Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I Hear David Carradine did all his exercise that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I guess it depends on what your goals are. Given that you have reduced blood flow to the area being excercised, I'd imagine you'll be left with some fairly wicked DOMS. Oxidative stress should be a lot higher as well.

The only worry I'd have is people occluding the vessels to an extreme degree, which is obviously very dangerous. If you stopped venous return in a large limb like a leg, combined with an inflammatory stimulus such as exercise, I'd imagine your chances of thrombosis would be a lot higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

One of the comments in that link makes a valid point

How do you cut off circulation to your back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mloc wrote: »
    Given that you have reduced blood flow to the area being excercised, I'd imagine you'll be left with some fairly wicked DOMS.
    You are only using 50% RM weights though, it warns against going higher in the second link.
    I would recommend that one not occlude a muscle for more than 30 minutes at a time
    This is purely a safety concern. One must understand the difference between acute and chronic effects. Acute blood flow restriction is a definite positive, but chronically cutting off blood flow would likely result in actual tissue death.
    • Never use occlusion with anything above 50% 1RM
    As bodybuilders, we often fall into the trap of more is better. If a person would use occlusion with heavy lifting; 1) they are defeating the point of occlusion training; 2) it doesn’t appear to have a synergistic effect anyway (Laurentino, et al., 2008); and 3) I believe this could cause potential harm to the body.
    • Wrap the knee wraps tight, but not crazy tight (We want moderate occlusion, not full occlusion)
    This goes back to the phrase, moderate blood-flow restriction, NOT COMPLETE. We only need a moderate change to receive benefit.
    • If you have any indications of impaired endothelial function (Diabetics included), DO NOT OCCLUDE
    If a person already has an impaired vascular system, I would urge them not to try occlusion as it could be very dangerous to there well-being.
    On another forum a guy is doing the extended ISOs and said while it is very stressful at the time the next day he is fine. On another site I read that totall occlusion is not as effective as partial, and they have fancy equipment for pressuring your arms which costs a fortune. I bet there is another way to create a band and calibrate it.
    Vegeta wrote: »
    How do you cut off circulation to your back??
    There is research out of Fujita’s laboratory in Japan that suggests that one can hypertrophy the chest, by occluding the upper portion of the arm. The idea is that during the bench press, the triceps would fatigue fast, resulting in a higher recruitment of the chest to pick up the load. One would also suspect that the same could be done for the back, by occluding the arm in the same spot (very top of the arm). Theoretically, during a lat pull down, occluding the biceps would cause a higher recruitment of fibers from the back.
    But the other way is to forget about it, just occlude the legs after the back workout and you still get the benefit of all the growth hormone being released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Pole push making an appearence on this years Irelands strongest man. Possibly my favourite event to watch and I'm gonna miss it. Damn.
    2. Pole Push
    A head to head event that involving a form of Celtic wrestling from the ages, a very apt event for a tough Celtic Clash to fight for the Finn McCool Trophy

http://www.irishstrongman.com/competitions/viewdetails.asp?ID=73

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I've spent the morning in the company of Brian Cowen. He's so short. I also really wanted to send him a link to that Metcon thread...

Happy Birthday to the drifter :D:D:D

127139,xcitefun-happy-birthday.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

g'em wrote: »
    I've spent the morning in the company of Brian Cowen. He's so short. I also really wanted to send him a link to that Metcon thread...

It would have been more productive to slap him upside the head with a 20kg plate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

you keep that little fooker out of my thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has anybody any idea in effect how much weight you are lifting in a BW squat? e.g. I know a chinup is around 95%+ as you do not lift your forearms, of a pushup might be 70% or so.

So if I am 100kg and doing a pushup I am really experiencing 70kg, so if I want to up my resistance by 50% I should add about 35kg, rather than 50% of my BW.

So if you were 100kg and could squat 100kg then if you are lifting say 50% BW in a normal squat you are actually lifting the equivalent of 150kg. Therefore when using calculators or other estimates you could say your true 1RM is 150kg and so a regular BW squat is 33% of your 1RM.

This could be estimated using calculators, but most people could do far too many BW squats to input it.

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=18

e.g. if a you click on that you see 10 reps at 200lb. So if a 200lb man can do 10BW squats the calculator estimates a 1RM of 266lb. So if the guy can manage a 1RM with 166lb you can estimate that the missing 100lb was the resistance of his own BW, in which case the squat would be 50% of his BW.

I want to this as I am doing that Kaatsu /occlusion training I wrote about before. The more I read about it the more amazed I am, and shocked I have not heard about it before. Seems it would ideal as a warmup for people too, even just walk 20min to the gym and arrive flooded with growth hormone.

Loads of studies here http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=0&q=kaatsu&hl=en&as_sdt=2000

how to restrict the chest was asked before, I found this.
    It is known that low-intensity resistance exercise
    with restricted venous blood flow (KAATSU)
    (Takarada et al., 2000; 2002) or occluded blood flow
    (Moritani et al., 1992) has been shown to result in an
    increase in the integrated EMG of the active limb
    muscle. However, it is unknown whether the
    increase in EMG activity during multi-joint exercise
    with KAATSU or blood flow occlusion could be
    achieved, not only in the limb muscle, but also in
    trunk muscles. Our findings demonstrated that
    increases in iEMG activity was observed in both limb
    (triceps brachii) and trunk (pectoralis major) muscles
    during low-intensity KAATSU bench press exercise.
    The results of this study support our hypothesis that
    EMG activity is increased by the synergistic action of
    blood flow restriction in both limb muscles and nonrestricted
    trunk muscles in the shoulder joint.
    KAATSU exercise-induced increases in EMG activity
    in the trunk muscle may be one of the important
    factors for the muscle hypertrophy seen in the trunk
    muscle following low-intensity KAATSU resistance
    training in a previous study (Abe et al. 2005)

Could be good for fat loss too.
    In addition,
    KAATSU training increases the amount of circulating
    growth hormone (GH) (Takarada et al., 2000a;
    Takano et al., 2005a,b; Sato et al., 2005), which may
    enhance lipolysis and bone formation, resulting in a
    reduction of obesity and bone diseases as well as
    improving strength and inducing hypertrophy of
    muscle (Beekley et al., 2005). Also, GH stimulates the
    liver to secrete insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1)
    (Abe et al., 2005a), which may improve the function
    of endothelium and insulin sensitivity. Thus, until
    now, KAATSU training has been widely used in
    healthy subjects and athletes, and has also been
    applied to various kinds of conditions such as
    orthopedic diseases, obesity and diabetes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

L spilled a full pint last night, and broke a glass... mess :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

rubadub wrote: »
    Has anybody any idea in effect how much weight you are lifting in a BW squat? e.g. I know a chinup is around 95%+ as you do not lift your forearms, of a pushup might be 70% or so.

So if I am 100kg and doing a pushup I am really experiencing 70kg, so if I want to up my resistance by 50% I should add about 35kg, rather than 50% of my BW.

So if you were 100kg and could squat 100kg then if you are lifting say 50% BW in a normal squat you are actually lifting the equivalent of 150kg. Therefore when using calculators or other estimates you could say your true 1RM is 150kg and so a regular BW squat is 33% of your 1RM.

This could be estimated using calculators, but most people could do far too many BW squats to input it.

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=18

e.g. if a you click on that you see 10 reps at 200lb. So if a 200lb man can do 10BW squats the calculator estimates a 1RM of 266lb. So if the guy can manage a 1RM with 166lb you can estimate that the missing 100lb was the resistance of his own BW, in which case the squat would be 50% of his BW.

I want to this as I am doing that Kaatsu /occlusion training I wrote about before. The more I read about it the more amazed I am, and shocked I have not heard about it before. Seems it would ideal as a warmup for people too, even just walk 20min to the gym and arrive flooded with growth hormone.

Loads of studies here http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=0&q=kaatsu&hl=en&as_sdt=2000

how to restrict the chest was asked before, I found this.

Could be good for fat loss too.

hexplode.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Parsley wrote: »
    L spilled a full pint last night, and broke a glass... mess :pac:

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

i might have to go out for a scoop or two tonight if the Rossies can kick on in the 2nd half and finish Sligo off

boo!

boo!

gwan the Rossies!

Ill be in Flannerys with a Roscommon jersey on later!

can't believe how many points we gave to shine, you can't play properly for only 25 minutes and win it seems. Well done Liam, I suppose. :(

can't believe how many points we gave to shine, you can't play properly for only 25 minutes and win it seems. Well done Liam, I suppose. :(

I cant believe Costello was left so wide open to get 5 screamers from play.

to beat mayo and galway and NOT win a Connacht SFC is pretty sick though.

He is a lethal player, but from the looks of things they decided to close off Kelly from the game and couldn't do it to everyone. Far too many fouls committed and far too many 50:50 balls missed though, can't expect to win like that. Roscommon midfield was supposed to be weak but turned out to dominate Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Berkhan on boozin' and training. I think I like this guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Another poxy running injury.

