Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Must resist the urge not to deload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Does anyone mind if i turn off the interent for a few hours so i can get a power nap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

How big is too big for your bulk belly to get before it's time to ease off the carbs again?

Chris89 wrote: »
    How big is too big for your bulk belly to get before it's time to ease off the carbs again?

Find a recent pic of itsallabouttheL if your that size...tis time to back off...

I'm getting a certain degree of overlap when I bend down to tie a shoelace. It's not pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I'm getting a certain degree of overlap when I bend down to tie a shoelace. It's not pleasant.

Embrace your obesity.
    All the cool kids are doing it.:cool:

I need a metcon for tonight...

Outside of the crossfit ones anyone got anything interesting?

Please note ill be after a 4 mile run!! so maybe a 15-20 min completion time...

I was goign to start a seperate thread on it where we could keep a list of all the metcons...meh maybe later

Deadlifts and burpees are a sick combo.

10 deadlifts one burpee, 9 deads 2 burpees, all the way to one deadlifts ten burpees. Won't take 20 mins but can be done twice!

Deadlifts and burpees are a sick combo.

10 deadlifts one burpee, 9 deads 2 burpees, all the way to one deadlifts ten burpees. Won't take 20 mins but can be done twice!

christ...what weight deadlifts... that will take me 40 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

@the drifter

Do you have KB's?

M

• Advertisement

I was goign to start a seperate thread on it where we could keep a list of all the metcons...meh maybe later

Louies Revenge.

100 Pushups on Physics Books.
    For Time.

B-Builder wrote: »
    @the drifter

Do you have KB's?

M

Yes sir i do....

Whatever you want I guess. I just use bodyweight, or at least what my bodyweight was before I got fat.

It absolouteoy destroys me everytime I do it. And it's relatively short so you won't get bored and if you still have any gas in the tank just go again.

@the drifter

Ok then give this a try and see how you get on

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66852307&postcount=3

My best times are 15:46 for round 1 and 21:38 for round 2 :eek:

This is my planned workout for this evening with 16kg KB's :D:D:D

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

rubadub wrote: »
    judging by the description of the subjects, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them didn't have any experience with weight training. Beginners are usually mentioned as the exception to the no muscle gain on a calorie deficit rule

B-Builder wrote: »
    @the drifter

Ok then give this a try and see how you get on

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66852307&postcount=3

My best times are 15:46 for round 1 and 21:38 for round 2 :eek:

This is my planned workout for this evening with 16kg KB's :D:D:D

M

Ah here...your trying to kill me!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

10 kettle bell swings & 10 pushups, on the minute, every minute...

10 minutes, tops

ragg wrote: »

10 minutes, tops

This sounds a bit better after a 4 mile run!

Ah here...your trying to kill me!!!!!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :D:D:D

I'll be doing two rounds and I am suffering DOMS from gym yesterday

M

• Advertisement

This sounds a bit better after a 4 mile run!

FYI - its pretty grueling, you have to start at the top of the minute, every time... It gets pretty tough pretty quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100712.p.Mens_Running_Shorts

Cycling type shorts for the days when leg rub gets too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

10 minutes, tops

Death by C and J is waaay cooler :cool:

FYI - its pretty grueling, you have to start at the top of the minute, every time... It gets pretty tough pretty quickly

you evil evil little person......

you evil evil little person......

:)
    How many rounds you get?

• Advertisement

10...id prob do more if i was fresh but i changed my run route mid way to add in hills.

ok metcon for tomorrow please :P if i have time... i need me a p.a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hanley wrote: »
    Yeah... but the argument all along has been you can't gain muscle on below maintenance kcals. Not "you can only gain muscle on below maintenance kcals when they have a specific macro ratio".
    I would not even mention "maintenance calories" as it just complicates things e.g. how do you arrive at a figure for this number, and how long a time are you talking about. If my maintenance intake is 2400kcal per day then it is 100kcal per hour and if I eat 200kcal in one hour and nothing else that day then was I in a deficit or surplus for that hour.

I would just simply say the question is can you gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, and by "the same time" I am not talking about some instantaneous moment -perhaps there is some mechanism which prevents this but at the same time for me would mean maybe in the same week -the frequency you often see recommended to weigh yourself.

I don't think anybody would doubt the fact a person could put on muscle and lose fat over a year, so when does it suddenly become and complete and utter impossibility? Could a person put on muscle and lose fat over 6months? what about 3 months? 1 week? 1 day?
    ray jay wrote: »
    judging by the description of the subjects, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them didn't have any experience with weight training. Beginners are usually mentioned as the exception to the no muscle gain on a calorie deficit rule
    Some will not mention beginners and just state that it is a 100% physical impossibility, and that the statement is completely irrefutable as it is backed up by physical laws. I think I saw the laws of thermodynamics mentioned 2-3times in the last week, and saying it would defy these laws. Now I could imagine Stephen Hawking saying the laws of thermodynamics might not hold true in a wormhole or blackhole, but to say fat chicks defy the laws of thermodynamics would be ludicrous (I know you are not saying this ray jay)

If only beginners can do it, then you could say "the VAST MAJORITY of the population are able to put on muscle and lose fat at the same time." It also brings up the question of what is a beginner and when do you stop being one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ok metcon for tomorrow please :P if i have time... i need me a p.a

Dips
    Burpees (jump to alternating sides of the barbell between each one)
    Clean and press

Start at 10 reps for each, then 9 and so on
    So if you are stuck, drop it to starting at 5 then 4 etc

Mellor wrote: »
    Dips
    Burpees (jump to alternating sides of the barbell between each one)
    Clean and press

Start at 10 reps for each, then 9 and so on
    So if you are stuck, drop it to starting at 5 then 4 etc

similar enough to what im doing tonight..
    don't have time for a full training session, so will do something like

10 clean and press
    15 press ups
    15 inverted rows
    400 Meter run

repeat 3 or 4 times in and out in half an hour including warm up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

500m run
    20 Burpees
    50 Box Hops
    500m run
    20 Burpees
    50 Squats
    500m run
    20 Burpees
    50 KB Swings
    500 run
    20 Burpees
    50 Push Ups

It's from the Cleaveland CF blog, it's like the holy grail of metcons, there's a huge backlog of them :D

As for being under 20mins, that's up to you:pac:

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    500m run
    20 Burpees
    50 Box Hops
    500m run
    20 Burpees
    50 Squats
    500m run
    20 Burpees
    50 KB Swings
    500 run
    20 Burpees
    50 Push Ups

It's from the Cleaveland CF blog, it's like the holy grail of metcons, there's a huge backlog of them :D

As for being under 20mins, that's up to you:pac:

I'd forget what i was supposed to be doing half way through and just walk around the gym looking lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I'd forget what i was supposed to be doing half way through and just walk around the gym looking lost

There's also no pauses for puking.

The lord knows that burpees should be renamed pukees

oh god...i dunno...its going to be done after jujitsu tonight so id say a pukefest is well on the cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I'm going to take a crack at one of these tonight, I'll report back. I think ragg's one, G86's just looks like a really, really **** time :D

Someone do the deadlift burpee one. It's really quick and free you do it loads of hot girls will ask you to go on romantic dates with them.

Someone do the deadlift burpee one. It's really quick and free you do it loads of hot girls will ask you to go on romantic dates with them.

i demand you prove this fact with loads of studies by accredited universities!!

DamienH wrote: »
    G86's just looks like a really, really **** time :D

I did a similar one last week, except was a 200m/500m/750m/200m run and it was with 20/50/50/20 Box Hops and KB Swings, took 34 mins.. and I nearly died even at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

d'Oracle wrote: »

WTF. that's all i have to say about that.

Case y'all didn't know.

He is getting close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

hanley's log is gone half way down page 2... when's the last time that happened?!

similar enough to what im doing tonight..
    don't have time for a full training session, so will do something like

10 clean and press
    15 press ups
    15 inverted rows
    400 Meter run

repeat 3 or 4 times in and out in half an hour including warm up

did anyone do this tonight?? It was fúcking brutal. My hands are still quivering after it.. FML

did anyone do this tonight?? It was fúcking brutal. My hands are still quivering after it.. FML

Time?:D

I should really have timed it shouldn't I....

Never even thought of it.. Will time it next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Just picked up some liquid chalk today.......time to go deadlift my car :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Oh sorry have i stumbled into the gheyness forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Oh sorry have i stumbled into the gheyness forum?

I thought you were the king of that forum.....

Ever hear of Kaatsu training.
    http://drsquat.com/content/kaatsu-training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

rubadub wrote: »
    Ever hear of Kaatsu training.
    http://drsquat.com/content/kaatsu-training

Where's the fun in that?

• Advertisement

mloc wrote: »
    Where's the fun in that?
    I thought the same thing, its the same as my theory on why negative only training is not that popular, its to easy to do so people feel they are being lazy.

It is interesting stuff though, could be 2 birds with one stone type thing, one study was on people just walking at a slow pace but with blood flow restricted to the legs and they got bigger, so if you were going for a walk or a cycle you could benefit more just by having straps on your legs. It could also be useful to people with limited equipment. e.g. it would seem I could do squats at a fairly low weight (I have no rack but could press 60kg up and onto my back) and still get a large dose of HGH being released which could aid upper body too.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/ABCocclusionpaper.pdf
    The EMG data also revealed no difference between low intensity occlusion training and high intensity exercise (Moritani, Michael-Sherman, Shibata, Matsumoto, & Shinohara, 1992; Takarada, Tsuruta, & Ishii , 2004). This means that despite the light weight, the firing rate mimics that of heavy resistance training.
    Occlusion training with low intensities has shown increases in lactate and growth hormone (GH). The increase in GH has actually been shown to be even higher than that seen with heavy resistance training. One study in athletes showed a 290x increase in GH over baseline
    As far as occlusion for the upper body, an interesting paper from Madarame et al. (2008) has shown that one can receive benefits of occlusion for the upper body by occluding the lower body. This cross-over effect is likely attributed to the large increase in hormones due to the larger muscles of the leg musculature. The larger quadriceps will increase hormones more so than the smaller biceps. Madarame showed that when occlusion of the legs followed a light upperbody exercise, it resulted in significant hypertrophy.
    The mTOR pathway has also been shown to be activated with low intensity occlusion training (Fujita, et al., 2007). This pathway is responsible for protein synthesis. Phosphorylation of S6k1 was increased by three-fold following occlusion training and remained elevated at 3 hours post exercise. This increase in protein synthesis means the body is primed for muscle growth.

I was reading up about doing isometrics for 5mins at a time and it said it could have a similar effect, trapping the blood in the muscle for a long time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement