonians afraid Moyes will walk have found where there managers future ly's

Wenger's image as someone who doesnt like to spend is well documented but in the last year we've made some big signings

Nasri - 11.5 million
    Arshavin - Undisclosed, rumoured to be in the vicinity of 13-15 million
    Vermaelen - 10 Million

And Nasri and Vermaelen where rlative unknowns/unproven when they were bought.

Although all that outlay was recovered by selling Toure and Adebayor I guess...

Wenger's image as someone who doesnt like to spend is well documented but in the last year we've made some big signings

Nasri - 11.5 million
    Arshavin - Undisclosed, rumoured to be in the vicinity of 13-15 million
    Vermaelen - 10 Million

And Nasri and Vermaelen where rlative unknowns/unproven when they were bought.

Although all that outlay was recovered by selling Toure and Adebayor I guess...

True but, since summer 2004 he's made a net profit of ~£15m.

jasonorr wrote: »
    True but, since summer 2004 he's made a net profit of ~£15m.

Which, when you consider we've moved to a new stadium and the debacle that was Highbury Square (which seems to be recovering slightly now), is some ****ing achievement.

As long as we can keep the team together and bring in one or two fresh faces over the next two years I can see the trophies starting to roll in.

But if we continue the trend of losing one or two integral squad members in the summer we're just going to be stuck in this endless cycle of rebuilding squads.

But if we continue the trend of losing one or two integral squad members in the summer we're just going to be stuck in this endless cycle of rebuilding squads.

That has had a major impact on our progression, but my lord what twats some of those players were!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger out!

Brown in!

... the youth policy has to go soon though 'cos we're never going to get anywhere with it. I accept that it is a necessary evil due to the building of the Emirates, but the financial info seems to indicate that we're starting to get clear of its shadow so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,393 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Which, when you consider we've moved to a new stadium and the debacle that was Highbury Square (which seems to be recovering slightly now), is some ****ing achievement.

As long as we can keep the team together and bring in one or two fresh faces over the next two years I can see the trophies starting to roll in.

what impact does property not selling and the move to the Emirittes have on Wenger making a profit in the transfer market? Surely it would be more likely for him to make a profit if cash is short?

I don't see how making a 15million profit is a great achievement on the back of the Highbury move stuff (it is a remarkable achievement in its own right, don't get me wrong, but i don't see how the highbury stuff makes it any better)

[sarcasm]Wenger out!

Brown in!

... the youth policy has to go soon though 'cos we're never going to get anywhere with it. I accept that it is a necessary evil due to the building of the Emirates, but the financial info seems to indicate that we're starting to get clear of its shadow so...[/sarcasm]

FYP!

I hope! :eek: :D

• Advertisement

what impact does property not selling and the move to the Emirittes have on Wenger making a profit in the transfer market? Surely it would be more likely for him to make a profit if cash is short?

I don't see how making a 15million profit is a great achievement on the back of the Highbury move stuff (it is a remarkable achievement in its own right, don't get me wrong, but i don't see how the highbury stuff makes it any better)

It makes it more necessary you would think but, then again the directors are always saying that we have loads of money to spend and that the developments are separate from the football side of things. Not that I believe a word the board say any more.

Advertisement