Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the U-Value of your Windows?

• 10-05-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all,

So, What is good u-value for windows, I was looking at double glazed/agron/low e.

I should say that not just the glass, frame included. What should be an acceptable level when I am looking.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi all,

So, What is good u-value for windows, I was looking at double glazed/agron/low e.

I should say that not just the glass, frame included. What should be an acceptable level when I am looking.

Thank you and look forward to your reply

Mr & Mrs Self-Build smile.gif

Learned a lot, a lot to learn!!

• 5000 sq ft dormer house
    • Velux's
    • 3000 sq ft down stairs including 420 sq ft attached Garage.
    • Oil heating/Rads
    • Insulation and windows first prioritywink.gif

firstly TBH, i am going to politely ask you to put that coloured paragraph you always post into your 'signiture' function... thereby persons can choose whether to see it or not. You are using it as a signiture at the moment so you should treat it as one, and i for one find it very distracting (and its also not applicable to your situation as youve stated elsewhere your building a smalle dwelling than 5000 sq ft)......

'generally' double glazed units come in the range of 2.0 to 1.2 u value.. obviously the lower the better....

triple glazed come in the region of 1.4 - 0.9 ish...

triple glazed units are steadily becoming more affordable, with most companies offering to 'upgrade' for a small extra percentage. However, unless building a very low energy dwelling (almost passive levels) triple glazing can have the effect of actually keeping out more heat that they keep in. Triple glazing is always a good idea on a north facing elevation, but for others, unless building passive, i would stick to double glazing.

galzing has a large influence on how air tight your build will be so look for evidence of good air tightness.

there is a window rating system by teh BFRC which shows u value, solar heat gain, heat loss due to air penetration, and energy rating... an A rated window by these is a good window...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Banks Home

sydthebeat wrote: »
    firstly TBH, i am going to politely ask you to put that coloured paragraph you always post into your 'signiture' function... thereby persons can choose whether to see it or not. You are using it as a signiture at the moment so you should treat it as one, and i for one find it very distracting (and its also not applicable to your situation as youve stated elsewhere your building a smalle dwelling than 5000 sq ft)......

'generally' double glazed units come in the range of 2.0 to 1.2 u value.. obviously the lower the better....

triple glazed come in the region of 1.4 - 0.9 ish...

triple glazed units are steadily becoming more affordable, with most companies offering to 'upgrade' for a small extra percentage. However, unless building a very low energy dwelling (almost passive levels) triple glazing can have the effect of actually keeping out more heat that they keep in. Triple glazing is always a good idea on a north facing elevation, but for others, unless building passive, i would stick to double glazing.

galzing has a large influence on how air tight your build will be so look for evidence of good air tightness.

there is a window rating system by teh BFRC which shows u value, solar heat gain, heat loss due to air penetration, and energy rating... an A rated window by these is a good window...

I tried it, signature comes up (U do not have enough posts):confused:

I have read a lot, and i mean a lot of posts on this site. one or two people have big whips and like to use them, if u know what i mean.

I will do it no bother, but just to add by you asking me to change my settings and the way I post, reflects the way the forum is run. so many formatting options, restricted to use :o

in relation to the windows, i was advised to go 1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I tried it, signature comes up (U do not have enough posts):confused:

I have read a lot, and i mean a lot of posts on this site. one or two people have big whips and like to use them, if u know what i mean.

I will do it no bother, but just to add by you asking me to change my settings and the way I post, reflects the way the forum is run. so many formatting options, restricted to use :o

IMO, u have done yourself no favors at all by posting the above.

Did you see the following
    Firstly TBH, i am going to politely ask in STB's post.

Its not that I always agree with STB, but in this case I do 100% as the multicolored, multi-fonted stuff at the bottom of each post is an unnecessary distraction.

With that attitude you have told us a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Banks Home

Carlow52 wrote: »
    IMO, u have done yourself no favors at all by posting the above.

Did you see the following
    Firstly TBH, i am going to politely ask in STB's post.

Its not that I always agree with STB, but in this case I do 100% as the multicolored, multi-fonted stuff at the bottom of each post is an unnecessary distraction.

With that attitude you have told us a lot

eeeeeeeeeyeeeeeeeeaahhhhh.

is it actually possible for 1 person to have multiple log ons. what's with poeple (4 or 5 i assume) you just had a go about the guy posting on hollow core. :D.

very one sided this place, but hey! each to their own, respect the family.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

is it actually possible for 1 person to have multiple log ons. what's with poeple (4 or 5 i assume) you just had a go about the guy posting on hollow core. :D.

this forum is moderate so it runs smoothly without incident....

you have only 17 posts so far yet youve managed to antagonise many established posters.

we do not allow threads to run off topic, yet you have done this with a few threads so far.

you are very close to receiving either an infraction or a ban. Its up to you how you behave here, but no body gets special privileges...

if you have a problem with the way its run, then don't post, but if you do decide to stay, then obey the forum etiquette and post in a polite manner.

(i just had a look in the hollowcore thread, carlow52 posted an excellent response and did not "have a go" at anyone..... you are on thin ice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well i'll just come straight to the point. There are terms and condition (in other words, rules) that you agreed to when you signed up as a member of boards.ie. There is then a forum charter. Id expect you and everyone who posts here to read the rules and the charter and abide by them.

We have a damn good forum here and lots of people enjoy getting advice and lots of people enjoy sharing their experiences and they do so without rattling cages. If you find that this forum is not what you expected then I can only suggest you look for somewhere else that is more appropriate to your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

An overall windows u value ( glass and frame ) of 1.4 for a 1.5m x 1.5 window is pretty much available as standard .

Glass out performs frame so
    smaller windows with a larger % of frame vs glass will have a higher u value
    larger windows - will have a lower u value

It might actually be easier to ask for the the double glazing only spec if you want to quickly compare different windows - 1.1 is commonly available .

(That is quite good actually )

Advertisement