Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Had an Ultimate Jack Daniels Sauce Burger or whatever it's called in TGI Friday's today. So good. It's stacked ridiculously tall but not 'cause of filler - plenty of beef and bacon.
    Oh stupidly priced but I had a special offer thing I was availing of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I'm gonna throw this out there:
    Gourmet Burger Kitchen have the best burgers, ever!

Feck going to Gourmet burger. Get down to the supermarket.

Then do this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/philly-burger-recipe/index.html

Simple.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Had an Ultimate Jack Daniels Sauce Burger or whatever it's called in TGI Friday's today. So good. It's stacked ridiculously tall but not 'cause of filler - plenty of beef and bacon.
    Oh stupidly priced but I had a special offer thing I was availing of.
    jesus that sounds awesome must have that soon!

I was famished after the gym today so I had a papa johns two person meal by myself..garlic bread,wedges,perperoni pizza and two cans of coke.I didnt feel bad ordering it because the person behind the counter thought It was for two people.;)I be sneaky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

half pounder from the kebab hut as soakage tonight, if its not 8oz of meat its not worth talking about tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I just started rereading Preacher: Gone to Texas.

I find myself reading Sherriff Root in Mark Rippetoes voice.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Made a pig of myself this weekend.

Mellor wrote: »

Any Burgers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Seen a guy in the gym lie on the bench with the bar loaded and above his chest, he then proceeded to do leg raises to the bar. Can someone explain this to me:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Seen a guy in the gym lie on the bench with the bar loaded and above his chest, he then proceeded to do leg raises to the bar. Can someone explain this to me:confused:

Floor wipers - ab exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I feel your pain. I've been on the batter the past 7 nights!! Spending a small fortune in my local chipper on spice burgers and battered sausages.
    Got a packet of Walsh's spice burgers from Tescos over the weekend.. just not the same. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

yup..I can empathise aswell:(:(..burgers nah...chocolate..yes please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Someone needs to teach me how to low bar squat before i break my everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I had you squatting just fine...then you went off training by yourself and lost everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

whats wrong with your high bar position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

COH....

He fixes things.

• Advertisement

whats wrong with your high bar position?

his bar position is fine....its when the rest of him tries to do a good morning is when the problems start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Any Burgers?
    Friend came over for the weekend, long story short, i got the munchies.
    Basically chips, chicken wraps, nuggets and icecream.
    No burgers, well the wrap is from a burger place, just got it on a wrap, epic tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hanley wrote: »
    Floor wipers - ab exercise.

I was looking at 300 workout and saw the floor wipers being done, I can't decide if they're the stupidest exercise I've ever seen, or the most awesome!

Either way I'll be trying them out, are they done on the bench or the floor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I was looking at 300 workout and saw the floor wipers being done, I can't decide if they're the stupidest exercise I've ever seen, or the most awesome!

Either way I'll be trying them out, are they done on the bench or the floor?

Have seen guys in my gym doing them on both the bench and the floor. Tbh is I was going to try them I would do the the first few times using the power cage, Just in case :)

And if you want some more ideas for targeting your abs

M

B-Builder wrote: »
    Have seen guys in my gym doing them on both the bench and the floor. Tbh is I was going to try them I would do the the first few times using the power cage, Just in case :)

That's like cutting off your testicles before you have sex for the first time.... just in case.

• Advertisement

That's like cutting off your testicles before you have sex for the first time.... just in case.

I see it as more of a safety precaution, more like wearing a raincoat than self mutilation tbh :)

M

I see it as more of a safety precaution, more like wearing a raincoat than self mutilation tbh :)

M

So use a spotter, i don't see how you could do them in a rack with the safeties up tbh ?

Safeties would be 4-6 inches below the bar when your arms are extended, but still well above your head. I just think it would be a little safer the first time you try floor wipers. You still support the weight above your head, but should you lose balance, then the safeties will catch the weight.

Honestly don't think it would be that difficult to do in a rack tbh. I mean I have seen folks do floor presses in the rack, laying on the floor and doing a type of bench press.

M

Safeties would be 4-6 inches below the bar when your arms are extended, but still well above your head. I just think it would be a little safer the first time you try floor wipers. You still support the weight above your head, but should you lose balance, then the safeties will catch the weight.

Honestly don't think it would be that difficult to do in a rack tbh. I mean I have seen folks do floor presses in the rack, laying on the floor and doing a type of bench press.

M

You're forgetting your legs in this whole equation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭COH

G86 wrote: »
    COH....

He fixes things.

Shut up.. I dont want more people annoying me in work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

COH wrote: »
    Shut up.. I dont want more people annoying me in work!

Work?? Is that what you're calling it now?:D

Anyhows, there's an opening seeing as I'm not there anymore!

You're forgetting your legs in this whole equation

Em, no I am not. I only need the top half of my torso in the cage to take advantage of the safety bars. My legs can be outside of the cage and free to move as required.

I am only suggesting this as a safe way to get used to holding the bar over head while you are moving your legs. Once you get used to this you would move out on to the floor/bench.

M

Em, no I am not. I only need the top half of my torso in the cage to take advantage of the safety bars. My legs can be outside of the cage and free to move as required.

I am only suggesting this as a safe way to get used to holding the bar over head while you are moving your legs. Once you get used to this you would move out on to the floor/bench.

M

erm....

floorwipers...

if your legs were outside the cage...and you needed to bring them up to touch the plates...wouldnt the cage get in the way?

I am suggesting this simply as a method to get used to holding the weight up, while moving your legs. So you get used to stabilising the weight and don't drop it.

I honestly don't think that anybody, whether in a cage or not is going to be hitting perfect form and tipping the plates with their toes on their first attempts. Now I am sure there will be a few that can but IMO most won't be able to hit correct form first time out.

As I said I just think that there could be some benefit in using the cage to get used to stabilising the weight while you move the lower part of you body from side to side, even if you only moved your legs from the 12 o clock position to 9 and back and then 12 to 3 and back.

M

I am suggesting this simply as a method to get used to holding the weight up, while moving your legs. So you get used to stabilising the weight and don't drop it.

I honestly don't think that anybody, whether in a cage or not is going to be hitting perfect form and tipping the plates with their toes on their first attempts. Now I am sure there will be a few that can but IMO most won't be able to hit correct form first time out.

As I said I just think that there could be some benefit in using the cage to get used to stabilising the weight while you move the lower part of you body from side to side.

M

So you think you should do the exercise in a manner that removes the entire point of the exercise.?

• Advertisement

As I said I just think that there could be some benefit in using the cage to get used to stabilising the weight while you move the lower part of you body from side to side, even if you only moved your legs from the 12 o clock position to 9 and back and then 12 to 3 and back.

M

thats like half squatting.....or curling in the rack just incase!

So you think you should do the exercise in a manner that removes the entire point of the exercise.?

No I don't, but I think it would be tricky on your FIRST ATTEMPT to stabilise a weight over head while you are moving your lower body in the required fashion. I simply thought that getting used to stabilising the weight in the relative safety of the cage might help. Simple as that.

M

Frankly I would rather take the safe approach the take the risk of injuring myself or worse still somebody else.

But to each their own.

M

NO SQUATTING IN THE CURL RACK!

I don't see it like that.

If you were teaching somebody to squat for the very first time, would you have them use the safety bars in the cage or not?

When you are squatting or curling for that matter you are standing and have (or at least should have) a pretty solid stance and good balance.

I don't imagine you are quite so well balanced while laying down with a weighted bar held above your head.

So my suggestion was simply that it may help to get used to stabilise the weight. You all don't agree obviously, that's ok. No issue.

M

Frankly I would rather take the safe approach the take the risk of injuring myself or worse still somebody else.

But to each their own.

M

Frankly, if you don't think the exercise is safe, don't do it.

But....but its in the 300 workout.
    You have to do it.

zulfiya-chinshanlo-2009-11-22-4-41-7.jpg

I can get a kilogram more over my head than she can.....

she weighs half of what i do.

She's 16.

256.png

• Advertisement

Alternatively you can do a modified form of the exercise and build up to doing the exercise as it's meant to be performed.

Here is what somebody calls floor wipers. This could easily be done in a cage. This is how I envision most first timers would look, though maybe without the control over the bar on their first attempts that this guy has.

Here is somebody elses version of floor wipers. I don't believe the additional floor press is by design :)

And here is where you should be aiming to get to

M

I'd say the first vid could well be harder than the last.

Also if you don't have a spotter do a fúcking pullover you fanny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

you'd want to be pretty retarded to injure yourself doing a floorwiper..

They said it couldn't be done ...

... But it has been done :)

A) His toes are going nowhere near the plates.

B) Look at the state of him.

:cool:

• Advertisement

Hey B-Builder, cheers for the info, TBH that's pretty much the way I expect to try the floor wipers myself, the thing I don't understand is - why does'nt he just move the barbell so it's touching the front of the cage. That way the plates will come out infront of the cage, the cage won't get in the way of his legs...

he would have to move his pink mat then

But the Livestrong wrist band counters femininity of the pink mat... Oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

zulfiya-chinshanlo-2009-11-22-4-41-7.jpg

I can get a kilogram more over my head than she can.....

she weighs half of what i do.

She's 16.

256.png

130kg, impressive.

Push press or jerk or what.

he would have to move his pink mat then

The mat is not "Pink" it is Mauve ;)

M

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement