Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

ow, my hand. and just when i was getting back into training. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

any news coming in from the worlds yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

any news coming in from the worlds yet?

vis probly set a new SHW senior equipped deadlift world record raw with one leg...

Parsley wrote: »
    vis probly set a new SHW senior equipped deadlift world record raw with one leg...

while warming up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Not gonna spoil it for the lads, but they did really well. Vis's lifting was outrageous. Liam kept me update thru the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Hanley wrote: »
    Not gonna spoil it for the lads, but they did really well. Vis's lifting was outrageous. Liam kept me update thru the day!

That <insert breach of forum charter>, couldn't have lumped in a group text.

That <insert breach of forum charter>, couldn't have lumped in a group text.

Oh... you didn't get a phone call no?

Oh... you didn't get a phone call no?

<expletive> just wants some of your <pink fluffy clouds> leanness to rub off on him because he's a fan of the <pink fluffy clouds>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Hanley asked me to keep him updated.
    COH texted me for updates.
    Kieran Dolan rang me for updates.

see a pattern developing here L?
    and you;re half right.
    When i want advice on how to be fat, Ill ask you.
    or else ill just search my memory banks or look at old photos.........

Also, reception in there was non existant.

my phone was reduced to a camera.

that said i got some good vids of the deadlifting.

Some great lifting witnesses on the day.
    290kg DL by a guy 82.4kg BW.

240kg DL by a 65 year old man.

Vis and Podge pulling sick amounts.

good day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Watching some crap called 'fat and proud' these people are seriously disillusioned!

Some girl who is a size 30 "You can be fat and healthy, I'm just as fit and healthy as thin people"

Some guy "It's just like being born gay you can be born fat"

Love. It. :rolleyes:

OMG OMG, NO MORE CLOUDS

750541.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭SpookyBastard

Watching some crap called 'fat and proud' these people are seriously disillusioned!

Some girl who is a size 30 "You can be fat and healthy, I'm just as fit and healthy as thin people"

Some guy "It's just like being born gay you can be born fat"

Love. It. :rolleyes:

Yeah. A couple of recent studies have shown that slightly overweight people actually live longer than people of 'healthy weight'. Although I take issue with the somewhat arbitrary boxes which we define as 'normal' 'obese' etc. The problem (the studies have been misused before... they were about mortality, not quality of life/health) is taking the idea that some 'overweight' people live longer than 'normal' weight people and then turning that into 'you can be overweight and just as healthy... doesn't matter how much overweight'. Then again, living and similar channels wouldn't have any programs if they didn't play with extremes :p

Then again, if we stopped as a society looking down on folks who are overweight and labelling them as lazy slobs... or assuming that they're only fat because they don't want to loose weight then maybe there wouldn't be shows like this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

see a pattern developing here L?
    and you;re half right.
    When i want advice on how to be fat, Ill ask you.
    or else ill just search my memory banks or look at old photos
    Give it a rest Liam, this is exactly the kind of stuff we don't need here anymore, there's absolutely no need for it and theres a million other places you can adopt that kind of posting.

Ye can stick your forum up your hoop as far as i'm concerned.

Good fucking night.

g'em wrote: »
    Give it a rest Liam, this is exactly the kind of stuff we don't need here anymore, there's absolutely no need for it and theres a million other places you can adopt that kind of posting.

I remember the time the internet was fun.

Mr L will be taking a month off from the froum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Ach, seriously..

I remember the time the internet was fun.

Grand, I'm happy to have this out here, I'm all for transparency.

I'm all for fun - I'll indulge in banter and slagging and I generally give as good as I get - and I get lots. But the banter has taken over so many threads and its created a hostile environment. In order for the internet to be fun does it have to be at someone else's expense? How do you think all the slagging appears to outsiders? This is, at the end of the day, meant to be a supportive and welcoming forum and for the last few weeks its been at the polar opposite end of that scales. You guys all know each other in RL, you're friends on fb, there's plenty of room for banter there, why is it so vital for it be here too?

There was a private forum requested for this very reason which I went out of my way to organise and yet it now lies mostly unused. The Fitness Forum is subject to the very same rules as the rest of boards.ie and a lot of the stuff that goes on here simply wouldn't fly anywhere else. I know most of you guys in RL and I have a lot of time for you but my actions here are purely in the forum's interest, as are all the Fitness Mods.

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    Ach, seriously..

Yes, seriously. If anyone else had said it the same would be done, are we supposed to make special exceptions for people we know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Ok.
    I'll play ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

as a regular reader of this forum (not so much nowdays though) ive seen this pattern loads of times before and IMO either banter is allowed or its not.. it seems like its tolerated sometimes and engaged in by mods also and then someone decides its not ok (until next time). personal abuse just ruins the forum for everybody.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ye can stick your forum up your hoop as far as i'm concerned.

Good fucking night.

Exactly the attitude this forum can do without.

It would help immensely if regular posters could create a more positive environment on our Fitness forum. No problems with having a laugh, slagging, joking, etc, but constant homophobic references, childish insults, 1 line After Hours style rebukes reflect badly on the A) the poster and B) the forum itself.

The forum belongs to all regulars and you need to see it as a community rather than "me and my mates vs the the newbs/the mods/the other gym/etc"

I'm not expecting eloquent flowing prose in each post. Raise your game a little please.

BossArky wrote: »
    1 line After Hours style rebukes reflect badly on the A) the poster and B) the forum itself.

The forum belongs to all regulars and you need to see it as a community rather than "me and my mates vs the the newbs/the mods/the other gym/etc"

I'm not expecting eloquent flowing prose in each post. Raise your game a little please.

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians, tbh.

More people seem concerned with arguing with established posters who actually know what they're talking about than actually learning or getting information across.

See dartstothesea's comment re: coaching in the fitness forum needs you thread for the perfet example. What's the point putting together big posts when that's the sort of treatment you get?

There's nothing wrong with debate, but when you have to think more about how much you qualify your post, rather than the quality of the info in it, just so some newb can't (or won't) pick up on the obvious point you're trying to make, would you really be arsed? I know I wouldn't be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Day two of the worlds: 80 year old 65kg French man with a beard the size of his head deadlifted 175kg and was up dancing at the reception afterwards while still wearing his lifting shoes.
    Didn't get to see much lifting on the first day because I was helping the good half (national records in the squat deadlift and total :D) but I did manage to see: Sean Donelan pullin 215kg at 60kg, Laurence McConnell squatting 240kg at 65 years old, Vis smoking the piss out of his opening squat and that Amen-Ra guy destroying a 290kg deadlift at 82kg. Very impressive stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Didn't get to see much lifting on the first day because I was helping the good half (national records in the squat deadlift and total :D)

Awesome news.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

See dartstothesea's comment re: coaching in the fitness forum needs you thread for the perfet example. What's the point putting together big posts when that's the sort of treatment you get?
    That must be the first time on this forum I've actually sort of gone out on a limb to directly call bull**** on something someone said that I genuinely thought was pure crazy, and now I'm your big example about typical posting in the forum?

Sorry if I shouldn't be quoting it in this thread but just to quickly address what you said about it:
    wrote:
    And of those people who is actually bothered posting anymore? Because pretty much any time anyone you listed posts, they get attacked and people try to pick their posts apart on a pedantic w*nker line by line basis.
    Again, I think this is pretty much the first time I did anything like it.
    Yeah I was pedantic with your man, have my reasons for it but I don't think many here would give a toss about them and I was keen to drop it as quickly as I took it up to be honest.
    Hanley wrote:
    The incumbents aren't the problem. It's the people with a little knowledge and a lot of attitude
    Yeah, this is me. Definitely on the attitude, at least.
    Emphasis on only little knowledge, because...
    Hanley wrote:
    hoping to establish themselves as some sort of expert
    ...this really, really isn't me. I'm basically just here to learn. If I ever begin fancying myself as remotely knowledgeable I'm sure I'll be too stingy to go spreading my infinite wisdom around free of charge.
    Believe that or don't dude but if you're arsed (I'll assume you're not, just to save you having to tell me that), at least look through my posts here.
    Like I said, it was a one time thing because I found one guy's statement crazy and unhelpful.

Oh, and I didn't multi-quote you to have a big, out-of-context go at every little thing you said, sorry if you'll feel that way. I just find it's the clearest way to reply to someone.

That must be the first time on this forum I've actually sort of gone out on a limb to directly call bull**** on something someone said that I genuinely thought was pure crazy, and now I'm your big example about typical posting in the forum?

Sorry if I shouldn't be quoting it in this thread but just to quickly address what you said about it:

Again, I think this is pretty much the first time I did anything like it.
    Yeah I was pedantic with your man, have my reasons for it but I don't think many here would give a toss about them and I was keen to drop it as quickly as I took it up to be honest.

So it was personal yeah? And you just wanted the opportunity to call him out on something?

Yeah, this is me. Definitely on the attitude, at least.
    Emphasis on only little knowledge, because...

...this really, really isn't me. I'm basically just here to learn. If I ever begin fancying myself as remotely knowledgeable I'm sure I'll be too stingy to go spreading my infinite wisdom around free of charge.
    Believe that or don't dude but if you're arsed (I'll assume you're not, just to save you having to tell me that), at least look through my posts here.
    Like I said, it was a one time thing because I found one guy's statement crazy and unhelpful.

Oh, and I didn't multi-quote you to have a big, out-of-context go at every little thing you said, sorry if you'll feel that way. I just find it's the clearest way to reply to someone.

You're completely over reacting. That's par for the course on this forum tho so I'm not really surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

So it was personal yeah? And you just wanted the opportunity to call him out on something?
    Ah jesus, no, that's not what I meant at all. Nothing personal. My 'reasons' were that a bit of regular, gentle peer pressure about using good English eventually leaves you with a forum where everyone can and does properly use the language they're supposed to be posting in... I know plenty will be quick to shout "this is a fitness board, you should be training instead of caring!!" but like I said though, was keen to drop it immediately and didn't even want to go on about the reasons I brought it up.

wrote:
    You're completely over reacting. That's par for the course on this forum tho so I'm not really surprised.
    Yeah, pretty much agree. Given the reaction and all I definitely feel now I should've never bothered reacting, anyway.
    Gonna just go back to happily lurking as usual instead of calling bull**** on anything I find silly/untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

This came on my mp3 today when I was working out.epic song..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Doing 5/3/1 at the moment guys...Want to do squat and military press tomorrow and deadlift and bench press on the Saturday - good idea/bad idea?

I'm basically trying to work out a schedule for the run up to Christmas and getting these two sessions done over the two days would mean I could fit two cycles in before the 25th Dec (not doing the deload week inbetween - jumping straight to Week 1 of the second cycle).

Appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

It's doable, somethings to consider though.

1) You should squat before military press and you should deadlift before benching. I think wendler even mentions this in the book.
    2) You might be better served by doing all of your main lifts before doing your accessory work especially if you're doing big but boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Renn wrote: »
    Doing 5/3/1 at the moment guys...Want to do squat and military press tomorrow and deadlift and bench press on the Saturday - good idea/bad idea?

I'm basically trying to work out a schedule for the run up to Christmas and getting these two sessions done over the two days would mean I could fit two cycles in before the 25th Dec (not doing the deload week inbetween - jumping straight to Week 1 of the second cycle).

Appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks!

I am by no means an expert, but i did 531boring but big for a few months, i wouldnt try do two sessions combined your asking for trouble really, if the weight is anyway heavy you will be fooked trying to do for e.g. deadlift and bench together especially on the 531 day. it was designed at one cycle a month id stick to that. the more experienced lads might think different but that my two cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

BossArky wrote: »

This is exactly the issue BossArky!

I presume dartothseas and Hanley's conversation realated to my comment about not getting proper form solely from a book.Well, I stand by that.

@Hanley, your attitude in your posts stinks imo, and has for a long time.
    You deem yourself knowledgeable, and you are, but you just don't seem to be able to leave your ego at the door. It goes everywhere with you.. right down to replying to mods.. all smart comments and profanities etc. Far too long have you acted this way. It doesn't help anybody, least of all your reputation.

@dartotheseas, if you have an issue with a post then engage in intelligent debate rather than referring to my point of view as 'horse****'.

As I said before, I fully support the mods here because this forum needs a clean slate. The hostile environment g'em speaks of does exist and has for a long time. This is not a forum for little groups to slag each other; this forum is for people to be supported in attaining their goals, to be educated in their training and at times to engage in intelligent, calm and constructive debate.

eroo wrote: »

I presume dartothseas and Hanley's conversation realated to my comment about not getting proper form solely from a book.Well, I stand by that.

You deem yourself knowledgeable, and you are, but you just don't seem to be able to leave your ego at the door. It goes everywhere with you.. right down to replying to mods.. all smart comments and profanities etc. Far too long have you acted this way. It doesn't help anybody, least of all your reputation.

@dartotheseas, if you have an issue with a post then engage in intelligent debate rather than referring to my point of view as 'horse****'.

As I said before, I fully support the mods here because this forum needs a clean slate. The hostile environment g'em speaks of does exist and has for a long time. This is not a forum for little groups to slag each other; this forum is for people to be supported in attaining their goals, to be educated in their training and at times to engage in intelligent, calm and constructive debate.

Good lord....Do we really need this?

These peoples last posts were two days ago.
    What is dragging them up to lecture them really going to achieve?
    Its certainly not constructive.

Lol you're funny... I could have absolutely served you the other day when you started talking about squats and deadlifts involving triple extenstion, but I figured you may have just made a mistake or didn't realise what you were saying, so I was nice about it. Good to see that was appreciated.

I know most of the mods in real life, some I would consider friends. Others have been very helpful to me, as I have to them. I talk to them on here as I would in person. I'm sure they'll confirm that. If you don't like that, tough. If they don't like it, they can tell me.

But it's funny that you think my posts don't help anybody. Have a look at my post history over the last few days and compare how many people I've helped versus how many you have k?

Ugh. There's my ego again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Basically confirming what he's just said, wp.

No, no he isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,296 ✭✭✭COH

Its not arrogance if its fact

(Jesus said that)

But it's funny that you think my posts don't help anybody. Have a look at my post history over the last few days and compare how many people I've helped versus how many you have k?

Ugh. There's my ego again.

You're right there it is again, rearing it's ugly head. Sad really that you can't leave your ego behind you.

Also, I didn't say every single one of your posts don't help anybody.. just the ones where your ego takes over or your use of profanities take over.

An example being; some posters may find that offensive, not me personally, but some might.
    F*ck you, you f*cking b*stards. I hate you all. Leave me alone.

I was on my period.

F*ck you all. Shower of c*nts

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

COH wrote: »
    Its not arrogance if its fact

(Jesus said that)

I said nothing of the sort!!!

Ugh. Crap. I did it AGAIN.

An example being; some posters may find that offensive, not me personally, but some might.

"

You missed the obvious humour in that post. I actually feel sorry for you if you don't realise I was joking. Look at the people who thanked it, they're people I know in real life, and understand the back story to it.

I'm sorry if you didn't get it, but the original post was made by Kevpants as a joke, and I responded in kind. Blame him.

You're right there it is again, rearing it's ugly head. Sad really that you can't leave your ego behind you.

Also, I didn't say every single one of your posts don't help anybody.. just the ones where your ego takes over or your use of profanities take over.

You said "it doesn't help anybody". Is it unreasonable to infer from the that, that you meant I never help anyone?

What about that post contained any ego to it? It was a simple statement of fact.

I said nothing of the sort!!!

You're not my son either

eroo with all fairness to Hanley that particular post was purely in jest - he'd had the mick taken put of him and he took it in good sport.

I think Hanley will also be the first to admit that he has a monstrously big ego, it's helped him get to where he is today and it's not a bad thing when it's used productively. But I think he's really taken on board a lot of stuff that's been said in the last few days and I've been getting a great vibe here since we started to discuss what needs to change.

I don't like singling out posters, it rarely comes to any good, and so I'd like us to dropthis now and continue with the really positive and encouraging atmosphere that's been generated by the Sticky revamp thread.

When I say "I'd like... " I do of course mean (anyone) post any more about this and yore banned :)

P.S. The only ego here bigger than Hanleys is mine and I'll freely admit that so it's not at all insult when I comment on his - it certainly isn't meant that way :)

Duly noted g'em. As I said in my last post, I have said my piece.

P.S. The only ego here bigger than Hanleys is mine and I'll freely admit that

As a self made man who worships his creator I strongly disagree

P.S. The only ego here bigger than Hanleys is mine and I'll freely admit that so it's not at all insult when I comment on his - it certainly isn't meant that way :)

FEED THE EGO.

That's all this is doing anyway. Aside from proving everything that I've said is wrong with forum.

Aaaaaaaanyway moving on, anyone going to see The Twelves tonight? Should be good!

• Advertisement

COH wrote: »
    As a self made man who worships his creator I strongly disagree

This is about to descend into "my ego is bigger than your ego" and to be honest, I don't feel the need to prove my ego to anyone, and think that anyone who does musn't have that big of an ego anyway :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement