Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the story - the Off Topic Thread...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Mellor wrote: »
    Dexa booked for friday.
    No idea what to expect (never been tested by any method)
    I don't know if I want it to be low, or high. I'll look the same regardless of what the machine says, its its high, it'll be easier to look better, right.

I had one a few months ago for something unrelated to fitness. I was getting results at my normal doctor appointments and was just told 'everything's alright.' If I had of known what it actually was at the time I would've asked a few questions :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,640 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your results should still be on file, you could request a copy, working out BF% from the data looks pretty simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

an active deal, on the site it has details/history of the physio(s) in each location
    The Physio Company, Irelands largest Chartered Physiotherapy & Sports Injury clinics are offering fast, effective and safe treatments to help you recover faster and minimise your chance of re-injury. So whether you have injured yourself at home, at work, or on the sporting field, you might need the helping hands of one of their trained physiotherapists to get your body back on track.

Pay €25 for a 30 minute treatment with a fully Chartered Physiotherapist in one of The Physio Company's 14 clinics nationwide with today's Boards Deal, this normally costs €55!

Buy this deal now!

Dedicated and fully trained physiotherapists at The Physio Company offer the following treatments:

- Deep tissue and sports massage
    - Acupuncture
    - Sports injury treatment
    - Posture and headache management
    - Back and neck pain
    - Dry needling
    - Musculoskeletal injury treatment
    - or if you have any other unexplained aches and pains!

To see the types of conditions suitable for treatment with physiotherapy, please read this.

You can check exact locations of clinics here.

Locations:
    Cork
    Blackrock, Cork
    The Elysian, City Centre

Dublin
    City Centre
    Dublin 1 - IFSC
    Dublin 2 - Baggot St / Fitzwilliam St Upr
    Dublin 2 - Temple Bar

South Dublin
    Dublin 16 - Sandyford
    Dublin 4 - Barrow Street
    Dublin 6 - Ranelagh

North Dublin
    Dublin 11 - Santry
    Dublin 5 - Raheny
    Dublin 9 - Drumcondra Physio

West Dublin
    Co. Dublin - Citywest
    Co. Dublin - Lucan
    Newlands Cross, Clondalkin, Dublin 22

Galway
    Galway - Galway

email: patientservices@thephysiocompany.com
    tel: 01 6799685 or 1890 749746
    http://www.thephysiocompany.com

Buy this deal now!

Terms & Conditions
    • Voucher valid for 6 months
    • Not valid with other offers
    • Multiples may be purchased
    • Voucher valid in all locations
    • Please book in advance by emailing patientservices@thephysiocompany.com or calling
      01 6799685 or 1890 749746

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Dependong on where you work this might be a little NSFW

http://www.thedeadlift.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/stock/squats-vs-deadlifts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

So I'm gonna finally get a belt...

I don't want to spend that much. Looking at 2 or 3 here on amazon (I've a bunch of other stuff in my cart there so really just want to make one order off this site if possible)

Here's two double prong jobs, the first one got a good review from some lad that seems to have a clue at least:
    http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Power-Weight-Lifting-Royal/dp/B0028H1BD8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1295483067&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Power-Weight-Lifting-Black/dp/B0028H00PS/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1295482518&sr=8-21

...and here's a singleprong one from the same supplier, I'm thinking of going for this, assuming it's the same quality as the other two:
    http://www.amazon.com/Power-Lifting-belt-prone-Large/dp/B0038OSSK4/ref=pd_sbs_sg_10

They're all 4" wide and 3/8" (9.52mm) thick.

Any advice on the belts above appreciated, thanks.
    //

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Single prong thread design looks ghey, but it's soooo much easier to put on and take off than a double prong. Not that double prong is hard... Unless you're L.

All belts look grand like. There's not really a whole lot you can do to f*ck them up other than messing up the dimensions. Go onto elitefts.com and compare to their belts. You can largely disregard thickness. Anything in the 9-13mm range'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Molly wrote: »

Does that mean it's tshirt time?? Man I hope it does, I'm rockin a deadly Michael Jackson tee today 8-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I thought vegans only ate shit that fell out of trees.

On a related note;

What is the story with people who are vegetarians on "moral" grounds eating stuff that tastes and looks like meat?

I mean, have a steak ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

What is the story with people who are vegetarians on "moral" grounds eating stuff that tastes and looks like meat?

I'd say its got to do with the fact that they object to eating meat based on "morals" rather than look or taste.

Just saying

• Advertisement

hooplah wrote: »
    I'd say its got to do with the fact that they object to eating meat based on "morals" rather than look or taste.

Just saying

Well why don't they raise their own animals, on a nice fuffly cloud and feed them with love and affection and then when they die of old age eat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Well why don't they raise their own animals, on a nice fuffly cloud and feed them with love and affection and then when they die of old age eat them.

Sure where would you graze cattle in south Dublin suburbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Which ones?

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Sure where would you graze cattle in south Dublin suburbs.

They'd be buying it organic grass in little tubs, and feeding it to daisy, who naturally would live in the bedroom because they love animals so much that they couldn't leave her outside in the cold.

I mean what if daisy got the sniffles from being out in the cold?

Couldn't be giving her antibiotics, that's wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Bet daisy would taste good Nom Nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

meatw.jpg

JJayoo wrote: »
    Bet daisy would taste good Nom Nom

4668762275_cebcb83738.jpg

Carnivore cow salivates at thought of eating fat man with camera.

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    meatw.jpg

Want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

How come no one told me there was an irish biggest loser show on TV3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

ragg wrote: »
    How come no one told me there was an irish biggest loser show on TV3?

yeah, ignore me, just found out it's a english show.

MEH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I lifted weights today for the first time well over a year, probably a year and a half! Incredibly weak!

Expect a new Starting Strength log later :P

I was doing some cycling in the gym today and just noticed some chap with 80kg on the bar benching. He was shaking and couldn't do one full rep yet kept going and did 4 partial ones. He then added 5s to either side and proceeded to try and bench that. He ended up with it rolling down towards his neck and couldn't lift it back up. I ran over and pulled it off him and must have pulled something in my back. Tis killing me :mad:

Health and Fitness?

I mean ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I was doing some cycling in the gym today and just noticed some chap with 80kg on the bar benching. He was shaking and couldn't do one full rep yet kept going and did 4 partial ones. He then added 5s to either side and proceeded to try and bench that. He ended up with it rolling down towards his neck and couldn't lift it back up. I ran over and pulled it off him and must have pulled something in my back. Tis killing me :mad:

fair play to him though. I'd love to be able to (pretend) bench 80kg!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

Carl Sagan wrote: »

If I'd been the guy benching, I'd probably have recorded that in my notebook as

"80Kg X 4 full reps
    90kg X 1 full rep (with light spotting)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Are people still buying from myprotein.co.uk? I usually buy in bulk so i haven't bought anything since the Irish site went live. Was on the english site and just added a 5kg bag of whey and 11 packets of jerky to see the price between the two. The difference is over 13 euro when it told me to go to the Irish one. What a joke. Bulkpowders looks good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Are people still buying from myprotein.co.uk? I usually buy in bulk so i haven't bought anything since the Irish site went live. Was on the english site and just added a 5kg bag of whey and 11 packets of jerky to see the price between the two. The difference is over 13 euro when it told me to go to the Irish one. What a joke. Bulkpowders looks good.

Meh bulkpowders is about 11 euro delivery and factoring in the 10%discount code i would still use MP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

while youre at it check out whey consortium-prices look very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Sumo
    Professional sumo wrestlers are required to be at least 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) tall.[citation needed] Some aspiring sumo athletes have silicone implants added to the tops of their heads to reach the necessary height.
    :eek:

Before & after
    implant.jpg
    According to Mainoumi, his head was all bloody after the operation and after taking silicon out. He needed to play sumo with bloody head. In his case, a medical practitioner put a bag between the head skin and the skull. As soon as the operated opening of skin closed (more-or-less, because of lack of the time), the health practitioner put silicon small amount at a time, and gradually increase the amount. Since the silicon give pressure between the skull and the skin, it caused the further tension to pull the skin off the skull. Mainoumi said he constantly vomit because of the pain. His friends from college (Nichidai Sumo Team) helped during the difficult time, and keeping the wound clean with towels and the towels getting all bloody because of the unhealed wound on top of the head.
    “It is sickening even in just listening to Mainoumi’s story.”

The Kyokai has since banned the use of such prosthetics.

• Advertisement

So Makikomi has a fake boob in his head. cool.

gavney1 wrote: »
    If I'd been the guy benching, I'd probably have recorded that in my notebook as

"80Kg X 4 full reps
    90kg X 1 full rep (with light spotting)"

My back still hurts :mad:

I've been thinking about where I should get my next order from. Myprotein has more of a selection so I'm swaying that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Health and Fitness?

I mean ffs.

Chill out man, it'll work out just fine...

145269.jpg

...oh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

What's more embarrassing is that you changed your boards style to black.

Aramnau is cool.

http://www.euroradio.fm/en/1172/reports/45975/

"I lift 30 tons each session but carrying shopping hurts my arms"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Is that journalist trying to kill him in the last picture!?

get_img?NrArticle=45975&NrImage=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

"Health & Fitness"... Can't say I like the new change.

Question, is it a fair assumption to say that if i lost 5kg of fat that my lifts stay the same.

I assume they would but wanted to ask the guys who have exp of reasonable bulk n cuts

Question, is it a fair assumption to say that if i lost 5kg of fat that my lifts stay the same.

I assume they would but wanted to ask the guys who have exp of reasonable bulk n cuts

They would most likely drop. Bench deffo, your leverages would change slightly aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

They would most likely drop. Bench deffo, your leverages would change slightly aswell.

I lost 20lbs last spring/summer-all my lifts went up as normal apart from bench which slowed alot but my bench always has been feeble :mad:
    One thing I did do upon reading the advice of (I think) natural bodybuilder was to cut back on volume and not the amount of weight lifted to retain size while on a cut. Worked for me anyway

Depends where you're at.

Making good consistent gains without too much difficulty, shouldnt' be a negative effect.

At a high level struggling to gain, you'l probably see a drop off on your bench and squat.

If you're somewhere in the middle, don't worry too much.

• Advertisement

I'm not at a high level so hopefully won't be an issue.
    That's if I even manage to get the fat down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Liverpool agree fee for Suarez, nice.

Hopefully it doesn't mean Fernando is off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Soooo. I see you too are too lazy to try and join the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I can see Fernando fecking off if the price is right.
    It's not all bad, try being a Villa supporter! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

It's not all bad, try being a Villa supporter! ;)

Amen, Brother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I think Ricky Bruch has pancreatic cancer. Damn, I love that guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Pool may as well hang up his boots if he leaves....

kevpants wrote: »
    I think Ricky Bruch has pancreatic cancer. Damn, I love that guy.

He's not exactly a picture of health these days.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

a guy in the gym today said that a teaspoon of glutamine is the same as half a chicken, or 3 jumbo sausages and 2 eggs.

as exaggerated as that may sound, i promise it is a direct quote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement