Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

sometimes I rolls a tennis ball across the front delt area/chest, lean up against a wall with the tennis ball between you and the wall in the right place and move it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭COH

sometimes I rolls a tennis ball across the front delt area/chest, lean up against a wall with the tennis ball between you and the wall in the right place and move it around.

Sounds pretty romantic

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dantes87

Parsley wrote: »
    how does one roll shoulders? i has tennis balls and a foam roller...

Use the balls or big tube to explore the area.
    When you find a sensitive spot, you should focus on it and try to penetrate deeper.

This should give a reaction and possibly even a scream

Afterwards you will feel much better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

dantes87 wrote: »
    Use the balls or big tube to explore the area.
    When you find a sensitive spot, you should focus on it and try to penetrate deeper.

This should give a reaction and possibly even a scream

rauch28.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Why bother with your shoudlers, you fix everything else by rolling your ITBs

he must read the same book as you....

my back's f*cked...i know...ill squat 200kg on it 2 days out of 3 and see what happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Parsley wrote: »
    how does one roll shoulders? i has tennis balls and a foam roller...

I could make suggestions or post interesting videos to help.
    But these days trying to help is like strolling out of the alamo round here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭COH

he must read the same book as you....

my back's f*cked...i know...ill squat 200kg on it 2 days out of 3 and see what happens...

Its called not being a pussy.. you should try it sometime :D

COH wrote: »

<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

COH wrote: »

ah its ok hunny...did smolov upset you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Orla Smith (powerlifter) was on the 4 oclock show on RTE, anyone else catch it?

http://www.womeninsport.ie/Active_Living/Profiles/Orla_Smith_-_Power_Lifter.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Just browsing myprotein there and saw Krill oil for 999.99e, what the ****? Am I missing something? Mistake surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Yeah it's a mistake. It's something like £30 on the UK site. Been like that for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

squod wrote: »
    Orla Smith (powerlifter) was on the 4 oclock show on RTE, anyone else catch it?

http://www.womeninsport.ie/Active_Living/Profiles/Orla_Smith_-_Power_Lifter.html

You think they'd have a pic of a locked out deadlift....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thinking of going for a Dexa scan next week.

Options are either:
    Basic scan $85 (up from 60 before xmas)
    or
    Scan plus 30 min consulation $125

I'm thinking that the scan is enough really. Will give me BF% plus breakdown by area (torso, L-arm/leg, R-arm/leg etc)

Is there anywhere online I could use as reference to check distribution. Have a feeling that stomach is going to be above average. Even allowing for the fact that it carries a high proportion of fat in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Question about bulking;
    (1)Eat everything in sight and do it as fast as possible and don't care about calories, % breakdown or anything like that.
    (2)Take a relatively high daily calorie intake goal and eat to that
    (3)Slow and over time (taking note of % break downs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭rocky

Go with a moderate 500 kcals surplus and lift heavy weights, also get at least 1g protein per pound BW/LBM. Macro percentages do not matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Seems to be a huge amount of people with fitness logs these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Usual January buzz maybe.

I don't ever seem to recall it being this busy, good to see it though.

We'll see does it last for the full month though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

It's January.

There are a huge amount of people with gym memberships too, doesn't mean they're actually going to use them:pac:

• Advertisement

G86 wrote: »
    It's January.

There are a huge amount of people with gym memberships too, doesn't mean they're actually going to use them:pac:

From what I can see it's even busier than previous Januarys.

I have noticed the gym has been fairly quiet this year, it's usually wedged this time of year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I moved my log to another site but I check the ones here periodically to make sure I'm out-lifting gymfreak and G86. It's all the motivation I need.

:pac:

g'em wrote: »
    I moved my log to another site but I check the ones here periodically to make sure I'm out-lifting gymfreak and G86. It's all the motivation I need.

:pac:

Just give us another few months...:D

:D and you've got a big advantage now, I've got something majorly wrong with my hip and surgery is looking more and more likely :( minimal weightlifting and lots of TBDLs and bench squats for me...

*cries*

:D and you've got a big advantage now, I've got something majorly wrong with my hip and surgery is looking more and more likely :( minimal weightlifting and lots of TBDLs and bench squats for me...

*cries*

I wouldn't be complaining if I got to do TBDL's all the time:D:D

Hope you get it sorted though!

and you've got a big advantage now, I've got something majorly wrong with my hip and surgery is looking more and more likely minimal weightlifting and lots of TBDLs and bench squats for me...

*cries*

Go Bench Only? :)

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Go Bench Only? :)

I'd love to see her get on a weightlifting platform and ask to bench... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

lads, whats the crack with IP, ive got a free pass so im up for heading out some day, what day do you guys usually head in and what time. COH wants me to fight hanley :) (i thoroughly believe ill get crushed though)

also, gi or no-gi :)

lads, whats the crack with IP, ive got a free pass so im up for heading out some day, what day do you guys usually head in and what time. COH wants me to fight hanley :) (i thoroughly believe ill get crushed though)

leash.jpg ?

Henners and Karla are normally there in the afternoon. Myself, Fullback4glin, and Hanley be there in the evenings 6ish. If you're coming in with Liam I'll give him the pass for ya, otherwise give me a shout what evening beforehand in case I'm not in. Ya could come in with COH and L...if he can drag his ass up for a Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Sure we can sort somethin out

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd love to see her get on a weightlifting platform and ask to bench... :D

Its basically paralympics weightlifting?

I'm not helping am.... I?

:D not so much, no!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭SpookyBastard

Just saw this and my bad mood has completely disappeared. It's just so cheery :D

17N1O.jpg

Conservative estimate on the number of times I tapped tonight?! 4,000,000x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

In the gym tonight I seen both something horrible and something beautiful:
    Horrible-for the 1st time in my life I seen src not just 1 guy but 2
    Beautiful-7 out of the 14 people(place was wedged, its small!) in the gym deadlifting all in the space of half an hour.
    .....definitely feeling the love in my new gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

In the gym tonight I seen both something horrible and something beautiful:
    Horrible-for the 1st time in my life I seen src not just 1 guy but 2
    Beautiful-7 out of the 14 people(place was wedged, its small!) in the gym deadlifting all in the space of half an hour.
    .....definitely feeling the love in my new gym

That is class!Apart from another guy who pulls sumo I havent ever seen anyone in my gym squat,deadlift,overhead press,power clean anything..It's pitifull.I went to a gym a bit out of my way a while back and in the space of an hour saw a guy do a ~200kg boardpress with a bench shirt,Another guy clean and press ~100kg axle 10 times and a bodybuilder guy the size of a house curl ~80-90kg on a straight bar for reps out of a squat rack.Pit of a polar opposite thing going on.

Remmy wrote: »
    That is class!Apart from another guy who pulls sumo I havent ever seen anyone in my gym squat,deadlift,overhead press,power clean anything..It's pitifull.I went to a gym a bit out of my way a while back and in the space of an hour saw a guy do a ~200kg boardpress with a bench shirt,Another guy clean and press ~100kg axle 10 times and a bodybuilder guy the size of a house curl ~80-90kg on a straight bar for reps out of a squat rack.Pit of a polar opposite thing going on.

its funny I think it can be possible to influence the gym behaviour of others in a positive way though-depending on the place-one guy started deadlifting tonight for the 1st time not that I can claim credit for that, I did get a guy last week into pull ups though.
    I think theres an awful lot to be said for training enviroment-alot more people in my new place lift heavy compared to my last place which in all seriousness my brothers other half could out lift well over half the lads in the place-since Ive moved all my lifts have gone up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

its funny I think it can be possible to influence the gym behaviour of others in a positive way though-depending on the place-one guy started deadlifting tonight for the 1st time not that I can claim credit for that, I did get a guy last week into pull ups though.
    I think theres an awful lot to be said for training enviroment-alot more people in my new place lift heavy compared to my last place which in all seriousness my brothers other half could out lift well over half the lads in the place-since Ive moved all my lifts have gone up

I definitely agree with you there.I'll be moving over to said gym the minute I get the all the cash sorted for gym membership.Also it sounds like a cliche but a gym full of a few proper strong guys tends to be way more courtious and respectfull than one with loads of little guys with chips on their shoulders just imo :)

• Advertisement

Remmy wrote: »
    I definitely agree with you there.I'll be moving over to said gym the minute I get the all the cash sorted for gym membership.Also it sounds like a cliche but a gym full of a few proper strong guys tends to be way more courtious and respectfull than one with loads of little guys with chips on their shoulders just imo :)

Guess Im lucky that way as everyone in the new place seems grand which is a good job because its that cramped its a struggle using 2 oly bars side by side and if someone started getting awkward it would get interesting!
    By the looks of it though I think theres going to be a fair few smaller guys becoming bigger guys.
    Ive noticed theres much more mixing and people talking to each other compared to my last place so maybe its that communication and exchange of knowledge thats helping bring guys on because to be honest I never seen anyone change or grow in the slightest in my last gym-well.....apart from me! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Butter on the base of a pizza, why didn't I think of it sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

001.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Rycn wrote: »
    001.jpg

Mods! Pffft... "Do as I say. Not as I do..." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

5 eggs, two rashers, 4 sausages and a chicken fillet in an omelette. Nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    5 eggs, two rashers, 4 sausages and a chicken fillet in an omelette. Nom.
    Holy jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.thieme-connect.com/ejournals/abstract/sportsmed/doi/10.1055/s-2000-7417

The Upper Range of Lumbar Spine Bone Mineral Density? An Examination of the Current World Record Holder in the Squat Lift

R. D. Dickerman1, R. Pertusi2, G. H. Smith2
    1 Surgical Neurology Branch, national Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
    2 Department of Surgery, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX, USA

Weight-bearing exercise is known to improve bone mineral density, however, excessive forces exerted on the lumbar spine can be pathologic. Cadaveric studies have calculated a hypothetical “critical compression force” at which the lumbar spine would suffer collapse. In addition, recent studies have suggested that bone density correlates with strength. Thus far studies have failed to examine elite power athletes to determine the possible upper range for bone mineral density and critical compression force. Therefore, we recruited the current world record holder in the squat lift, with a record squat lift > 469 kg, for an examination of lumbar spine bone mineral density. The subject had dual energy x-ray absorptometry (DEXA) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) performed of the lumbar spine. The subject also had serum chemistries, cell blood count and testosterone levels performed. DEXA scan revealed the highest bone mineral density reported to date. MRI revealed normal alignment, no evidence of disc herniation or compressive disc disease. There was no frank or neural foraminal canal stenosis. The estimated compressive force generated on his lumbar spine during the squat lift of > 469 kg doubles the previously reported critical compression force. This case study supports the previously described relationship between strength and bone density and redefines the upper limits of bone density in strength athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

What's he wearing when he squats?
    Surely the mechanics of it aren't such that the whole 469kg force is exerted on the bones in his lumbar spine? I mean I get what they're saying regardless - a human can put that weight on their back and squat it without their back collapsing. But I'm curious to know the actual force the bones themselves can take.
    Are they always/usually the first to go, give out, if the weight is too heavy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

YAY: There's still spots available for the next White Collar Boxing charity event in April - a chance for y'all to see me finally getting punched in the face

BOO: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70124910&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dexa booked for friday.
    No idea what to expect (never been tested by any method)
    I don't know if I want it to be low, or high. I'll look the same regardless of what the machine says, its its high, it'll be easier to look better, right.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement