Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE8 browser sluggish?

• 10-05-2009 6:44pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Upgraded from IE7 to IE8 as one of the browsers I use to access the web, in addition to FF3.0. Has anyone noticed how sluggish IE8 can occasionally be when loading something simple like Google, when compared to FF3.0 that accesses Google fast? Has Microsoft once again released a flawed product, or should I uninstall and reinstall IE8?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Running it in a VM but, yes, also see the sluggishness. It seems fairly quick at the actual page rendering but launching IE8, opening a new tab or other program operations are noticeably slower than IE7 or other browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

Upgraded from IE7 to IE8 as one of the browsers I use to access the web, in addition to FF3.0. Has anyone noticed how sluggish IE8 can occasionally be when loading something simple like Google, when compared to FF3.0 that accesses Google fast? Has Microsoft once again released a flawed product, or should I uninstall and reinstall IE8?

Yea same problem just downloaded it yesterday and I already hate it. I think I will just use Firefox, had it before and it was great but since I got a new laptop havnt got around to Downloading it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 feranm_ie8team

Hi, my name’s Feran and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to provide assistance and help answer questions folks might have about Internet Explorer.
    If you are having issues with IE8 speed, you may want to try uninstalling then reinstalling it or you may want to try managing your add-ons. In IE8 go to tools and manage add-ons. Disabling any unnecessary add-ons may help your Internet run faster. Both of these options have helped others in similar situations.
    I hope this helps,
    Feran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Omg a microsoft spy !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

What he says though is spot on really. My IE8 opens Google instantly, no sluggishness at all.

I use Firefox though 99% of the time but I have to say I like IE 8 better than the previous versions. Still, not enough to make me switch back to it from firefox but it is an improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Hi, my name’s Feran and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to provide assistance and help answer questions folks might have about Internet Explorer.
    If you are having issues with IE8 speed, you may want to try uninstalling then reinstalling it or you may want to try managing your add-ons. In IE8 go to tools and manage add-ons. Disabling any unnecessary add-ons may help your Internet run faster. Both of these options have helped others in similar situations.
    I hope this helps,
    Feran

Can you explain whats broken that doing the above fixes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 lydabryant

Use Firefox or Google Chrome instead... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I hope this helps,
    Feran

How come firefox can run well with tons of addons?

Is IE8 ****? I wont tell Bill.

Hi, my name’s Feran and I’m working with the Internet Explorer Outreach Team to provide assistance and help answer questions folks might have about Internet Explorer....

If you put favorites in the "links" folder they don't appear sorted by name. IE7 does this fine. Hope they fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

lydabryant wrote: »
    Use Firefox or Google Chrome instead... :cool:

What is it with people who insist on posting in every thread about help with Internet Explorer with the really helpful suggestions of;
    "use firefox" or
    "use Chrome"

If someone posts in Motors saying "Hey, my Honda is running a bit slow" we don't see many "hmmm, drive a different car" suggestions do we. Why? Because that's got nothing to do with what was asked and it doesn't solve the problem.

If that's all you can suggest then don't bother

You use firefox or something else? Wow, you're clever and really know a lot more about the world then everyone else, but you really don't need to educate the masses. You're not the Jesus of web-browsers and you don't need to "spread the word"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Sleipnir wrote: »
    If someone posts in Motors saying "Hey, my Honda is running a bit slow" we don't see many "hmmm, drive a different car" suggestions do we. Why? Because that's got nothing to do with what was asked and it doesn't solve the problem.
    If someone responded saying, "Here's a car you can have for free which is faster, safer and more reliable.", I certainly couldn't see the OP complaining ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

IE is also free, and I've found IE7 to be more reliable than Firefox 3.0. Worst incarnation of firefox yet! Consistantly giving me trouble on various different machines. Chrome isn't as good as Opera as an alternative.
    So in conclusion, IE7 is fine. IE8 is slow, don't know why it installs as default with all the add-on's running. They should be enabled at users discretion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I downloaded IE8 when they pushed it through the autoupdates a few weeks back (on Vista).
    It has one horrible flaw that may force me to return to IE7. Sometimes, when you open a new tab it will just have the spinning loading circle and never load.
    My "fix" for it is to keep opening the link in new tabs to get a live one.
    It's a known issue you can see from googling so it boogles the mind as to why this huge flaw hasn't been fixed yet.

As for sluggishness, I haven't noticed any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I am having a lot of trouble with IE8 which I never had with IE7. One mentioned already is the spinning circles and pages failing to load. Another is IE8 just freezing and I have to shut down the site I'm on. It's also slower than 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jinxleprechaun

Hi

I have upgraded (ha ha) from IE7 to IE8 yesterday and since then my internet browser has ground to a slowdown. The delay is evident even typing this message as I have to wait for the system to catch up. Why I should have to try identify add on issues etc when they worked fine with the previous version I have no idea.

I'm far from impressed with this improvement :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

My PC is far from cutting edge (maybe 6 years ago it was), but I've noticed no sluggishness with IE8, and it starts up pretty quickly too, not as fast as Opera, but faster than I remember FF used to. No issues opening additional tabs either. Running on XP with all updates and patches. I do run a lean machine though, and keep it that way. No gimicky rubbish installed either on the PC or as add-ons to the browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/03/11/ie8-and-loosely-coupled-ie-lcie.aspx

This might explain some latency as it's seems to suggest that more memory is being used, check out your processes to see.

21/25

Hey everyone – here’s a good resource that may help many of you: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/44681.aspx
    Boston, I organize my favorites in folders – so far it has worked well and is easy to locate what I am looking for…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I've always been a fan of IE over FF or any other browser, so i was expecting good things from the new IE8... How wrong was i? Its a steaming pile of ****, that once again was not tested properly before launchign it to the public. Even though i hate firefox, im going back to it.

Anti,
    What kinds of problems/issues were you having in IE8? Maybe I can help you fix them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Anti,
    What kinds of problems/issues were you having in IE8? Maybe I can help you fix them?
    If you are actually on the IE8 team and are looking for something to do, why don't you fix the tab timing out issue? By this I mean, some times when you open a new tab it simply will not work. You can change the url it's loading and it still won't work. You can open new tabs and they will work (unless they get hit by the same bug).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

IE8 (along with every other version of IE, should be banned from every machine. Its absolutely terrible, the amount of stupid and pointless security pop ups is extremely annoying) also being a web developer, I hate IE full stop. Use Google Chrome, its much better than anything else at the moment (yes even firefox. Takes a month to start :mad:)

@Mr Microsoft Spy, MS don't know how to create a good browser. They should just stop wasting their time and money and also consumers time and patience!

IE8 suffers from alignment issues similar to those found in IE6 & 7 and also lightbox doesnt give a background in IE8!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Oh actually Ive a good way of repairing IE.

1. Download Google Chrome
    2 Open programs and features
    3. Click on IE8 and hit "Uninstall"
    4. Restart machine and use Chrome! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

yupyup7up wrote: »
    Oh actually Ive a good way of repairing IE.

1. Download Google Chrome
    2 Open programs and features
    3. Click on IE8 and hit "Uninstall"
    4. Restart machine and use Chrome! :D

You can't uninstall IE entirely, although microsoft are forced to have to provide a option to disable it when Windows 7 ships, a update will role out for XP & Vista to provide this aswell at this time afaik, Never liked Chrome though :( Probably because there is no extension support, Firefox on the other hand can have much more functionality with aid from extensions, Ad block, IETab, Greasemonkey, AutoPager to name a few :pac:

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I like most other people hate IE...and Microsoft in general...with a passion. I've been using IE8 for a while and am consistently having a problem with my Favorites Subfolders.

If I use site from a subfolder, after a while that subfolder refuses to open when I hover on it. I keep having to open a new tab and view the site from there, but after a while the same thing happens to it too. I did contact Microsoft Support about it, and they lead me through a series of steps in Options, etc, which I can't remember anymore. It worked for a while but it's now back worse than ever.

Microsoft you're a bunch ot tw4ts, plain and simple. Have you ever launched a program that WASN'T full of bugs?

has anyone?

Advertisement