Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's get physical, PHYSICAL!!

Options
  • 10-05-2009 6:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, I figure I may as well start my own log here, so I'm accountable for what I do, or don't do as the case may be.

Height: 6'4''

Stats as of 16th March '09.

Weight: Can't remember my exact weight, but I was over 340lbs/154kg/24st+

The following measurements were taken 2 weeks after I started training, so not 100% accurate.

Neck: 18''
    Bicep: 15.5''
    Forearm: 13''
    Chest: 53''
    Waist: 53.5''
    Hips: 48''
    Thigh: 27.5
    Calf: 19''

My current stats as of 05th May '09...

Weight: 328lbs/148kg/23.4st

Neck: 17.5'' (-0.5'')
    Bicep: 16'' (+0.5'')
    Chest: 51'' (-2'')
    Waist: 52.5'' (-1'')
    Hips: 46.5'' (-1.5'')
    Thigh: 26.5 (-1'')
    Calf: 18'' (-1'')

Total Inches Lost: 7''

Last week I started a new routine that involves a full body workout, and it goes as follows...

5 minutes warm up on bike, level 8

Bench Press: 2x12 + 2x12 warm up
    Bent over Rows: 2x12
    Seated Row: 2x15
    Lat Pull Down: 2x12
    Bodysquats: 3x12
    Leg Curls: 3x12 (supersetted with BS)
    Lateral Raises: 2x12
    Bicep Curls: 2x12
    Shoulder Shrugs: 2x20
    Tricep Pushdowns: 2x15

5 minutes warm down on bike, level 8

I also have a cardio day that would consist of either circuit or interval training. Currently I go to the gym 4 evenings per week, however I'd like to increase that to 5 (3 weights + 2 cardio). Also, I'm hoping to start a program similar to the ''couch potatoe to 5km'', this will give me a short workout in the morning and increase fitness, that's if I can get up! ;)

Aims/Goals

I try and stick to short term goals, right now my aims are to get under 23st. I'd also like to get my chest under 50''. Long term, I would like to get down to 280lbs initially. I more than likely have more to lose but this was my weight at 18 years old, and that's why I chose this specific weight. Overall I'd like to get ripped to shreds and become a superhero:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

do u know your bodyfat percentage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Are you keeping a food diary? At your weight the best results come from eating right...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

do u know your bodyfat percentage??

Nope, but a guesstimate would be between 35-40%
    celestial wrote: »
    Are you keeping a food diary? At your weight the best results come from eating right...

No food diary per se, but I'm eating clean 5-6 times a day, high protein/low carb/moderate fats, allowing myself the odd treat on a weekly basis. When the weight/inches stop dropping I will probably resort to calorie counting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Some nice progress already: 6kg in ~6 weeks

www.fitday.com will come in handy when you want to track calories.

www.mapmyrun.com is useful if you are looking for walks or want to create one around your area.

Diet is a major part so maybe post up a few days diet here for critique as you start off.

Good luck!

Today's Workout:

5 minute warm up, level 8 on bike.

Chest Press:
    20kg x 12 x 2
    45kg x 12 x 2

Bent over Row:
    15kg x 12 x 2

Seated Row:
    32kg x 15 x 2

Lat Pull Down:
    41kg x 12 x 2

Body Squats:
    3 x 12

Leg Curl:
    56kg x 12 x 1 (Supposed to be 3 sets but it was busy and I forgot to add the last two on at the end of the workout:()

Lateral Raises:
    10kg x 12 x 2

Bicep Curls:
    10kg x 12 x 2

Shoulder Shrugs:
    17.5kg x 20 x 2

Tricep Pushdown:
    22.5kg x 15 x 2

5 minute warm down, level 8 on bike.

Workout Time: 70 minutes
    Max HR: 178 BPM
    Avg HR: 150 BPM
    Calories Burned: 1179

Gym was quite busy, lots of waiting around hence low avg HR.

Today's Food:

Multi vit & 3 grams fish oils.

Meal 1: Porridge (45g), low fat milk & almonds
    Snack 1: Apple & Banana
    Meal 2: Chicken (250g) & Mixed salad with a squirt of salad cream and sprinkle of Parmesan, Green Tea.
    Snack 2: Apple & Handful of Cashews

Gym

PWO: Protein shake with low fat milk (500ml), teaspoon of BCAA's & Glutamine.
    Meal 3: I am going to have a few pieces of mexican chicken (I've checked the nutritional info and it actually seems okay.
    Snack 3: I will have some natural peanut butter and small glass of milk + psyllium husk.

5 litres of water consumed. (well above avg, even for a workout day)

• Advertisement

Today's Workout

30 Minutes Cardio

5 minute warm up on bike
    20 minutes interval training (2 minutes level 10, 1 minute level 14)
    5 minute warm down

I also did some push ups & leg extensions.

Workout Time: 45 minutes
    Max HR: 171 BPM
    AVG HR: 160 BPM
    Calories Burned: 782

Today's Diet:

Meal 1: Porridge (45g), LF milk, almonds
    Snack 1: 2 Bananas & Apple
    Meal 2: Mixed salad, caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan + Protein (2 scoops) Shake with 500ml LF milk, I ran out of chicken!! :pac:
    Snack 2: Apple and handful cashews

GYM

PWO: Protein Shake, 500ml milk, 1 teaspoon psyllium husk.
    Meal 3: I was naughty, I had 3 boiled eggs with a few slices of poppy seed Vienna Role + small glass of milk.
    Snack 3: To be decided, probably same as yesterday.

3 litres of water consumed.

I've been dying with a cold the last couple of days, as a result I've had a loss of appetite and little energy!! :(

I took yesterday off and had a light cardio session today, hopefully I'll be feeling better tomorrow to hit the weights.

Today's Workout

30 minutes on bike - level 8
    Some crunches and push ups

Total Time: 40 minutes
    Max HR: Approx 178 bpm
    Avg HR: Approx 145 bpm
    Calories Burned: 600

Diet

Meal 1: Porridge w/ low fat milk
    Snack 1: Apple & Banana
    Meal 2: 2 breasts of chicken & mixed salad (It's getting harder and harder to finish!!)
    Snack 2: Apple

Gym

PWO: Protein Shake w/ 500ml low fat milk

I'll need to force some food into me shortly, don't know if I can stomach it but I'll try and have some eggs or chicken.

Barely 2 litres of water consumed thus far.

So after 2 days rest I'm feeling much better. Although not 100% I decided to hit the gym this morning, because it feels like I've done sweet fúck all this week.

Today's workout:

5 minute warm up on the Elliptical @ level 8

Chest Press:
    20kg x 12 x 2
    45kg x 12 x 2

Bent over Row:
    15kg x 12 x 2

Seated Row:
    36.5kg x 15 x 2

Lat Pull Down:
    46kg x 12 x 2

Body Squats:
    3 x 12

Leg Curl:
    56kg x 12 x 3

Lateral Raises:
    10kg x 12 x 2

Bicep Curls:
    10kg x 15
    10kg x 12

Shoulder Shrugs:
    17.5kg x 20 x 2

Tricep Pushdown:
    22.5kg x 15 x 2

5 minute warm down on the Elliptical @ level 8

Max HR: 181 BPM
    Avg HR: 157 BPM
    Calories Burned: 1335

My diet has really lacked in the past couple of days, I suppose it's the first time I've really fallen off the wagon since I started, because of this I was nervous about weighing myself, I last weighed myself 2 weeks ago and I was just hoping this morning that I hadn't gained weight, however I was delighted to see that I've lost 4lbs! :D

Current Weight: 324lbs / 147kg / 23st

I'll be delighted when I fall under 23st and then when I reach the 20lb lost mark, two goals in quick succession is the way to go!!

I'm taking tomorrow off and hopefully will be 100% better on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

well done man, your doing well, it feels good to reach targets.

can i ask why you do the isolation exercises, i wouldnt have thought they were the best for weight loss.

This is just a program my trainer made up for me, I suppose there could/should be more compound lifts, although when I first started the body squats I had some issues with my knee and had to stop for a while.

Things will probably be changed around again in a few weeks so maybe I'll suggest some barbell squats & deadlifts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

i just wouldnt have thought there was need for things like bicep curls or lateral raises if your losing weight you know. i wouldnt think those would be a priority atm. i read something once that unless your a bodybuilder or have a specific imbalance then theres no real need for isolation, like benching and pressing will look after your shoulders as much as most people need to. it just stuck with me, and as a begginner i know i dont need to isolate anything in particular atm, if that make sense.
    to me compound lifts = more joints involved =more muslces involved = more energy exerted = more weight loss.
    im no expert on weight loss though and if your enjoying it and getting results then happy days, keep up the good work.

Still not 100%, but much better still! :(

Today's workout:

Chest Press:
    20kg x 12 x 2
    45kg x 12 x 2

Bent over Row:
    15kg x 12 x 2

Seated Row:
    41kg x 15 x 2

Lat Pull Down:
    46kg x 12
    41kg x 12

Body Squats:
    3 x 12

Leg Curl:
    56kg x 12 x 3

Lateral Raises:
    10kg x 12 x 2

Bicep Curls:
    10kg x 15
    10kg x 15

Shoulder Shrugs:
    17.5kg x 20
    17.5kg x 10

Tricep Pushdown:
    22.5kg x 15 x 2

Max HR: 184 BPM
    Avg HR: 156 BPM
    Calories Burned: 1285

Today's Workout

5 minute warm up on Elliptical @ level 8
    Alternate between level 10 for 2 minutes & level 14 for 1 min, for 20 mintes
    5 minute warm down on level 8.

25 mins moderate pace on bike @ level 8

Workout Time: 60 minutes
    Max HR: 186 bpm
    AVG HR: 164 bpm
    Calories Burned: 1361

I'm VERY happy with today, in all my previous attempts in a gym over the years, I had never last 10 minutes on an elliptical, I always found it 'weird', with the motion causing me to feel sick within minutes. In my last couple of sessions I decided to use it as my warm up/down and today decided to go for 30 minutes and it felt AWESOME!!

Time to hit the weights again tomorrow, looking forward to it!

Today's Workout

Chest Press:
    20kg x 12 x 2
    50kg x 12
    50kg x 11
    50kg x 3

Bent over Row:
    17.5kg x 12 x 2

Seated Row:
    36kg x 15 x 2

Lat Pull Down:
    46kg x 12 x 2

Body Squats:
    2 x 10 (holding 10kg plate out in front of me)

Leg Curl:
    50kg x 12

Lateral Raises:
    12.5kg x 10 x 2

Bicep Curls:
    12.5kg x 12
    12.5kg x 10

Tricep Pushdown:
    26.5kg x 15 x 2

Workout Time: 60mins
    Max HR: 175 bpm
    AVG HR: 145 bpm
    Calories Burned: 992

Took it easy today, my legs are feeling very tight, especially the 'hams', need to start stretching more, so I just did one set of leg curls.

I was planning on a workout tomorrow but I think I better have a rest day, 3 days in a row seems to be my limit at the moment.

Today's workout:

5 minute warm up on the Elliptical @ level 11

Chest Press:
    20kg x 12 x 2
    50kg x 12
    50kg x 10
    50kg x 4

Bent over Row:
    17.5kg x 12 x 2

Seated Row:
    36.5kg x 15 x 2

Lat Pull Down:
    46kg x 12 x 2

Body Squats:
    3 x 12

Leg Curl:
    56kg x 12 x 3

Lateral Raises:
    10kg x 12 x 2

Bicep Curls:
    10kg x 15 x 2

Shoulder Shrugs:
    20kg x 10 x 2

Tricep Pushdown:
    27.5kg x 15 x 2

5 minute warm down on the Elliptical @ level 11

Max HR: 183 bpm
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Calories Burned: 1346

Today's Workout:

5 minute warm up on elliptical @ level 8
    Intervals of 1 min @ level 17 & 2 minutes level 11 for 20 minutes
    5 minute warm down @ level 8

My HRM decided to not work today, so I don't know my calories burned or MAX/AVG heart rate. Although if it's anything like last session on the elliptical, my avg would probably be approx 180bpm.

So, I think my time off the wagon last week caught up with me, because I gained a couple of lbs:( It's amazing what effect so little food can do!! But, it's just the kick up the arse I need. It's my first weight gain since I started, and I have no plans to let it happen again.

I also took some new measurements.

Neck: 17.5'' (-0.5'')
    Bicep: 16'' (+0.5'')
    Chest: 50'' (-3'')
    Waist: 51.5'' (-2'')
    Hips: 47.5'' (-0.5'')
    Thigh: 26.5 (-1'')
    Calf: 18'' (-1'')

Total Lost: 8''

I think I might just measure my chest and waist from now on, bloody hips are annoying with losing an inch then gaining half an inch, I think I suck at measuring.

Today's workout:

Chest Press:
    20kg x 12 x 2
    50kg x 12
    50kg x 10
    50kg x 4

Bent over Row:
    17.5kg x 12 x 2

Seated Row:
    36.5kg x 15 x 2

Lat Pull Down:
    46kg x 12
    41kg x 12

Body Squats:
    3 x 12

Leg Curl:
    60kg x 12 x 3

Lateral Raises:
    10kg x 12 x 2

Bicep Curls:
    10kg x 15 x 2

Shoulder Shrugs:
    20kg x 10

Tricep Pushdown:
    27.5kg x 15 x 2

Workout Time: 65 minutes
    Max HR: 180 bpm
    Avg HR: 152 bpm
    Calories Burned: 1139

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Calories Burned: 1139
    Calories Burned: 1346
    Calories Burned: 992
    Calories Burned: 1361

Maybe I'm wrong but your heart rate monitor may be grossly over estimating the amount of calories you are burning. The expenditure looks fairly high considering you are using lots of isolation and machines and in and out in around 60-70 minutes.

I'm just mentioning this in case you are using the calories burned to justify eating a certain amount of calories after training.

Looks like you are doing well anyway.

I'm just using them as a guideline really. If it says I burned 200 more calories than usual I don't then use that as an excuse to have a little 200kcal treat.

As for it's accuracy? I dunno, it's just going by my age/weight/height & HR, it doesn't know whether my HR is elevated due to being on an elliptical or whether I'm lifting. It certainly feels like I burn that much anyway!! :)

Bloody hell!! I decided to workout my calorific needs based on G'em's equation in the stickies, aparently 4742 is my maintenence level:eek: So I'm obviously not eating anything near enough, I should be looking to get in 4000 cals a day. Surely that's just a bit too much?

• Advertisement

Today's Workout

7 hours of moving furniture, cleaning & painting, cleaning, moving furniture again.

I. am. exhausted!

I attempted to workout today with little success, yesterday amongst all the painting/cleaning/furniture moving there was little time for food and today was much of the same, although for different reasons!! My energy levels are non existent.

I did introduce deadlifts today though, kept the weight nice and light to ensure my form was okay but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into them.

Good choice on the deadlifts, they're one of the exercises that tires me out the most.

Yeah, I did the deadlifts first as well, maybe that's why I was fúcked for the rest of the workout? :)

I actually have DOMS today in my quads!! Good thing I stuck to a light weight otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk!!

Tomorrow should be interesting, I plan on sticking to low reps and seeing what I can lift, I'm all excited!! :D

Good luck, try and do deadlifts on ground level, walking down stairs can be a b!tch

Today's workout:

Started off with some stretching...

Deadlift:
    5 x 20kg
    5 x 50kg
    5 x 70kg
    5 x 90kg
    5 x 110kg
    5 x 130kg
    3 x 150kg

Grip started to give out at 150kg, I reckon I could have got the full 5 reps otherwise, doubt that I could have moved up another 20kg though, overall I'm quite happy, I would have been annoyed if I didn't lift BW. Getting the weight on the bar is a workout in itself!!

Leg Curl:
    5 x 60kg
    5 x 91kg x 4

This was the full weight on the leg curler, felt okay, I think I could have managed 100kg + though.

Bench Press: (I just realised I've been calling it chest press all this time! Which I associate with the machine, that's not the case!)
    10 x 20kg
    5 x 60kg
    5 x 70kg
    3 x 75kg

Disappointed here, I was hoping to reach 90kg, maybe next time I should do Bench press first?

Bent over Row:
    5 x 22.5kg
    5 x 25kg x 4

This was pretty good, I could have probably shifted up to 27.5, maybe even 30kg.

Seated Row:
    5 x 40kg
    5 x 70kg x 4

This again was tough but manageable, don't know if I would have completed all sets with more weight.

Lateral Raises:
    5 x 15kg x 2

I don't think I could have managed more weight here, disappointing.

Bicep Curls:
    5 x 15kg x 2

I could have managed more here, but I think I was just too lazy to try at this stage!! :)

Tricep Pushdown:
    5 x 42kg x 5

This was tough!

Finished off with 15 minutes @ level 11 on the elliptical and some more stretching.

Overall I took my time between sets, especially on the deadlifts and bench, so the workout lasted quite a but little longer than usual. My HRM doesn't appear to want to work on Sundays, so I don't have any of that info. But I enjoyed it, certainly prefer lifting heavier for lower reps than the other way around.

I was also really hungry afterwards, which hasn't really happened in a while!

Today's workout:

Started off with some stretching...

Deadlift:
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    160kg x 3

My hands are ripped to pieces, I now know why some lifter wear gloves.

Leg Curl:
    91kg x 5 x 4

Bench Press:
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    70kg x 3

Bent over Row:
    25kg x 5 x 5

Seated Row:
    70kg x 5 x 5

Bicep Curls:
    15kg x 5 x 2

Tricep Pushdown:
    42kg x 5 x 2

Finished off with 5 mins on elliptical @ level 11.

I was absolutely bolloxed today, don't know if it was the heat or what!! But I almost didn't go to the gym, so I'm satisfied that I did.

Today's workout:

Deadlift:
    160kg x 3

My hands are ripped to pieces, I now know why some lifter wear gloves.

Good going on the deadlift.

Get some liquid chalk from an outdoors store i.e. the kind of place which sells rock climbing stuff. It will help a lot with grip and reduce tearing / blisters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

160kg x 3
    :eek: and thats only your 3rd time doing them properly? I think you've found your calling! pissing about with 10kg curls when you could be shifting that weight more often ;).

Get the chalk as mentioned, and you could work on grip strength, you are probably too big to manage a chinup, could you do assisted ones? or body rows? You can do them in racks and are a great compound movement if you are not ready for chins/pullups

You could also consider straps, I used to use them but do not bother anymore, my grip strength has improved A LOT since then.
    I was absolutely bolloxed today, don't know if it was the heat or what!!
    Could be all the deadlifts, I usually only do them once a week and nowhere near the reps or weights you are pulling. They put serious stress on the CNS & muscles and will give good growth stimulus all over. Have you done any weighted squats yet?

Advertisement