Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Chicken Soup?!

Options
  • 10-05-2009 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I really want a nice traditional recipe for chicken soup... one that's not too thick but not a consommé either! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I don't know about traditional, but here is what I make.

Finely chop 2-3 carrots, 2 onions, 2-3 sticks of celery, 5 cloves of garlic and 1 large potato (cubed). Fry gently in olive oil until softened. Add 2 litres approx of good chicken stock and add a good quantity of shredded leftover roast chicken (if this is impossible, steaming a couple of chicken breasts and shredding them works just fine), a can of (drained) sweetcorn and a tablespoon of tomato purée. Season well with black pepper and (if needed) salt. Boil until vegetables are very tender. Eat with crusty bread. It's absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mine would be very similar to the above but I wouldn't add the tomato and I usually add in some rice, lentils, or pearl barley (choose 2) and serve with chopped parsley ( I like flat leaf).

The key is in having good stock really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I often make chicken soup and add some crushed angel hair pasta before I serve it.
    The soup is thin but the pasta makes it more substantial.
    You can sometimes buy small packs of pasta from eastern european food shops specifically for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Essential ingredient - spring onions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

i know that people boil the carcass of a roast chicken for about 3 hrs and then use the water left over as the stock then add the carrots,potatoes etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement