Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT throttled once again. This time at 16GB on a 24Mbit line

Options
  • 10-05-2009 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I am getting pissed off at BT more by the minute. Apparently its not enough that I had to wait 5 Months till I got the 24Mbit line and they start charging me 2 months before my Broadband was actually working and keep sending me wrong invoices (up till now not received one correct invoice).

After I went over my "Unlimited" 100GB limit in March I got unthrottled in the middle of April. Now it was fine for a while 3 weeks. In May I used 16GB so far and there is a message saying

"[FONT=verdana, arial]At your current rate of usage you are likely
    to go over your download limit in 4 days"

[/FONT]Even funnier is that just below that it now says:

[FONT=verdana, arial]Your usage has been throttled due to overuse.

[/FONT]GREAT! Throttled after 16GB!!!!! And why the heck have the hint that you might get throttled in X amount of days when they throttled you straight away anyways!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I am getting pissed off at BT more by the minute. Apparently its not enough that I had to wait 5 Months till I got the 24Mbit line and they start charging me 2 months before my Broadband was actually working and keep sending me wrong invoices (up till now not received one correct invoice).

After I went over my "Unlimited" 100GB limit in March I got unthrottled in the middle of April. Now it was fine for a while 3 weeks. In May I used 16GB so far and there is a message saying

"[FONT=verdana, arial]At your current rate of usage you are likely
    to go over your download limit in 4 days"

[/FONT]Even funnier is that just below that it now says:

[FONT=verdana, arial]Your usage has been throttled due to overuse.

[/FONT]GREAT! Throttled after 16GB!!!!! And why the heck have the hint that you might get throttled in X amount of days when they throttled you straight away anyways!

Give them a call. BT usage tool reads the amount of usage per username but their throttling works on port id basis meaning that they will monitor the amount of data downloaded/uploaded through your DSLAM port.

As I said, give tech support a call, they will check how much data your port has downloaded and see if it matches the amount of data downloaded with your username.

Another posibility, and most likely what is happenig, is that within the 15th and the 30th of April you downloaded in total more than 85 gb, you dont need to much to reach this value as you can easily download this in a few days, if so, they you would have reached that 100 gb value that you mentioned at the beginning of the email...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]GREAT! Throttled after 16GB!!!!! And why the heck have the hint that you might get throttled in X amount of days when they throttled you straight away anyways!

Oh and about this it doesnt say you will be throttled in x amount of days but that you will go over your download limit in x days (which is incorrect as there isnt any download limit, in theory)

Remember that the usage tool measures the usage on your current month while the throttling works on a 30 days rollback period. That means that the usage tool only shows the usage from the 1st until the ~9th of this month but you have another 21 days of usage that you cannot see... pointless tool I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭tazire

im also sick of bt now. im currently on their 24meg line too. i live bout 500m from my exchange and only get 14meg dl which isnt great considerin the distence but the fup is an utter joke and the throttled speeds are an even bigger joke. thats y i bit the bullet and paid the stupid €150 cancelation fee and am goin to smart. i change as of the 21st if everythin goes to plan. the 7mb proper unlimited is not only cheaper but should work out to give me more dl usage with the properly unlimited service from smart. roll on the 21st.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tazire wrote: »
    im also sick of bt now. im currently on their 24meg line too. i live bout 500m from my exchange and only get 14meg dl which isnt great considerin the distence.....

Your line from the telephone exchange is not as the crow flys, as such the line could go 1-3km before it actually connects to your premises.

In addition your PSTN line quality could be very poor which os beyond BT's remit to resolve,

Advertisement