Excellent.

My weightlifting(ish) shoes have arrived.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

[scratches head/] wow [scratches head]

weight stable....callipers down...belt on my jeans down another notch...fitness up...strenght returning.....WIN!

oh and more importantly....i slept alllll last night! :P

weight stable....callipers down...belt on my jeans down another notch...fitness up...strenght returning.....WIN!

so you're getting skinny? You realise myself and Byrdie (and many others) will never, ever, ever let you live this down?

so you're getting skinny? You realise myself and Byrdie (and many others) will never, ever, ever let you live this down?

i will accept the outcome of my actions... id never have survived this long in UL if i had feelings g'em :D

That's a good point actually. Well now that Byrdie will be spending so much time in the big schmoke maybe you can take over as the resident smart-arse?! :pac:

Oh and I should probably wait until I get the official we're open from the lads but East Coast Barbell is pure awesome. Four squat racks, three permanent platforms and one big central platform for general use. Dedicated prehab/ warm-up area with med-balls and bands and whatnot and loads of new equipment on its way in. It's a Carlsberg gym :D

That's a good point actually. Well now that Byrdie will be spending so much time in the big schmoke maybe you can take over as the resident smart-arse?! :pac:

Oh and I should probably wait until I get the official we're open from the lads but East Coast Barbell is pure awesome. Four squat racks, three permanent platforms and one big central platform for general use. Dedicated prehab/ warm-up area with med-balls and bands and whatnot and loads of new equipment on its way in. It's a Carlsberg gym :D

byrdie was never at my level of being a smart-arse....he could only dream of being as good as me at it...

• Advertisement

...while you could only dream of being as strong as him? :p

g'em....the entire country dreams of hitting his weights at his bodyweight...

g'em....the entire country dreams of hitting his weights at his bodyweight...

I'd be happy enough to hit his weight at MY bodyweight.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough to hit his weight at MY bodyweight.

well he could help with that - he's going to be working in ECB :D \o/

just saw this and thought of you :D

http://www.threadless.com/product/1000/Runnin_Rhino

mwhaaaaaaaaaa brilliant....

• Advertisement

well he could help with that - he's going to be working in ECB :D \o/

I was going to pick you up on the schmoke comment there, but then I realised that ECB is actually in Co. Dublin.

On another utterly useless note, the whole ECB thing could be confusing for me. Its also the initials of the England and Wales Cricket Board.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    On another utterly useless note, the whole ECB thing could be confusing for me. Its also the initials of the England and Wales Cricket Board.
    There's also an East Coast Barbell Powerlifting Club in North Carolina. It could all get very confusing...

Ya ECB has to go g'em..... it strikes the fear into me with my morgtage! :P

Ya ECB has to go g'em..... it strikes the fear into me with my morgtage! :P

you have a mortgage?!??! My faith in banks just plummeted, again :(

I won't refer to it anymore so.

Until it opens and I have loads of pictures and info and I can temporarily abuse my Mod priviliges talking about it...

Anyone able to give me a heads uP on ordering weighlifting shoes when it comes to sizes?

I have picked out a pair but want to the the size right before I order. They're Adidas. Should I go for a size bigger or is half a size bigger enough?
    I wear size 11 in Aasics trainers. Thanks for any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

There's also an East Coast Barbell Powerlifting Club in North Carolina. It could all get very confusing...

When I seen you first post re ECB I actually thought you were living it up across the pond :D

Then I discovered you were in tropical Miltown :o

M

B-Builder wrote: »
    Then I discovered you were in tropical Miltown :o
    Miltown?? where's that?

I have picked out a pair but want to the the size right before I order. They're Adidas. Should I go for a size bigger or is half a size bigger enough?
    I wear size 11 in Aasics trainers. Thanks for any help

I went a half size up with the Ironworks and they're fine, perhaps even a little big. Depends if you're getting US or UK sizes I think... although it's so long since I got mine I can't really be sure.

Sorry, that's of absolutely no help to you at all is it? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Miltown?? where's that?

Is that not where ECB is located in Dublin?

M

No it's down in Bray, in the estate off the Dublin Road just after the first M50 roundabout :)

\end plug

No it's down in Bray, in the estate off the Dublin Road just after the first M50 roundabout :)

\end plug

what no google maps directions or anything? sigh.....

sorry, I'll stop now :o:D

You did ask though. Sort of :pac:

how much water is everyone drinking a day...im up on 4ltrs now...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement