Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What about a pair of tights?

Swipped this from another site
    AWESOME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Did anyone else hear that Stoitsov is going to compete for Azerbaijan now!??!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭SpookyBastard

Yeah. Read something about that. Apparently 5 Bulgarian lifters have been given Azerbaijani passports this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Been reading up on intermittent fasting. And I just realised that my 'miraculous' loss of a few kg a while back may have been because I was doing this without even realising it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_bar

I read it as health bar first time too....

MEB where did you get that wonderous feed?

I didn't actually make/eat that myself.. I'm not a total scumbag. :pac:

It's from here..
    http://www.thisiswhyyourefat.com/
    Epic website!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

May not be the place, but.... I want to incorporate the squat into my routine. I want to build power in the legs/lower body. I play soccer so I am not looking to get super big. advice please.

Secondly I read here that the smith machine is not good for squatting? Why? The reason I ask is there is no squat rack in my gym. If I want to use the free barbell I have to hoist it over my head. I can do this comfortably up to 30kg but due to a twice dislocated shoulder I am not too comfortable in lifting any higher weight over my head in such a fashion. Spotting is not an option as I don't like spotting others I don't ask for help. The gym for me is a solitary slog and I want to keep it that way, as I like it best.

Any advice is as always gratefully accepted. Please bear in mind I am not a huge gym enthusiast so if my questioning sounds basic it's because it is basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

no squat rack in my gym. .

Then it's not a gym. Anywho if you can clean the weight to chest height you could front squat. Or maybe lunges?

The range of movement in a smith machine is next to zero, you're natural movement in a full squat is like a long arc. The two aren't compatible .

Look up Crossack squats, weight can be added by simply holding a dumbbell/pate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

May not be the place, but.... I want to incorporate the squat into my routine. I want to build power in the legs/lower body. I play soccer so I am not looking to get super big. advice please.

Secondly I read here that the smith machine is not good for squatting? Why? The reason I ask is there is no squat rack in my gym. If I want to use the free barbell I have to hoist it over my head. I can do this comfortably up to 30kg but due to a twice dislocated shoulder I am not too comfortable in lifting any higher weight over my head in such a fashion. Spotting is not an option as I don't like spotting others I don't ask for help. The gym for me is a solitary slog and I want to keep it that way, as I like it best.

Any advice is as always gratefully accepted. Please bear in mind I am not a huge gym enthusiast so if my questioning sounds basic it's because it is basic.

I'd just deadlift and leg press if was you. Not ideal but it's better than smith squats.

If you can learn to clean, clean and front squat would be great but realistically if you don't get coached your clean will limit your squat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I didn't actually make/eat that myself.. I'm not a total scumbag. :pac:

That's no good! :(

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    I'd just deadlift and leg press if was you. Not ideal but it's better than smith squats.

If you can learn to clean, clean and front squat would be great but realistically if you don't get coached your clean will limit your squat

I am tall 6'4" I find the deadlift awful severe on the back. It may be technique (it probably is) but Deadlift's leave me in a hoop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I got told I've body dysmorphia tonight. They were probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Hanley wrote: »

"Bigorexia" :D

Scuba Ste wrote: »

Even more awesome from the front view. Unreal save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I am tall 6'4" I find the deadlift awful severe on the back. It may be technique (it probably is) but Deadlift's leave me in a hoop.

I cant fcukin talk but height shouldn't be an issue for deadlift.Andy boltons 6:2 and konstinovs is 6:4.Having said that Im 6:2 and my dead sucks ass so Im not sure what point Im to make here..

Remmy wrote: »
    I cant fcukin talk but height shouldn't be an issue for deadlift.Andy boltons 6:2 and konstinovs is 6:4.Having said that Im 6:2 and my dead sucks ass so Im not sure what point Im to make here..

Height isn't the issue. It's proportion.

Flexibility can also be an issue. My left side is much tighter than my right. Last time deadlifting my left side felt as if i had sudden doms, and this was during the 60kg x 10 warm up. i stretched between each set, and by the time i had reached my max this stiffness had vanished. I have two stretches that seem to do the business.

• Advertisement

Height isn't the issue. It's proportion.

I'd be long in the leg.

I'd be long in the leg.

That'd explain it. Pretty difficult to get into a good start position with long legs at that height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

LOL, i had written that earlier, decided it was too close to the truth and just ended up settling for sending a list of the crap i had eaten today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,642 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ship the 100kg x8 squat @ 79kg, feel shorter today :D
    Should be good for 1 rep of 1.5BW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Body scans of various real athletes.
    There's something stirring about an athlete in motion -- the ferocity of a wrestler shooting on his opponent, the grace of a guard dribbling in traffic, the bravado of a gymnast dismounting the beam. But an athlete in stillness can be just as moving. We took a 3-D scan machine to Penn State, one of the nation's largest (325-plus scholarship athletes) and smartest (82% graduation rate) athletics programs, to capture the forms of one Lion from each of the school's 29 varsity sports. What's the cut of a women's fencing champ? How does a women's All-Big Ten soccer star compare to a men's all-conference lacrosse attacker? And what does a 256-pound tackling machine look like stripped of his armor? All good questions, with awesome answers offered by the 29 athletes representing PSU's singular Student Body.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5652746

Click on CHECK OUT THE PSU ATHLETES

rubadub wrote: »
    Body scans of various real athletes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5652746

Click on CHECK OUT THE PSU ATHLETES

Alot of male runners who look at that are gonna wonder why they didn't take up gymnastics...:P

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    Alot of male runners who look at that are gonna wonder why they didn't take up gymnastics...:P

Why?

Why?

A picture tells a thousand words.

G86 wrote: »

About what? You still havn't answered the question, why are ' Alot of male runners who look at that are gonna wonder why they didn't take up gymnastics'?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

G86 wrote:
    No it doesn't. It's just 'cause then G86 would fancy them. And with good cause!

No it doesn't. It's just 'cause then G86 would fancy them. And with good cause!

Well..if you wanna put it like that....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

They all look fairly similar. Why didn't they just take a flippin' picture? What's with the stupid looking scans? And look at their hands!!!

Khannie wrote: »
    They all look fairly similar. Why didn't they just take a flippin' picture? What's with the stupid looking scans? And look at their hands!!!

I thought the lineman in the football was carrying a few kg round the midriff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I thought the lineman in the football was carrying a few kg round the midriff.

Which helps with the not being moved or moving folk who don't move easily.

Depending on whether he was offensive or defensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Sorry moderating people, but I have to post this. Maths isn't my strong point.
    In a recently closed thread some bloke wanted to buy a squat rack instead of a power cage. Is it only me or is the powercage smaller?

I cant buy a power cage as it wont fit :(

Anyone here has a rack like this one - http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gym/1571410 is it any good ???

L108 x W158 x H190cm Rack

L106 X W123 X H209.6 cm heavy power cage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

squod wrote: »
    L108 x W158 x H190cm Rack

L106 X W123 X H209.6 cm heavy power cage

The Rack is shorter which might be it though the last time I saw a room smaller than 2 metres high was when I broke into that dwarf's house. Snow White went mental.

The Rack is shorter which might be it though the last time I saw a room smaller than 2 metres high was when I broke into that dwarf's house. Snow White went mental.
    Even the diagonal of the cage is less than the min ceiling height. So you should be able to assemble lying down and roll into place

Khannie wrote: »
    That's the problem, its a picture of a scan.
    Trying to broadcast this info over the net is pointless, as the interesting part is the 3D element, rotating the bodies in different planes etc. Which we can't do with out the software, (will they open in CAD? :D)

bbsquats1.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Is Mick from Irish-lifting now 21inchguns? Just looking to contact him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sangre wrote: »
    Is Mick from Irish-lifting now 21inchguns? Just looking to contact him.
    He was, and then I think I saw him post as Mickk again, I think he reregistered after the hacking and might have found his old login details again. You could always pm both names, and/or email irish lifting.

• Advertisement

d'Oracle wrote: »
    bbsquats1.gif

knees travelling too far forward!

Form Nazi.

don't complain to me when his knees are ****ed so!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

hes an oly lifter, note the high bar and white ironworks hes rockin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Got my first muscle up this evening :) Twas dodgy but it counts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Molly wrote: »
    Got my first muscle up this evening :) Twas dodgy but it counts!

Well done. Very slowly working towards doing one, it still feels a long way away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

1L low fat milk + 2 sachets of Cadburys Highlights = awesome make-shift chocolate milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

g'em wrote: »
    1L low fat milk + 2 sachets of Cadburys Highlights = awesome make-shift chocolate milk.

Can't stomach whole food anymore granny?

/runs away

Re-FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Got in contact with him and was just up at his place in Sandyford. Turns out I recgonise him as a WW gym regular. Great service and gets a thumbs up from me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement