Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's get physical, PHYSICAL!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks guys, what's that liquid chalk like? Messy?

And yeah there's not a hope of me doing any chinups for a long time yet, I could defo try out those body rows though.

I haven't tried weighted squats yet, I think my form sucks tbh, but I'll probably give them a go soon, but keep to light weights.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

what's that liquid chalk like? Messy?

It comes in a bottle like sun cream and is a bit thicker.

You only need a bit. Rub it around in your palms. It will dry in about 15 seconds and will work wonders for your grip.

I got two bottles around March. Use it for pull ups, squat, bench and deadlifts. Still only half way through the first bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Liquid chalk is just normal chalk mixed with alcohol, so it dries off the hands quickly. I have normal chalk at home, some gyms will not allow chalk, and some might not even allow liquid chalk but I see no problem. It is less messy than normal chalk since it does not dust up into the air.

I just get a small clump of normal chalk and rub it into my hands without it dusting everywhere.

You can get stuff called titegrip http://www.titegrip.com/productinfo.htm this has chalk but also the antiperspirant aluminum chlorohydrate. This anti-perspirant is available in chemists and is really strong, usually driclor or perspirex. I have used it on my hands and it worked very well.

You could try goblet squats starting out, I find they sort of force you into using good form.

Sometimes I do squats holding a 10kg plate out in front of me. I found it great for balance and also to get deeper but it's a killer on the arms!! :) Superset that with leg curls and it's not pretty! (for me anyway)

Today's Workout:

I did a very leisurely 10 minute warm up on the bike.

Then 90 seconds on level 12 followed by a 20 second sprint on level 20, I managed to do this for 17 minutes until I just had to stop!

5 minute warm down.

15 minutes on elliptical switching between level 11 for 2 minutes and level 17 for 1 minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

Impressive log man, you seem to be losing a good few inches. Keep it up.

Also, your deadlift is sick! 3rd time doing it and you pull 160kg! Nice

• Advertisement

Impressive log man, you seem to be losing a good few inches. Keep it up.

Also, your deadlift is sick! 3rd time doing it and you pull 160kg! Nice
    Thanks a mil man.

Today's workout:

5 minute warm up on elliptical @ level 11

Bench Press:
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 4

I was using a new bar and it was quite slippy, my grip was giving out on the last few reps. Overall though I'm happy(ish)

Squats:

Decided to have a crack at them! :) I have no idea how many sets or reps I did, as at the start I was just focusing on my form and not counting.

Started off with just the bar, then...
    40kg x ? x ?
    50kg x ? x ?
    70kg x ? x ?

I stopped at 70kg, and I may do so for the first couple of times just to work out form. If anything my shoulders are killing me, I'm not a very flexible kinda guy so stretching them back to keep a hold of the bar was tough. Also keeping the weight on my heels was tricky, as well as balance.

Big thanks to Transform for giving me some pointers!

Leg Curls:
    90kg x 5 x 4

Bent over Row:
    25kg x 5 x 5

Seated Row:
    70kg x 5 x 5

Lateral Raises:
    12.5kg x 5 x 4

Bicep Curls:
    12.5kg x 5 x 4

Tricep Pushdown:
    42kg x 5 x 2

5 minutes warm down on elliptical @ level 11.

Yesterday's Workout:

I did the Olympic Lifting Workshop yesterday with G'em, lasted a little over 2 hours, very good workshop, very enjoyable and informative. Afterwards I did 15 minutes interval training on the elliptical.

Today's ''Workout'':

40 minute walk - attempted some running but I felt very stiff all over and my back was sore which didn't help, oh and the fact that I can't run for shit! :)

Took some new measurements, haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks and don't really plan on doing so for another few weeks, can be very demotivating when the numbers don't change as you want! But the tape measure doesn't lie.... I think.

Neck: 17.5'' (-0.5'')
    Bicep: 15.5'' - back down half an inch to what it was when I started:confused:
    Forearm: 13''
    Chest: 49'' (-4'')
    Waist: 50.5'' (-3'')
    Thigh: 27.5 - back up 1'' to what it was when I started? Either I'm measuring slightly higher or I lost some fat and gained muscle.
    Calf: 17.5'' (-1.5'')

I'm not really concerned with any of the measurements apart from chest and waist, the other numbers just seem to be random and probably greatly influenced by my measuring skills.

DELIGHTED my chest is under 50'', I really can't remember it ever being below 50! Next goal is to get the waist under 50''. If I continue to lose an inch of my chest and waist every 2 weeks I'll be very happy.

I'm really starting to see the differences in the mirror, and I'm also starting to recognize how food intake effects how you look in the mirror in terms of bloating etc, at the start I'd mistake it for fat and think it's not shifting at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Great to meet you yesterday and congratulations on your progress so far, that's some brilliant progress!! :)

Thanks G'em, much appreciated, twas nice to meet you too, although kinda weird seeing a face and hearing a voice behind your posts now!

Today's Workout:

40 minutes of light cardio on bike and elliptical.

SHOITE workout today, after lunch I felt exhausted and sleepy, which is very rare for me. I had to decide between going to see Terminator Salvation and working out. Sadly I chose to workout and I had zero energy:( But 40 minutes of cardio is something at least, better than nothing!

• Advertisement

Today's workout:

Bench Press:
    20kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 4 x 2
    80kg x 3

Bent over Row:
    25kg x 5 x 5

Leg Curl:
    91kg x 5 x 4

Lat Pulldown:
    50kg x 5 x 5

Seated Row:
    70kg x 5 x 5

Bicep Curls:
    10kg x 10 x 2

Tricep Pushdown:
    42kg x 5 x 3

5 minute warm down on Elliptical.

Felt very lackluster today, I think I'm getting bored with the routine. I didn't include any squats/deadlifts as over the past number of weeks I've been having some issues with my back, and this week it's quite bad, to the point where it's getting very uncomfortable sitting in work all day. Hopefully it's just a short term thing.

Today's Workout:

30 minutes on elliptical - 2 mins @ level 11 followed by 1 min @ level 18. 5 minute warm up/down.

15 minutes on bike at moderate constant pace.

Finished up with some push ups & lunges.

Today's Workout:

Bench Press:
    10kg x 10
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    80kg x 1

Seated Shoulder Press:
    15kg x 5 x 5

Bent over Barbell Row:
    50kg x 5 x 5

Upright Barbell Row:
    30kg (+ whatever the EZ bar weighs?) x 5 x 5

Close grip lat pull down:
    40kg x 5
    55kg x 5
    70kg x 5 x 3

Hang Power Snatch:
    Practiced it for about 20 minutes, from the hang position. Quite hard actually!!

I started and finished off with the foam roller on my legs and back.

Introduced some exercises today, will probably make myself up a new program for myself including them so I thought I'd try them out. Pretty happy! Makes a nice change.

As discussed in this thread, today's workout is as follows.

Squat:
    20kg x 10
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    50kg x 5

I recorded myself for the 90kg set and I wasn't getting parallel, so dropped it down to keep form. I guess I suck at squatting!

''Great Sets''

DB Bench (17.5kg) > Bent Over Row (17.5kg) > Lunges
    3 x 8

BB Military Press (37.5kg/27.5kg/27.5kg) > Close Grip Pull Downs (45kg/55kg/55kg) > SL Deadlift (50kg/80kg/80kg)
    3 x 8, except for the second two SL Deadlifts, added too much weight so only did 5 reps.

CG Bench (50kg) > EZ Bar Curl (37.5kg) > Calf Raise
    3 x 8 (except the curl, 5 reps.)

5 minute warm down on elliptical.

Great routine, haven't sweat so much in a long time!!

Today's Workout:

30 minutes interval training on elliptical

15 minutes moderate pace on bike

Took an extra day off as my calve was really at me, and I hurt my neck via other means, but getting over it now.

Almost lost my way over the last week!! Jebus, you take some time off and your mind/body just doesn't want to go back!

Monday's Workout:

30 minutes cardio, 15 minutes on elliptical and 15 minutes on bike.

SERIOUS humidity in the gym, I've never sweated so much doing so little. I got a stitch on the elliptical hence why I was only on it for 15 minutes.

Today's Workout:

Deadlifts:
    20kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    140kg x 5

DB Bench (17.5kg) > Bent Over Row (17.5kg) > Lunges
    3 x 8

BB Military Press (27.5kg) > Close Grip Pull Downs (55kg) > Leg Curl (65kg)
    3 x 8,

CG Bench (50kg) > EZ Bar Curl (27.5kg) > Calf Raise
    3 x 8

I came so close to just driving home! But I'm glad I didn't, felt great after the workout, and I'll sleep like a baby tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

fail-dog.jpg

Why the lack of updates

fail-dog.jpg

Why the lack of updates
    Minor hiccup:)

Today's Workout:

40 minutes light cardio.

Good to get back, my weight pretty much hasn't budged so it's all good, will start up where I left off.

Yesterday's Workout

15 minutes of cardio & 40 minutes of weights

First weights session in a while, not good!!

Today's Workout:

40 mins cardio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Good to see yer back MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Indeed, i thought that scuffle with teh after hours M.M had left you drained

Advertisement