Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light bulbs keep blowing

Options
  • 10-05-2009 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

So we moved in to a new house a few months ago (an old farmhouse) and we're having to replace the lightbulbs downstairs at an insane rate. Even the super-dooper energy efficient long life ones aren't lasting a month.

There's lights either side of the front door on one switch, a light inside the porch on one switch and then three along the hall all on one switch. None of the bloomin things are lasting any time, they just keep dying.

It's wrecking my head, and my bank account - any suggestions as to what it could be? When we've a bit of money saved I want to get them re-wired cos it seems like a waste to turn on 3 hall lights when I only want one on, but until I can get it re-done is there something else I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

fozzle wrote: »
    So we moved in to a new house a few months ago (an old farmhouse) and we're having to replace the lightbulbs downstairs at an insane rate. Even the super-dooper energy efficient long life ones aren't lasting a month.

There's lights either side of the front door on one switch, a light inside the porch on one switch and then three along the hall all on one switch. None of the bloomin things are lasting any time, they just keep dying.

It's wrecking my head, and my bank account - any suggestions as to what it could be? When we've a bit of money saved I want to get them re-wired cos it seems like a waste to turn on 3 hall lights when I only want one on, but until I can get it re-done is there something else I can do?

It is not likely to be a wiring fault as your circuit protection devices would trip before the bulb would blow. I would guess that whoever installed the light fittings may have been a bit of a chancer and simply didn't tighten the connections properly which would make the circuit arc and blow the bulbs. I would suggest opening all the light fittings and checking the connections (either yourself or a sparky). Either way make sure the mains is isolated before touching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Oooh, if it's as simple as that it'd be great. I've replaced lightfittings before for my dad so next day off I'll have a go.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Are you urban or rural, OP?

Where do you source your bulbs (unlikely to be an issue, as you claim the same problem with CFLs).

Have you the same issue elsewhere in the property, or just on this one circuit?

If you are rural, and share a sub (transformer), with an arc welding farmer, or other motive load, (milking machine/grain hoppers etc.) you may have an issue with spikes on your supply.

A faulty batch of lamps is possible, but as I say unlikely.

If the fault is limited to the section you mention, this is one circuit, most likely, and you may have a simple loose connection somewhere, as stated, as the pendants and outdoor fittings will be daisy chained. Look for burn makrs around the neutrals, or looped phases where applicable. This does not necessarily mean your sparks was a cowboy, anyone can miss a connection, although if you find more than one, an inspection of the installation would not be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I'm rural all right, and with a farm next door (I'm in the original farmhouse). The problem is confined to those lights so they may well be one circuit. As for bulb sources, I've bought 'em in about 7 different places at this stage. For 6 fixtures I think I've had to buy almost fifty bulbs of various wattages and so on in the last six months so a bad batch is definately out.

I'll have a look tomorrow in daylight and try and see if I can see things like burn marks, and I'll see if simply tightening things will make a difference.

Thanks folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Tenderloins1

I've two light fittings in my kitchen, both with four R50 bulbs. Like the OP I'm changing them at an alarming rate. Last week 3 of the 8 bulbs went.

Its not confined to any particular bulb sockets in that bulbs each of the bulb sockets have all gone at different times.
    The house was rewired a few years back.

The bathroom is above the kitchen, so I'm terrified water may be causing the isssue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

If water was present, you'd most likely know.

If the rest of the house is fine, it could still be a connection somewhere-or excess heat is building up in the fitting, which is unlikely as the bulb isn't enclosed.

See post #4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well it is unlikely to be loose connections and arcing causing it, you`d usually see the bulbs flickering, although anything is possible with AC. Get the voltage checked to start with in the house, it could possibly be a bit high, it should be around 230v,

The farm machinery on the same relatively small supply transformer could certainly be a cause.

Advertisement