Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite part of Spanish GP ??

• 10-05-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭

Mine was Button Lapping Hamilton :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Vettel vs Massa for the last 10 laps was great. Pity Massa had to let him past due to low fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

vectra = Mine was Button Lapping Hamilton

maybe it was piquet pushing hammy onto the grass..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

vectra wrote: »

yep :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I liked Rob Smedley on the radio saying "use less fuel and go slower", Masa going :confused: followed by a "what about the chap behind me then?".

Also Webber just before they went on the podium telling Barichello and Button that Massa has fecked up, then noticing the cameras, and forgetting to tell the rest of the story. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

robinph wrote: »
    Also Webber just before they went on the podium telling Barichello and Button that Massa has fecked up, then noticing the cameras, and forgetting to tell the rest of the story. :D

Yeah
    I bet Webber will keep his trap shut in future :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Button lapping Hamilton for me too.
    Apart from that it was a snooze fest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Force India shortcutting the corner

"whew, missed those speedbumps...and the chaos......oh sh"

Also the Vettel, Massa battle...But quite a dull race really. No opportunity to overtake really.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hamilton's interview afterwards was better.

Not a happy camper.

Not a happy camper.

You know what
    I am actually starting to enjoy his interviews and getting to like him.
    Now that he has been brought down to size he is actually quite bearable with his comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

Not a happy camper.

ya enjoyed that too:D the race was pretty dull really!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes have to agree with the above sentiments, quite a boring race. In fact the Spanish GP usually is - I don't think the circuit layout helps. In contrast the Canadian GP is usually full of suprises and drama, pity it was pulled from the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Alonso's move on Webber after the safety car restart :D
    And Massa / Vettel battle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

When Alonso passed Webber with on the straight with kers and Webber dived back up the inside under breaking. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Brundle interviewing Nicole Whats-her-face on the grid. God she looked bored! I reckon Lewis will have to win something soon to satisfy that pussycat!!

I thought Button's attitude towards Barrichello was really gracious. He's matured into a bloody nice bloke has Jenson. Poor old Rubens - did Ross lumber him with the inferior strategy to consolidate Jenson's lead? I think maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

pburns wrote: »
    Poor old Rubens - did Ross lumber him with the inferior strategy to consolidate Jenson's lead? I think maybe...

Don't think so, he just wasn't fast enough on the thrid stint with soft tyres, for whatever reason he was between 0.5 and 1 second a lap slower than he was beforehand. Had he caught back up to Jenson as he was meant to, he'd've won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    When Alonso passed Webber with on the straight with kers and Webber dived back up the inside under breaking. :D

this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Fantastic, Alonso is hard but Webber is just a double hard bastard!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I decided after 30 laps that I wasnt wasting another 40 mins of my life so I turned it off and decided to play some call of duty instead. Its a great track to drive but its its a terrible circuit to watch.

Well we sure weren't watching the same race is all I can say to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

alonso noticing that massa was going a lot slower and he had a chance to take the position.
    he said afterwards that he thought massa was just playing.

LIGHTNING =
    I decided after 30 laps that I wasnt wasting another 40 mins of my life so I turned it off and decided to play some call of duty instead. Its a great track to drive but its its a terrible circuit to watch.

think you might be losing interest,
    maybe you should have just gone to do a few laps in mondello......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alonso's two moves, the first with Webber and the second driving right around the (albiet slow) Ferrari of Massa. That move still had the Alonso sig on it; "Well f*** you I'm just going to drive around you and make it look cool":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I can't decide what was more satisfying, when Hamilton was lapped, or when Lee McKenzie asked him about it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What race were you watching? It was a complete snooze fest with practically nothing happening for the first half. Apart from the first corner pileup their was what 3 passing moves?

Totally agree . It was similar to every other Spanish GP in that its impossible to overtake around this track after the 1st lap of the race. This goes to show that the new design of the cars have done little to improve overtaking in Formula 1. The only reason that Alonso and Vettel got past Massa was that he was going to run out of fuel. These are the only overtaking moves of any note that I can remember.

Chopper888 wrote: »
    The only reason that Alonso and Vettel got past Massa was that he was going to run out of fuel. These are the only overtaking moves of any note that I can remember.

If Massa's Ferrari didn't have KERS, Vettel would passed him quite early in the race.

The new aero designs do seem to allow the cars to travel closer but not as close as they expected. The ridiculous semi-introduction of KERS has prevented more overtaking.

smooch71 wrote: »
    If Massa's Ferrari didn't have KERS, Vettel would passed him quite early in the race.

And if Massa was driving last years car Vettel would have no hope of passing so where is the relevance in your statement?:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well we sure weren't watching the same race is all I can say to that

Your easily amused, it was a total snoozefest.

And if Massa was driving last years car Vettel would have no hope of passing so where is the relevance in your statement?:confused:

I thought it was pretty clear

I'm making the point that the new aerodynamic regulations would have have allowed a faster car (Red Bull) pass a slower car (Ferrari), if it weren't for Massa's ability to pull away on the straight by pushing a button on the steering wheel and activate his KERS device.

So with slick tyres, wider front wings and taller narrower rear wings the cars CAN and DO run closer, even on a track like Catalunya. But, the extra boost given to the cars that run KERS, means they cannot be over taken.
    I know it works the opposite when a KERS car overtakes he's likely to be able to do it easier, but after all the hard work the Overtaking Working Group did to produce cars that can follow each other closer, some genius in the FIA decides that KERS is an option for the teams.

If they must produce an artifical form of overtaking (ie KERS) it should have been made compulsory from the start for all teams.

So in the context of the discussion, it's your comment about Massa having a better car last year that's irrelevant. icon12.gif

some genius in the FIA decides that KERS is an option for the teams.

And that would most likely be the veey same genious that allowed the stupid diffusers to destroy the whole season from the off.

Now who's comments are irrelevant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Not really part of the race, but I was amazed by the reaction of the Spanards to Lewis Hamilton!

Every single lap, he got boo'd and "hand gestures" - every single lap!!! :D

Alonso got cheered and flags - every single lap!

They're not too fond of Kimi either, but no where near the venom for Lewis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I thought it was pretty clear

I'm making the point that the new aerodynamic regulations would have have allowed a faster car (Red Bull) pass a slower car (Ferrari), if it weren't for Massa's ability to pull away on the straight by pushing a button on the steering wheel and activate his KERS device.

So with slick tyres, wider front wings and taller narrower rear wings the cars CAN and DO run closer, even on a track like Catalunya. But, the extra boost given to the cars that run KERS, means they cannot be over taken.
    I know it works the opposite when a KERS car overtakes he's likely to be able to do it easier, but after all the hard work the Overtaking Working Group did to produce cars that can follow each other closer, some genius in the FIA decides that KERS is an option for the teams.

If they must produce an artifical form of overtaking (ie KERS) it should have been made compulsory from the start for all teams.

So in the context of the discussion, it's your comment about Massa having a better car last year that's irrelevant. icon12.gif
    This true but the non kers cars have the advantage of being faster.
    I agree if they were going to go with kers it should have been compulsory the problem is even if both cars have kers it will still make overtaking more difficult, unless a passing car catches the car in front by surprise also if a car in front makes a mistake in a corner they can usually push kers and recover once they have traction and block cars following from passing.

I think it was the circuit rather than kers that really stopped Vettel from passing Massa though.

And that would most likely be the veey same genious that allowed the stupid diffusers to destroy the whole season from the off.

Now who's comments are irrelevant :D

Yours it would appear.

We were talking originally about the lack of overtaking. KERS is preventing overtaking in certain situations where without KERS it would have been possible.

The double deck diffuser that you claim is "destroying the whole season" has nothing to do with this. It is a legal part of the aerodymanics.

It blatantly obvious that there is a lot more to the Brawn cars dominance than the diffuser. The other "diffuser" cars haven't even looked like winning a race and the only other car to have won a race (and looks closest to Brawn) is the Red Bull which still hasn't fitted one of these diffusers.

Every time F1 has a major rules shake up, one team entreprets the rules in a way that allows them to dominate, McLaren in 1998 is a classic example.

And by the end of the year, Ferrari were challenging for the championsip and Jordan had won a race. Dominance doesn't last long so the season isn't destroyed because one team got the rules bang on and the others have to catch up.

• Advertisement

I think it was the circuit rather than kers that really stopped Vettel from passing Massa though.

That's probably true coz as everyone knows Barcelona is notorious for the lack of overtaking. But Alonso in a kers car managed to pass Webber in a non-kers car albeit temporarily. And look back to other tracks earlier in the season where we had faster cars struggling to pass Hamilton because he had kers. Sorry, I can't rememeber what circuit it was.

And to pick up on what you said about non-kers being faster, that exactly right, but ironically, it's the KERS cars that they can't pass!!

mrmac wrote: »
    Not really part of the race, but I was amazed by the reaction of the Spanards to Lewis Hamilton!

Every single lap, he got boo'd and "hand gestures" - every single lap!!! :D

Alonso got cheered and flags - every single lap!

They're not too fond of Kimi either, but no where near the venom for Lewis!

Were you at the race?

I was there last year and it was like that too. Everytime Hamilton appeared on the track or on the big screen the Spanish crowd booed and jeered him

Just remembered your earlier thread, hope you enjoyed it and stayed away from the paella!

Yours it would appear.

We were talking originally about the lack of overtaking. KERS is preventing overtaking in certain situations where without KERS it would have been possible.

The double deck diffuser that you claim is "destroying the whole season" has nothing to do with this. It is a legal part of the aerodymanics.

It blatantly obvious that there is a lot more to the Brawn cars dominance than the diffuser. The other "diffuser" cars haven't even looked like winning a race and the only other car to have won a race (and looks closest to Brawn) is the Red Bull which still hasn't fitted one of these diffusers.

Every time F1 has a major rules shake up, one team entreprets the rules in a way that allows them to dominate, McLaren in 1998 is a classic example.

And by the end of the year, Ferrari were challenging for the championsip and Jordan had won a race. Dominance doesn't last long so the season isn't destroyed because one team got the rules bang on and the others have to catch up.

Good lord here we go again.:rolleyes:

Do you know what the diffuser does?

Create more grip
    More grip on a corner = More speed into/around. & out of that said corner.
    How many corners per lap ?
    which equals in more speed and faster laptimes
    Tell me where exactly the diffuser does NOT give an advantage.
    What did you see this weekend?
    Hint
    Ferrari shoot to the top part of the timesheets.

In case you disagree with me,
    just go and read a few of the drivers comments.
    ESPECIALLY Buttons regarding the surprising jump that Ferrari have made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Were you at the race?

I was there last year and it was like that too. Everytime Hamilton appeared on the track or on the big screen the Spanish crowd booed and jeered him

Just remembered your earlier thread, hope you enjoyed it and stayed away from the paella!

Same thing at Monza last year too :)

There were some Brits sitting near us and you could see them looking at each other when the crowd first started booing him... funny.

Good lord here we go again.:rolleyes:

Do you know what the diffuser does?

Create more grip
    More grip on a corner = More speed into/around. & out of that said corner.
    How many corners per lap ?
    which equals in more speed and faster laptimes
    Tell me where exactly the diffuser does NOT give an advantage.
    What did you see this weekend?
    Hint
    Ferrari shoot to the top part of the timesheets.

In case you disagree with me,
    just go and read a few of the drivers comments.
    ESPECIALLY Buttons regarding the surprising jump that Ferrari have made

Good lord??

Look, if you want to get to tit for tat "who's wrong, who's right" crap, I'm not interested.

If you want to discuss it, then let's discuss it.

Yes, I know exactly what the diffuser does.

I didn't say the diffuser did NOT give an advantage. What I said was that Brawn have obviously created a good all round package. The diffuser is only part of that overall aerodynamic package.

Ferrari also introduced a new front wing at Barcelona, which incidentally was a copy of Brawn's front wing. McLaren introduced a new diffuser in China for Hamilton and Bahrain for both cars. They appear to be sinking further down the grid.

So Brawns' dominance is NOT exclusively down to one part of the car, the diffuser, it's down to an impressive overall aerodynamic package.

I didn't say the diffuser did NOT give an advantage. What I said was that Brawn have obviously created a good all round package. The diffuser is only part of that overall aerodynamic package.
    So Brawns' dominance is NOT exclusively down to one part of the car, the diffuser, it's down to an impressive overall aerodynamic package.

Have to agree with that. There are quite a few cars running a double diffuser now, and still the Brawn GP guys where clearly quicker. Whatever the heck they're doing, the others are trying to do, eg. the diffuser, but there is obviously a lot more to the package that that.

• Advertisement

Good lord??
    Have to agree with that. There are quite a few cars running a double diffuser now, and still the Brawn GP guys where clearly quicker. Whatever the heck they're doing, the others are trying to do, eg. the diffuser, but there is obviously a lot more to the package that that.

Have both of you not noticed that Ferrari have suddenly closed the gap to within 0.2 seconds to the Brawn cars .
    Does this not say anything?
    or
    do you want to stay blind to that fact?

Have both of you not noticed that Ferrari have suddenly closed the gap to within 0.2 seconds to the Brawn cars .
    Does this not say anything?
    or
    do you want to stay blind to that fact?

What exactly is your point?

Nobody has denied this. I'm a huge Ferrari fan and am delighted to see them gaining ground. So why would I have a problem with this?

Can you not also acknowledge that the diffuser is not the only thing that makes Brawns car faster?

Simple fact Red Bull does not have a double deck diffuser, Williams has. Who's car has been consistantly more competitive?

McLaren stuck a new diffuser on and it hasn't worked.

Ferrari made numerous aerodynamic improvements to the car before Spain. One of which is the diffuser. Another is the front wing. ALL the changes they made (including the diffuser if that's what you want to hear) made the difference and helped close the gap.

I'm a huge Ferrari fan, have been the last 20 years - and not just when they where winning all around them - and it's hard to see them struggle this year! But to suggest that their time improvement at Spain was due to the diffuser is slightly insulting!!
    There was a massive amount of changes made to the Barcelona car, not only the diffuser, and each improvement added up to a quicker car.

Any single piece doesn't make that big an improvement to a car - it's the package, it's the overall effect of the components that makes one car different from the rest.

I fully expect Ferrari to continue to improve, but Brawn GP are also making improvements, no way near the same budget, but every bit helps!

But to suggest that their time improvement at Spain was due to the diffuser is slightly insulting!!
    There was a massive amount of changes made to the Barcelona car, not only the diffuser, and each improvement added up to a quicker car.

Any single piece doesn't make that big an improvement to a car - it's the package, it's the overall effect of the components that makes one car different from the rest.

Lads
    For the love of god why does everyone on this forum pick an argument on ONE WORD in a topic or a reply.. :rolleyes:

I know it
    you know it
    anyone that follows F1 knows it

What is it that they know?

Answer:
    That it is not simply a diffuser that works on its own
    The whole package has to be developed around it, otherwise it would be a waste of time ( ALA McLaren)

So lets not waste any more silly remarks on this and let ferrari move on to the top :D

GO KIMI GO...!!! :cool:

Lads
    For the love of god why does everyone on this forum pick an argument on ONE WORD in a topic or a reply.. :rolleyes:

I know it
    you know it
    anyone that follows F1 knows it

What is it that they know?

Answer:
    That it is not simply a diffuser that works on its own
    The whole package has to be developed around it, otherwise it would be a waste of time ( ALA McLaren)

So lets not waste any more silly remarks on this and let ferrari move on to the top :D

GO KIMI GO...!!! :cool:

Glad we all finally agree...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Anyhooo - back to Hamilton. Why the hell is every single interview with him a visual carbon copy of the last? Always with a stupid straw in his gob. Every single time. It's beginning to make me mad!
    PUT THE DRINK DOWN YOU IDIOT!

Jeez vectra, hope you didn't hurt yourself yesterday :D

Your comments, appeared to say, that you believed the time improvement by Ferrari, was purely down to the diffuser. I've re-read your posts, and it still reads that way! Which, I admit, was confusing, as I'm well aware of your F1 interest, and knew you wouldn't be making that mistake.

Anyway, the car was a big improvement, I hope the advance continues!
    I haven't had a chance to read up on what the next developements are, does anyone have an update?

Just to get everyone focused back on-topic - here are a few of pics from the race!

3528140740_c864ed634e_o.jpg

3527329367_3af2db85ab_o.jpg

3528140902_84b6a21964_o.jpg

3528141042_dab586c29f_o.jpg

:)

Just to get everyone focused back on-topic - here are a few of pics from the race!

:)

Wow

Who needs cars?

Biro wrote: »
    Anyhooo - back to Hamilton. Why the hell is every single interview with him a visual carbon copy of the last? Always with a stupid straw in his gob. Every single time. It's beginning to make me mad!
    PUT THE DRINK DOWN YOU IDIOT!

Yeah but it's somewhat more satisfying now that he's not so smug anymore.

Did you hear Lee McKenzie asking him what went through his mind when Button lapped him?

He took a big swallow that time!!

Advertisement