Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

that was the 5000th post on this thread. what a waste.

now are you really bítching about another poster or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Just an observation

Feel free to delete, edit or whatever else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I don't agree with his views on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Actually apologies for wasting the 5000th post.

I didn't pay attention to the post count.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This moneyshot character is a bit arrogant isn't he?

What moneyshot character?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

where's the training music thread gone? i'm after finding a CD with all the music from Arnie's old 80s movies on it :D

Parsley wrote: »
    where's the training music thread gone? i'm after finding a CD with all the music from Arnie's old 80s movies on it :D

Did you search?
    There have been about 10 of them since I have been here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Did you search?
    There have been about 10 of them since I have been here.

i was being facetious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Any powerlifting meets coming up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭VIS VIRES

Any powerlifting meets coming up?

The IDFPA NI Benchpress Championships are on September 25th .

This event will also be a last ditch qualifier for the WDFPF World Powerlifting Championships so you could do the full meet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

VIS VIRES wrote: »
    The IDFPA NI Benchpress Championships are on September 25th .

This event will also be a last ditch qualifier for the WDFPF World Powerlifting Championships so you could do the full meet...

I got a bloddy invite to that yesterday and all!!! :D

You mods are very quick today.

yes....yes we are.... ive been in the matrix since monday so im pretty much clued in all the time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Apologies if this has been posted before but holy ****!! :eek:

Apology accepted.

I don't want to train tonight.
    I feel wrecked and want to watch the match.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

13kg watering can carry and load medley for reps. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭COH

Ordered a few bits and pieces from Elite on Tuesday afternoon, delivered to my door this morning. So delivery from Ohio takes the same time as it took Tesco to deliver from Crumlin..

Moral of the story... Tesco should hire Dave Tate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well at least that justifies the price they charge for delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

Just got my weightlifting shoes - I'm loving them already :D

1010331m.th.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Where did you order from podge?

• Advertisement

Chris89 wrote: »
    Where did you order from podge?

Got them here

http://www.nerlinger.com/

They were 115 inc. delivery, and I ordered Monday and got them today

They look seckeh, happy squatting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

How do you find the fit on them? I'm about a 10.5 in a Nike shoe. What size do you usually wear and what size did you get? I might just pick up a pair of the same.

Chris89 wrote: »
    How do you find the fit on them? I'm about a 10.5 in a Nike shoe. What size do you usually wear and what size did you get? I might just pick up a pair of the same.

I ordered a size 11, which is the same as I wear in regular Adidas shoes, and they fit perfectly. I think you would be pretty safe ordering your regular size, although I'm not sure how Nike sizes are compared to Adidas

I like CrossFit.
    I think its cool. It gets people in better shape and emphasises atmosphere and support while using proper exercises & techniques.

This baffles me though:

http://weightlifting.teamusa.org/news/2010/07/08/inaugural-crossfit-usa-weightlifting-open-comes-to-colorado-springs-oct-1-3/37121

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭smcclaw

I can see how partnering with Crossfit may be attractive to USA weightlifting as it will give athletes who may not be from the typical weightlifting background exposure to competitive weightlifting, and hopefully increase participation in and the profile of Olympic Lifting comps. Adding the crossfit element to the actual competition will likely make participation in an OL comp less foreboding for the crossift athletes. Without knowing the male/female split in each sport there may also be an element of trying to make weightlifting more accessible to women

It would be interesting to know the exact number and gender of participants in each sport.

Certainly an unusual combination alright..

G86 wrote: »
    Why?

Because I don't see the logic in partnering Olympic Weightlifting as in the sport of, with a crossfit WOD involving double unders.

I know what is going on, i.e. USAW are looking to capitalise on Crossfits popularity, but I don't see how this helps. They could have put box jumps in, maybe something thats not just light half versions of one of the other movements.....

It's a bit odd alright the two events together that is not the association between weightlifting and crossfit. The number of people oly lifting is exploding at the moment because of Crossfit won't be long before they are the majority at lifting meets! The only thing I can think of that might slow the progress is the rule against wearing board shorts and going topless on the platform :pac:

Why can't crossfitters just enter competitions?

Why does it Dave Asshat have to get involved?
    What does that triplet prove apart from the ability to skip, do warm up your clean repeatedly and some muscular endurance in pulling motions?

• Advertisement

Yeah don't disagree with any of that. They should just enter competitions and stop gheying everything up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Crossfitters are gonna get some shock when they realise those bars full with plates that weightlifters use actually weigh something.

As opposed to the obligatory enormous 10kg Crossfit plate standard.

How do they manage to spread 10kg out over such a large area?

Much fun to be had looking at the fan pics on Crossfit's facebook. Guys with 7plates dripping over the edge of the bar and the comments...

"Woah what is that 315lbs!?!?!? Beast!"

"No man it's 155lbs"

"Still bro good lifting. Beast!"

must see these pics straight away....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

podge57 wrote: »

1010331m.th.jpg

Niiiiiiice!!
    kevpants wrote: »
    Crossfitters are gonna get some shock when they realise those bars full with plates that weightlifters use actually weigh something.

As opposed to the obligatory enormous 10kg Crossfit plate standard.

How do they manage to spread 10kg out over such a large area?

Much fun to be had looking at the fan pics on Crossfit's facebook. Guys with 7plates dripping over the edge of the bar and the comments...

"Woah what is that 315lbs!?!?!? Beast!"

"No man it's 155lbs"

"Still bro good lifting. Beast!"

In fairness, the guys competing in the games at least are fairly decent lifters.

I think it's potentially a good match. Crossfit's done a lot to increase the popularity of weightlifting, and only if 1 in 50 of the people who try crossfit go on to take weightlifting seriously and compete, it'll be good for hte spot.

Hanley wrote: »

I think it's potentially a good match. Crossfit's done a lot to increase the popularity of weightlifting, and only if 1 in 50 of the people who try crossfit go on to take weightlifting seriously and compete, it'll be good for hte spot.

But this is happening by all accounts.
    And with ne'ry a double-under in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Got myself a portable door-frame chin-up bar this evening in argos. Been banging out chin-ups/pull-ups and push-ups all evening. Delighted, looks like a great investment at €28.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

podge57 wrote: »

1010331m.th.jpg

Linky Linky Linky...

Linky Linky Linky...

Posted it on the last page!

Here ya go:
    http://www.nerlinger.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8379514
    Muscle hypertrophy with large-scale weight loss and resistance training.

The combined effects of exercise and energy restriction on changes in body fat and fat-free mass (FFM) are controversial. This study was conducted to determine whether muscle hypertrophy is possible during weight loss. Fourteen obese females received a 3360-kJ/d liquid diet for 90 d. Seven subjects received a weight training (WT) regimen and seven subjects remained sedentary (C). Biopsy samples were obtained from the vastus lateralis muscle at baseline and after 90 d of treatment. The average weight loss over the 90-d period was 16 kg with approximately 24% of the weight loss from FFM and 76% from fat. The amount and composition of the weight loss did not differ between WT and C groups. The cross-sectional area of slow twitch and fast twitch fibers was unchanged by treatment in C subjects but significantly increased in WT subjects. It appears that weight training can produce hypertrophy in skeletal muscle during severe energy restriction and large-scale weight loss.
    Must be witches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

rubadub wrote: »

Not to nit-pick but it indicates that all subjects were fed a liquid diet without indicating the make-up of the diet. IMO this would have a huge influence in the outcome of the study.

Also how did 24% of the weight loss come from fat-free mass? Was it muscle atrophy? Dehydration? Bone mass loss? Any answer would bring into question both the diet undertaken and the training program recommended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

cc87 wrote: »
    Not to nit-pick but it indicates that all subjects were fed a liquid diet without indicating the make-up of the diet. IMO this would have a huge influence in the outcome of the study.

Yeah... but the argument all along has been you can't gain muscle on below maintenance kcals. Not "you can only gain muscle on below maintenance kcals when they have a specific macro ratio".

Thats a pretty extreme study.

Obese women, Highly restricted diet.....

Could it be that they were metabolising fat for energy and that was what was being used to fuel the muscle growth?
    Am I completely off here?

Do I only care because I'm Obese?

just back from Croke Park - can't believe that goal was given :(

What a kick in the balls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Terrible decision! Louth should have had the match in the bag earlier in the second half...14 wides and 2 balls driven into the keeper's hands is such a waste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Was there crowd trouble after??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Was there crowd trouble after??

Ya ref attacked and heard there was a few scuffles outside the ground as well

Rumours going round that a former meath manager was laid out in the tunnell aswell....as a meath man im sorry we had to win like this....but there is no excuse for what a handful of louth fans did afterwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Could see the frustration from the fans point of view, but to attack the ref was crazy..
    Thats the end of pitch invasions in croker now... Was only a matter of time, but they will have to stop it now, after that.

_JOE_ wrote: »
    Terrible decision! Louth should have had the match in the bag earlier in the second half...14 wides and 2 balls driven into the keeper's hands is such a waste!

Yep, not to mention the 2 goal chances in the first half. We should have been up by 4-5 by the time that goal went in, but I think nerves got the better of a couple of players.

In the Independent, it says Sean Boylan was involved in something, but he said it was nothing serious. Definitely no excuse for what happened afterwards, and the protection the ref was given was also laughable

I have very little interest in being in work today......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement