Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

eroo wrote: »
    Duly noted g'em. As I said in my last post, I have said my piece.

And when I say drop it that's exactly what I mean, your post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

g'em wrote: »
    And when I say drop it that's exactly what I mean, your post has been deleted.

Just as well I resisted the temptation to reply so!! Look at me learning...

Hey guys, how do you like your eggs in the morning?

COH wrote: »
    As a self made man who worships his creator I strongly disagree
    DIY enthusiasts will alway think what they've made is best. Great effort though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

I wish my gym was having a Christmas party. And that I was friends with everyone there. All I've got is some work excuse for piss-up. Do not want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I wish my gym was having a Christmas party.

I'm having a Christmas party with the MMA club - I'm gonna try to convince everyone to have it in the actual club, so we can stick on the gloves and beat the crap out of each other, while steamed! What could possibly go wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I'm having a Christmas party with the MMA club - I'm gonna try to convince everyone to have it in the actual club, so we can stick on the gloves and beat the crap out of each other, while steamed! What could possibly go wrong?

Nothing. Nothing at all could go wrong.

benStillerDoIt.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Anyone else watchin Commando?? Jaysis the Arnie fella is some man for killin lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Just had Buffalo for the first time. It's pretty nice, like beef but slightly nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yeah, tis pretty nice, to this day the nicest steak dinner i've had was a "fillet trio" in Paris.
    3 100g fillets, beef, buffalo & ostrich, serves with the usual, choice of sauce etc

Has anyone ever had a dexa scan done?
    Was thinking of getting bf% measure with calipers, i've contacted a few guys and they are trying to sell bigger services, basically, biosignature type advice to problem areas.
    The dexa scan, alone with no analysis is cheaper?

Thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Mellor wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting bf% measure with calipers, i've contacted a few guys and they are trying to sell bigger services, basically, biosignature type advice to problem areas.

Thoughts
    I've never had a dexa scan done, I get my BF% measured on a continuous basis with the same person taking the measurements using a capilers.

Are you planning getting a once off measurement or will it be more continuous monitoring? Based on this article http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/problems-with-measuring-body-composition.html you are probably better off getting the dexa scan. Then you could 'calibrate' the reading yourself with another method such as by photos or taking your own skinfold measurements or getting one of those bio-impedence BF scales and monitor your status from then on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Yeah, tis pretty nice, to this day the nicest steak dinner i've had was a "fillet trio" in Paris.
    3 100g fillets, beef, buffalo & ostrich, serves with the usual, choice of sauce etc

Buffalo and ostrich are nice, but you can't beat warthog fillet. Seriously. It's a slighty darker colour than pork but is as tender as veal. And is absolutely savage! Had it a couple of times in Zimbabwe earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

CFI are having their christmas party at the gym. I can see it now drunken thrusters and kipping pullups to a cacophony of camera flashes right after of course popping that shirt off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Thoughts

I've had a DEXA scan done. It was delightfully free as I work in a facility that has one. We also have a BodPod, which I find more accurate. The DEXA is great for bone density, obviously enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

token wrote: »
    CFI are having their christmas party at the gym. I can see it now drunken thrusters and kipping pullups to a cacophony of camera flashes right after of course popping that shirt off.

I can see this being a problem with the no bucket philosophy you guys have....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I'm sure it must have been linked before all the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

token wrote: »

Bagsy the whiteboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Bagsy the whiteboard.
    Threshold, fran, margheritas, overload, weider magazines, birthday party...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Molly wrote: »
    Just had Buffalo for the first time. It's pretty nice, like beef but slightly nicer

funny ya posted that today cos Im just after havin wild venison for the 1st time. something cool about eating meat that is completely uncontaminated, never eaten anything but what grew on the land in our area and wasnt butchered in some big industrial unit along with god knows what else.
    ....Plus its dang tasty!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

funny ya posted that today cos Im just after havin wild venison for the 1st time. something cool about eating meat that is completely uncontaminated, never eaten anything but what grew on the land in our area and wasnt butchered in some big industrial unit along with god knows what else.
    ....Plus its dang tasty!!

I'd prefer Venison over any meat I've had so far.Its very lean though so you have to know how to cook it or its gonna dry out real sharpish.Its lovely with a red wine marinade.

Everyone's going on about venison... gonna have to try it out.

• Advertisement

Remmy wrote: »
    I'd prefer Venison over any meat I've had so far.Its very lean though so you have to know how to cook it or its gonna dry out real sharpish.Its lovely with a red wine marinade.

yeah couldnt get over the sheer lack of fat on it-I just seared it while covered, job done, I sliced some off n havin a go at jerky as we speak, hangin it infront of the fire....hope its ok, if not ill know in the morning!!

Hanley wrote: »

well if ya like steak ull def like it, what i had there was like when ya get a particularly strong tasting steak. Im very lucky though, I found out my cuz has taken up hunting and my familys land and surrounding area is infested with them and he just gives away any excess he has

mloc wrote: »
    I've had a DEXA scan done. It was delightfully free as I work in a facility that has one. We also have a BodPod, which I find more accurate. The DEXA is great for bone density, obviously enough.
    Why do you find the bod pod more accurate? I thought dexa was direct measurement of density, where others (calipers, hydrostatic, maybe bod pod) assume density values.
    What sort of difference are you talking between the two.

It's not that expensive for a dexa scan, they offer various packages where he give a complete explanation and run through various things for an hour afterwarsd, but I just what the scan. It's mostly just for me, so I know my own figure, then use pics and tape from here for a few months, then repeat maybe in 6 months
    well if ya like steak ull def like it, what i had there was like when ya get a particularly strong tasting steak. Im very lucky though, I found out my cuz has taken up hunting and my familys land and surrounding area is infested with them and he just gives away any excess he has

I doubt he has a deer rifle if he just took up hunting, you'll prob have to wait a while for freebies.

Frogdog wrote: »
    Buffalo and ostrich are nice, but you can't beat warthog fillet. Seriously. It's a slighty darker colour than pork but is as tender as veal. And is absolutely savage! Had it a couple of times in Zimbabwe earlier this year.
    hmm, never had boar, would love to try it.
    I kinda have a running thing where I try out strange meats, (not all are strange, just not supermarket stuff)
    on top of buffalo and ostrich, there's been rabbit and about 4 or 5 different game birds, venison, kangaroo and I passed on crocodile, looked awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Yes.
    Yes you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Dead Ed wrote: »
    Bagsy the whiteboard.

A lecture on broad time and modal domains as it applies to drinking and getting smashed would go down well. With notable mention to the drinking of gin.

I kinda have a running thing where I try out strange meats, (not all are strange, just not supermarket stuff)
    on top of buffalo and ostrich, there's been rabbit and about 4 or 5 different game birds, venison, kangaroo and I passed on crocodile, looked awful

Croc isn't too bad at all. It's got the texture of a fleshy, meaty type of white fish and would you believe it, tastes like chicken. Had a nice Croc burger up in Cairns earlier this year.

Croc isn't too bad at all. It's got the texture of a fleshy, meaty type of white fish and would you believe it, tastes like chicken. Had a nice Croc burger up in Cairns earlier this year.

Croc is good alright, yeah it does tastes like chicken.

Shark is nice too, kind of like cod, nice and meaty with no bones either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

l

I was in Greece in September and wild boar is in season there for the religious festivals..they spit roast it or cook in a giant oven,..it is literally the finest food i've ever eaten.
    Alll this talk of wild meat reminds me i must do a spot of shooting soon,see if i can get a pheasant or two!

• Advertisement

I had a lot of camel stew in Africa, it was awesome. The best meat though was the goat that we bought, killed, skinned and roasted ourselves - it wasnt necessarily the best tasting meat, but it was fantastically satisfying to kill your own food and eat it :D Raging I didn't try boar, I've heard it's really good.

lastlaugh wrote: »
    Croc is good alright, yeah it does tastes like chicken.

My mate once ate some shark at a house party. He came home to our estate and called me up to insist I come outside to look and marvel at the stars in the night sky above. Then he rolled over in the grass he was lying on and threw up violently for a few minutes.
    He may have drank too many pints of shark beer, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I had a lot of camel stew in Africa, it was awesome. The best meat though was the goat that we bought, killed, skinned and roasted ourselves - it wasnt necessarily the best tasting meat, but it was fantastically satisfying to kill your own food and eat it :D Raging I didn't try boar, I've heard it's really good.

When goat is cooked properly, it can be alright. Bad goat in Africa is just so so bad! I only ate rabbit for the first time ever when I was over there too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Goat curry is very nice..but maybe thats because they end up putting in so much spices that you cant realise how crap the goat tastes:D

I like how I actually don't have to feel uncomfortable about being a big meat eater on this forum. Definitely one thing it's got going above other circles I'd normally be in where every second person's a veg or vegan. Can't help thinking they're judging me, like :\

I like how I actually don't have to feel uncomfortable about being a big meat eater on this forum. Definitely one thing it's got going above other circles I'd normally be in where every second person's a veg or vegan. Can't help thinking they're judging me, like :\

Find new friends.

carnivore-support-group.jpg

• Advertisement

That's were I seen it too, the white colour put me off (seen it raw before, v.white). Must try it, cos the colour of ostrich was off puting too, not what you'd expect from a bird. Dark red

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭COH

Ostrich is tasty as hell, as is boar and gazelle. I cant remember what else I ate. 'Carnivore' restaurant in Nairobi is the greatest place on earth

hmm, forgot to mention, my dinner tonight
    BBQ kangaroo steak, broccolli and homemade cayanne guacamole
    nyom nyom nyom

COH wrote: »
    Ostrich is tasty as hell, as is boar and gazelle. I cant remember what else I ate. 'Carnivore' restaurant in Nairobi is the greatest place on earth

Haha I've heard about that place, it's awesome!

I went on a trip earlier this year around a few countries in Southern Africa and some guys that were on my trip had started in Kenya and been to that place. Apparently the waiters come around to your table with the different meats on swords that they slice off right in front of you. You have your own green flag on your table which shows that you want more meat and when you put up the red flag that's when they stop coming up to you.

The place where I tried warthog (among various type of antelope/gazelle, ostrich, buffalo, etc) was called "Boma, The House of Eating" just outside Victoria Falls.

Cool restaurant names, if nothing else! :pac:

Haha I've heard about that place, it's awesome!

I went on a trip earlier this year around a few countries in Southern Africa and some guys that were on my trip had started in Kenya and been to that place. Apparently the waiters come around to your table with the different meats on swords that they slice off right in front of you. You have your own green flag on your table which shows that you want more meat and when you put up the red flag that's when they stop coming up to you.

Yeah, I walked in, saw the meat on swords and new I was in my spiritual home. We went last man standing on it.. still have my green flag of victory!

• Advertisement

I'm not gonna lie... I'm a bit scared of squatting tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

i'm going squatting now, and it's in my knee's interest to cooperate... or i'll be tempted to try fix the f*cker with a hammer.

I'm not gonna lie... I'm a bit scared of squatting tonight.

Ugh. Better go. 172kg 5x7 here I come.

Parsley wrote: »
    i'm going squatting now, and it's in my knee's interest to cooperate... or i'll be tempted to try fix the f*cker with a hammer.

I'll be trying the 'fix knee with hammer' approach tomorrow if it doesn't cop on soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

It used to be fantastic, in recent years it hasn't been able to get a lot of the wild meats due to changes in wildlife legislation. Even the farmed ostrich isn't always on offer. They used to have everything from giraffe, eland, buffalo to warthog. As far as I know everything is now farmed and subject to availability.

I thought shark stored nitrogenous waste in their flesh and had a very acquired 'ammonia' taste!

leopardus wrote: »
    I thought shark stored nitrogenous waste in their flesh and had a very acquired 'ammonia' taste!

The Shark I had was 'Gummy Shark', it's sold as 'flake' in Austrailia and you get it in the chip shop.
    Lovely battered fillet, no strange taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Not-being-Vegetarian/214985465358

:pac:

lastlaugh wrote: »
    The Shark I had was 'Gummy Shark', it's sold as 'flake' in Austrailia and you get it in the chip shop.
    Lovely battered fillet, no strange taste.

Hmm, might try that next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Holland and Barretts have some excellent sales on at the moment. On their website everything is half price, plus free delivery over 30 euro.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/

I was in their Galway shop yesterday and they have a "Buy anything in the shop, buy any other item for 1 cent" deal. I stocked up on vit c :D.

They also sell Meridian peanut butter. The guy in the shop said it was going to last for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

With awesome music like that he was never gonna fail LOL

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement